Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ok with the relegation to be honest. I'm not the biggest DQS fan, but I can appreciate some of their riders. That said, I'm not sure why Bennett felt the need to bump Liepins.. He was hardly trying to take his position away in the DQS sprint train.. They were taking a right hand turn and seems like Liepins was just hugging close to his side but not really pushing to squeeze into the train..

Lefevre's a hypocrit though, when someone moves over on his riders it's the end of the world but since the Jakobsen/Groenewegen incident, we've already seen his riders do the same multiple times (LFF, Bennett,..)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how about today? Roglic must be feeling really good if he didnt feel the need to conserve energy for the weekend.
Maybe he is thinking about the Tour where perhaps he held back early when he was feeling good, and is just going to go anyplace and anytime he feels there can be seconds to be had.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile in Belgium, WVA is "surprised and shocked" by bumping in bunch sprints. Similar to the prior incident with WVA, it may have been the second push that got him.

As for Lefevere's righteous indignation, he's overused it to the point it's becoming background noise and the contradictions are just too readily available. It's great to stick up for your guys, but no need to belittle others in the process. His palmares wagging was really uncalled for and irrelevant to the discussion.

As for Bennet, I think he is just a little old school in that way. Big dude who is willing to mix it up. He was the one who wasn't impressed with Sagan's relegation asking when sprinting became so soft - and that was his biggest rival for the green at the time. While I think he is right looking back, I think moving forward it's clear that they will be cracking down on it.

Meanwhile, somewhere in Europe Demare just chopped across an entire road left to right three times in a group ride, sign sprint.

*** ETA - Really wish we could have seen Demare and Bennett head to head in one of the GT's as they both appear to be on another level in the sprint game this season.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Oct 30, 20 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:

Meanwhile, somewhere in Europe Demare just chopped across an entire road left to right three times in a group ride, sign sprint.

HAHA, perfect
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Wurf looks downright chunky compared to many of the others. He looks very lean outside of the pro peloton though!

I have recorded the last 4 stages due to the 3am start time here & just started watching this morning...and this really stood out to me.
He looks so lean as a triathlete & 'heavy' as a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this should be out on ST, but I feel safe here.

This climb, which I've grinded up a few times at 100+ kg, is the real deal, the best of Appalachia. Just a straight up ramp on the west side of the Blue Ridge. Ends at the Shenandoah National Park where there is a gate and a gravel fire road that leads to Skyline Drive, along the ridge. What this guy did is impressive. Chapeau for sure.

https://www.velonews.com/...and-everesting-tips/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way in hell loudmouth Phil reclaims the title

ETA: I think Gardner is an engineer by training. This is basically what a good engineer does: optimize the hell out of the conditions. I think the time could be broken. After all, I def think there is at least one pro on this very forum capable of doing better. But then again, pros have obligations to attend to and can't just do a ride like this for the hell of it.
Last edited by: echappist: Oct 30, 20 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Maybe this should be out on ST, but I feel safe here.

This climb, which I've grinded up a few times at 100+ kg, is the real deal, the best of Appalachia. Just a straight up ramp on the west side of the Blue Ridge. Ends at the Shenandoah National Park where there is a gate and a gravel fire road that leads to Skyline Drive, along the ridge. What this guy did is impressive. Chapeau for sure.

https://www.velonews.com/...and-everesting-tips/

That kid needs a skinsuit. I bet he lost a ton of time riding a floppy jersey at 60 mph. Another kilo for the bike,... A ton of equipment errors.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article also said that he was climbing standing up for 80% of each effort. That's gotta take its (metabolic) toll, regardless of how much core work one does.
Fortunately for him, not as much aerodynamic cost.

Perhaps the new SL7 (which I think could be made to be sub 6.8 kg) would have been helpful
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enric “No” Mas bringing the heat.

Would have loved to see Kuss unchained .
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kuss looked strong.

Carapaz probably went in a tad early. Carthy attacked at the right moment and got a deserved reward.

Roglic was impressive. Not his terrain, and he shipped only 8 seconds in the end. He'll get the Red Jersey back after the time trial.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Enric “No” Mas bringing the heat.

Would have loved to see Kuss unchained .

At 20k when the announcers were going on about Froome's pull for Ineos up the early grades of about 10% to 14%, Kuss was next to him, sitting up, handing out bottles. He's unreal.

Great to see Dan Martin up there too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Kuss was off the leash he would have torched everyone on the climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He looked so easy compared to everyone else--or at least relaxed other than the constant looking around/back for Roglic. Wonder if the team car gave any thought to letting him go around 1.5km left to make sure and cover any finish line time bonus-probably not since Roglic should be GC favorite on the TT...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

I liked it when Froome was putting in his big dig (which he looked OK!), and Kuss was sitting up passing around snacks and bottles like it was a neutral lunch break.

I was hoping they'd send Kuss to hoover up the 10 bonus seconds. But I can understand why they kept him back.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was good to see Froome look decent again. Sepp is just levitating up climbs these past few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Kuss and Roglic at this year's Vuelta. Shades of Froome and Wiggo at the 2012 TdF?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Last edited by: Alvin Tostig: Nov 1, 20 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Kuss and Roglic at this year's Vuelta. Shades of Froome and Thomas at the 2012 TdF?

It was Wiggo, and that intra-team "rivalry" actually goes back to the 2011 Vuelta.

Don't think Thomas would have pulled the sort of stunt Froome pulled.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct on Wiggo. Kuss is a much more willing super domestique for Roglic than Froome was for Wiggo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fairness to Froome, he knew he could TT and Kuss is not even in the same world on the TT front (at least right now). Froome in 2011 ended up second in the Vuelta (in 2019 promoted to winner after Cabo got nailed for bio passport) 2012 was 2nd in the Tour de France and 3rd in the ITT at the London Olympics ITT (in the latter behind Wiggo and Tony Martin) and then backed that up with 4th in 2012 Vuelta. So he did all of that before winning his first Tour de France, Giro 2018 or 2017 Vuelta

I don't think that Sepp sees himself in the same GC category (at least yet). For example in September on the Planche des Belle Filles ITT he was 7:23 behind Pogacar. So maybe Froome like Lemond saw themselves as way more than domestique and rightfully so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is not 2020 restart, but 2021....2xMont Ventoux on a single stage announced for next year's TdF!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also on July 14th for the Mrs. (I think you said she is from France) we have Peyresourde and Col de Portet and next day July 15th Tourmalet + Luz Ardiden
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and 58km of ITTing !!! Should make all of ST happy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Kuss and Roglic at this year's Vuelta. Shades of Froome and Thomas at the 2012 TdF?

It was Wiggo, and that intra-team "rivalry" actually goes back to the 2011 Vuelta.

Don't think Thomas would have pulled the sort of stunt Froome pulled.
Oops. I've edited my post.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to go that far. Roglic has won on terrain that Sepp isn’t likely to do as well on. If today was Roglic’s bad day then J-V will take it. If not they’ll be wishing they’d have let Sepp go full savage.

If anything this year, he has cemented his position as #1 GC super domestique in peloton. Got to give him mad respect for being nothing but the ultimate teammate when a few times he looked like strongest climber, yet he keeps doing his job without a hint of complaint.
Quote Reply

Prev Next