Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JShipman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All year long I had the Calpac cover off and a DSW aero bento in it's place. I kept a spare tube in the bottom and all my other stuff in the bento. Now I have QR box on the back and the Calpac cover back on. It's really pretty useless; good for your keys but I don't know what else. I'd be afraid to reach in on the go because it might pop off. If a new cover doesn't show up by spring, I will bet a Torhans aero bento and fit it in place of the Calpac cover. It's almost the same size, just a little more narrow in the front. Cut out the bottom, then take a heat gun and stretch the width a bit, set it in place, three little screws and I will have a functioning Calpac.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone find that the rear FSA brake pulls one arm more than the other even with the centering adjuster slider/screw set?

Certainly not a fan of that rear FSA brake, the center pull isnt the smoothest mechanism especially compared to that of the TriRig Omega.

Also, anyone find that the frame is not exactly square, eg if turn the grub screws in the rear dropout so the wheel is equal distance between the chains stays, its not equal distance between the seats stays? Nothing huge but a few mm.
Last edited by: viperlogic: Oct 16, 16 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering buying an IA(x), for next season.
I want to run eTap, and can buy an IA 1, built with eTap and Zipp 404's.
I could also by an IA 10 frame set and then build it as I want.
Aside from the obvious unfared front brake and the extra bosses on the back of the seat tube, I see no difference.
If you were in my shoes, with options to buy either, which would you choose?...

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
I am considering buying an IA(x), for next season.
I want to run eTap, and can buy an IA 1, built with eTap and Zipp 404's.
I could also by an IA 10 frame set and then build it as I want.
Aside from the obvious unfared front brake and the extra bosses on the back of the seat tube, I see no difference.
If you were in my shoes, with options to buy either, which would you choose?...

Thanks.

The IA10 frame has a lower stack height. You'll be able to achieve a better position on the IA10. With a Tririg brake, the wind can't tell the difference between the 10 and the 1

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I thought... Hoping to go with Tririg bars as well, depending on exchange rates with GBP!!! ðŸ‘
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally went the IAxx route given I knew I was going to put in a TriRig cockpit and OmegaX brakes.

Cross post from the Let's See Your Ride thread, but may as well put it here.

Took a while to build this up from the frame set over weekends when balancing twin infants, but got it all settled. Only needed LBS for their crank tool - very happy I took the time to do this myself. Will fine tune the fit (i.e. arm pad angle) over time.

- Felt IA16 Frame
- TriRig AlphaX Bar with Tilt Kit
- TriRig Gamma Extensions
- CeeGees ArmPads
- fi'zi:ik bar tape
- TriRig OmegaX Brakes (front and BB)
- Shimano Dura-Ace Crank with Pioneer Powermeter
- Kogel Ceramic BB Adapter
- Shimano Ultegra Front and Rear Derailleur, Cassette and Chain
- Shimano Dura-Ace TT Shifters
- TRP Brake Levers
- Xlab Torpedo BTA Cage on TrigRig AlphaX BTA Mount
- Xlab Delta 400 with Gorilla Cage behind the saddle
- Quintana Roo QBox modified and re-drilled for good fit on the IA
- Flo Disc and Flo 60 (Flo 90 as well)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [NWash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NWash wrote:
I personally went the IAxx route given I knew I was going to put in a TriRig cockpit and OmegaX brakes.

Cross post from the Let's See Your Ride thread, but may as well put it here.

Took a while to build this up from the frame set over weekends when balancing twin infants, but got it all settled. Only needed LBS for their crank tool - very happy I took the time to do this myself. Will fine tune the fit (i.e. arm pad angle) over time.

- Felt IA16 Frame
- TriRig AlphaX Bar with Tilt Kit
- TriRig Gamma Extensions
- CeeGees ArmPads
- fi'zi:ik bar tape
- TriRig OmegaX Brakes (front and BB)
- Shimano Dura-Ace Crank with Pioneer Powermeter
- Kogel Ceramic BB Adapter
- Shimano Ultegra Front and Rear Derailleur, Cassette and Chain
- Shimano Dura-Ace TT Shifters
- TRP Brake Levers
- Xlab Torpedo BTA Cage on TrigRig AlphaX BTA Mount
- Xlab Delta 400 with Gorilla Cage behind the saddle
- Quintana Roo QBox modified and re-drilled for good fit on the IA
- Flo Disc and Flo 60 (Flo 90 as well)

Did you buy whole bike and the rebuild or were you able to find just the frame??

I want to build up this frame but already have all the components and don't like scheme of the IA10.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the frame. I got it new off a fellow Slowtwitcher who had parted it out but ended up selling the frame (I also liked the color scheme the best on the 16 and knew the AlphaX fit the pre-cut fork on the IA16).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a nice build and spec sheet.
I'll need to get a few things shipped from the states. I don't see the QR QBox anywhere in the U.K, either.
Hope it'll work with a 48 frame, as I think that's where I need to be. ðŸ‘
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Maybe I will be so lucky. Enjoy the bike - it's a badass build!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size QBox did you get, and what size frame is that IA? I will probably just pull the trigger and order a QBox for mine, based on your picture. The fit is excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've a 54 box on 56 frame. Just have to drill a new top hole on the box mount
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 54 IA frame. I have seen a posts that are mixed between the 48, 52, and 54 QBox as the ideal match for a 54 IA. The fit on NWash's looks perfect. I am trying to match a picture with the sizes to figure out what I should order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you heard of anyone doing any sort of testing with that box on the back? i've held out for something aero matched to the bike, but i've always been curious how the qbox behaves
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
have you heard of anyone doing any sort of testing with that box on the back? i've held out for something aero matched to the bike, but i've always been curious how the qbox behaves
No, but optically, a poorly-fitting AR QBox or Trek Draft Box has to be a crapton better than XLabs Gear Box Kit. And, if you really wanted to soup it up, just put some 1-1/2" electrical tape on it to seal the space between frame and box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:

No, but optically, a poorly-fitting AR QBox or Trek Draft Box has to be a crapton better than XLabs Gear Box Kit. And, if you really wanted to soup it up, just put some 1-1/2" electrical tape on it to seal the space between frame and box.

right now i'm not running anything on those bosses. i cut the bottom off my my calpac and created a deeper basket with duct tape and have a full flat kit in there and can fit a few gels as well. i'd like to move that stuff to the back and use fluc's mod for more hydration, but i'm not really willing to sacrifice the aeroness of the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaaah, yours is a slightly different question: What is the aero difference between no box on the seat post versus one of the modded options out there. The thing is, it is possible that a well-installed box could improve airflow, since it is would be forming a fairing over the wheel and could be an airfoil extension of the seat tube. For a start, I would look around for QR or Trek aero testing that shows the differences with and without their respective boxes. (I have not seen that, but now I am curious to look as well.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without starting a discussion about Religion, 2 things regarding Box and Aero:
1: IA FRD and IA2 do not have these bolts to mount anything @ seat post. so the pro-bikes do not have it due to aero reasons!
2: as a mid-Level 70.3 ironman, I have 1 question. Does anybody here really believe that one feels or realizes the aero Advantage of an integrated brake or box behind or not behind anything?
Do you all race at a such steady watt/pace that you feel a difference? It's a nice discussion, but then you see all the gels sticked to bikes, Hugh bottles at the back, heavy and massive riders on the aero bike.
I have a photo from my last 70.3 Ironman from the very front of me. My bike Looks as lean as it can get, but the big "Thing" in the wind is me. So loosing 1 Pound would bring way more than an integrated brake (I guess) and my shoulders are as wide as the bones unterneath are. No way to Change anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Losing weight or getting stronger is not mutually exclusive from optimizing equipment. They are both-and. It does not matter what we feel; the science supports that the small improvements yield performance gains. So, lose a pound and make your bike faster by the wisely-chosen, small enhancements.

Edit: fixed a typo
Last edited by: exxxviii: Oct 18, 16 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sommer00 wrote:
Without starting a discussion about Religion, 2 things regarding Box and Aero:
1: IA FRD and IA2 do not have these bolts to mount anything @ seat post. so the pro-bikes do not have it due to aero reasons!
2: as a mid-Level 70.3 ironman, I have 1 question. Does anybody here really believe that one feels or realizes the aero Advantage of an integrated brake or box behind or not behind anything?
Do you all race at a such steady watt/pace that you feel a difference? It's a nice discussion, but then you see all the gels sticked to bikes, Hugh bottles at the back, heavy and massive riders on the aero bike.
I have a photo from my last 70.3 Ironman from the very front of me. My bike Looks as lean as it can get, but the big "Thing" in the wind is me. So loosing 1 Pound would bring way more than an integrated brake (I guess) and my shoulders are as wide as the bones unterneath are. No way to Change anyway.

What does religio have anything to do with this? Unless you see aerodynamics as religion, in which case, you've come to the right place I guess.

1. Way to jump to conclusions. The IAx bikes are slightly different and older than the IAxx frames, I'm pretty sure that's the only explanation as to why the bosses aren't there. Pro's ride the IA FRD because that's the most expensive bike Felt makes ;)
2. No one "feels" these small aero advantages, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. You feel the difference between being on the aerobars and being on your brakes, because it probably constitutes at least 50W of drag. All those small savings are real, even if you don't feel them. And a draftbox behind the seatpost is specifically targetted to remove some of the crap you refer people have hanging off their bike.

your other points: riding at steady watts or pace is irrelevant to whether the difference is there or not. Losing 1 pound is generally a good idea, but not because it will make you faster on the bike. Besides, why not get the integrated brake and lose the 1 pound? These things are not mutuall exclusive.
Last edited by: snaaijert: Oct 18, 16 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for your comments, I just felt weird that I do not "feel" these advantages and I had the Impression, you all do!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does the IA10 come in all black, including bike writing for the Felt logo?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cquin534] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cquin534 wrote:
does the IA10 come in all black, including bike writing for the Felt logo?

No, the IA10 comes in black and white with blue accents. The 16 comes in mostly black with white lettering and logo and red accents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested in an IA16 but don't want to get stuck with the problematic calpac. Has anyone heard when Felt will fix/update the calpacs?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the updated calpac is "supposedly" going to be released in the "spring". honestly, you can make the calpac a non-issue by either

1) buying a third-party bento box and affixing it over the calpac opening, there are posts above that describe how to do this
2) removing the calpac, cutting off the bottom and creating a new basket with duct tape like i did and posted about further up the thread
3) buying a shiv bladder and ordering fluc's mod, also described above in the thread

you have options and it shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether or not you buy the bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next