Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [Fluc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluc wrote:
I have to do some expectation management after teasing an upcoming frame box about a month ago. I did design one and had a prototype made:

This first attempt has turned out well enough for me to fit some spares in. However, it is still a bit too flexible, so I keep it secured with ducttape. Also, it is quite expensive to print (north of 150 usd), and it is at the upper bounds of what 3D printing companies accept. Also, this first iteration does not fit perfectly onto the frame. Added that the new IAx have down tube bosses, and that different frame size have different seat tube angles (read: a lot of work to get right), I am hesitant to continue this project and making it available for people to buy.

However, if I get a few people very excited, I may consider spending more time on this. To get this to make sense for me, I'd have to sell these boxes for about 250 USD. For those still interested, send me a pm, and with enough responses I might give it a shot. Though personally, for that price, I would wait it out until Felt comes up with one of their own.

I've seen a seen a Shiv fuel cell modified to fit there and it fit pretty well. Has anybody tried or had success?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
??? Do you have a picture of this?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the 3d printed covers for the calpac are cool but I wish they were the same shape as the default cover, if not for the simple fact that it looks better.

Bonus points if it had an easy way to open so the space isn't totally lost.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a picture next time I see it. It looked legit. I'm not sure how much modification it took.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
The New Felt IA /size [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I am probably going to buy a IA16 as my first tri bike but cannot decide what's the best size for me (54 or 56).
I am 5'11" (180cm), any advices?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA /size [amenbreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, everyone will say to get a fit.

But for a quick frame of reference: I am 5-10, and I got a 54. It is easier to adjust a bike if you buy too small. It is almost impossible to adjust if you buy too big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amenbreak wrote:
Hello,
I am probably going to buy a IA16 as my first tri bike but cannot decide what's the best size for me (54 or 56).
I am 5'11" (180cm), any advices?
Thanks.

I'm 6' and ride a 54. It works well for me since I can get nice and low with the aerobars. But it's at the limit of how far forward the aerobars can go, so I would fit a 56 just as well. You would probably fit both fine, but getting a fit measured is the only way to know for sure which is best for you.

Felt IA Calpac mods on Shapeways:
800ml Specialized Fuelselage (XS/S)
1000ml Specialized Fuelselage (M/L/XL)
DIY cover
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sloth wrote:
All the 3d printed covers for the calpac are cool but I wish they were the same shape as the default cover, if not for the simple fact that it looks better.

Bonus points if it had an easy way to open so the space isn't totally lost.

I've designed the 1000ml Calpac cover to be similar to the default cover. It's not identical because it's tailored to fit the Fuelselage well, but close enough in my opinion.

A reliable and sturdy opening mechanism isn't very straightforward to design or print. Also, the effective space that's left is almost useless, I can't think of many things I could fit in there. I've tried, but a spare tube is too large, as are most energy gels...

Felt IA Calpac mods on Shapeways:
800ml Specialized Fuelselage (XS/S)
1000ml Specialized Fuelselage (M/L/XL)
DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5"11" and a 54 was to small for me, ended up having to get a 58 . That was an expensive mistake, I'd get a good fit so you know for sure. I have a reach of 545 and stack of 640 if that helps.

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" (178cm) and got a 56 which is a good fit.
The 54 would have been too short for me and I'd be using a lot of spacers under the extensions.
My saddle position is not excessively forward and I needed to switch the original extensions for longer ones to get my position right. The inability to change stem length easily/cheaply limits your options here.
I can get lower than I am now but with all the spacers out I might not be as low as some would like.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA /size [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advices.
There's no felt dealer in my area so I cannot try it before buying. I will probably have to buy it online.
I will go for a 56.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on the position you want to ride. I'm 5'10" and went with the 54 so that I could get reasonably low. The 56 would have worked, but I would have been right at the bottom of stack with a regular bar and still been 5mm higher than I am now (currently with 15mm risers). I didnt want to under mount the extensions on the bar as that introduces another set of issues. My stack is 615mm. Because of the drop the reach is fine with the 54 at 490mm. If i had a more slack position then i would go 56, but I like the ability to be able to go lower still with the 54 if I were to just focus on short course or time trials.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA /size [Chief2Slo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chief2Slo wrote:
I'm 5"11" and a 54 was to small for me, ended up having to get a 58 . That was an expensive mistake, I'd get a good fit so you know for sure. I have a reach of 545 and stack of 640 if that helps.

i'm half an inch taller than you and wish i would've gone with a 56 instead of a 58. i've had to get creative to get lower. i can get my stack to 645 (by using the bracket from a profile design t4+ and rotating the pads out) but any lower than that is proving to be quite difficult and undermounting forces my reach way beyond what i can hold.

to me, you should definitely use stack as the most important number for determining size on the IAx. you can buy longer extensions if you need the reach
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA /size [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woops, just relized I accidently typed 58... I'm currently on a 56. Yea, 58 would have been big for me!

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my seat post bolts is MIA after a race this weekend. Anyone know how to get a replacement, quickly?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they are M6 threads, so you might pick up a similar size bolt from Home Depot, ace hardware or McMaster Carr until you can get a replacement ordered

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
One of my seat post bolts is MIA after a race this weekend. Anyone know how to get a replacement, quickly?

Good suggestion ^

Since you have a bolt to compare you can match up the length and be set. Stainless steel shallow head M6 x 1mm x 16mm if I recall correctly. Double check that length tho.

If you can't find one, let me know I've got a few dozen spares. I can send you one.

Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering what behind the seat hydration solution people were using with the IA10's saddle (a Prologo TGALE TiRox)? I've tried a X-Lab Delta 200, but the rails seem too narrow for it to fit. Has anyone had found anything that does work?

Nir
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10 [jhudsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the xlab delta 400 works on that saddle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Delta 400 and the Aeropouch set up on my IA10. Works great!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on how much seatpost you have showing and if you plan on mounting anything like a draft box behind the seat tube. I run into the problem where I don't have much exposed seatpost and use a trek draftbox. The draftbox leves me with limited clearance below the seat severely limiting my behind the seat options.

I used a xlab superwing for a 70.3. It put the bottles a little farther back that I wanted, but got the job done.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10 [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received the QR Qbox size 56 for my size 56 IA. Unfortunately I left the bike at my Upstate house and won't be back up there until next week. It looks like it will solve my storage issues and I'll just put the Calpac cover back on.

So far I have had the bike at two sprint races. It really gets a lot of attention. Everybody wants to talk about it. After the race this weekend, my wife rolled it over and put it in my truck. She told me after;

''If the young girls want to talk to the young guys, they should just buy this bike. They all come over to talk about it''!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
''If the young girls want to talk to the young guys, they should just buy this bike. They all come over to talk about it''!
It is the puppy effect... When I was much younger at a local park where a lot of people hung out, if you wanted the girls to come you you, just bring a puppy. You had to beat the girls off with a stick. If course, you had to have access to puppies.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, you can't finish first in your age group on a puppy. So far I am 2 for 2

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been following your glory posts, and I am dying to race my IA again. I finally have it almost fully dialed-in and ready for action. I have a hilly 70.3 in a week, so that course will not fully offer me the environment to push the aero prowess of the IA. I wanted to do a bunch of sprints this summer, but the calendar has not worked out for me so far. Maybe later in August and September, if I can find one or two...
Quote Reply

Prev Next