Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested to see how the first season for your shoe goes. IF the lever & ground contact becomes a wear & tear issue that you may not get from your initial testing, as as suggestion, maybe a consumer replaceable lever? It would keep warranty returns down that way. However, I am not sure what that looks like from a liability standpoint as a company, should someone install it improperly & take a nose-dive into the weeds claiming lever failure (even though it may be knucklehead failure for not installing it properly themselves).

Also, the BOA system, should a wire break is that replaceable by the consumer?
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally speaking people could just put their shoes on in transition instead flying mount obnoxiousness!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should tweet that to Ali or Luis...or anyone else at the pointy end of any AG athletes. Sometimes it comes down to seconds so you have to be on that edge if you're going to win & get each second you can. It's only obnoxious if you suck at it & can't do it smoothly, otherwise, it is a discipline in itself. True, there are many who are quite horrible at it & are a danger to others in their attempts (they should practice it more).
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I would be interested to see how the first season for your shoe goes. IF the lever & ground contact becomes a wear & tear issue that you may not get from your initial testing, as as suggestion, maybe a consumer replaceable lever? It would keep warranty returns down that way. However, I am not sure what that looks like from a liability standpoint as a company, should someone install it improperly & take a nose-dive into the weeds claiming lever failure (even though it may be knucklehead failure for not installing it properly themselves).

Also, the BOA system, should a wire break is that replaceable by the consumer?

I've been riding in a prototype for 18 months and have done more flying starts and dismounts in them than any reasonable person would normally in that amount of time and they are still in great shape. There is no BOA system on this shoe. But there are wires and they are pretty easy to replace. There is a removeable panel on the sole of the shoe that gives you access to the internal wire routing. It also lets you choose a flat heel for easier walking or a curved heel for better aerodynamics.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
We should tweet that to Ali or Luis...or anyone else at the pointy end of any AG athletes. Sometimes it comes down to seconds so you have to be on that edge if you're going to win & get each second you can. It's only obnoxious if you suck at it & can't do it smoothly, otherwise, it is a discipline in itself. True, there are many who are quite horrible at it & are a danger to others in their attempts (they should practice it more).

Yeah, if you're a pro, you get a pass.

Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the word, Ed?

Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
What's the word, Ed?

This is hopefully the last prototype before we make all the molds. It should be lasted and glued tomorrow. The molds for this size have been adjusted and all the parts are coming out well now, without errors. This is not the final upper. That tab on the "tongue" will not remain there.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are looking pretty fire.

Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance these are real before 70.3 worlds... 2021... assuming it happens.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a month? No way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Ed. Its been a couple of months since the last report. Any news?
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the latest prototype I received a couple weeks ago. Made with the molds that will be used in production. A couple tweaks to the machined aluminum parts are needed, but very minor.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will the final production model cleat area have grid / markings to help place the cleats?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not currently have plans for that. How important is that for you?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious as to all the leather/suede leather or whatever you're using vs something more vented? Some shoes have knitted uppers now or quite a bit of mesh so their not hot. Is this to provide rigidity needed for keeping the upper attached to the sole during the manufacturing process?

Although I have not tried some of those knitted uppers they do seem sorta flimsy looking. My currently Specialized shoes (which they don't make anymore) are mostly mesh on top, nice for hot temps (not great for cold ones though).

Was this a "happy medium" with the little mesh vents for a 4-season type design?
Lastly, are these soles 100% carbon fiber--if so is it 3/4, or just the front half? (injection molded plastic heel probably to get the shape), or a composite mix, fiberglass, something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ed,
I'm interested to know how many centimeters the rear heel protrudes beyond the inside of the heel of the shoe. I'm a size US12 and sometimes loops on the back of some shoes can contact my trainer where it hugs the rear axle.
thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chose the materials and venting (which will be slightly different on the final upper) to provide what seemed to be a good combo for an all-season and durable shoe. The elastic parts can also be considered vented parts, btw.

If you look up in post 307, I think, you can see how far back the carbon goes for the sole. It goes more than far enough back so that any bending stresses on the sole from pedaling have completely dissipated.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the inside of the shoe at the back of the heel (i.e. where your heel touches the liner of the shoe) the lever on the back protrudes 5cm at its furthest point.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I do not currently have plans for that. How important is that for you?

it’s not a deal breaker, but i see that as a massive plus.

my shoes are part of my fit, and if something happens with one of the cleats i can get them right back where they need to be all by myself without having to get my fitter involved.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I think the black sole looks better than the white ones I’ve seen previously, which may have been only for testing versions. The upper looks well made. Should be interesting to see them up close. How will distribution work—online only or any specific select stores? East coast shops, Midwest & Cali shops as part of the Master Plan? I get the feeling you’re trying hard to go with precision and quality out of the gate here—I’ve seen some mediocre launches of products & this is starting to look pretty dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all, very long time Slowtwitch lurker, but first time poster, here. :)

Thanks Ed for all the information about this really exciting product! I'm wondering if you have any further updates on availability/release date?

Thanks in advance!

B. Sport Coaching and Exercise Science
Triathlon Australia Performance (Level 2) Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving you another little bump here Ed! How do we go about reserving a pair in our size? Or can us "locals" drive up and try some on when you've got a set made? I've held off on upgrading my old Giro ACCs to this point but I'm getting antsy :P

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I've held off on upgrading my old Giro ACCs to this point but I'm getting antsy :P

Mild diversion, but I bought into ACC's first. For cost. Then got a pair of the SLX from someone that didn't fit into the SLX and got "worn once" at a great deal. The SLX in terms of how small it is on a person's foot versus the ACC is almost like dog food versus French cuisine. The ACC just seems that much larger to me in identical size as the SLX. Maybe the pair of ACC I have weren't stitched well or something. But the ACC's got relegated to trainer rides or ugly weather training rides.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
I've held off on upgrading my old Giro ACCs to this point but I'm getting antsy :P

Mild diversion, but I bought into ACC's first. For cost. Then got a pair of the SLX from someone that didn't fit into the SLX and got "worn once" at a great deal. The SLX in terms of how small it is on a person's foot versus the ACC is almost like dog food versus French cuisine. The ACC just seems that much larger to me in identical size as the SLX. Maybe the pair of ACC I have weren't stitched well or something. But the ACC's got relegated to trainer rides or ugly weather training rides.
Huh. I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap pair of SLX in my size as well. I got Summer the SLX and they're definitely noticeably, thinner?, which seems like it would help with fit.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Store is OPEN (for hats and socks) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Huh. I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap pair of SLX in my size as well. I got Summer the SLX and they're definitely noticeably, thinner?, which seems like it would help with fit.

Unscientific: my ACC in both toe box and midfoot measured 1/4 inch larger circumference than the SLX.

I should go do a Notio ride! Easy test item.

Last edited by: burnthesheep: Dec 27, 21 12:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next