Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right about that. I don't think I can remember any modern GCer who is such a prolific winner. He has a big bag of tricks and knows how to use them.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Roglic is a crafty MFer. That was a great finish too for Cort and EF.

The transfers are getting interesting. Valgren to EF next year.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great signing for EF. I heard some people talking today about Aru next year. I don't know who would touch that guy, unless he hooks back up with Vino for some of that Astana magic.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In terms of Aru and his path the poor guy had some bad luck, but after that Iliac artery surgery its not always a free ride to get back to the same level. I know top Canadian national team XC skier Alex Harvey (multiple world championships etc) had to abstain from courses with ultra long hill climbs because of what pressure it put on the fix. I don't know how the blood flow during sustained climbs or TTs where one does not let up on the intensity affects his post surgery fix (or not). He is still reasonably young and I hope a team picks him up, but if he can't do the big hill climbs at full throttle, its not like he is of much remaining use to any protour team, because that's his entire differentiation/value.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect we won't see him back at the Pro Tour level, but time will tell.

On an unrelated note, I was stalking Ganna on Strava and according to that his FTP is 495 w, which seems to be in line with his recent results. Its still insane to think about. What do we suppose Indurain was capable of (EPO not withstanding). 510 w +?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

On an unrelated note, I was stalking Ganna on Strava and according to that his FTP is 495 w, which seems to be in line with his recent results. Its still insane to think about. What do we suppose Indurain was capable of (EPO not withstanding). 510 w +?

I think guys way more into the math of Wattage Cda and Crr can come up with a good number based on this position during his hour record at 90ish kilos and 186cm height and 53.04km (Edit: one more piece of info was it was done at sea level at the Bordeaux velodrome so we could assume a nominal sea level atmospheric pressure)

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 7, 20 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
You are right about that. I don't think I can remember any modern GCer who is such a prolific winner. He has a big bag of tricks and knows how to use them.

I would add that Roglic has been going on full throttle since August. After the TdF the next two weekends were Cycling Worlds and Liege Bastogne Liege then a few week of Vuelta "training camp". Do we know if he went up to altitude, or just backed off to refresh? The last guy like him is literally Hinault (maybe Roche). No one in between that I recall that could give all formats a run at the same time....Lance pre cancer was solid on one day, but fairly useless during his Grand Tour times. When you consider Roglic can mix it up if he wants in closing sprints during 1 day races and lose only seconds on Angliru, that's a wide wide range.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Valgren can get back on track. EF has put together a good team and done well this year.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I think guys way more into the math of Wattage Cda and Crr can come up with a good number based on this position during his hour record at 90ish kilos and 186cm height and 53.04km (Edit: one more piece of info was it was done at sea level at the Bordeaux velodrome so we could assume a nominal sea level atmospheric pressure)

I just read an article on 53x12 (Ferrari's site) that Big Mig did 509 watts for his record. Ferrari is a shady character with regards to doping, but I do wish he kept publishing on his website. Regardless of his ethical issues, he is an interesting voice in cycling analysis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

I just read an article on 53x12 (Ferrari's site) that Big Mig did 509 watts for his record. Ferrari is a shady character with regards to doping, but I do wish he kept publishing on his website. Regardless of his ethical issues, he is an interesting voice in cycling analysis.

Did he have a power meter? I don't immediately see an SRM in that photo (I think SRM would have been about the only PM available at the time?)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting I don't see one either, though I trust his data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey that site (53x12) needs to change their name to 61x13 :-) As for Ferrari's analysis, well, its probably his analytical nature itself while studying under Dr. Conconi, and impact of blood transfusions going all the way back to the Finnish guys in track in the 1970's that lead them down this path. It is easy to judge all these guys with the values of our time and I am glad the values have changed....pre EPO era Big Mig and post EPO era are two different riders as was Bjarne Riis....the old quote being you could make a race horse out of a donkey. But keep in mind that at the LA Olympics, blood transfusions were legal and most of the US Olympians were on enhanced red blood. USCF went out of their way to ban that in 1985.

This article is a worthwhile read originally published in 2013:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...s-in-cycling-part-2/

Between the US Olympic squad and Moser's Hour rides, 1984 proved to be something of a watershed year for the use of blood transfusions in cycling. But there was more going on that just those two cases. New evidence has recently come to light which suggests that transfusions also became part of the doping armory in the Continental peloton.

Further to the above, the Italian National XC ski team emerged as a force during the 1990's backed by the same....and you had all the talk about Juventus winning the champion's league on the full juice too (90 minutes of 50+ HCT adds up to a lot between the 75th and 90th minute)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am absolutely aware of that and its why I could give a shit less about criticizing the past. Things were done that were in accordance of what was allowed, things were done that were not in accordance, but I didn't live that experience and don't know what it was like so who am I to judge? I just enjoy riding bikes and watching people ride bikes. There were huge amounts of doped riders who never won anything. Hopefully people are acting within the boundaries of what is allowed now.

I wonder how long I can hold 495 watts before complete implosion.

Also, WTF is Marc Soler up to? He kills and attacks on one stage the hemorrhages time the next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the Vuelta is about to be decided. Can anyone mount an attack of Roglic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Movistar is at least doing...interesting...things. Not sure what the goal is, but they're doing something at least.

Carapaz has apparently already lost most of his team. I think has Amador and van Baarle. The announcers said Froome was also gone, but I swear I saw the Froome head bob just now.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 7, 20 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m with you; the doping lectures are boorish, especially in this thread. It’s not like any of the participants are unaware. It is what it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Movistar is at least doing...interesting...things. Not sure what the goal is, but they're doing something at least.

Carapaz has apparently already lost most of his team. I think has Amador and van Baarle. The announcers said Froome was also gone, but I swear I saw the Froome head bob just now.

The one nice thing is that Movistar has raced like an actual team again. Things haven't always worked out, but its nice to see them not fuck each other every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohh, that cobbled climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

That is my 1 minute power. Same planet, different worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. This might be the first time I've seen Tejay doing anything meaningful this Vuelta.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vingegaard, Kuss, Bennett and Gesink deserve a massive applause for their work again today no matter how things go. As time goes on I appreciate the workers more than the queen bee.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Nov 7, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This climb looks way tougher than it was advertised to be. It's a proper slog.

I heard the announcers mention Tejay, but I don't see him. Did he drop right after he was mentioned?
Last edited by: trail: Nov 7, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the many reasons I love the Vuelta. Its always worse than advertised. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, Sepp is about to earn his paycheck. Those guys have been huge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gaudu has really hit his stride too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next