Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Absolutely love Zwift. Problem is that after using it, now I'm feeling conflicted about TR. Haven't felt like this since I had two girls wanting to take me to the movies in Jr high on the same night.

It's a lot more fun to hit 40 minutes of sweetspot in a Zwift race than to stare at the graphs on TR for 90 minutes. For now, I'm going to keep both. That's what I should have done in Jr high, so I'm doing it now.

I had NO girls want to take me to the movies. That's why I now ride a bike in my basement with cartoon friends. Haha.

Same experience as most on here. Have really upped my trainer endurance since starting in early April. Have done some great workouts. Love racing and just emptying myself to hang on to group the last 3-4 miles. Climbed Alpe du Zwift chasing Alaphilippe on a Wolfpack Group Ride. Which was great as a newbie, since I couldn't unlock AdZ at that time.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was so close to a 1st place finish today. Crit City B race. Stayed with peloton all the way to the finish, but didn't push hard enough at the finish. I had a good amount left in my tank as well, but this window popped up and blinded my Zwift screen ... fuuuuuuuuuu ... then just pushed really hard to what I thought was the end, but it wasn't the end and I was 1 sec off first and got 12th ... omgggg noooooooo .... 1.1 seconds from the win ... 😭😭😭

so frustrated ... I HAVE to win this race next time ... ughhhh

If you're not first, you're last ...

Overall though, I'm getting to understand riding in the peloton a lot more. I don't really push the pace in it just kind of supervised recovery when it slows, but careful to quickly speed up if I see some people pushing the pace.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried again to win Crit City B. 6th. Held peloton the whole time and took off too early at the end and don't know how the people passed me. I started to take off at 0.3mi left, but maybe should have waited until 0.2 or slightly after that. It was a good race and I was super out of breath at the end hitting 189bpm. Good race though. I didn't feel like racing before, but I wanted to win so took 3 x 100mg Clif Gels after having 4 shots of espresso.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imma keep this thread going - I don't see any Zwift racing threads so here I am...

2 races today --- first was Tick Tock (B) and A and B started at the same time and I found myself in an A peloton mostly with only 3-4 other B people (I signed up for B). I kept up for 10mi or so and dropped while still in the peloton. Tough break. I didn't want to hang behind and ride alone.

Thennnn later today did Crit City (B) and came reallyyyy close to 1st. Ended up 3rd and had a really good race - I was comfortable for the most part in the Peloton and accelerated at the right time this race at the end. Hit a PR for Crit City sprint at the end at 180BPM for 19 seconds at 634W - which is a win in my book. I really want 1st though sometime and I guess may have to move up to A group at some point.

Last edited by: plant_based: Jun 24, 20 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Imma keep this thread going - I don't see any Zwift racing threads so here I am...

2 races today --- first was Tick Tock (B) and A and B started at the same time and I found myself in an A peloton mostly with only 3-4 other B people (I signed up for B). I kept up for 10mi or so and dropped while still in the peloton. Tough break. I didn't want to hang behind and ride alone.

Thennnn later today did Crit City (B) and came reallyyyy close to 1st. Ended up 3rd and had a really good race - I was comfortable for the most part in the Peloton and accelerated at the right time this race at the end. Hit a PR for Crit City sprint at the end at 180BPM for 19 seconds at 634W - which is a win in my book. I really want 1st though sometime and I guess may have to move up to A group at some point.

Looks like we did this race together. Ha, small world.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to join an event for the first time the other day but when the event time started nothing happened. Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong but I couldn't figure out how to join it. I could see the event was selected, I was in game a few minutes early, watched the time count down and nothing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift is holding a lot less interest for me over the last couple of weeks. I’ve been using it for workouts, but I tend to watch YouTube videos through a picture in picture chrome extension and just keep the numbers & workout plan visible.

I’ll probably wind up back on TrainerRoad.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I tried to join an event for the first time the other day but when the event time started nothing happened. Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong but I couldn't figure out how to join it. I could see the event was selected, I was in game a few minutes early, watched the time count down and nothing.

did you click the join event button?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way that I do it is I join the event in the companion app in advance (make sure you click the orange + sign), then when you log into Zwift it (should) automatically take you to the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I joined last Friday after buying a Tacx Neo 2T. I also sold my bike and bought an Argon 18 E118 Tri+, so I've not been on the bike for over a month.

So far I love Zwift. It has been humbling as I'm trying to get my cycling legs back under me. I've started the FTP Builder and did an FTP test. I can't believe how much I sweat in an hour or two. The other day I hopped off and threw on some slides to go to the other room and shower. My Swiftwicks were so wet I they were squishy feeling. I never get that sweaty. My bibs will get soaked, but generally the socks stay somewhat dry.

FTP Test scored me at 212. I think I'm already feeling a lot stronger after a week. I wanted a baseline so the workouts would base off my real current FTP versus some arbitrary number.

Once I get going I look forward to racing soon. I do need to get outside though while the weather is good.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a dehumidifier
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
You need a dehumidifier

And a bigger fan(s) !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, comes to think of it, better bibs.

My old Craft shorts from 2015 don't have micro-perforations, and the entire shorts end up getting soaked after 75 minutes or so (even at 68 F and 50% RH).

My newer Craft shorts (Hale and Hale Glow, all purchased last year) have micro-perforations (everywhere, but most importantly the portion covering the chamois), and they stay a lot drier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Looks like we did this race together. Ha, small world.

Nicee ! I really like Crit City races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
echappist wrote:
You need a dehumidifier

And a bigger fan(s) !

I usually drop my A/C down to 65 as well before starting. I start in a beanie and a jacket its so cold and then after a few minutes throw the extra layers aside and its very comfortable during the ride.

I use a big fan too on the side and have an overhead ceiling fan - there is a method to the madness.

Last edited by: plant_based: Jun 25, 20 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crit City is my favorite course to race right now, by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Crit City is my favorite course to race right now, by far.

Yeah I like it - I don't get tired of it. I got 3rd again today in (B) group at 4.1w/kg. I still need to work on my final sprint.

I ride the whole course like a fixie in my 2nd to last top gear.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I mostly fixie it too. Though I’ll occasionally shift to go harder if there is a big attack or the final sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
MRid wrote:
echappist wrote:
You need a dehumidifier

And a bigger fan(s) !

I usually drop my A/C down to 65 as well before starting. I start in a beanie and a jacket its so cold and then after a few minutes throw the extra layers aside and its very comfortable during the ride.

I use a big fan too on the side and have an overhead ceiling fan - there is a method to the madness.

Good advice. I may drop the air down from 76F. As well, one ceiling fan and my cheap DHB bibs might not be helping. I did have the window open, but it's Kentucky and like 100% humidity at 7am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
plant_based wrote:
MRid wrote:
echappist wrote:
You need a dehumidifier

And a bigger fan(s) !

Good advice. I may drop the air down from 76F. As well, one ceiling fan and my cheap DHB bibs might not be helping. I did have the window open, but it's Kentucky and like 100% humidity at 7am.

That sounds really uncomfortable. One loses quite a bit of aerobic power in that type of condition (someone has a chart that takes into account of temperature + humidity).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
The way that I do it is I join the event in the companion app in advance (make sure you click the orange + sign), then when you log into Zwift it (should) automatically take you to the event.

That's exactly how I did it. Then in game I could see it selected and could see the count down but then the timer hit zero and nothing.

Guess I'll try again.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift newbies thread (6 weeks and less) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
plant_based wrote:
MRid wrote:
echappist wrote:
You need a dehumidifier

And a bigger fan(s) !

That sounds really uncomfortable. One loses quite a bit of aerobic power in that type of condition (someone has a chart that takes into account of temperature + humidity).

I agree. It's probably good for another 20 watt average in a cooler room. Lol. I really need to think about ramping up my AC for my rides to straight cool through the duration and let it run continuous the entire ride. My wife will be sleeping in the morning so she won't notice. Haha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I know what you mean with the humidity - I’m in Charleston SC so humidity is to the max some days and come back drenched when running outside.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Yeah - I know what you mean with the humidity - I’m in Charleston SC so humidity is to the max some days and come back drenched when running outside.

I feel you! One morning this week I ran before work. It was around 70F so very cool. Mid run (5 miles) I could see sweat flying off my fingers. It's just crazy.

Memorial Day Weekend I ran a half mary on the trail around the lake before noon and lost 6lbs. I bought a hydration vest two days later.

At 150lbs and lean it's crazy how much I'm losing. I probably need to get back on the Tailwind.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Jun 25, 20 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
trener1 wrote:

That's exactly how I did it. Then in game I could see it selected and could see the count down but then the timer hit zero and nothing.

Guess I'll try again.

So if you log into the game, more than 6 minutes and 20 seconds before your event starts, then it will offer to take you to take you to your event automatically (at the 6:20 mark of the countdown).

But if you log in after that, or don't accept the auto joining, then you have to click the blue 'Go To Event' button that is below the countdown timer. If you still see the timer counting down, you are not in your event. You'll know you are in your event, when you are in the start pens, surrounded by other riders on virtual trainers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next