Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I'll probably forget about this by the time I wake up, here's a picture from SuperFrog that shows it. If by some miracle I remember to search for pictures tomorrow, I can upload a better one.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Cobb saddle, and they make a slick bracket that attaches to the saddle for bottles & stuff. And, it has a space for a big that will hold a tube. So, I can fit a tube, 2 bottles, multiple CO2, and levers up there. I also have an XLab Gear Box on a bottle cage on the back side of the seat post with another tube and stuff. I like 2 tubes for long training rides.

In terms of aero placement of a bottle, I think it goes in this order...
  1. Behind saddle
  2. Behind seat tube
  3. In front of seat tube
There is not a lot of room in the triangle space for the two bottle cages. I tried putting two bottles in there on a 54 cm frame, and it is really too tight. So, I just have one bottle on the down tube and nothing on the front side of the seat tube.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any tips on clamping this bike into a mechanic stand?

I just got a Park Tool mechanic stand and am a bit nervous to clamp it on the carbon fiber. I know I am probably overthinking this completely, but better safe then sorry I figured I would check and see if anyone has nay tips or tricks on how they do it.
Thought about getting a Hirobel but it costs more then my stand did, that being said it is way cheaper then buying a new bike so I don't know.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Anyone have any tips on clamping this bike into a mechanic stand?

I just got a Park Tool mechanic stand and am a bit nervous to clamp it on the carbon fiber. I know I am probably overthinking this completely, but better safe then sorry I figured I would check and see if anyone has nay tips or tricks on how they do it.
Thought about getting a Hirobel but it costs more then my stand did, that being said it is way cheaper then buying a new bike so I don't know.

Thoughts?

Sell the Park stand and buy this (or the Park equivalent): https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/sprint-work-stand/

When I got my Carbon tri bike I sold my traditional stand and got this. Rock solid and I think makes wrenching easier.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like it would be a pain to work upside down, like when you wanted to mount a BB brake or just service the BB.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had a bike with a BB brake. Not sure a traditional stand gets you anywhere either? Though again - no experience.

However, for just doing BB work (replacing, maintenance, etc) it works just fine. Goes pretty high to get the BB level without having to bend over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the IA 3 and am working on the storage and hydration set up.

At present, I have a tube, 2 air cartridges and inflator inside the frame storage; torpedo water bottle on the aero bar extensions; 2nd water bottle on seat post tube; and I'm working on a bento box located on the top tube below my seat. My plan b for the bento box is using an aero version on top of the frame storage cover.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jimmy
how did you get ANYTHING inside the Frame and where "insight" the Frame? Thank you VERY much for your advice, sounds like a very good idea.
Pascal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
has anybody any experience with the XLab Aero Pouch 300. How is it aerowise? https://www.xlab-usa.com/aero-pouch-300.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sommer00 wrote:
has anybody any experience with the XLab Aero Pouch 300. How is it aerowise? https://www.xlab-usa.com/aero-pouch-300.html

I have one for my Cervelo P2. Is it aero? I don't know. Does it work great? Yes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello!

After reading all the posts, I decided to buy a Felt IA 16.
I haven't ridden it much yet, but from the times I've done it I think it's a great bike! Although I still have many things to learn, as this is my first ever TT bike.

I just have some questions about the handlebars. I did a bike fitting, and my position finished like this:

After a few rides, I find this position really comfortable, which makes me think I could go lower on the front.
But my handlebar pads are already in the lowest position.

Please, can I have any advice about how to get that lower front position? I suppose I could just buy a compatible stem/handlebar with lower height, but first I would really like to test the position.

I have thought in three options to lower the front height:
-Mounting the bars under the handlebar (but I'm not sure if that can be done with enough space to place the arm pads).
-Rotating and angling down a bit the arm pads so that my elbows sit a bit lower.
-Maybe increasing the reach (placing the pads more forward) could get me lower, but it would also change my arm angles.

Right now I'm planning to use it only on short (up to 1 hour) time trials, so getting an aggresive fit isn't a problem.

Thank you very much for your help!
Have a nice day.
Last edited by: mexer: Jan 5, 17 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [mexer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower doesnt always mean more aero unless you have great flexibility. Plus allot of poeple tend to loose power due to the bio-mechanics of the new lower position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This fall I was starting to think you were right about the rear brake. My rear brake just wasn't doing any stopping. I turned the bike over and when I squeezed the lever the pads were tight but when I rode and tried the rear only, it did nothing. First I tried Shimano pads, no better. I bought a Shimano brake online and when I went to install it I pulled the cable all the way out to the lever and found that the cable was mangled where it was going through the stem. Since there's really no reason to go through the stem, I ran it outside. It all feels good again, but I haven't ridden outside. I'll find out for sure soon but I did send the Shimano brake back unused.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am not a fan of that stem design. My bracket that secures the stem to the steer tube broke twice. And, the stem cap is almost guaranteed to crush the rear brake cable. I replaced all of my cable housing, and that made a huge difference. Plus, getting rid of the side pull brake with its noodle improves the cable routing and gets that little stub of extra cable from protruding out from under the BB.

My next purchase will likely be the Tririg Alpha X bars to greatly improve the stem and cable routing, among other very cool things.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rerouting the brake cable outside of the stem was one of the first things I did when I got the bike. With it in the stem it makes it basically impossible to break down to fly with, and it crushes the housing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:
Excellent appreciate the heads up. Mind posting a picture when you get a second?

Not my pictures obviously, but they are very good pictures of the installation:

http://www.tririg.com/...lpha_X_Compatibility

Since the IA steerer comes precut so short, the aftermarket stems that work is limited, but the alpha X is one of the ones that does work.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, everyone! I am newbie here.

I have got the problem on the sizing, hope your guys can share some advice.

I am an Asian and my height is 166cm. I would like to buy FELT IA 16 for racing Ironman 70.3 and preparing Ironman 226 next year.

Do you think size 48 is suitable for me? I know I should more info about inseam, but I don't have it on my hand. Could you guys share some advice? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [nigo12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without more information, no one can do better than a total guess. I'd recommend getting fitted for a Tri bike before choosing.
You can't reliably choose a tri bike on height alone.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
Rerouting the brake cable outside of the stem was one of the first things I did when I got the bike. With it in the stem it makes it basically impossible to break down to fly with, and it crushes the housing.

Many thanks for this! I was going to have mine rerouted through the stem for this upcoming season and hadn't thought of breaking the bike down.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pascal,

Here is the current storage set up on my new IA3. I may switch out the Zipp bento box with the Xlab aero version. At present, I'm focused on easy in and easy out with my gel bottle and electrolyte tabs.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [nigo12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 48 might work, but you may be able to go with a larger size. It really depends on your fit. I'm about 170cm and ride a 54. I can also fit on a 52.

According to superdave who used to work for Felt you should get the largest frame that will properly fit you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:
Excellent appreciate the heads up. Mind posting a picture when you get a second?

Some pictures of Alpha X/Omega X on a 48cm IA16. It's tight, but it works fine.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [siegfried08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of bars and extensions do you have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alpha x. those are 3t ski bends, but i'm not wedded to them..... i have a few different sets of extensions to still try.

tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [siegfried08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks. I just bought a set of Profile T1 Carbon extensions. I am deciding on the base bar next. I love the look of those bars on yours.
Quote Reply

Prev Next