Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
aw, man, those Poor Abused little kiddos. riding out the storm at an indoor water park. :) i just used your post to put this cute picture up. i like it because it shows mommy too.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out the helmet rule violation! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I suggest the haters just walk away from this thread.

He is spending 50 days doing something most on here have never done once or couldnt do more than 3-4 times a year.

Keep going dude. 11 down.

so when he's completed 12, does he qualify for the Ironman legacy program?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

looks like that youngest one is a tough cookie. :) kids look like they're enjoying the journey.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
stephenj wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

i think it is possible that a lot of you naysayers are just jealous that you can't begin to comprehend the fitness this event requires. and really, how sad is that. how sad that so blinded by your jealousy that you (the general you that this applies to) can't simply appreciate the theatre and spectacle that the 50 days will bring.

I think that you may be confused; but you almost explained it with your own words....The value that he presents in entertainment does not override the distaste for the way that he is going about it [for me]. I think that you are correct about the jealous part; but I think that you are underestimating the ability of the 'naysayers' to formulate a judicious opinion through any haze of emotion.

Stephen J

You can think whatever you want to think. But your tone is pretty condescending. And frankly, your attempt at forming "logical" argument - utilizing data to make a judicious opinion, blah blah blah...is kind of ridiculous. You don't have complete data. You don't know what you're talking about because you don't know the cowboy or his family, etc. Like I think someone else said, relax...

I think that very few people here have complete data, myself included; therefore, my opinion is based on what I have available (which is not non-existent due to the massive amounts of information stored electronically and available to anyone who wants to look). I think what he has done so far is VERY impressive, but that does not mean that I like the way that he is going about it. A lot of the sentiment reminds me of a co-worker who everyone (myself included) thought was such a nice guy. He is a good dad, and not a bad worker, and just seemed like a good guy. He tried to steal IP from our company and use it to get a job at a competitors company which would have put about 200 people out of work. My point is that feelings are fine, but data is very telling. Maybe my interpretation of the data is completely off. It would not be a first; however, I am quite good at solving a puzzle with extremely limited data. It may be ridiculous, but that does not mean that it is incorrect.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:

Blah . . . blah . . .blah . . .

Stephen J

Last edited by: Jayhox: Jun 17, 15 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
While most people seem to feel that a full IM indoors would be mentally grueling, i actually think it would be slightly easier than doing it outside, since you're in a temp-controlled facility with your food and drink close at hand, plus no worries about flat tires, cars, potholes, etc. So, if i were to persuade my local Gold's Gym (which is open 24/7 and is only a 5 min drive from my house) to allow me set up my trainer at the gym, and i were to do say 60 indoor "full distance triathlons" in 60 days, would i have broken the record for most back-to-back "full distance triathlons"??? To me the idea of doing it all indoors seems much more feasible just b/c the logistics are so much easier.
Just curious as to what the unofficial ST viewpoints are on this:)

I agree with you 100%. I would do all my swimming and biking indoors, and a short 5-10K loop outdoors. I am driven by logistics and efficiency though.
Indoors this challenge MIGHT be possible.. Outdoors and with his wonky logistics, I still say there is not a chance of completion. Too bad, I am intrigued AND disgusted by the challenge he has committed to.
BTW, Eric, you didn't get much response to your caloric breakdown a few pages ago, But that was fascinating. 625 calories per waking hour, and of those hours you are SBR for %85 of the time.. How can he overcome that?

Aust - Thanks, I'm glad someone else enjoys a little math play now and then. I've done several similar analyses in the past and gotten no response. Anyway, i think he must be just taking in some very concentrated calories almost every 15 minutes or so for every hour that he is awake. I wonder if he is weighing himself every day as it would obv be very interesting to see if he loses weight over these 50 days. He looks to be a fairly muscular guy espec for a tri guy so he could in theory afford to lose weight w/o endangering his health per se. I'm guessing he is around 6' or 6'1" and weighs 190-195-ish, just based on the few pics I've seen. I guess i could eat 10,000 cal/day but it would be hard given that you're exercising most of your waking hrs. Also, regarding weight, if he is eating enough, he could actually gain weight due to fluid retention in his extremely sore muscles. I gain 4 lbs or so in a matter of 3-4 days every time i come off an easy week and ramp the training back up, maintain that 4 lbs for the 4-5 hard weeks, then lose it on my next easy week/taper.

One other thought: if somehow your muscles hold up and your back or legs do not just rebel at some point and send you into one massive cramp, which ends your streak of XX full tri's in a row, the biggest issue to me would simply be boredom. To me, riding at 14-15 mph and running at 13-14 min/mi would just be monumentally unexciting. Doing it all inside where you could read during the bike, and watch movies during the run, would make it much more tolerable to me. But boy, 50 or 60 straight days of that would still be extremely tough. Just the potentially huge saddles sores you could get make me wince, not to mention the lower back cramps. The lower back is being stressed hugely in all three sports and it could just rebel any moment.

Running 45 to 65 miles a day for similar durations strips weight off ultra runners. Not just fat, but sometimes muscle. Can't see this being any different.

True and that is what i would think also. Unless he's doing some sort of weighing every day or every few days, guess we'll have to wait and compare his pictures at the start vs at the finish. So far, I can't tell that he's lost any weight but then i'm just going off the few pics i've seen. I think it would make for an extremely interesting case study if he is actually weighing every day and tracking his approx caloric intake. However, i think this might be just too much to deal with on top of the raw physical effort and all of the logistics:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
what about Yukon? is that not a Canadian state? i'm really questioning myself questioning a canadaian since i've lived in mexico for over 10 years. maybe things changed up there?

Canada has a bunch of territories that don't have full provincial status. Province in our world is similar to State. Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, all are territories. Probably in a similar category to Guam, US Virgin Islands, Midway Island, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Northern Marianas etc etc. Hey if the Iron Cowboy steps it up and covers all US territories, then the dumbed down yet to be contested Canadian version would have to cover Yukon, NWT and Nunavut!

But hey, his event, his rules and if he decided the Canadian franchise needs to cover some frozen wasteland rich in minerals where nearly no one really lives, then that's the rules! But it seems you could do an indoor IM at the Canadian Forces Station in Alert (a classmate of mine unfortunately crashed a C-130 at that base, so I'd need to go do one there just to remember him)....it's the northernmost permanently inhabited place on earth and in Nunavut Territory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFS_Alert
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 provinces but in an area larger than the USA. From what I've mapped out, it's Ontario is ~1400 miles wide

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The recent pictures showing the kids and wife made a huge difference for me. It looks like they are doing fine. Or better than fine.
It looks like he got the most important parts of the planning right. I'm impressed.

Stopped Clock
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

True and that is what i would think also. Unless he's doing some sort of weighing every day or every few days, guess we'll have to wait and compare his pictures at the start vs at the finish. So far, I can't tell that he's lost any weight but then i'm just going off the few pics i've seen. I think it would make for an extremely interesting case study if he is actually weighing every day and tracking his approx caloric intake. However, i think this might be just too much to deal with on top of the raw physical effort and all of the logistics:)

i see a number of "plant-based food" references so i think he is a veggie to boot.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right-o! so when are you going to do your All-Canada 13/13/13 or 10/10/10? :)

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so glad you had a good time! looks like they got outside for the run too. yay! you guys got a good deal on that storm. we had 2 days of it and lots of wood (not concrete) damage. aren't you the guy who lost a ton of weight? if so, good for you! keep it up! are you going for IMFL? if so, i think it is around the same date as COZ and i have had a horrific year healthwise and just started this month getting back in training. so it is never too late (well, actually that isn't true at all...) but good luck with that knee!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

i see a number of "plant-based food" references so i think he is a veggie to boot.

If he's a true vegan, then i would think he's having to eat a higher volume of food, but obv he has figured out a way to get enough calories as he does not appear to be wasting away to nothing:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
All this parsing of 50 IMs in 50 days has been almost entirely off base. I've seen one post that was on point.

The requirement is that by the end of day 50, he must have 50 IMs completed. There's no mandate that he do one per day. That's his plan, but it isn't required to meet the letter of the challenge. If he chose to squeeze 7 IMs into 6 days (logistically impossible I realize, but play along), then rest for a day, that'd be perfectly fine.

And there surely is no mandate to finish before midnight, nor any requirement around how long each IM takes, nor any other nitpicky nonsense.

Just be done with #50 by the end of day 50. That's it.

Listen I'm just trying to have a little fun here. But this all did make me actually go to his website. Watched some videos. In the videos, he was very clear to only say "Iron distance triathlon" and "Full distance". So hey that's cool he can do what he wants.

But then of course his site says this:
“You can’t do 50 full Ironman 140.6 races 50 Days through 50 States - that is impossible”
YES I CAN, and I WILL.. Only this time I want to inspire the nation to join me.
So that tells me he is treating each day as a race. And well, sorry to say races have time cutoffs.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:

“You can’t do 50 full Ironman 140.6 races 50 Days through 50 States - that is impossible”
So that tells me he is treating each day as a race. And well, sorry to say races have time cutoffs.

The RD determines the cutoff. He is the RD.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is your rebuttal to an opposing view point, then I think that you may need to brush up on you debate skills. Would you also tell homeless people that they should stop wining and just go buy a house?

Jayhox wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
So what gives you the "data" to call into question what type of father James is?
How do you assume that he "absent"
You assume that he is "not around for parenting"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
If that is your rebuttal to an opposing view point, then I think that you may need to brush up on you debate skills. Would you also tell homeless people that they should stop wining and just go buy a house?

Jayhox wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Stephen J

I'm a lawyer. Sometimes you just let the other side talk, inform the judge there is no need for a response, and let him hammer the other side. Like in this case.

Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
so glad you had a good time! looks like they got outside for the run too. yay! you guys got a good deal on that storm. we had 2 days of it and lots of wood (not concrete) damage. aren't you the guy who lost a ton of weight? if so, good for you! keep it up! are you going for IMFL? if so, i think it is around the same date as COZ and i have had a horrific year healthwise and just started this month getting back in training. so it is never too late (well, actually that isn't true at all...) but good luck with that knee!

Yes leading up to my 2nd half I was down 45 lbs from my starting weight. Then my wife and I had a new born.... and then I blew up my knee of all things in the garage at home. I literally felt and heard the instant it popped. So then I had knee surgery after avoiding and putting it off for almost a year at the advice of my doctor. I even tried a very hilly triathlon while injured at one point. My meniscus was torn in two places. Because the rest of my knee was in such good shape though and my legs so strong they had to pry the hell out of my knee to get in for the surgery. They literally had to use a machine and find the biggest strongest nurses to assist according to doc. The tears were also at the very back of the knee making them more difficult to get to. Because of all that recovery has been quite slow. So I put back on 22 lbs I didn't want in the past 18 months. Now I need to lose another 45 (the 22 I put back on plus another 23 or so) to be at what I feel is my ideal weight for IM. My ideal weight for my build will be in the 175 range. My IM plan starts officially Monday. I'm going to take a fat photo in my race singlet and probably take one every month or so until the race just to show what can be accomplished with planning and effort. Losing weight is 90-95% diet, but for me I'm a stress eater. So having a bum knee and not being able to run at all has been a bad thing. Meeting James yesterday was a little bit of an inspiration. For the next 30 odd days when I'm struggling with a workout, I can just think about the fact he is somewhere slogging through another full distance day and that will help.

Kathy, the IM grandma is pretty inspring too. Keep up the good work yourself. I should probably get me an Ironcowboy wristband to wear during the race to keep me from going to any dark places. Maybe you could market Irongrandma ones too?

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
stephenj wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

i think it is possible that a lot of you naysayers are just jealous that you can't begin to comprehend the fitness this event requires. and really, how sad is that. how sad that so blinded by your jealousy that you (the general you that this applies to) can't simply appreciate the theatre and spectacle that the 50 days will bring.

I think that you may be confused; but you almost explained it with your own words....The value that he presents in entertainment does not override the distaste for the way that he is going about it [for me]. I think that you are correct about the jealous part; but I think that you are underestimating the ability of the 'naysayers' to formulate a judicious opinion through any haze of emotion.

Stephen J

You can think whatever you want to think. But your tone is pretty condescending. And frankly, your attempt at forming "logical" argument - utilizing data to make a judicious opinion, blah blah blah...is kind of ridiculous. You don't have complete data. You don't know what you're talking about because you don't know the cowboy or his family, etc. Like I think someone else said, relax...

I think that very few people here have complete data, myself included; therefore, my opinion is based on what I have available (which is not non-existent due to the massive amounts of information stored electronically and available to anyone who wants to look). I think what he has done so far is VERY impressive, but that does not mean that I like the way that he is going about it. A lot of the sentiment reminds me of a co-worker who everyone (myself included) thought was such a nice guy. He is a good dad, and not a bad worker, and just seemed like a good guy. He tried to steal IP from our company and use it to get a job at a competitors company which would have put about 200 people out of work. My point is that feelings are fine, but data is very telling. Maybe my interpretation of the data is completely off. It would not be a first; however, I am quite good at solving a puzzle with extremely limited data. It may be ridiculous, but that does not mean that it is incorrect.

Stephen J

People like you are why I do not come to Slowtwitch on a daily basis.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, you are QUITE the inspiration yourself. now about that grandma status, i do present myself as an old lady but if you want to survive in life, young son, you might want to stay away from calling old ladies grandmas. :) just like i can get down on my kids but don't (the general) you EVER say a mean word about them. :) AND my oldest is just turning 21 AND working on girlfriend #2 (religion issues) and NO BABIES IN SIGHT THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :) (although TBH, it has been 13 long years without a baby and i do kind of miss them...)

i have 4 kg to go to race weight myself but that race weight is likely too high and i'd like to get down another 5, so i hear you on weight loss. mine was prednisone induced and dayum i've not been this heavy in YEARS. hard to believe how fit i was in january. keep going on and enjoy to that baby of yours!

great picture threat at the IC today with loads of pictures. i am a little FB-challenged so this is the best link i've got https://www.facebook.com/Ironcowboy

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 18, 15 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I suggest the haters just walk away from this thread.

He is spending 50 days doing something most on here have never done once or couldnt do more than 3-4 times a year.

Keep going dude. 11 down.

I'm fascinated by this endeavor and amazed at its possibility. Much respect. But am frustrated by the continued "shouting down" of the so called "haters".
I don't see any haters. I see people expressing their opions of the chance of success and the way the whole process is being undertaken. It seems that predictions of failure or questioning the "rules" is not to be tolerated.
In many cases people just want to know what the rules are. If its not "17 hours", and its not "completing within the 24 hour day", and its "come back and do a little more swimming later", and its "lets do this part indoors"...while still an amazing achievement I think all the making up the rules as we go along does seem to water it down just a bit. I think many just want to know the parameters going into this thing. It gives it more validity.

Now I know that may not be a popular opionon on this thread, and maybe I'll be asked to leave, or someone will post a disrespectful meme because someone disagreed with it. But no one is hating, after all ths is the "prediction" thread, not the "kumbayaa, lets all hold hands and declare our undying everlasting praise for the IronCowboy" thread.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
davearm wrote:
All this parsing of 50 IMs in 50 days has been almost entirely off base. I've seen one post that was on point.

The requirement is that by the end of day 50, he must have 50 IMs completed. There's no mandate that he do one per day. That's his plan, but it isn't required to meet the letter of the challenge. If he chose to squeeze 7 IMs into 6 days (logistically impossible I realize, but play along), then rest for a day, that'd be perfectly fine.

And there surely is no mandate to finish before midnight, nor any requirement around how long each IM takes, nor any other nitpicky nonsense.

Just be done with #50 by the end of day 50. That's it.

Listen I'm just trying to have a little fun here. But this all did make me actually go to his website. Watched some videos. In the videos, he was very clear to only say "Iron distance triathlon" and "Full distance". So hey that's cool he can do what he wants.

Races also have more than one competitor (amongst many other factors not present here).

These aren't races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inside again today.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [thekidd142] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thekidd142 wrote:
People like you are why I do not come to Slowtwitch on a daily basis.

So you don't like people who ask for the data/facts and make their own decision/opinion based on said data?

You must be in the liberal arts field.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next