Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I printed it out and measured with a ruler to make sure my scale was correct. 287mm. Looks like 45.5. so close...
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [wildh24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to measure carefully. If printed and taped correctly and using a wall to align your heel to the paper, most people should get the correct size, though since fit preferences vary a lot, it's not a guarantee.

If you're in the US or Canada exchanges are totally free so low risk.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently bought the Velovetta shoes through the classified sections and mounted some Look Keo cleats on them (as close to midfoot as possible). Compared to my Shimano S-Phyre it feels like there's more play (rotation around the longitudinal axis) on the pedal-cleat interface. I already noticed that there's more space between the sole and cleat when mounting them and felt like I was warping the cleat a bit when tightening them down. I was wondering if someone else noticed this and how you solved it? Obviously putting a small spacer under the cleat is the easy solution, but I was wondering if I'm missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was recently in Silverstone with my partner @Aerocoach. The main reason for this session was to compare a selection of (fast) shoes in order to optimize this often neglected part of the rider + bicycle system. A simple protocol was used: a 30" run with one pair of shoes at 0° of yaw angle and 45km/h (12.5m/s), then a second run with the same pair of shoes changing the yaw angle to 5° measurement (non-drive side).

Shoe models tested:

- DMT KR SL (the ones I was using, considered my baseline) ;
- Specialized S-Works Exos
- Giro Prolight Techlace (with velcro part removed)
- Velovetta Monarch

Like I said, a selection of what I consider "fast shoes" as they are all with laces and/or centered/hidden Boa.

I was happy to see a performance improvement with the Velovetta Monarch, especially because I followed Ed's work from the beginning. His first CFD studies now became a real-world very fast shoe after what I saw as a lot of effort and time involved. I am a pro triathlete but a lesser known part of my life is that I also am a R&D Innovator in a french company called Alten in which I am involved in mechanical design and fluid mechanics studies. I therefore know for a fact that creating a digitally aerodynamic object is one thing, but being able to replicate gains in the real world is one order of magnitude harder. Kudos to Velovetta for that! To be fair I don't think that wind tunnel trials give proper justice to these shoes because of where the rear supports of the bike are and the fact that Velovetta's strong suit is their trailing edge.

- Antony Costes -
PhD in Biomechanics / Professional Triathlete (9 pro wins)

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it."
Lord Kelvin
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [Tigre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigre wrote:
I was recently in Silverstone with my partner @Aerocoach. The main reason for this session was to compare a selection of (fast) shoes in order to optimize this often neglected part of the rider + bicycle system. A simple protocol was used: a 30" run with one pair of shoes at 0° of yaw angle and 45km/h (12.5m/s), then a second run with the same pair of shoes changing the yaw angle to 5° measurement (non-drive side).

Shoe models tested:

- DMT KR SL (the ones I was using, considered my baseline) ;
- Specialized S-Works Exos
- Giro Prolight Techlace (with velcro part removed)
- Velovetta Monarch

Like I said, a selection of what I consider "fast shoes" as they are all with laces and/or centered/hidden Boa.

I was happy to see a performance improvement with the Velovetta Monarch, especially because I followed Ed's work from the beginning. His first CFD studies now became a real-world very fast shoe after what I saw as a lot of effort and time involved. I am a pro triathlete but a lesser known part of my life is that I also am a R&D Innovator in a french company called Alten in which I am involved in mechanical design and fluid mechanics studies. I therefore know for a fact that creating a digitally aerodynamic object is one thing, but being able to replicate gains in the real world is one order of magnitude harder. Kudos to Velovetta for that! To be fair I don't think that wind tunnel trials give proper justice to these shoes because of where the rear supports of the bike are and the fact that Velovetta's strong suit is their trailing edge.

Awesome, Antony, a lot of people have been asking me about data for some of these shoes and I have not had anything to tell them. I'm very happy that such a detail-oriented pro such as yourself has chosen to race in the shoes!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next