Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am running Zwift on my iPad and would like to get HR data, I already have a Garmin HR monitor that I use for outdoor rides, but being Ant+ it does not connect to the iPad.
Does anyone use the Coospoo Bluetooth strap, and does it work?.
Obviously either the Wahoo Tickr or 4!!! would be the first choice, but I don't want to spend much since once the Covid blows over I hope to go back to doing most of my riding outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been on zwift for 2 weeks, ridden for 13 days straight. Im doing the FTP builder program, plus other rides, about an hour per day, give or take. Took yesterday off for non cycling related reasons.

2 days ago I redid the ramp test about 1/2 hour after my workout. Got an 11 watt bump up in FTP. So that’s nice.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could get an ANT+ collector that collects all your ANT+ data and send it forward as a blue tooth signal
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... and just when I thought I knew something.

I recalibrated the Bushido using the TACX UTE AP.

Jumped back on Zwift - Volcano Loop (group ride).

Worked my butt off to maintain a wattage of 135 & 1/8 W/ K.G.

More research is needed.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Zwift power, I know you are independent from zwift, but why do you have people in your results with over 4.0 w kg in B.

I got filtered out of a race when I was actually in C based on my averages and was within the C threshold, came 10 th in the race as well, just because my 20 min power was too high.

I like training but I'm a C grade rider with a shot of winning in B i just get a really hard training session and your formula allows people better than me to ride C.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions:

One: I'm trying to go through the routes for the XP badges, and some of them are pretty short. Is there a way to select a new route within the same world other than fully exiting and restarting Zwift?

Two: It's not just me, the course profile thing is basically unreadable, right? I know how to read a course profile and I can't figure this thing out to save my life. Sometimes it feels zoomed in on a small segment, fine, but then I can't find myself on it? I just don't understand how a course profile is hard.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Two questions:

One: I'm trying to go through the routes for the XP badges, and some of them are pretty short. Is there a way to select a new route within the same world other than fully exiting and restarting Zwift?

Two: It's not just me, the course profile thing is basically unreadable, right? I know how to read a course profile and I can't figure this thing out to save my life. Sometimes it feels zoomed in on a small segment, fine, but then I can't find myself on it? I just don't understand how a course profile is hard.

I can't see how to select a new route, but I just figured out how the course profile works. it shows the entire profile for the route along the bottom of the minimap, you are shown with a pin on it. KOM's are shown along the bottom. the grade indicator on the top right also shows the course profile coming up next. That's all I know, it was totally confusing me until last night, then I finally "got it".

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good, I'll pay attention to it with that in mind, thanks.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Dear Zwift power, I know you are independent from zwift, but why do you have people in your results with over 4.0 w kg in B.

I got filtered out of a race when I was actually in C based on my averages and was within the C threshold, came 10 th in the race as well, just because my 20 min power was too high.

I like training but I'm a C grade rider with a shot of winning in B i just get a really hard training session and your formula allows people better than me to ride C.

For zwiftpower (for now at least) all that matters is 20 minute power. Or more specifically, 95% of 20 minute power. Total power for the race doesn’t matter
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All they do is encourage sandbagging. Do three races just for training go back to C. Enter C at least have a chance of competing for the win.

They neither need more grades or review the 95 % rule as it is flawed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually Zwift (and zwiftpower) are in the process of changing the cat system. It’s supposedly going to be based off 1 min and 5 min power,which are harder metrics to sandbag. (Not impossible, but harder).

Zwift has also indicated they eventually want a category system based off race results, and not your power curve. But there’s no timeline for when that might happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, how come none of you guys said that there would be mf'in velociraptors? Saw a pack of 'em on my ride yesterday. It's one thing getting chased by a farmer's dog, but velociraptors? seriously?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK racing question...

I want to sign up for a race and it gives me category options:

A: 4.0-5.0w/kg
B: 3.0-4.0w/kg

Do I select my category based on my w/kg @ FTP? Or based on what I expect to maintain for the race? If I go by FTP, I would need to select A as my FTP is about 4.4w/kg. But if it's a long race I am not going to maintain over 4w/kg for say a 100km race (I am talking about selecting the category in the Zwift race event signup page, not the ZwiftPower category)

Also I don't quite understand how ZwiftPower uses 95% of whatever 20 minute power you did in your last few races. It's not like everyone is FTP-testing in every race. If you are doing a 50-100km race you are not racing at FTP the whole time obviously. So your best 20 minute power in that race will be much lower than your FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep its weird, take the last three races 20 min power thats the grade. Nothing else matters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, it's not a good method. But it's the one we got
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Alright, how come none of you guys said that there would be mf'in velociraptors? Saw a pack of 'em on my ride yesterday. It's one thing getting chased by a farmer's dog, but velociraptors? seriously?

Have you seen the bear fall out of the tree, trying to get the honey?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on Zwift for just over 2 weeks now. I'm really enjoying it.

One issue I've had is the app freezing up and closing in the middle of a group event. For the 2nd week in a row, I've joined in the BMTR Fundo on Saturday morning, and for the 2nd time the Zwift app fronze and closed partway through the event. When I log back it asked if I want to resume and even though I I click yes, I am no longer in the event when I'm back on.

This doesn't happen when I'm free riding. I've also done one other group ride and had no issues. Is it something with this one event? The BMTR Fundo is large with around 1000 riders each week. Could that have something to do with it?

I'm running on Android app with Bluetooth connection to a Saris M2 trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

wait, is this for real? Where is this, and what does the bear look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No I haven’t found the bear yet. I’ll keep a lookout though.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost finished week 2 on Zwift.

701mi this week, a new high for me.

I’m 39mi and 1400ft gain short from all my favorite leaderboards. I might do one more ride tonight, not sure how much I want it. It was a good training week, the end of today’s century was slightly tiring but ok. My watts dropped off a lot but mainly was concerned with distance this week.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, is there a way to see what a Zwift workout plan was after the ride is complete? There are notes and such on the workout that seem to disappear once the ride is done, along with the actual workout plan?

Also, do you ever actually see the pterodactyls? Or just the shadows?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
MRid wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No I haven’t found the bear yet. I’ll keep a lookout though.

My google-fu, which is normally quite good, was subpar when I initially searched for this.

I'm glad to say that I've found him described

Image from zwiftinsider

I really wish he were a bit more anthropomorphic and wore a red shirt; but then Disney would have said something about it
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been Zwifting about 5 X / week for indeed about 6 weeks.

No rides longer than 2 hours.

No Zwift this past weekend.

Went out into the real world. Did the REAL IMC course with real wind, cars, gravity.

Wow, super-happy with how I did. A touch over 6 hours and in a good mood for most of it. And no SOAKED CHAMOIS.

Getting good training value for all the fun I have been getting on Zwift.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
OK racing question...

I want to sign up for a race and it gives me category options:

A: 4.0-5.0w/kg
B: 3.0-4.0w/kg

Do I select my category based on my w/kg @ FTP? Or based on what I expect to maintain for the race? If I go by FTP, I would need to select A as my FTP is about 4.4w/kg. But if it's a long race I am not going to maintain over 4w/kg for say a 100km race (I am talking about selecting the category in the Zwift race event signup page, not the ZwiftPower category)

Also I don't quite understand how ZwiftPower uses 95% of whatever 20 minute power you did in your last few races. It's not like everyone is FTP-testing in every race. If you are doing a 50-100km race you are not racing at FTP the whole time obviously. So your best 20 minute power in that race will be much lower than your FTP.

With 4.4 Wkg FTP, you should definitely start in cat. A. Not even close to cat B. level imo...
Regarding the races in cat A. typically the start is not very hard (you should be able to make the first group with ~400W for first 10-30 seconds and then some bursts) The races will only truly open up on any incline, and are determined by 1-5 min power ... don't be a hero in between hills and just follow wheels, you're not going to ride of the front of the A-cat on a flat road. For very long races the avg. power is obviously lower for everyone ... could very well be that you don't even need 4Wkg to finish with/ close to the 1st group in such long races; just be prepared to get dropped in final part of the race ... that's reality for most non-elites

Regarding your 2nd remark; ZP nowadays takes 95% of 20min power of your 3 best performances of the last 3 months in both races AND events.
Quote Reply

Prev Next