Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kkoole wrote:
1. How can I preserve battery life with my Joule (non GPS, uses CR2032)?

Do you have the latest firmware (18.057 at least?)
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [MrSkinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrSkinny wrote:
kkoole wrote:

Yes, that's the version I am using.

The other day I received a "low battery" warning, and joule gave me the option to select "OK". I finished the ride, data was fine. Afterward I changed the 2032 battery in the Joule thinking that was the reason for the warning. Today I got the same warning, and selected OK. I was on the trainer using TrainerRoad.com, and shortly thereafter my power and speed dropped out (no reading) from trainerRoad, yet the Joule still displayed both.

Does that battery warning mean the hub battery is dying? When my Joule battery died the whole thing went dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an 8 month old G3 hub which yesterday stopped communicating with my Garmin Edge 500. I replaced the battery. Still not recognised. I have tried to update the firmware following the instructions on Powertap's FAQ page but Poweragent doesn't prompt to remove battery as per instructions below. I have tried updating without battery in at all which has been suggested on some forums. Every time I try to update I am told there is a new update available (16.037) but at the end of updates I am told my hub has successfully been updated to 16.00. Regardless of all this, my hub ( with fresh battery) is still not recognised by my Garmin Edge 500.
On a PC
  1. Open PowerAgent
  2. Plug in PowerCap with battery IN.
  3. Click "check for firmware update"
  4. When it says that firmware update is available, click OK.
  5. It will then notify you to take the battery OUT.
  6. Disconnect PowerCap, take out battery, wait 10 seconds, plug in PowerCap (battery is still OUT at this point)
  7. Click OK on the window that instructed you to take the battery out
  8. Firmware will install
  9. When it says that it was successful, unplug PowerCap
  10. Wait 10 seconds, plug battery back in
  11. Plug in PowerCap (with battery IN) and click configure device (button that looks like two blue arrows)
  12. It will then tell you what version of firmware you have. Current firmware version is 16.037.

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My SL+ has always been around the 524 mark, so a little on the high side, but after a recent battery change it's up to 530. Any idea why and should I be concerned?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [krozema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the wired units you need to perform a manual zero after switching hub and computer combos.

Give that a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5GVDUUzGQ8

krozema wrote:
Wired PT with carbon cutouts. Bought from a ST'er. Its been amazing!!!
Lost the LYC that came with when purchased. (Had the 2.4 on the side of the display)\

I was able to buy another one from a ST'er, as well.

However now the readings are all over the place. Barely pedaling reads at over 200w, speed seems accurate until stopped then it takes 15-30 sec before it reads zero mph.

Tried what i thought was the zero torque whatever thing, and it displayed 412.

I could really use your help!

Thanks Jesse or anybody else for whatever help you can offer.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you got it figured out and sorry about the phones, I should have posted something here but our phones have been down a lot lately due to some nearby utility work-

https://www.facebook.com/...osts/521683934547285

cl60guy wrote:
Just did the firmware update to my G3 hub as outlined on the website as I was having issues with the hub going to sleep. Well, as soon as the update completed PowerAgent no longer recognizes the hub, and it appears to be dead, my garmin head unit can't find it either. Have tried multiple batteries. No one is answering the 800 number on the website. Is there another number I can try to get this resolved? With the exception of the odd sleep issue the hub has performed flawlessly and I would like to have it back!

Edit - realized that PowerAgent would still recognize the hub (no s/n info tho) with no battery installed, after multiple firmware update attempts it finally works again. Still not sure why no one answers the phone though!

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All PowerTap hubs by default will auto-zero whenever you coast for more than about 3 seconds and your speed is greater than about 12mph.

jaretj wrote:
I've been searching here, garmin forums and wattage forum and still haven't found an answer to this:

I have a G3 and want to know what the sequence of events are for it to autozero.

Does the G3 do an autozero on itself or is it only in the head unit only?

Is there some time limit to coasting that starts it?

I've been using a new Joule, Garmin 500 and a Garmin 310xt

jaretj

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [AngrySaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should have some in stock here in Madison, give us a call at (800) 246-5975

AngrySaki wrote:
Does anybody know where I could find a 12mm powertap axle? All I can find are freehub bodies.
I don't know how it happened, but mine seems to have gotten bent somehow.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jezza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jezza wrote:
I have an 8 month old G3 hub which yesterday stopped communicating with my Garmin Edge 500. I replaced the battery. Still not recognised. I have tried to update the firmware following the instructions on Powertap's FAQ page but Poweragent doesn't prompt to remove battery as per instructions below. I have tried updating without battery in at all which has been suggested on some forums. Every time I try to update I am told there is a new update available (16.037) but at the end of updates I am told my hub has successfully been updated to 16.00. Regardless of all this, my hub ( with fresh battery) is still not recognised by my Garmin Edge 500.
On a PC
  1. Open PowerAgent
  6. Disconnect PowerCap, take out battery, wait 10 seconds, plug in PowerCap (battery is still OUT at this point)
  8. Firmware will install
  11. Plug in PowerCap (with battery IN) and click configure device (button that looks like two blue arrows)
  12. It will then tell you what version of firmware you have. Current firmware version is 16.037.
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joule should say "power battery low" or something to that effect. From the sounds of it (power and speed dropping out) I'd say it is the hub battery that needs changing. They typically last 300-400 hours.

Regarding Joule, you can use a Maxell brand battery for better life.

kkoole wrote:
MrSkinny wrote:
kkoole wrote:

Yes, that's the version I am using.

The other day I received a "low battery" warning, and joule gave me the option to select "OK". I finished the ride, data was fine. Afterward I changed the 2032 battery in the Joule thinking that was the reason for the warning. Today I got the same warning, and selected OK. I was on the trainer using TrainerRoad.com, and shortly thereafter my power and speed dropped out (no reading) from trainerRoad, yet the Joule still displayed both.

Does that battery warning mean the hub battery is dying? When my Joule battery died the whole thing went dead.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What version of Garmin firmware do you have? There have been some issues on that side also.

Regarding the g3 update, having the battery in allows PowerAgent to read what version is on the device, unfortunately, it cannot update with the battery in. If PowerAgent happens to attempt to read the version but the battery isn't in then it will by default say version 16.00.

To check what version is on the cap:

1. Open PowerAgent

At this point it should say your current firmware is up to date. If you still get stuck in the loop of it telling you there is a new version it might be best to give us a call. 800-246-5975.

jezza wrote:
On a PC
  1. Open PowerAgent
  8. Firmware will install

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesse
Will do. I keep getting told that my firmware is 16.000 and to update to 16.037, however after updating, and replacing battery it says my current firmware is 16.000. The hub is also still no longer seen by my Garmin Edge 500.
Can you confirm first that the instructions for a firmware update on the Powertap site are correct? I want to make sure that I am at least attempting the update correctly. I have never received any notification to take the battery out during the firmware update. It seems that people are suggesting that the update needs to be done without the battery being in at all. Here are the instructions from your website:
  1. Open PowerAgent
  8. Firmware will install

Jezza

powertap wrote:
What version of Garmin firmware do you have? There have been some issues on that side also.

Regarding the g3 update, having the battery in allows PowerAgent to read what version is on the device, unfortunately, it cannot update with the battery in. If PowerAgent happens to attempt to read the version but the battery isn't in then it will by default say version 16.00.

To check what version is on the cap:

1. Open PowerAgent

At this point it should say your current firmware is up to date. If you still get stuck in the loop of it telling you there is a new version it might be best to give us a call. 800-246-5975.

jezza wrote:
On a PC
  1. Open PowerAgent
  8. Firmware will install
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
powertap wrote:
Declan wrote:
I downloaded the new version of the Software yesterday. I always used to use the old Merge function, ie merging before saving. After yesterdays and todays ride at that function was unavailable I attempted to merge after downloading. I am unable to do so as for either day as it says that "One or more activities overlap". The activities do not overlap.

Is it possible for me to download the old version of the software so that I can go back to merging the data before saving?

It's possible that some Cervo devices record a few extra packets of data throwing off the merge feature. One possible way around this (besides rolling back PowerAgent) is to adjust the auto-merge setting under Edit|Preferences. It's actually a setting called "Maximum time between rides"

Try increasing that from the default 1 minute to 15 and see if the ride comes through as you desire.

This doesn't work. I did a 40km TT yesterday. The signal dropped once during the ride, and sure enough, the download showed up as 2 separate rides. I could not get them to merge. I already had 15 minutes set as the maximum time between rides. When I looked at the rides separately, it came to 44km in 1:05:xx, which is completely wrong. Is there any other fix to this merge issue?

bump

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
All PowerTap hubs by default will auto-zero whenever you coast for more than about 3 seconds and your speed is greater than about 12mph.

jaretj wrote:
I've been searching here, garmin forums and wattage forum and still haven't found an answer to this:

I have a G3 and want to know what the sequence of events are for it to autozero.

Does the G3 do an autozero on itself or is it only in the head unit only?

Is there some time limit to coasting that starts it?

I've been using a new Joule, Garmin 500 and a Garmin 310xt

jaretj

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The instructions are correct but you can try ignoring step #6 and proceeding directly to step 7. I do this routinely but I also don't have the issue you're having so it's hard to say what will happen in your case.

If this doesn't work give us a call. Our tech support team will be more familiar with the particular issues related to this process than I am at the moment.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're analyzing the files you sent us over the weekend. I'll get back to you soon.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a G3 paired to my Garmin 510. I did a manual torque zero offset before my FTP test yesterday and saw 502 on the calibration screen. On my next FTP test, should I keep on calibrating the unit until I see the same 502 offset in order to get a consistent/valid comparison between the two FTP values? For me, it seems harder to achieve the same power output at higher torque offset, say 505 or 512.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If every possible variable were always the same then theoretically the offset value would always be the same. However, this is most definitely not the case so striving for the same offset value is not the goal. As long as you're within our recommended range (495 to 529) you won't see a noticable difference in the data. Outside this range is an indirect indication of a larger issue that may or may not result in data errors.

RichardL wrote:
I have a G3 paired to my Garmin 510. I did a manual torque zero offset before my FTP test yesterday and saw 502 on the calibration screen. On my next FTP test, should I keep on calibrating the unit until I see the same 502 offset in order to get a consistent/valid comparison between the two FTP values? For me, it seems harder to achieve the same power output at higher torque offset, say 505 or 512.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have around 5,500 on my Powertap. Only 2 wet rides (very) and mainly used in a semi arid climate so little moisture / humidity, can be a bit dusty but not very.

What servicing needs to be done and when? What should I look out for?

Thanks.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help!
Powertap SL 2.4 wireless was working fine with Garmin edge 500. Then garmin loses connection midride, so I assume its hub batteries. Replaced the two batteries and now the garmin cannot find the powertap. Not seeing the "powermeter detected" on screen.
ANT + Power:
I've rescanned it numerous times.
"sensor status" Not Connected
"sensor ID" 0
ANT + spd/cad also doing the same thing
Is the PT dead?
I've had the unit since 2007.

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse/guys

All of a sudden after 8 months my Joule GPS is refusing to pair/calibrate with my Power Tap 3G. I keep getting (BAD DATA!) come up when I try to pair/calibrate. The only data I'm getting is speed and average speed. The hub battery was changed 5 weeks ago. Anyone got any ideas what could be up? Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

I have a Joule 2.0 using a Pro+ Hub. On the Joule, since maybe 2 weeks ago, I get a warning across the top of the screen that says, "PWR Batt". I will get this even when the Joule battery has just been fully charged. I don't think this is the same warning that comes up when the battery is low and just needs to be charged. I don't think it is the hub battery either because I have seen the warning to change that battery, and it doesn't say "PWR Batt". I am wondering if there is something I need to do to get that warning to go away, like get a new rechargeable battery for the Joule. Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
As long as you're within our recommended range (495 to 529) you won't see a noticable difference in the data.
OK, here is what I noticed yesterday during my interval session on an indoor trainer. I manually calibrated the head unit after 10 minutes of warming up and got 499. I then did a 10-min interval at 100% FTP, which required a cadence of 88 rpm to hit the target wattage. I did an easy spin for 2 minutes afterward, then did another manual calibration and got 505. Did another 10-min interval at 100% FTP, but this time it took a cadence of 94 rpm to hit the same wattage. Seems to be a bug here. To me, after a manual torque zero offset, it should take the same amount of effort and cadence to hit the same wattage.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giddy-up-n-go wrote:
Help!
Powertap SL 2.4 wireless was working fine with Garmin edge 500. Then garmin loses connection midride, so I assume its hub batteries. Replaced the two batteries and now the garmin cannot find the powertap. Not seeing the "powermeter detected" on screen.
ANT + Power:
I've rescanned it numerous times.
"sensor status" Not Connected
"sensor ID" 0
ANT + spd/cad also doing the same thing
Is the PT dead? .
I've had the unit since 2007.

Same thing happened to my 6 month old G3 over the weekend! I emailed customer support on Monday, received a response from a very friendly and understanding representative named Kip on Wednesday. I described the situation, he asked me to try to update/re-install the firmware (which didn't help). He quickly said "you must have a bad unit, what's your address and I'll mail you a new replacement cap today"!

This is the kind of product/customer support I expect with a $1,500 unit! Very pleased! Now let's hope the new cap doesn't eat up batteries every 50 hours! haha I just hope it's here by Friday so I don't have to ride long this weekend without power. Oh the humanity!

CC
Quote Reply

Prev Next