Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Tacx Bushido, wheel on unit. Funny thing is, that it under reports wattage from both the Tacx unit itself, as well as my Powertap. I use my stats from the powertap during 10 mile club time trials, Ironman races, and from my Computrainer as other reference points.

I do of course agree that keeping things consistent for the Zwift setup, however, is v. critical.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one thing that I really want to be able to do that I haven't figured out is how to schedule events or workouts. I can join them, but if I want to, say, join a particular group ride each Monday night, or do a sweetspot workout on Thursdays, it's far more difficult than it should be. I don't know of any way to search for or favorite a ride. Workouts are easier, but I'd still like to schedule them into a customizable plan.

the prebuilt plans are a pain in the behind since they are either not available or timed out when you want to do them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add being able to see which scheduled workout is next without having to enter the game would be nice. It's almost as if Zwift has something against using calendars.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, for months I thought there was something wrong with my connection or hardware that occasionally the screen would get blurry. The other night I realized that it was only when I was riding hard. There's a "pain effect" setting in Zwift, which apparently turns your high end laptop into a 1982 Commodore 64.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that’s what that is. I was wondering what was going on with the blurry screen too.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brand new to Zwift and still learning. Trying to get everything figured out. Have a Garmin Forerunner 945 and cannot seem to figure out how to connect it as my heart rate monitor during Zwift? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Running Zwift off of my iPad.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m fairly sure it won’t pick up the HR monitor from your 945...I don’t think the watch will broadcast the data to Zwift. You’ll need a separate HR monitor (Bluetooth). Zwift for IOS devices (iPhone + iPad) does not work for Ant+ devices unless you use a bridge device like the 4iiii HR monitor. It’s probably easier just to make sure everything is Bluetooth so you don’t have to worry about getting a bridge device.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to put the 945 HR sensor in broadcast mode. (You can check this with two small dots next to the Heart icon on your watch)
And then use the virtual run profile to connect the 945 as a footpod.
Both will only transmit via Bluetooth though I think.
Fyi, I can't get my 945 calibrated properly in virtual run mode (not even close) also not really sold on zwift run as it is not really interactive ... always use it with Netflix nowadays (or dont even bother and just use treadmill mode)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skimmed this thread and found it super helpful. Thank you to the OP. Especially since I'm 3 rides into my Zwift career.

Does anyone else find that you're consistently 1-1.5mph faster on Zwift than outside for the same power? For some reason this annoys the F out of me.

Using a kickr for my power inside and a powertap for outside.

I love climbing on zwift though. It's just like powering through a flat TT outside where as IRL no one has ever accused me of being a climber.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Does anyone else find that you're consistently 1-1.5mph faster on Zwift than outside for the same power? For some reason this annoys the F out of me.

No air resistance would be my guess.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, no wind, and a pretty optimistic cda
Quote Reply
Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not super new to Zwift, but having some 'new' problems:

I've got a crank-based power meter on my bike and the wahoo kickr V5.

When I used the Wahoo as the power meter I can use a structure workout just fine and ERG works great.

But when I chose my power meter on my bike, and that same workout, suddenly the ERG mode doesn't work and it ends up really being just a ride.

I still keep the Wahoo FE-C as the 'controllable trainer' but yet the workout mode (workouts from Zwift or one I built myself) simply doesnt really control the trainer.

Any advice or solutions? I have heard one needs to increase the resistance (slider) of the trainer in the settings, but curious why it suddenly doesnt work.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

When I used the Wahoo as the power meter I can use a structure workout just fine and ERG works great.

But when I chose my power meter on my bike, and that same workout, suddenly the ERG mode doesn't work and it ends up really being just a ride.

I still keep the Wahoo FE-C as the 'controllable trainer' but yet the workout mode (workouts from Zwift or one I built myself) simply doesnt really control the trainer.

Any advice or solutions? I have heard one needs to increase the resistance (slider) of the trainer in the settings, but curious why it suddenly doesnt work.

Thanks in advance.
What do you mean it 'doesn't control the trainer'? It won't look as smooth on a power graph but it you set a target power the resistance should change with cadence. If you set a target of 250W and slow your cadence down the resistance should go up. The average power for an interval should match the target. If it doesn't you should probably contact Wahoo. I use an SRM and it seems to work OK although the power is not very 'smooth'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

Thanks in advance.

It isn't just you. In Windows, when we use our Snap or Core as the power source, the FEC link doesn't control the trainer. In the Controlled Trainer box (whatever that is called) select the other name for the device. We end up using BT connections for everything the best experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like a full course profile to be visible on the main race screen.
I know that they have the little lumps on the small map in the upper right- But a full course profile with my position would be super helpful in order to know what is going to happen next.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to have Zwiftpower live updates running on a 2nd screen.
Not available for all events, but if available it can be useful
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThomD: I will change my connection from Ant+ to bluetooth andn the Fe-C switch as well and report back.

Thanks for the advice. Hoping it works...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, nearly one year into Zwift, (sort of) here's how its gone.

I started in April 2020 with a FTP test on a dumb trainer w/ speed sensor, so bear that in mind. that test gave me an FTP of 268 watts (I've just been using the ramp test) I then jumped into the FTP builder program, and a couple of weeks later retested at 279watts. It doesn't look like I retested after that before pausing my subscription for the summer and just riding outside or indoors with the head unit and Netflix (no Zwift). I think my FTP stayed pretty much the same, maybe a slight increase.

In late October I picked up a Quarq, my first power meter, which has been awesome. because there are 2 different power sources, I'm using an assumption that my FTP remained constant between my test in May (on Virtual Power) and my test in November (on real power). On Nov 1, 2020, I did the first FTP test at 242 watts, so applying some math, I'm estimating my actual starting FTP in April at 232 watts. In reality, it was probably even less than that.

After that, I did some random workouts, group rides, and races on Zwift up until the end of December (tested on Dec 1 at 251 watts and Dec 30 at 271 watts). At the end of December I was at 215lbs, my highest weight ever. I didn't weigh myself in April of last year that I recall, but I'd guess I was around 205ish. ugh. My wife and I started on a new meal planning app/system, and in mid Jan I started on the 4 week FTP booster plan in Zwift. (it's just set up as workouts in Zwift). completed that successfully, along with some additional Z1/z2 rides and a couple of races here and there, and retested on Feb 6th - a modest increase up to 277 watts but also lost about 10 lbs.

continuing on, i tried using xert but didn't care for it, so it was a few weeks of random workouts, TSS anywhere between 350 and 500 - and took a rest week almost completely off the bike 2 weeks ago.

As of now, I'm 1 week into a 5 week "Crit Crusher" program, and yesterday I retested at 289watts at 195lbs. (based on 75% of peak 1 min power in the ramp, for some reason Zwift put it at 292, but whatever...)

total progress:
April 15, 2020 - 232 watts, 205 lbs = 2.49 w/kg
Nov 1, 2020 - 242 watts 210 lbs (?) = 2.53
Mar 28, 2021 - 289 watts 195 lbs = 3.26

I'm pretty pleased with that. I'm not really expecting much of an FTP increase on the current plan, but my weight should continue to come down. First bike race is on the schedule for May 2nd, hopefully that will go ahead. It will be my first bike race since 2004... yikes! Glued up the tubulars last week and took them out for a test ride, all is good on the gear front.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next