Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Watching the periscope.tv broadcast right before the run last night, I noticed a few different things.

His crew & his family all appeard to be in very high spirits. His kids are doing some if not all of the 5k with him

He talked quite a few minutes about where the money that he raises fromt he 5k donations are going, and that is going to the Jamie Oliver foundation. 100% of all money donated for the 5k in each state is going to this foundation. That being said, if you cant afford a donation, he encourages anyone to participate regardless.

He loves everything about what he is doing. His oldest daughter spoke and talked about the raising awareness and the Jamie Oliver foundation. He loves all the support he is recieving, even it's just a message on twitter or Facebook.

While I don't think it's the best run thing in the world, I believe that everyone is passionate about what is happening and pushing forward with the task on hand.

That being said, sure there are some things that could be done differently. His website is odd to navigate, the logistics, the "rules", etc

I have gotten a few messages about why I am so passionate about this, my answer is always why not? If he inspires 1 kid to get up and get moving, or 1 adult, then it's all worth it. People here on ST are going to nit pick everything to death. Point is, there is no precident for this. There is no prior attempt at this to base it off of. If we as endourance atheletes can't appreciate what he is doing, that's sad.

this. so much this. i simply cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are so many here (seemingly?) who cannot simply appreciate the effort. i'm not exactly passionate but i really am enjoying this guys journey.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current record is 30 Ironmans in 30 days?
How many people have completed that?

Just trying to get a little clarity on the context of this endeavour.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looking like today might be an indoor event, according to facebook. how many people are going to rip him for this?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
112 miles on a trainer
26.2 miles on a treadmill.

No fucking thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i simply cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are so many here (seemingly?) //

I think the seemingly part is spot on. I have just been lurking on this thread and am fully engaged by what he is attempting to do. Is it a gimmick. of course it is. But so was crossing the english channel, or the ride across america, or the 100's of other endeavors people choose to do that require super human efforts. The IC has bitten off more than just doing the distance every day too, he has to move from state to state along with that, no easy feat in itself.

I think you misrepresent the amount of haters here, it is just a small but vocal group, so it gets pumped up out of proportion. Like most things with some controversy I guess. I could not have done this on my best year, of course it was not my talent either to be able to just keep moving 16 hours a day either. Mine was to do one thing really fast, then rest for a week and do it again. But doesn't mean i can't appreciate what it takes to do something like this, so i will be cheering quietly in the weeds as he moves through the country, with many others i would guess..
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarvinTPA wrote:
The current record is 30 Ironmans in 30 days?
How many people have completed that?

Just trying to get a little clarity on the context of this endeavour.

A year or two ago there was a triple deca ironman (30/30) and I think less than 10 completed it. http://lavamagazine.com/...-racing/?cbg_tz=-120

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he is planning 11 loops of White Rock lake. Thats 1 mile from me.

4 laps would drive me insane. It's going to take him long time, it means lots of turns. At least he wont be dodging walkers and runners today.

For sure i'll go out and run with him for a bit......once it stops pouring rain.

Edit: I stand corrected. All indoor.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Last edited by: DFWTri: Jun 17, 15 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of now, he's doing the bike on a trainer. If you head out to WRL, it'll be lonely.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
day off for the crew. :) i bet they could use it. :) maybe now mom can buy the kids something other than celery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
this. so much this. i simply cannot wrap my mind around the fact that there are so many here (seemingly?) who cannot simply appreciate the effort. i'm not exactly passionate but i really am enjoying this guys journey.

I said this a couple of pages back: An IM has an established quantity. If someone said I am going to do "something like an IM" for 50 days, while the effort would be admirable, the accomplishment would be unrecognizable. Essentially he is trading off the known quantity of completing an IM without, at this point, actually doing an IM. There is some leeway of course, but at what point does the leeway become too much? Some people say never, which is fine. Some people probably think you should have to follow IM rules to the T. Most of us are somewhere in the middle. In the end, I think that is what we are debating.

Besides a little controversy is good for the message : )
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
I wonder what the ST response would have been had a pro triathlete been attempting this 50/50/50 instead of some unknown from Utah?

OMG, can you imagine the comments? "he is ruining his career!" "bet he's doping" "what are those watts?" and, of course, "seat's too high"

i think they'd be even harder on a pro.

honestly, anyone who cannot feel some appreciation or imagine some joy at what this guy is doing on a daily basis, man, i really do pity you. it can't be easy seeing such a negative side to life.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is still swimming 2.4, biking 112, and running 26.2 correct?

Or do you think it should "Official" Ironman courses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree. And to think that this could physically be one of his "easier" days in some ways since he'll by and large be in a stationary location with easier access to creature comforts. The physical and mental toll to complete today alone would be more than I'd want, let alone following it with nearly 40 more days. It's unreal strength. I don't understand it and can't relate, but I can completly respect it.

TylerJ wrote:
112 miles on a trainer

No fucking thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure the first "Ironman" race back in 1978 didn't have a time limit etc. Again, there is confusion as to Ironman distance and WTC Ironman. This is not a WTC event, thus he has one day (24hrs) to complete the Ironman distance.
W
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is scheduled for today in Dallas at WhiteRock lake. We are currently about 2 hours into a predicted rainfall of 6" today meaning most of the planned route is or will be under water in the next hour or so. Nature is definitely not cooperating today. It's pretty hard to bike and run when the water will be waist deep or more in some places on his planned route.....

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Mr. Monty. i actually don't think there are more haters than lovers but the last couple pages were getting really negative so i wanted to speak to that.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He just had on Facebook and Twitter that he's doing an indoor Ironman today
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
once again, its indoor today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
He just had on Facebook and Twitter that he's doing an indoor Ironman today

I'm an avid supporter of less social media, so any clue as to where? I may stop by and meet this Cowboy, refill a few fluid bottles for him and egg him on.... or I might just go home and play with my baby girl after work too.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifetime Fitness
5602 Naaman Forest Blvd
Garland, TX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I understand that. Most of us would give up at the prospect of spending that kind of time indoors on a trainer, treadmill, and/or track, which is why it's all the more impressive that he'll soldier on.

Does he actually have a trainer or will the suffering be the even more torturous fitness center stationary bike?

AnthonyS wrote:
He is scheduled for today in Dallas at WhiteRock lake. We are currently about 2 hours into a predicted rainfall of 6" today meaning most of the planned route is or will be under water in the next hour or so. Nature is definitely not cooperating today. It's pretty hard to bike and run when the water will be waist deep or more in some places on his planned route.....
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he has a trainer.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by coyote pelon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there 2 weeks ago. I got ringworm on both arms. Someone bring him some tenactin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
112 miles on a trainer

No fucking thank you.

Agreed. He's a stud in my eyes just for today. I'm also in the rainy DFW area and did 4 miles on the treadmill this morning, and nearly clawed my eyes out with boredom just in that amount of time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next