Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.

I’m pretty new on zwift so it hasn’t happened to me yet. But I’d assume that would be rare? I think I’ll just put in a manual entry to TP rather than have to go into TP every time do delete extra rides.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brand newbie here, did my first ride and run yesterday. I just bought a Tacx NEO 2T, riding seems pretty straight forward but I have two questions.

1- How do I see the upcoming elevation change while running? I'd like to manually adjust my treadmill if I know what kind of incline/decline is coming up.
2- Is there a way to start a training plan on a specific day? I want to try the mutlisport mixer, but it seems like it starts the same day you select it, I'd like to push the start day our until 4/21, do I just need to delete the plan from my schedule and restart it on 4/21?

No rant or rave yet, but so far I'm keen to use it more.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Zwift crashes on you during a ride, you can retrieve the data from the device. On a PC it’s in your documents folder. A Zwift folder is created there and you can access your activities, upload them to Strava, TP or whatever. Mac has a similiar folder, but I’m not sure exact location.

If you are on iOS or Android, there a feature built in the game that will let you access old fit files, including your last file, which would ostensibly be the one you need after a crash. You can read about how to do it here
https://zwiftinsider.com/retrieve-lost-ride/
Last edited by: MRid: Apr 19, 20 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Very handy tips.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
JoelO wrote:
The easiest way to get around this is have both your head unit (Garmin, etc...) and Strava send the data to TP. Just delete the Zwift uploads in TP after the rides are posted.

This is what I do too. It's especially nice when zwift has a dropout or freezing issue you don't lose any data.

Same here for the reason you mention, although I actually keep the Zwift file in TP and just strip out the summary data manually. That way my volume totals, TSS etc. remains accurate and I can also dig into any past Zwift file for analysis if I want (helpful since the Zwift terrain is visible on those files). I've also used this as a way to compare power readings between my rainer and PM over time. Best of both worlds, although admittedly a bit of a PITA.

Now has anyone come up with a quick hack to eliminate the redundant files in Strava? I just gave up caring about my Strava totals and whether anyone really thinks I ride twice as much as I do.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just set my strava up to default an activity as private. Then I just go make the one file I want public. This is really nice for when you do zwift activities as no one cares about the 10 minute warmup you did before a ride or race of whatever that automatically gets made into a different file.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
I tried it once long ago (back in the early days of Zwift) and didn't enjoy it. I stuck with my method of Trainer Road and Netflix for all my indoor work.

When this whole COVID thing started I signed up for Zwift as all my friends were having Zwift gatherings and I saw it as a way to get some level of socialization. Well, it seems they improved it quite a bit. I am enjoying it for now. I am finding myself enjoying the "terrain". It's more natural riding in many ways than being locked into X watts for Y hours on TrainerRoad.

I suspect, as this year wears on, I'll be using Zwift a whole lot more. I do expect there to be basically zero triathlon season so this might have to scratch the itch for competition. I haven't thought about racing yet, I am still skeptical about it as I can see so many easy ways to cheat. However right now I am enjoying competing with myself and trying to improve my times on the various climbs and segments.

As with any video game, though, there are so many bells and whistles to learn about. All the various options and screen doodads. I am having fun figuring those out, at least.

Racing aside, the great thing about Zwift is that you can enjoy the accomplishment satisfaction of completing all the routes and then bettering your times. In addition to the badges you get for each completed route, you may find the following "Route Hunter" leaderboard to be interesting and motivating.

https://zwiftinsider.com/route-hunter/

Are YOU in the Zone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart - thanks for the tip!

Are YOU in the Zone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am fairly new to the platform (new Saris H3 trainer in December), 3-4 months and have enjoyed it much more than prior years of doing my own intervals. These were mostly longer 15-20 minutes just to maintain fitness during the Winter.

I am a little fast to feel good about doing C races without feeling like someone ruining the platform for others. In B races I am usually back half or more. I still do C races if I am tired from the days prior. The group rides and theme events are better for me in someways since I can find more people my level to mix it up with and pull thru. They are still brutal and just one step down from a race.

Some of the features you have to get good at are my weakness. Warm up with brutal start and what Slowman described with the drafting and delayed response if you are not focused. I also have to watch the course ahead and realize when the pace will jump and realize when I am getting an extra breath, it will turn mean.

I have a 1999 bike with a 39/23 as my easiest gear so I adjust the trainer difficulty to about 1/3 down from the hardest but that does not help me much. With everyone on different trainers and some people going extra light on their weight you just have to accept it is not a level playing field and get what benefits you. If you look at the winning watts in the B and C groups you wonder.
Once I accidentally did an A race at lunch and that was a solo ride and I don't mean off the front.

I think it helped fitness and my weight is down but I noticed my road and MTB had different positions outside and I have to adjust to them.
If you can have identical set ups with your bikes it would help more.
The nice thing is there rides and races all the time that fit my schedule and solo rides for easier days.
I may keep paying thru the Summer sue to allergies and fire smoke but undecided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I just set my strava up to default an activity as private. Then I just go make the one file I want public. This is really nice for when you do zwift activities as no one cares about the 10 minute warmup you did before a ride or race of whatever that automatically gets made into a different file.

That’s a good idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started last week and haven't done a race yet. I stopped riding outdoors about 4 years ago. Is there any point to linking Zwift to my Strava account? I know Zwift recommends it for races.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwiftpower wants it for races, but I don’t think that’s a requirement anymore. If your not interested in using Strava with Zwift, you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
Just started last week and haven't done a race yet. I stopped riding outdoors about 4 years ago. Is there any point to linking Zwift to my Strava account? I know Zwift recommends it for races.

Thanks
If you want to take part in ZwiftPower rankings, ZP works to link results to your account by checking your Strava. It is worth noting that Zwift's virtual maps exist on Strava, so if you're not using TP or an equivalent you can use your Strava to log workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [cdViking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdViking wrote:
kini62 wrote:

Thanks
If you want to take part in ZwiftPower rankings, ZP works to link results to your account by checking your Strava. It is worth noting that Zwift's virtual maps exist on Strava, so if you're not using TP or an equivalent you can use your Strava to log workouts.

Doesn't Zwiftpower get data directly from Zwift? I don't see why it would matter whether I log them in Strava. I thought the point of linking to Strava was to see if outdoor workouts had similar performance numbers to the indoor rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a Wahoo Kickr Core yesterday and did 3 1hr Zwift sessions after that. They were more demanding than I thought they would be. It was pretty fun though - I like it.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have a Strava account until last week and ZP has always worked fine for my zwift race results

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my 5th 1hr Zwift session since signing up yesterday. The last session was 60min at 240W / 185lbs.

I probably wouldn't have gotten a trainer if it wasn't for Covid 19 and generally thought inside hours were fake miles, but believe in them now. I'm pretty tired from these sessions, moreso than I generally feel off the outdoor bike. I think it is good training so far, much better than expected. I believe in these indoor training miles now. I feel a lot more comfortable pushing really hard than on the bike in general.

Before setting this up, I thought if I had a trainer that I would ride forever or always jump on it for kicks. But, I don't really want to get on it unless i'm going to push and have a productive session. And surprisingly I can't ride at high watts forever. I like these 1hr sessions so far. Also, I don't know my FTP, so I guess each session is an exploration of FTP.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been 50% trainer for past several years. Never got around to setting up Zwift.

Now two weeks in and really enjoying it. Did a handful of rides to get used to it. Joined the Slowtwitch Casual Friday Ride last week (Which was great. Thank you Sean for doing!). And then did my first race today. Jumped into a City Crit Race. Really fun and got a great workout.

Am excited to put this into the rotation of options depending on my mood and motivation.

See everyone this Friday AM.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the ST group workout today, and there was no way I could do it. Dan was leading the ride. said that the workout was set wrong. My FTP is at 268, workout had 6 x 3 mins at 335 with 2 mins between each. I think I did that for half of the first interval, then no way.

I think he owes us some apology pushups.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did today’s workout too. Ouch. I made it through the 1st interval. 6x3 minutes at 125% is brutal. especially with just 2 minutes to recover. I knocked it down to about 115% for the next 5 and made it through those.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is Day 3 of having a trainer and Zwift for me.

My 6th ride was another 1hr workout. I haven’t done the races yet and still kind of like self motivation on the London flats with random people.

This session was 242W at 184lbs (60min). It seems like I need 10min to warm up and typically try to really put out the last 10min. I start out with 2 jackets on and a beanie and am down to just my tri shorts at the end, no shirt, 2 fans.

60oz Gatorade today. I seem to be absolutely chugging liquids in these sessions.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched a youtube video on a fairly quick way to get a bunch of XP.

Do the volcano circuit (4.1km IIRC) XP for 1 lap, 5 laps, 10 laps and 25 laps. The best thing would be to do all 25 laps the first time. You get the extra XP only for the first time completing each number of laps. I did 10 laps so I got points for 1, 5 and 10 laps. The 10 lap XP bonus is 1000XP. Can't remember what the other were/are. Also you get an exta 10XP for using a TT bike on every lap. Using a regular bike gives power ups which are not needed here. And make sure your settings are in metric. You have a slight advantage in how fast they accrue. 20XP/Km versus 30XP/mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really prefer to see mph though - that’s weird it’s 7% more credit for kph.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some questions on connectivity: I've tried to search and feel I've been getting mixed information.

Set Up: Circa 2012 Macbook Pro. A touch slow to get running, but runs well once logged in. Good old-fashion Bluetooth.
Trainer: Cycleops H2 Ant+ / BLE
Powermeter: Ant+ Specialized Quarq
HRM: Wahoo Ant+ / BLE

Connectivity Option 1: Companion App
I've used the companion app to connect the BLE devices to Zwift. This seems to work well and is fairly responsive. However, with this set up I do not have the option to calibrate the trainer, nor do I have the ability to connect the power meter.

Connectivity Option 2: Ant+
I also have an Ant+ stick on a USB extension. This works well in that I can connect all my devices and also calibrate the trainer. However, this set-up seems just a hair slower to respond and therefore good but not perfect.

Connectivity Question: BLE Dongle
The question: Can I add a BLE Dongle to this set-up and get the best of both worlds? The ability to calibrate the trainer through BLE in addition to the better response of BLE. My Quarq and H2 report essentially identical numbers, so I am not concerned with having the Quarq connected and can just run that to my headunit.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to run TrainerRoad and Zwift simultaneously? I'm running a MS Surface Pro with Windows 10 Pro and apparently the native Bluetooth doesn't connect to my Saris H3 trainer, so my Ant+ dongle conncts to Zwift but can't connect to TR.
Quote Reply

Prev Next