Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running trainerroad and zwift simultaneously for close to 2 years now on two setups at the same time (wife and I both have wahoo kickrs).

I do either:
Bluetooth connection from kickr to trainerroad on Android phone (erg mode).

ANT+ connection from kickr to laptop with dongle for zwift (power pairing only, not controlling).

Or:
Bluetooth to Apple iPad/apple tv for zwift and ANT+ to phone for trainerroad.

In either case you need two devices, one for TR and a separate one for zwift. Hope that makes sense.
Last edited by: JStirfry: Apr 23, 20 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JStirfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the "controller" option in Zwift do you just not select the trainer to make sure TR controls it and not Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
For the "controller" option in Zwift do you just not select the trainer to make sure TR controls it and not Zwift?

That's how I do it.

I have a laptop running TR. That connects to my Kickr and Power Meter via ANT+.

I have a second laptop running Zwift. I have that connect ONLY to my Power Meter via BT. I leave the controllable trainer disconnected.

This way TR controls my workout, and Zwift is just there for entertainment.

I only ever do this when I am riding in a "meetup" with friends but also have a structured workout to do. If I have a regular structured workout and I am not planning to ride with anyone, I just let Zwift do it. In fact, Zwift is better than TR in this respect since Zwift pulls the workout from Training Peaks without any extra action on my part (vs having to manually download a .erg file, putting it into TR's workout creator, and loading it into TR after).

I may just drop TR altogether at some point because I only ever use TR now in the narrow scenario I outlined above
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Here's how I do it:

AppleTV: Zwift with Quarq connected for power and cadence, nothing selected for "controllable"

Phone/iPad: Trainerroad controlling tacx neo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is a keyboard required to give a rider a "ride on?"

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Is a keyboard required to give a rider a "ride on?"

I'm still new to zwift so I don't know all the ways to give a ride on. I do know there are other ways to give a ride on without a keyboard.

If you are using the companion app on your phone or tablet you can give ride ons from there. I'm pretty sure you coud also use a mouse or touch screen to give one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as mentioned, the companion app is best for communicating and giving ride ons during a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 5 on Zwift.

Starting to get used to it. Did about 4h10min today in 2 rides.

My second ride, I needed to do about 2h3min for a particular Strava leaderboard, so had to do at least that much. I also wanted to try out playing poker at the same time, so joined an $11 $15K GTD tournament on America's Cardroom. I tried to put the mouse on a table just under the bars and it seemed to be in the best place, but would really be tiring to move the mouse if I was in a high watt gear.

I stopped playing most hands and would typically just shove premium hands. I started doing well with this technique, only playing a few hands and was top 20% in the tourney for a while. Then I got knocked out 2hrs into the ride and then kind of wanted to stop soon too so ended. It would have been nice to have gotten paid to ride and train, but I think I'm just going to focus on riding and not do these poker cycling sessions too often as it was just so difficult to hold pace and play.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how I have find out what my PR's are for various segments in Zwift? Or where the KOM's are? I've found a few just by riding around, but it would be nice to know which ones I'm missing or if I'm coming up to one.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How ‘good’ is Zwift? What kind of metrics does it take into account for the dynamics of riding? Like if your weight and height is set high will you be less aero etc? How far have they taken it?

And how come sometimes does someone come flying past me when their w/kg is showing lower than what I am currently putting out?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://zwiftinsider.com/...ift-strava-segments/

This is probably the best resource for what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
How ‘good’ is Zwift? What kind of metrics does it take into account for the dynamics of riding? Like if your weight and height is set high will you be less aero etc? How far have they taken it?

And how come sometimes does someone come flying past me when their w/kg is showing lower than what I am currently putting out?

TIA

because they're heavier than you, so putting out more watts, or they're drafting, or they were putting out higher numbers and just backed off...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:

Thanks.

I take it that I should just completely ignore the leaderboard? 45.6 km/h on 228W for the Box Hill KOM? really? and the women's is 45.4 km/h on 136W.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
MRid wrote:

Thanks.

I take it that I should just completely ignore the leaderboard? 45.6 km/h on 228W for the Box Hill KOM? really? and the women's is 45.4 km/h on 136W.
Short answer = yes, ignore.

I have found for overall Strava KOMs that a few of the people at the very top have legit results, but most top times are definitely the product of miscalibrated trainers (whether intentionally or otherwise), clear "weight dopers" (ie, lying about weight), or in-game glitches (I've had Zwift freak out and measure me at 2,000W before despite power meter showing 250W, would have had a KOM if I didn't stop to try fix).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes ignore the leaderboard. I like to use it to compare efforts, from my past rides. Also I like to compare to people I follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first long ride on Zwift yesterday - 170.1mi. I had 10 green smoothies and lots of gels. It started as a recovery ride or light LSD, but kept going so I went with it. I’m now boiling 12 eggs and am starving - lol.

Imma pass out hard tonight.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

because they're heavier than you, so putting out more watts, or they're drafting, or they were putting out higher numbers and just backed off...

Thanks -I clearly don't really understand how w/kg etc all relates to what happens 'on the road'.

What about weight/height/aero etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

Thanks -I clearly don't really understand how w/kg etc all relates to what happens 'on the road'.

I assume they've accounted for that somehow, but I don't know what the formula is. Someone inside Zwift would have to verify that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I did my first long ride on Zwift yesterday - 170.1mi. I had 10 green smoothies and lots of gels. It started as a recovery ride or light LSD, but kept going so I went with it. I’m now boiling 12 eggs and am starving - lol.

Did you say 170 miles? Holy whatever......
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
plant_based wrote:

Did you say 170 miles? Holy whatever......

Zwift ride last week and came upon a group of 5 or 6 that all were showing 220 miles (I took a screen grab just to prove it). Seeing that made me realized just was a cycling peon I really am.....I should have stopped and walked away right then and there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

I assume they've accounted for that somehow, but I don't know what the formula is. Someone inside Zwift would have to verify that.

Check out Chris Pritchard's channel on Youtube. He has done extensive testing with many things Zwift. As for your height and weight in the virtual world it does make a difference. For example, at the same weight the taller rider is slower in Zwift.
Last edited by: kini62: Apr 28, 20 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just in!!!

I threw my wife's bike on the Zwift machine (Bushido) for the weekend, so on Monday, I took her's off & put my bike back on.

I also used the Tacx Utility app. to calibrate my bike. I had to tighten things up a lot more than I had become accustomed to.

The final reading was "right in the middle of the green zone."

Decided to give the new setup a spin on the Figure 8 Loop.

A few (good) things transpired.

Tyre stopped slipping on most (but not all) climbs.

Less "dragstrip" smell in the pain cave.

I could keep up with guys on some of the sprints.

I hit for the first time ever, over 310 watts on the Zwift machine.

Until then, I just thought my "big power" sucked & that an endurance guy can't generate big watts, although in "real-life" I can hold my own in the C group for local crits an am usually a sub-six IM rider.

An interesting development.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've dabbled in Zwift, but never got past a few short rides. Thought I was a Trainer Road ride or die guy for indoor rides (I've been with them so long my monthly fee is less than 8 bucks). With the current situation and basically the devolution of the outside riding experience over the 12 years I've been doing this, I'm now all in on Zwift. Simulation mode as opposed to ERG mode has been a game changer for me as it feels much more road like in effort and experience. So, I saw on Zwiftinsider about the Route Hero challenge (ride all the free ride routes in 8-11 weeks), so I'm doing that. So far so good. Let me know if anyone else is taking on this challenge and I'll look for you out there (especially on the long rides).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it but without a timeline in mind and trying for the tron bike at the same time so I'm riding most of the hilly rides first.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

Check out Chris Pritchard's channel on Youtube. He has done extensive testing with many things Zwift. As for your height and weight in the virtual world it does make a difference. For example, at the same weight the taller rider is slower in Zwift.

Thanks! Good channel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next