Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's funny how people say he can make it up as he goes. I think however you slice it, it is a phenomenal feat if he finishes BUT as I understand it, he is attempting to put this in the Guinness Book Of World Records sooooo you better have something more than I'm just gonna do a little of this and that and then circle back and people should just accept this because it's for charity. i could be wrong about the GBWR attempt but I am certain I have seen some of that mentioned in some of the lead up. I don't think anyone is saying it has to be made more difficult or whatever with the rules but it would be nice if he laid out a little more of a game plan. As others have said, he said he was doing this based on ironman standards which means in 17 hours. Quite frankly I don't care if its 23;59:59 but he should define what a "day" is. calendar day? day from start of entry to water? It just makes the whole thing a little more ...legit. I don't care about the inside or outside but inside I'm pretty certain someone should make sure the treadmill is calibrated because I've been on some that it says I'm doing 7 min/miles but I can tell you I wasn't going that fast. It's not sacrilegious to ask someone to have a set of guidelines before he starts for his sponsors and people wanting to donate money to feel comfortable with. just sayin...either way it's an incredible feat if he does it.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Poor guy for having to spend that much time in Oklahoma.

6.5/10, but Toby Keith is looking for you now

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [lollice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lollice wrote:
matt_cycles wrote:
fe_dad wrote:
Ok I will bite/start the rules list.

Official ST 50/50/50 (DRAFT) Rule Set
1. You must start each successive IM distance in successive days.
2. You can not start more than one event an any give day (0000-2400).
3. You must complete all IM events in no more that 51 days (this allows for a late start on the last day)
4. You must complete 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run per IM event.
5. No more than 10% can be accomplished indoors
6. Must be verifiable

I agree basically, but I would change point 3 to:
3. You must complete all IM events in no more that 50 days.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's not doing to it for GBWR.

Where did he say he was doing this to Ironman standards?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

He sure is implying it

"Two Guinness World records down... for 2015 I will attempt 50 Ironman Courses, in 50 consecutive days through all 50 States"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

He sure is implying it

"Two Guinness World records down... for 2015 I will attempt 50 Ironman Courses, in 50 consecutive days through all 50 States"

This was asked on a periscope broadcast earlier this week. Guinness isn't there, there is no category for this.

I am SURE if he this was for GBWR things would be a lot "stricter"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am an athlete. I am a husband. I am a proud father of four daughters and a son. I compete in endurance races and Ironman Triathlons. Currently I hold two world record in 70.3 and 140.6 triathlon racing. I am not satisfied. What's next? The seemingly Impossible…..
50 Ironman courses, 50 consecutive days, through all 50 States.
I dominated the 2012 World Record, smashing it by 10 races, winning 2 titles and placing 2nd in five others. My mind and body actually got stronger as I progressed through the 30 races through 11 countries. I know my limits were not reached in 2012 and want to test the true limits of my mind and body with this new 50 - 50- 50 challenge. And I want the people of the United States and around the world to join me.
I will test my mind and body beyond what anyone thinks is possible and I invite the entire United States to join me and my family as we race across the country. When I tell someone what I am doing the first thing they say is, "That's impossible, you can't do that"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but that's sort of your fault for assuming things, right? He left it pretty open ended, and is doing what we set out to do.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
Yeah, but that's sort of your fault for assuming things, right? He left it pretty open ended, and is doing what we set out to do.

How is expecting an ironman a day an assumption? It's on his front page. "50 Full Ironman Distances in 50 Days in 50 States "

I get that people like the guy and want to white knight for him, but come on!
Last edited by: matt_cycles: Jun 19, 15 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the guy is getting a little tired of inside IMs. i really wish their FB folks (the state ambassadors) would have more of a FB presence (IIRC, AK and OK did well there) with updates.

poor baby....

but...this morning... YAY! outside!!

(the "wingmen" honestly not very clear on what those are but i'm liking this shot. so wingman=studly cute young man?)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For extreme weather conditions, I guess it's okay for indoor training days for this challenge but when I heard about this challenge I assumed part of the challenge would be him dealing with heat, rain, wind, etc along the way. We all try to relate to him as an endurance athlete on some level (he's far beyond my skills) so I feel like it should be the exception that he races indoors which is is up to this point. But if he ends up doing 5+ indoor training days that definitely makes it less impressive than doing 50 outdoors. Still impressive though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
stephenj wrote:
... horrible father ...

You didn't right those exact words, but you said the data made you believe he was not being a good parent. And you have no idea if he is neglecting his children or wife. FYI, if you look through his facebook, it is clear he isn't.
I've asked you 3x for proof that he is indeed not being a good father, yet you ignore them each time. If you don't understand why what you said is wrong, then you're dumber than I thought.

Replies seem to be more and more myopic in their scope, focusing on a small subset of words which I used in my posts which are taken out of context and twisted to attack a dissenting interpretation and opinion. Other replies seem to be jumping on the mob brawl and are throwing punches randomly. First let me state what I have said before:
1 -The IC feat is quite impressive. I was, and still am impressed by the volume of activity he is doing. I really hope that he does not break himself too badly.
2 -I don’t like that he is asking everyone else to finance his game financially, physically, and emotionally. That is just a personal opinion, and everyone here knows what they say about opinions (and I get that).
3 -Finally (and this seems to be the bit which results in emotional responses) I was implying nothing more than neglect.

Let me address these points in order.

1. This is a heck of an undertaking. I don’t know if I would be able to do it, but I certainly think that it would be a lot of fun to try. This kind of thing takes a LOT of preparation and effort, and I really do appreciate that (more on this below). I have no problem with the rules he is using, exact distances, or other minutiae.

2. I like to play triathlon. I have for the past 25+ years. I don’t ask anyone else to pay for it though, or any other of the games (or lifestyles if you choose a different verbage). I heard about Jason's endeavor before it came up on ST when members of our local tri club ‘just had to support him’, and everyone jumped in as though James was on a quest to cure cancer. This just rub me the wrong way, and is completely opinion based, and requires a simple ‘I have a different opinion’ as a rebuttal…however, my first post was offered as a different point of view to the several pages of accolades extolling James as a demigod-like being (which is fine as well, again, I was offering a different viewpoint).

3. The only description/implication provided with regard to parenting by me was neglect. I am not implying that Jason sleeps on the couch drunk all day while his kids play in traffic. What it means are that there are certain facts which are brought up in this thread repeatedly as well as his own website and facebook page. One is that he is doing this 50-50-50. Another is that he already has 2 world records for additional endurance athletic endeavors. If he has a full time job AND is doing this, then his ability to invest much time to his 5 young children would be quite restricted. I have looked on his blog as well as his facebook, and I do not see much to indicate that either quantity or quality time being spent with his family. If doing this stuff IS his full time job, then I would defer to point #2; and I would apologize for any insinuation that he was being quite as neglectful as if he were doing it with a full time job. Of course when you train for this volume of effort, it leaves you with much less to give anyone else, and I am not sure I have seen anything that argues this point. Finally, I address the accompaniment of his family on his quest. They are there to give him hugs and pats on the back and say what a great thing he is doing to provide support for him (I really do not see anything that shows that it is done for them)…but I suppose if you look at it as a job, then they are supporting his effort to secure a more sound financial future, which I can understand (although I don’t see children as being active participants in this thought process).

In all honesty, I really don’t care that much to continue replying; but I have such a disdain for bullying and attempt at intimidation (even if it is just this type of cyber crap) that feel compelled to do so (not so much by you in the last post…but in previous posts in this thread). Of course it is fully within your (anyones) rights to do so (as adults), but I would be remiss in my own parenting if I did not 'walk the walk' and stand up for my own thoughts in lieu of forceful, but unconvincing opposition.
Stephen J

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Jayhox wrote:
But if you think accusing the guy of being a horrible father ...

That was not written. . . .

Stephen J

That is about the only thing you have written.

Hi Jay,
Please refer to my above post to my above post to Tyler. I believe that it addresses your point made. Thanks.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
It's an assumption because he doesn't say "an Ironman per day".

50 ironman in 50 days is not an ironman per day. It averages out to that, yes.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Poor guy for having to spend that much time in Oklahoma.

6.5/10, but Toby Keith is looking for you now

So is Rodney Carrington
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A picture is worth a thousand words (or posts). He looks well fed and rested. I think this guy may make it; good luck IC!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
It's an assumption because he doesn't say "an Ironman per day".

50 ironman in 50 days is not an ironman per day. It averages out to that, yes.

This got me to wondering if a pro that typically goes ~9 hours or under could pull off 2 IMs within a 24 hour period.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
For extreme weather conditions, I guess it's okay for indoor training days for this challenge but when I heard about this challenge I assumed part of the challenge would be him dealing with heat, rain, wind, etc along the way. We all try to relate to him as an endurance athlete on some level (he's far beyond my skills) so I feel like it should be the exception that he races indoors which is is up to this point. But if he ends up doing 5+ indoor training days that definitely makes it less impressive than doing 50 outdoors. Still impressive though.

from what i remember early on he dealt with rain and wine and heat. from what i read the road he had available were either flooded or closed due to flooding.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

from what i remember early on he dealt with rain and wine and heat. from what i read the road he had available were either flooded or closed due to flooding.

I can deal with wine, it's rain and heat that I don't like.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This got me to wondering if a pro that typically goes ~9 hours or under could pull off 2 IMs within a 24 hour period. //

A good pro could do two ironmans and make the 17 hour cutoff that they have for one. Of course it would have to be a faster course on a nice day, but certainly doable.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People complain about doing the bike and run indoors but have accepted the swim being in a pool seemingly without question.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? 2 IM's in the 17 hour cut-off.....doubtful! 24 hours..doable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Wingman" is an Air Force term meaning the guy/girl flying in the plane next to you in formation, i.e., at some X00 feet from your wing tip. In the modern USAF, your wingman is your battle buddy as in you both look out for each other. You never go anywhere that could be dangerous w/o several wingmen.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarvinTPA wrote:
People complain about doing the bike and run indoors but have accepted the swim being in a pool seemingly without question.

Mostly that's b/c very few people care about the swim but, as one of those few who do care, doing the swim indoors at least means he can easily know that he's doing the 2.4 mi full distance. Certainly the 2.4 mi will be a bit easier in the pool b/c he can glide off each turn but it should not be short as so many tri swim courses are. Out of all the tri's i've done, only maybe 12% were the advertised distance, 3% were long, and the other 85% were short. How do i know whether they were short or long??? B/c i've swum my whole life and know my personal best (PB) times in the pool for the various distances; if I go 5 min faster than my 1500 PB in an alleged 1500 m swim, then that swim was either short or current-assisted:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next