Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
How long is the final climb today? The Mirador is a wall, iirc (might even be the literal translation). Should be a ten minute effort max i think?

1.8km, I think. But it's savage, so yeah, on the order of 10 minutes - but I think a little less. Gorgeous scenery on the climb.

I'm getting tired of Walker and McCrossan nitpicking every crease in every skinsuit! It's like they're a living slowtwitch thread.

Mirador means "lookout", which is quite appropriate, given the scenery

Also, I'm surprised that no one here has enough command of Spanish to have corrected me :)

That is quite appropriate.

I know Roglic will go well because he isn't wearing the helmet of doom from his TdF TT.

Also, WTF are there a half dozen Vuelta threads that were created? Isn't one thread adequate to centralize discussion?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I didn’t say he had a bad day at Tour. While Pogacar was underrated even though he beat Roglic at nata, Roglic is still one of the top GC TTers. The scenario and route today are similar, that’s my point.

True. Could be difficult on the mental side.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:
How long is the final climb today? The Mirador is a wall, iirc (might even be the literal translation). Should be a ten minute effort max i think?

1.8km, I think. But it's savage, so yeah, on the order of 10 minutes - but I think a little less. Gorgeous scenery on the climb.

I'm getting tired of Walker and McCrossan nitpicking every crease in every skinsuit! It's like they're a living slowtwitch thread.

Also, I'm surprised that no one here has enough command of Spanish to have corrected me :)

That is quite appropriate.

I know Roglic will go well because he isn't wearing the helmet of doom from his TdF TT.

Also, WTF are there a half dozen Vuelta threads that were created? Isn't one thread adequate to centralize discussion?

There are those here (who shall remain unnamed) who feel compelled to have a post/day ratio that vastly exceeds his/her corresponding w/kg, for the fear of having his/her slowtwitch SuperPoster creds revoked. Said posters also sometimes feel compelled to respond to his/her own messages, as the rest of us simply cannot keep up with such elevated and exulted company.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Saw the Velonews piece on Kuss’ data. I can’t even.

I liked the line in that piece that would blow most of ST's mind--about 'all day pace/6-7hours' @4w/kg...really just an attempt to make it 'understandable' but yeah i'm still with you--I can't even!
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
There are those here (who shall remain unnamed) who feel compelled to have a post/day ratio that vastly exceeds his/her corresponding w/kg, for the fear of having his/her slowtwitch SuperPoster creds revoked. Said posters also sometimes feel compelled to respond to his/her own messages, as the rest of us simply cannot keep up with such elevated and exulted company.

Thank you for so nicely answering this!!!! You might have left out that also feels compelled to put spoilers in thread titles and then when asked not to by others attacks them/defends to the end of time his 'right' to post spoilers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh got ya. That would be more hilarious if this topic wasn't so annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carthy is putting in a cracking TT.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I liked the line in that piece that would blow most of ST's mind--about 'all day pace/6-7hours' @4w/kg...really just an attempt to make it 'understandable' but yeah i'm still with you--I can't even!

I think there are still some among us who think: 6.2 w/kg isn't too big of a deal, I'm at 4 w/kg, the pro is only ~50% stronger

The duration is what really drives it home though: the pro can literally hold it 600% -700% as long
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Skippy74 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I think there are still some among us who think: 6.2 w/kg isn't too big of a deal, I'm at 4 w/kg, the pro is only ~50% stronger

The duration is what really drives it home though: the pro can literally hold it 600% -700% as long

Completely agree! The 6.2 w/kg and 4 w/kg numbers are mind blowing BUT the duration they hold those numbers is just beyond next level.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Great TT for him. Roglic looked much more composed coming up to the line vs in TDF (tough for Barta)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the repeated ability to hit those kind of numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Great TT for him. Roglic looked much more composed coming up to the line vs in TDF (tough for Barta)

Yep, damn that was close for Barta. Can't get worse than losing by a solitary second. I hope that ride is good enough to secure him a new contract.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah would have been so awesome if Barta had got that.

Also...
What I find interesting about today's TT vs the Tour is that I think that most of us expected Roglic to make gains on the flat parts and maybe hang on for the climb, while in fact Carthy was ahead on the flats and Roglic actually made most if the gains on the climb.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge ride by Carthy. And Roglic makes additional amends for Tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

I took a semester of Spanish in college, it was my last semester of school, all I need was a D. Went to buy the books and they were $300... So I winged it without books and rocked my C...

It was a neat TT and required some real attention to detail for the guys going for it. Was pretty crappy to see Barta miss the win by such a thin margin.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Some Kuss data from Stage 12:

Kuss – Alto de la Mozqueta:
Time: 18:42
Avg power: 368w (6w/kg)
Avg Grade: 8.2 percent

Kuss – Alto del Cordal:
Time: 17:03
Avg power: 380w (6.2w/kg)
Avg Grade: 8.8 percent

Final 1500m:
Time: 5:58
Avg power: 403w (6.6w/kg)
Avg Grade: 11.9 percent

Kuss – Alto de l’Angliru “flatter” section:
Time: 12:52
Avg power: 382w (6.3w/kg)
Avg Grade: 7.6 percent

Kuss – Alto de l’Angliru (full ascent):
Time: 44:00
Avg power: 374w (6.1w/kg)
Avg Grade: 9.4 percent
Avg Speed: 17kph (10.6mph)

Steepest section of l’Angliru (6.4km at 13.3 percent):
Time: 29:00
Avg power: 378w (6.2w/kg)
Avg Speed: 13.5kph (8.4mph)
Avg Cadence: 79rpm

Sepp Kuss – Vuelta a España Stage 12: 6th (+0:26):
(Excluding neutral start)
Time: 3:09:02
Average Power: 293w (4.8w/kg)
Normalized Power: 329w (5.4w/kg)
Peak 5min Power: 410w (6.7w/kg)
Peak 45min Power: 374w (6.1w/kg)

https://www.strava.com/activities/4273131277/

Those are great numbers for a climber, but the guy is going to need some next-level space alien numbers to overcome his hideous TT position (photo in the Cyclingnews article). Dan Bingham has got his work cut out for him if Jumbo ever wants to turn Kuss into anything more than a mountains domestique.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah his position is rubbish. Hopefully he addresses this in the offseason.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean if he wants to be a GC contender in balanced GT. Otherwise there are lots of races he can target for himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Yeah his position is rubbish. Hopefully he addresses this in the offseason.

Oh boy, even Bennett has a better position (though maybe photographer caught Kuss looking up?)

Kuss:

Bennett

Last edited by: echappist: Nov 3, 20 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We call that move that Kuss is pulling the periscope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Though I think Kuss gave zero F's about that TT. De la Cruz passed him on the climb and Kuss clearly didn't care.

That said, he's a pro, and there's a case to be made he should work on TT form even when not pedaling hard because it's part of the skill set. Even if his personal TT never matters, he'll almost certainly be part of important TTTs in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 13th stage was a joke today. Changing bikes during a race should be forbidden.

Why not just ride a TT bike before the climbs on every stage?

Call me a purist.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Though I think Kuss gave zero F's about that TT. De la Cruz passed him on the climb and Kuss clearly didn't care.

That said, he's a pro, and there's a case to be made he should work on TT form even when not pedaling hard because it's part of the skill set. Even if his personal TT never matters, he'll almost certainly be part of important TTTs in the future.

It's a day off for the Kuss, brah. Don't harsh his mellow.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
The 13th stage was a joke today. Changing bikes during a race should be forbidden.

Why not just ride a TT bike before the climbs on every stage?

Call me a purist.

You know, the organizer could have made the finishing climb reasonable, something that averages 8%. Instead, they trot out a hill that averages ~14%...

As for your other question, b/c TT bike isn’t meant to be ridden in a peloton. Furthermore, what about multi-climb stages?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its kinda dumb how they make the tt end with a climb like that. Day in, day out, every other stage has these crazy climbs, let the guys who are better at time trialing actually have their day, especially since they usually also have a penalty on the climbs. I feel like grand tours should be about riders with multiple skillsets, not just climbing
Quote Reply

Prev Next