Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you specifically find problematic with the calpac? Felt might change it, but their changes might not address your needs.

It will hold several normal gel packs pretty well. It seems like overall volume is pretty good. It will not fully enclose a 5 oz. EFS gel shot, but I can live with that so far. If I could change anything, I would probably prefer a full-length zipper or Velcro closure that runs along the length so I could easier access contents from the top rather than the back end of it.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
What do you specifically find problematic with the calpac? Felt might change it, but their changes might not address your needs. .

difficult to access contents, and replace top/lid if removed inadvertently as noted by others in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally finished putting my IA10 together. First ride on it yesterday, sure is a firm ride!

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anoyne had any success in mounting a bento box (like the Torhans) onto the replacement cover that is sold here?

http://www.shapeways.com/product/P6QDPZ279/diy-felt-ia-calpac-cover

If so, I'm wondering what this looks like. Any photos would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [prenbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should be no problem to get the blank Calpac cover and mount an either Torhans or Profile rigid aero bento to it. All you need to do it is line it up. Drill a couple of holes and attach it with two bolts and nuts. You will lose a lot space though. My next plan it to order both Torhans and Profile from Trisports and see which one I can alter to fit, by cutting out the bottom, right on top of the Calpac without it's cover. That would give me plenty of room to fit my flat kit plus any nutrition I need to carry.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea! Would you still need the blank calpac cover in order to mount the rigid bento box? Still a little concerned how it will look as the Torhans bento looks to be much taller than the IA stem (I have an IA1).
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [prenbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't know how it looks until I try it. I want to leave the bottom of the Calpac in place and alter a rigid bento to replace the cover to give me more room. This year I used a Dark Speed Works bento that I had already in place of the cover. It looked a little kludgy but it did the job;

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Oct 28, 16 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic - I'm fairly certain we're in the same neck of the woods, where did you get your QBox from? I'm running the SC Box at the moment but it ain't pretty
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [garboticas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch out with the Qbox on an IA. Mine looked great but on my second ride the top disappeared. QR wouldn't help me out at all. They said they would sell me a new lid for $70. If you use one, put a little black tape on the sides to make sure the lid stays put.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd the very same experience with the Trek box :)
The first speed bump I hit took the lid off and spilled the contents on the road in one move.
Black tape all the way. Plus extra for the calpac lid, I don't trust that thing to last under pressure either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Watch out with the Qbox on an IA. Mine looked great but on my second ride the top disappeared. QR wouldn't help me out at all. They said they would sell me a new lid for $70. If you use one, put a little black tape on the sides to make sure the lid stays put.

I haven't had any issues with the top coming off my Qbox. I have an aftermarket one from Tri Sports.com that I put on myself with the bracket, although it is on a 2015 PRsix.

TriSports has the red ones for $65 and the grey and green ones for $80, that's the complete box with bracket.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a 58 IA 16, what size QR box do you think I should get?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, Does anyone have recommendations for new brake levers? The stock ones are kind of weak in my opinion. Black Friday deal maybe?

Also, the Felt rubber grips... what's a good replacement for those outside of bar tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the Trek one OK as long as you're really sure it's actually clicked in. The design is way too easy to have it not lock - I've taken to always trying to pull the top up and off before I start riding now.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sloth wrote:
Ok, Does anyone have recommendations for new brake levers? The stock ones are kind of weak in my opinion. Black Friday deal maybe?
Also, the Felt rubber grips... what's a good replacement for those outside of bar tape?
What do you mean by weak. You think they'll fail or you think they don't provide the ability to brake sufficiently. I haven't found anything particularly wrong with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
garboticas wrote:
viperlogic - I'm fairly certain we're in the same neck of the woods, where did you get your QBox from? I'm running the SC Box at the moment but it ain't pretty

Got a family member to bring it back from the US while over there for work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Mid second ride with mine it poped off and the tab broke. Luckily I found the tab and epoxy'd it back on but with two thin steel pins to strengthen it. Hasn't budged since
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took off the Calpak cover again and put back the DSW bento. It gives me plenty of storage so I'll leave it at that unless Felt comes out with something designed specifically for the IA.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Kmck27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kmck27 wrote:
Just got a 58 IA 16, what size QR box do you think I should get?

Since QR is not willing to stand behind something as simple as the cover for a qbox, I wouln't buy one or anything from them again. That's just me, if you want one, you might need a 56. Best bet will be to measure the back of the seat tube from the top of the top tube to where you want the Qbox to end at the bottom. Call or email Trisports asking them to measure the 56, 54, and 58 qboxes. They probably will and then you'll know what you want.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [The Sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched mine to the Shimano BL‑TT78 brake levers because others recommended them for their strong pull-ratio. I like them, and I do think they pull a little stronger than the original brake levers. If you want to get totally cool, get the carbon BL‑TT79 levers instead. Mechanically, they are the same. The carbon's are just lighter and look cooler.

I will be dumping my Felt rubber grips at some point. If you grab the brakes suddenly and aggressively, those grips will slip on the bars. I will probably go with bar tape or just raw bars, depending on my eventual bars to replace the Bayonet 3 bar system.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my IA16 built with a Zipp Vuka Stealth from the start. When I told the mechanic that I had Dura-Ace aluminum levers at home if he wanted to use them. He said ''yes, bring them in, they are much better.''

Just switched out the FSA crank to an FSA carbon crank that i got a smokin deal on on Ebay. Not that it will make a big difference but it cut almost a pound. I just wanted a nicer crank.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I had my IA16 built with a Zipp Vuka Stealth from the start.
Wait... what? I thought the Vuka Stealth's integrated stem would not work with the pre-cut IAxx steerer tube. Can you post a close-up picture of your stem/tube from the side. And, how tall is the clamp section on the stem? I was leaning toward the Alpha X, because that is a known good fit for the IAxx, but if the Vuka Stealth is a possibility, I may put that back on the list.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, didn't mean to get you excited. I used the one without the stem; Vuka Aero? It is a very sweet bar.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we get any long-term reviews of Fluc's fuelselage mod?

Any problems + ways to fix any issues?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well bummer. I hate the stem, so that has to be eliminated. I will likely go with the Tririg Alpha X-- it is pretty sweet.

I am also planning to replace my crankset with something lighter, more aero, and better looking. Like you said, it will probably not make me much faster, but it will make me feel better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next