Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
arby wrote:
You are free to disagree, but do some research on the first Ironman in 1978 and see if they had WTC rules.

In 1978, WTC didn't own the IRONMAN trademark. We are in the year 2015....

I'll give you action on your bet. I bet $25 that ironman JOINS into a partnership/sponsorship with the Ironcowboy (TM) BEFORE they sue him. Even money.. Want it?

No suit, no partnership = a push..

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
While most people seem to feel that a full IM indoors would be mentally grueling, i actually think it would be slightly easier than doing it outside, since you're in a temp-controlled facility with your food and drink close at hand, plus no worries about flat tires, cars, potholes, etc. So, if i were to persuade my local Gold's Gym (which is open 24/7 and is only a 5 min drive from my house) to allow me set up my trainer at the gym, and i were to do say 60 indoor "full distance triathlons" in 60 days, would i have broken the record for most back-to-back "full distance triathlons"??? To me the idea of doing it all indoors seems much more feasible just b/c the logistics are so much easier.

Just curious as to what the unofficial ST viewpoints are on this:)

I agree with you 100%. I would do all my swimming and biking indoors, and a short 5-10K loop outdoors. I am driven by logistics and efficiency though.

Indoors this challenge MIGHT be possible.. Outdoors and with his wonky logistics, I still say there is not a chance of completion. Too bad, I am intrigued AND disgusted by the challenge he has committed to.

BTW, Eric, you didn't get much response to your caloric breakdown a few pages ago, But that was fascinating. 625 calories per waking hour, and of those hours you are BSR for %85 of the time.. How can he overcome that?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
stevej wrote:
arby wrote:
You are free to disagree, but do some research on the first Ironman in 1978 and see if they had WTC rules.

In 1978, WTC didn't own the IRONMAN trademark. We are in the year 2015....

I'll give you action on your bet. I bet $25 that ironman JOINS into a partnership/sponsorship with the Ironcowboy (TM) BEFORE they sue him. Even money.. Want it?

No suit, no partnership = a push..

I just hope I can buy an IronCowboy mattress or cologne.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the weather is not so bad that he couldn't have ridden outside. Sort of bummed he is on a trainer, doesn't seem legit.

Yes, but the constant flooding that is happening right now would have likely made the day more of a challenge from a logistics standpoint than necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
While most people seem to feel that a full IM indoors would be mentally grueling, i actually think it would be slightly easier than doing it outside, since you're in a temp-controlled facility with your food and drink close at hand, plus no worries about flat tires, cars, potholes, etc. So, if i were to persuade my local Gold's Gym (which is open 24/7 and is only a 5 min drive from my house) to allow me set up my trainer at the gym, and i were to do say 60 indoor "full distance triathlons" in 60 days, would i have broken the record for most back-to-back "full distance triathlons"??? To me the idea of doing it all indoors seems much more feasible just b/c the logistics are so much easier.

As Monty said, your gimmick, your rules.
I love the bitching about not following the rules. This is the Calvin Ball of triathlon. The rules are what he says they are at the moment he says them.

"The days are just packed...", literally in this case, doing an IM a day every day:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reality TV show has got to be coming. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you done 112 miles on a trainer?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
AHare wrote:

Who cares? Back in the 1979, Terry Fox made it halfway across Canada raising money for cancer, doing approximately 1 marathon per day. Nobody cares how his marathons were marked or what rules he followed. Nowadays, the Terry Fox Run is an enormous annual fundraising event. Fox lacked professionalism too: It was him and a van for much of the run, and they were essentially ignored by the media until they made it into Ontario.

Will this guy accomplish the same thing? Probably not. But complaining that his effort isn't doing USAT-defined triathlons seems a bit nitpicky. He's also accepting external assistance from his support crew in the form of food, massages, spare bikes, etc. Who cares?

I agree they need to do better highlighting the goal online. Maybe they're better at it in person. They do have 38 or so days to get that figured out.

This is an amazing effort, I hope he makes it.
Agree. It's easy to try to complain about the rules being vague or how many hours are in a day or this or that or that he's drafting or that he's using an IV. Fact is, the guy is undertaking an extreme endurance event and he sets his own rules and is open about what he does. THere are no secrets. That means if you want to try it yourself one day, you can easily see what the spirit of his unwritten rules are and do the same and see how far you get.

As far as I am concerned he can swim with a pull buoy in the pool, a wetsuit in non-wetsuit temperatures per USAT rules, draft on the bike, have any outside assistance he likes because fact is that his accomplishment remains incredible regardless of those details. I think of it as climbing Mount Everest, some use additional oxygen and some don't. While for some people that may be a substantial difference, it's still climbing the tallest mountain in the world and there are great dangers regardless of how you do it.

So I think some more respect is in place and there's no need for some here to continue their negativity. It's annoying and makes them come across as sour losers.

I tend to agree with you guys. If he swims 2 miles today and 2.6 miles the next two days, that's close enough for me. If he rides 105 miles today and and 119 tomorrow, I am good with that. If he run/walks 27 today because it is a good downhill day, more power to him. Tomorrow he might end up running 25 miles into a headwind and uphill. I think if he covers approximately an IM per day and stays in the spirit of "doing the distance" even if there is some "over/under" I am OK as long as the "over/under" balances out. If he is constantly "under" then, sure, I'll get nit picky for the sake of being nit picky in the sense that if someone says they did something, they better stick to the spirit of what is generally accepted. I'd be totally OK if he had to do a Tim Don style stationary IM in the event of a hurricane or some crazy weather too. But I know others on here will DQ him.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the the IC's media has gotten a bit better.

I'm much relieved to learn that he's got a support crew to drive the RV and take care of his gear. For all I knew, he was making his wife do it.
It looks like they have adequate support, so its just some weird family adventure, and not like abuse of wife & kids.

Regarding the ironman triathlons, its definitely Calvin ball rules. It is what it is.

Stopped Clock

Correct twice a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And he's wearing headphones... Isn't there a marshall around to DQ him?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [FWTiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWTiger wrote:
Quote:
the weather is not so bad that he couldn't have ridden outside. Sort of bummed he is on a trainer, doesn't seem legit.

Yes, but the constant flooding that is happening right now would have likely made the day more of a challenge from a logistics standpoint than necessary.

Well, doing this in general is a challenge. Removing the elements lessens the effort. It's still bad ass that he is doing this, the indoor day is a day with an asterisk. His coach even posted it will be a "recovery day".
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I tend to agree with you guys. If he swims 2 miles today and 2.6 miles the next two days, that's close enough for me. If he rides 105 miles today and and 119 tomorrow, I am good with that. If he run/walks 27 today because it is a good downhill day, more power to him. Tomorrow he might end up running 25 miles into a headwind and uphill. I think if he covers approximately an IM per day and stays in the spirit of "doing the distance" even if there is some "over/under" I am OK as long as the "over/under" balances out. If he is constantly "under" then, sure, I'll get nit picky for the sake of being nit picky in the sense that if someone says they did something, they better stick to the spirit of what is generally accepted. I'd be totally OK if he had to do a Tim Don style stationary IM in the event of a hurricane or some crazy weather too. But I know others on here will DQ him.

If he decides to do run, swim, bike a couple days to give his legs a break between events does that still count?

I think what he is doing is pretty incredible. I am amazed, intrigued and a little incredulous. I give him nothing but praise for doing something so physically audacious.

However, I think he has already failed in the 50/50/50 challenge. The day he swam 4000 yards instead of 4000 meters and then went back and swam the extra later, he was pretty much out of it. If I missed a buoy in an event, they would not let me get in a couple extra hundred yards after the bike and before the swim...... I would just be done for the day. Again, respect. He is doing 50 days of unbelievably hard physical activity. He is attempting something that very few people would have the physical or mental strength to do. I give him all the credit in the world but Dev, he isn't really racing/doing an iron distance per day if we allow what you are suggesting. (but again, his event, his rules :-) )

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
FWTiger wrote:
Quote:

Well, doing this in general is a challenge. Removing the elements lessens the effort. It's still bad ass that he is doing this, the indoor day is a day with an asterisk. His coach even posted it will be a "recovery day".

As somebody who rides and trains almost 100% indoors, I can say with absolute certainty that my 5, 6, and 7 hour trainer rides were absolutely grueling compared to the 5-6 100+ mile training rides I did outside in preparation for my IM. There is no contest. Riding the trainer for that long is brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me where it was said today would be a recovery day?
Last edited by: TylerJ: Jun 17, 15 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
The weather is not so bad that he couldn't have ridden outside. Sort of bummed he is on a trainer, doesn't seem legit.

You people will complain about anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I agree with you 100%. I would do all my swimming and biking indoors, and a short 5-10K loop outdoors. I am driven by logistics and efficiency though.
Indoors this challenge MIGHT be possible.. Outdoors and with his wonky logistics, I still say there is not a chance of completion. Too bad, I am intrigued AND disgusted by the challenge he has committed to.
BTW, Eric, you didn't get much response to your caloric breakdown a few pages ago, But that was fascinating. 625 calories per waking hour, and of those hours you are SBR for %85 of the time.. How can he overcome that?

Aust - Thanks, I'm glad someone else enjoys a little math play now and then. I've done several similar analyses in the past and gotten no response. Anyway, i think he must be just taking in some very concentrated calories almost every 15 minutes or so for every hour that he is awake. I wonder if he is weighing himself every day as it would obv be very interesting to see if he loses weight over these 50 days. He looks to be a fairly muscular guy espec for a tri guy so he could in theory afford to lose weight w/o endangering his health per se. I'm guessing he is around 6' or 6'1" and weighs 190-195-ish, just based on the few pics I've seen. I guess i could eat 10,000 cal/day but it would be hard given that you're exercising most of your waking hrs. Also, regarding weight, if he is eating enough, he could actually gain weight due to fluid retention in his extremely sore muscles. I gain 4 lbs or so in a matter of 3-4 days every time i come off an easy week and ramp the training back up, maintain that 4 lbs for the 4-5 hard weeks, then lose it on my next easy week/taper.

One other thought: if somehow your muscles hold up and your back or legs do not just rebel at some point and send you into one massive cramp, which ends your streak of XX full tri's in a row, the biggest issue to me would simply be boredom. To me, riding at 14-15 mph and running at 13-14 min/mi would just be monumentally unexciting. Doing it all inside where you could read during the bike, and watch movies during the run, would make it much more tolerable to me. But boy, 50 or 60 straight days of that would still be extremely tough. Just the potentially huge saddles sores you could get make me wince, not to mention the lower back cramps. The lower back is being stressed hugely in all three sports and it could just rebel any moment.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw, man, those Poor Abused little kiddos. riding out the storm at an indoor water park. :) i just used your post to put this cute picture up. i like it because it shows mommy too.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 17, 15 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
aw, man, those Poor Abused little kiddos. riding out the storm at an indoor water park. :) i just used your post to put this cute picture up. i like it because it shows mommy too.

Someone check his bike trainer, what if he turned the resistance knob to 0 ?!?!?!?!?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:

I've been pro IronCowboy all along. I still hope he does it. But more and more, I get the feeling this is more about him than it is raising money for a worthy charity (both can certainly coexist). Why does he need a IronCowboy banner? The branding is starting to feel a little "WTCish"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

If he decides to do run, swim, bike a couple days to give his legs a break between events does that still count?

I think what he is doing is pretty incredible. I am amazed, intrigued and a little incredulous. I give him nothing but praise for doing something so physically audacious.

However, I think he has already failed in the 50/50/50 challenge. The day he swam 4000 yards instead of 4000 meters and then went back and swam the extra later, he was pretty much out of it. If I missed a buoy in an event, they would not let me get in a couple extra hundred yards after the bike and before the swim...... I would just be done for the day. Again, respect. He is doing 50 days of unbelievably hard physical activity. He is attempting something that very few people would have the physical or mental strength to do. I give him all the credit in the world but Dev, he isn't really racing/doing an iron distance per day if we allow what you are suggesting. (but again, his event, his rules :-) )

My thought is that if he covers 50 IM's worth of distance and is slightly over or under (it's gotta be very slight, can't be a 70 mile ride today 164 mile ride tomorrow), then it's good enough as long as on the aggregate he covers the entire distance. I kind of view it like the RAAM in that vein. In the end it is his event, his rules. It;s still a crazy feat of endurance but more so of logistics and family support.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be hard for him and his crew to be able to drive to his next stop, Shreveport, LA I think.
So what's the ruling if that happens?

Surely you can't hold it against him when it's really Bill's fault.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
It may be hard for him and his crew to be able to drive to his next stop, Shreveport, LA I think.
So what's the ruling if that happens?

Surely you can't hold it against him when it's really Bill's fault.

Maybe we submit the case to some kind of 50/50/50 supreme court or tribunal.
Or as was said before, his game, his rules.

Not directed at you, but people who are complaining about the validity of his event should HTFU and do their own 50/50/50 - "properly".

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm on his side, but if he doesn't make it to louisiana and do an IM distance tomorrow, then he's done. its 50 in 50 states in 50 days.

even if he can get there later tomorrow and start the damn thing, i don't care if he finishes after midnight. but if he can't do it an does a second in texas or something, then it becomes 50 in 50 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, when i got wind (pun intended) of the storm brewing i would have had my planner making contingency plans - moving the states around. hopefully something like that is in the works

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking the Canadian version would be much easier....just gotta get coast to coast in 10 days...BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland. They are all strung together in a straight line and if you plan it well, you get a tailwind for every ride. Or you could pick standard Race courses in Canada in each province and just do 2 loops for half IM events to make sure no one thinks you are breaking any WTC or ITU rules. You'll need an airplane to hit the logistics going from Manitoba to New Brunswick in 3 days though but maybe you can still do it via RV. The rest, as long as your crew drove the RV, it's close enough to hit tomorrow's start line.
Quote Reply

Prev Next