Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the XLab Gear Box Kit in a standard water bottle cage on the back side of the seat post. Then, I have an XLab Torpedo Versa BTA. Then, I have the Cobb Rear Mount Hydration System mounted to the back of my JOF 55 saddle. For race trim, I run the BTA bottle plus two bottles on the Cobb bracket. For long training runs, I add another bottle on the down tube and I have an extra tube in the little Cobb bracket storage bag.

If I really wanted to add hydration for a very long ride with no refill opportunities, I can put a standard bottle cage on the front side of the seat tube plus a side-entry cage on the down tube for two bottles in the triangle. This would be my setup for a self-sufficient century ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone weighed their bike? I've been going around calling my IA16 the ''heavy artillery''. I thought it was going around 22+ lbs. I weighed it this morning. With a Zipp Vuka Aero bar and 32 spoke PowerTap wheels, it surprised me at 19lb, 2oz.

Should be about the same with H3/Renn disc. Nice!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm. You got me curious. I will put mine on a scale; it is still stock except for the brakes.

It is hard to imagine that you shaved more than pounds with wheels and bars. The weight difference from the Bayonet 3 and Zipp Vuka is probably less than 1/2 lb. And the most I imagine you could have reduced in the wheels is around 1 lb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the secret to getting out those tiny torx screws holding the cal pac in?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing special, it just takes a tiny torx bit. I took mine out to run a new brake cable. I happen to have a bit set of every size and type of bit on the planet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of tiny calpac torx screws has a bit of glue in it that you have to carefully remove. But it's not hard at all.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [sebemfo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was missing the little bit of glue on one of the screws. Piece of cake. I had to run a new cable also. Pretty nice having the huge opening available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had issues with the saddle mount chaffing the backs of your gluten? I have been playing around with my saddle position and found moving it back slightly a bit more comfortable, however the wings of the addled don't cover the saddle mounts now and it chuffed me up pretty bad after a few hours. Thought? I'm using the stock progoue saddle, not much I can do except move the saddle back forward till it covers the bracket again right?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OE saddle has had mostly negative reviews that I have found. When I bought my bike, the LBS owner "would not let me" buy the stock saddle. He started out the fit with Cobb 55 and really did not want me to walk out of the shop with the original. That was the only upgrade he was passionate about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking the original saddle off was the first thing I did when I got the bike. Replaced it with a Cobb plus2. Much better for me at least.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brought an Adamo TT saddle to the shop so the original IA16 saddle was never on the bike. I did however try that saddle on my road bike and found it not to be great but ridable for road position.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exact same as Sweeney. Adamo TT since day 1.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: Jul 18, 16 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I liked the stock saddle. Then I raced my first 70.3 and had to deal with some bad numbness. If the saddle had a cutout it might have worked for me. I ended up switching to an ism pn 1.1
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am fortunate, I am absolutely fine with the saddle, no issue there, the problem is the 3T saddle mount sticks out and cafes my legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible you are too far back on that saddle, or the saddle is too far back? I think meant to be ridden on the nose.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find the official Felt IA thread so I figured I would post here. My wife purchased the Felt IA1 frameset at the beginning of the year. We have had nothing but issues with the rear brake. Felt recently sent the bike shop we purchase the frame from a new brake which they replaced. She has had two brand new rear tire sidewall blowouts on steep descents using two different pairs of carbon clinchers. Is this normal of a rim overheating or could this be something else? Any feedback you can provide is much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [UConn140point6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride my 404s (Firecrest) 100 percent of the time and have had no issues. I have the stock 105 brake on my IA10. I would check the pad alignment to make sure it is not rubbing the tire.
Last edited by: 7ofClubs: Jul 19, 16 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the pad alignment or some other problem related to the tire touching the frame. I doubt it is related at all to the wheels, since carbon is a poor heat conductor, and the main problem with carbon clinchers and heat buildup is the ability of the resin to withstand the heat without losing its strength. Aluminum would get hot as well, and very efficiently transmit the heat to the tires.

Maybe look inside the chainstays and seatstays for any signs that the tire is rubbing.

Also, just dump the rear brake and get something more awesome, like a Dura Ace brake or an Omega X brake. I put the Omega X on my IA 16, and I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys very much, I really appreciate the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What rear brake is on there now? Is it rubbing? It would have to be rubbing pretty darn hard to be the cause. I don't want to blame the rider but is she riding the brakes all the way down?

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its what EXXXVIII suggested, the brake was rubbing on the tire. Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions on a bike box for the Felt IA series?

Getting rid of my TriAll 3 box as to large to travel with when multiple people are travelling. No room in the car.

http://www.abbeybiketools.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to do some expectation management after teasing an upcoming frame box about a month ago. I did design one and had a prototype made:

This first attempt has turned out well enough for me to fit some spares in. However, it is still a bit too flexible, so I keep it secured with ducttape. Also, it is quite expensive to print (north of 150 usd), and it is at the upper bounds of what 3D printing companies accept. Also, this first iteration does not fit perfectly onto the frame. Added that the new IAx have down tube bosses, and that different frame size have different seat tube angles (read: a lot of work to get right), I am hesitant to continue this project and making it available for people to buy.

However, if I get a few people very excited, I may consider spending more time on this. To get this to make sense for me, I'd have to sell these boxes for about 250 USD. For those still interested, send me a pm, and with enough responses I might give it a shot. Though personally, for that price, I would wait it out until Felt comes up with one of their own.

Felt IA Calpac mods on Shapeways:
800ml Specialized Fuelselage (XS/S)
1000ml Specialized Fuelselage (M/L/XL)
DIY cover
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Fluc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think at that price I would be out - seems like a lot of work especially for 5 different frame sizes on your part. I finally got notice that the new Qbox from QR has finally shipped and should be here next week. I ordered the size 54, which will hopefully fit much better than the Bontrager Draft box, in which case that will take care of all my storage needs.

I saw that you added this: https://www.shapeways.com/...&li=user-profile

Is the design the same as the this one I bought? https://www.shapeways.com/...mp;li=more-from-shop

I'd like to just add a top tube bag with one of those and the one that matches the curvature of the top tube would seem like the better piece to me.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new design you've linked is indeed different from the other. This one does indeed follow the curvature of the frame. It was a design request by someone with a specific wish to have an aesthetic and non-functional panel. I can see how that would be better suited with a frame bag, but I would first try it out with the flat panel.

Felt IA Calpac mods on Shapeways:
800ml Specialized Fuelselage (XS/S)
1000ml Specialized Fuelselage (M/L/XL)
DIY cover
Quote Reply

Prev Next