Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn.....my boy Brandon is riding well, though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One wonders WTF Bora was thinking. Does it really believe that Majka has a shout at the GC?

They drop two riders from the front group, help pull Sagan back, may have a decent shot at closing the gap and securing Sagan the win...

Valorous of De Gendt to play the white knight here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
damn.....my boy Brandon is riding well, though

Yeah, he was controlling stuff pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The threat and risks of the virus have dampened my enjoyment. Sure they risk themselves every time they race, but this added level of anxiety/drama is kind of a buzz kill. This includes team staff and fans. Understood, is important to the economy of the sport. Just a crap situation.

Tomorrow huge. If Almeida can repeat his ITT performance, he's in solid shape. And at no point in past week has he looked like he doesn't have the legs. Bilbao was closest at 1 min down after the first one. Wilco and Nibali 1:28, :29.
Last edited by: WannaB: Oct 16, 20 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Just a crap situation.

I hear you. Having two teams gone, other riders speaking out, and EF having made the case to end the Giro on Sunday, the suspension of reality gained from watching the racing is getting harder to achieve.

You're right about Almeida. The only "weakness" I've seen is his being poorly positioned at times. He had some teammates getting visibly upset with him about it, and giving him "stay on my wheel!" gestures as they ferried him to the correct place. I think DQS is ever-aware that at some point Trek and Nibali are going to do what Nibali does, and it's hard to predict when that will be. But this is made up by him being on the team that excels at positioning, even without the DQS A-team at the Giro.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 16, 20 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro history (and recent Giro history in particular) is littered with dudes who looked great for the first two weeks only to implode during the last. Given Almeida's experience (or lack thereof) and the particularly savage nature of the final week's parcours (or whatever the Italian equivalent of "parcours" is) this year, I'm not betting on him just yet. Still like Nibbles and Wilco.

As for De Ronde... can't imagine Wout and MvdP cancelling each other out again, so the question is do they go clear at some point and work together and settle things as a man-to-man sprint? Or does someone like King Kung attack and solo to victory while the studs behind look at each other? Would love to see Kristoff, Dekenkobble, or Trentin put up a result but I don't see a scenario where they get to the line without the CX kids, who may very well have the measure of them. And then there's the LFF...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
The threat and risks of the virus have dampened my enjoyment. Sure they risk themselves every time they race, but this added level of anxiety/drama is kind of a buzz kill. This includes team staff and fans. Understood, is important to the economy of the sport. Just a crap situation.

Tomorrow huge. If Almeida can repeat his ITT performance, he's in solid shape. And at no point in past week has he looked like he doesn't have the legs. Bilbao was closest at 1 min down after the first one. Wilco and Nibali 1:28, :29.

I am not sure that COVID hasn't made the racing crazier. A pan flat stage with two cat 4s and you end with a group of 15 GC guys. These guys are racing like every stage could be the last.

Hoping McNulty has a good ride tomorrow and the TT could be interesting because the steep section isn't going to do Ganna any favors.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ciconne out with severe bronchitis.
Coincidence or related to his bout with Covid ?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did he catch the virus?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pre Tirreno-Adriatico but he recovered
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn - what a ride by McNulty
Almeida looking good also

yeah wonder if Ciccone's withdrawal is related to his earlier covid
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
damn - what a ride by McNulty
Almeida looking good also

yeah wonder if Ciccone's withdrawal is related to his earlier covid

Disappointed for Fuglsang, hoping for Bilbao
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty!

And also... looking at the GC, Nibali seems to be lurking at a familiar striking distance... He always seems to nail his tactics for GTs. I wouldn't be remotely surprised at all to see him on the top step when they (hopefully) reach Milan.
Last edited by: trois_pample: Oct 17, 20 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride of the day goes to McNulty.

Next year Pog will have a solid wingman to defend TdF title.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ride by McNulty and this was from a guy who has never raced anything longer than 9 days. That bodes well for the overall.

Almedia really looks dangerous. It is hard to imagine him holding the pink jersey for 20 days, but he does have the advantage of nobody really expecting him to be there for as long as he has already held the jersey. It would be interesting to hear what Sunweb and Trek have in the plans next week and whether Quick Step have the depth to really support him in the mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
whether Quick Step have the depth to really support him in the mountains.

Normally looking over the list of DQS B-listers, you'd think "no," except *none* of the GC leaders have looked to have great support on the climbs. And Trek just lost their best climbing domestique. At this point who's better than Knox and Masnada?
Last edited by: trail: Oct 17, 20 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay lads, we got our wish, and De Ronde is going ahead. Picks?

This is actually a lot more difficult than I imagined. Such a stacked field. We have:
-WvA;
-Alaphilippe, Agreen, and the rest of the Wolfpack;
-MvdP;
-Pedersen;
-Naesen;
-Bettiol;
-Kwiatkowski (although he has never done well here);
-Soren Kragh Andersen;
-Lutsenko; and
-Trentin

I get the distinct feeling that if the big hitters don't get away in a selective enough of a group, it'll end up being quite a cagey affair

WvA MvdP Pedersen
Soren Kragh and Naesen

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, last but not least, what y'all drinking?

I bought some la Chouffe Brown, some la Chouffe Blonde, and 750 mL of Koningshoeven (La Trappe) Tripel. De Ronde Sunday is one of the few days I allow myself to partake in morning drinking, and i may just end buzzed before 10:30 a.m. The only thing better would be some La Trappe Blonde. Oh well, can't have everything.

Also will have some Stroopwafels getting warmed up by warm cider.
Last edited by: echappist: Oct 17, 20 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got all the good picks, but I'll be different just in case all those guys screw it up.

Kung, Bettiol, Pedersen
SKA, Schachmann
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be darn fun.

WvA, Stuyven, Soren Kragh Andersen
Oss, Vanmarke

And then quickly flip over to the final assualt up to Piancavallo. Tossing a shoutout to Pozzovivo who has quitely been having a great race. A nice story from his awful crash if he somehow lands on podium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Degenkobble gets a podium spot but who knows how the crossers place
would like to see Kwia get a result
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought Lutsenko was out with Covid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Okay lads, we got our wish, and De Ronde is going ahead. Picks?

This is actually a lot more difficult than I imagined. Such a stacked field. We have:
-WvA;
-Alaphilippe, Agreen, and the rest of the Wolfpack;
-MvdP;
-Pedersen;
-Naesen;
-Bettiol;
-Kwiatkowski (although he has never done well here);
-Soren Kragh Andersen;
-Lutsenko; and
-Trentin

I get the distinct feeling that if the big hitters don't get away in a selective enough of a group, it'll end up being quite a cagey affair

WvA MvdP Pedersen
Soren Kragh and Naesen

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, last but not least, what y'all drinking?

I bought some la Chouffe Brown, some la Chouffe Blonde, and 750 mL of Koningshoeven (La Trappe) Tripel. De Ronde Sunday is one of the few days I allow myself to partake in morning drinking, and i may just end buzzed before 10:30 a.m. The only thing better would be some La Trappe Blonde. Oh well, can't have everything.

Also will have some Stroopwafels getting warmed up by warm cider.

If you're morning drinking in Madtown, you won't be alone.

I'm going WvA. I think the Ronde is too rugged and argy bargy for the LFF but if he's there, he'll try to get away and WvA will go too.
MvDP chases and mostly drags a group to the finish that catches those two and Kristoff gets second to WvA who wins anyway. MvDP is third.
Sentimental faves are Bardet and Cav.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RVV ... i can't believe they got here
it has to be the youngins; Wout and MvdP.
therefore it will be some random rando as the entire field watches the kids watching each other.

speaking of watching, Flobikes has Fletcha doing the commentary. he sounds pretty good. i loved watching him race.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sep!
True hard man.
Always wishing him well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E Bo Haag goes off the front and gets 20 seconds and then gets waved through a rail crossing prior to a train coming through that stops the peloton. Outstanding work by the veteran.
Quote Reply

Prev Next