Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad query [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

Thanks for the input, I'll stick with the ANT+ for the ore accurate reading.

Since the workouts have been difficult for you, you may want to retest your FTP using the Ramp Test before you proceed with your training.

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Bryce Lewis TR: Aug 20, 19 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok
So your saying potentially run through the Base,Build,Specialty Half distance plan twice? to equal 48 weeks?
Or fill in 12 weeks of Sweet Spot Base before starting the Half distance plan?

Thanks for your help! !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:
Ok
So your saying potentially run through the Base,Build,Specialty Half distance plan twice? to equal 48 weeks?
Or fill in 12 weeks of Sweet Spot Base before starting the Half distance plan?

Thanks for your help! !

Add 12 weeks of Sweet Spot before jumping into the Half Distance Plan.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Bryce,excuse me for being dense, but what would you suggest for the other 12 weeks?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:
Sorry Bryce,excuse me for being dense, but what would you suggest for the other 12 weeks?

Thanks

Hey mneils,

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear, typically we don't advise a full 52 weeks of structured training before an event because it can tend to lead to mental fatigue and loss of motivation, especially with an athlete new to structured training. With the additional 12 weeks, I would recommend doing some "off-the-bike" activities to make sure you are prepared for the real training season.

Maybe take some swimming lessons with an experienced coach to perfect his swimming form. Go on short runs, again focusing on form. Spend time in the gym building some functional strength, or doing yoga to increase flexibility, which will help prevent injury.

He can also do some long fun rides to get used to his equipment and maybe make some adjustments before the real training begins.

If he really wants to pack every week with structured training, then I would recommend:

(12 weeks)Sweet Spot Base
(8 Weeks) Sustained Power Build
(24 weeks) Base/Build/Specialty Half Distance

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it does!
Thanks! !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is a typical week breakdown for the mid-volume Sweet Spot base and Sustained power build? The website mentions ~6-7hrs a week but how many days a week are you riding? I assume it isn't 7 days a week so are there going to be recovery rides each week or is recovery just the days you don't ride? I'm starting to think through what I want to do over the winter months. I've never used a training plan before (or even done a structured workout before) so trying to get a good idea of what to expect and how to fit it all into my schedule. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet spot base mid volume is 5 days a week--Monday/Friday are days off so you have 3 days in a row (middle day is more recovery type ride) and then 2 days in a row. Sustained power build looks the same--of course with the newer features you can adjust days of the plan-for example if you would rather ride on Monday and Friday then just shift the week so that you ride those days and have two different days off.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad query [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Since the workouts have been difficult for you, you may want to retest your FTP using the Ramp Test before you proceed with your training.

I haven't been following this thread in a while (but I've been using TR since the Mac version first came out, though never any actual "plans" for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I've mostly been coached since then), but I have a question about the Ramp Test. My apologies if this has been covered and if so I'll submit to being pointed to that discussion, but if not, have you seen any problems with heavier folks and the Ramp Test?

By that I mean I'm 205 pounds. I've had an FTP around 300 in the past, but am currently not focused on cycling other than for fun. That said, I still do occasionally do TR workouts when I can't get outside easily. Anyway, my FTP was way down around 225 on a 20 minute test, and that felt "right" when doing TR workouts. That is to say the IF matched the perceived intensity.

Then I did a Ramp Test and got like 270 or something crazy. TR set my FTP and I left it there for like two workouts that nearly killed me before having to manually dial them back.

Is the ramp test not great for those of us who are heavier? Or am *I* an anomaly? FWIW, I was using the newest generation KICKR on that test, though my last 20 minute indoor test was probably on my first generation KICKR. After some initial teething pains with the current gen KICKR, it feels the same as the original did, though.

Curious of your thoughts here. I like the idea of the shorter time period Ramp Test (I mean I'm like most, I hate 20 minute FTP tests), but it just doesn't seem accurate for me.

--Donnie
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
what is a typical week breakdown for the mid-volume Sweet Spot base and Sustained power build? The website mentions ~6-7hrs a week but how many days a week are you riding? I assume it isn't 7 days a week so are there going to be recovery rides each week or is recovery just the days you don't ride? I'm starting to think through what I want to do over the winter months. I've never used a training plan before (or even done a structured workout before) so trying to get a good idea of what to expect and how to fit it all into my schedule. Thanks!

The mid-volume SSB and Sustained Power Build plans consist of 5 workouts per week, where one of the workouts is a short active recovery endurance ride.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad query [djb_rh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djb_rh wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

I haven't been following this thread in a while (but I've been using TR since the Mac version first came out, though never any actual "plans" for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I've mostly been coached since then), but I have a question about the Ramp Test. My apologies if this has been covered and if so I'll submit to being pointed to that discussion, but if not, have you seen any problems with heavier folks and the Ramp Test?

By that I mean I'm 205 pounds. I've had an FTP around 300 in the past, but am currently not focused on cycling other than for fun. That said, I still do occasionally do TR workouts when I can't get outside easily. Anyway, my FTP was way down around 225 on a 20 minute test, and that felt "right" when doing TR workouts. That is to say the IF matched the perceived intensity.

Then I did a Ramp Test and got like 270 or something crazy. TR set my FTP and I left it there for like two workouts that nearly killed me before having to manually dial them back.

Is the ramp test not great for those of us who are heavier? Or am *I* an anomaly? FWIW, I was using the newest generation KICKR on that test, though my last 20 minute indoor test was probably on my first generation KICKR. After some initial teething pains with the current gen KICKR, it feels the same as the original did, though.

Curious of your thoughts here. I like the idea of the shorter time period Ramp Test (I mean I'm like most, I hate 20 minute FTP tests), but it just doesn't seem accurate for me.

--Donnie

We have not noticed an issue with heavier athletes specifically, but there are certainly people that fall outside the norm, leading to inflated FTP values. For example, if VO2 max is your strength, and sustained power is your weakness, then the Ramp Test can give you an inflated value compared to a 20 minute test.

If you'd like to use the Ramp Test in the future, you can use a reduction factor that feels right so that you can continue to track your progress. Lets say the Ramp Test gives you a value of 270 watts, but you feel that 240 is more accurate. Take 240/270 and you get a 0.89 multiplication factor.

This means that in the future, you can do the Ramp Test to compare to your previous tests, but then you will multiply your result by 0.89 to "correct" it to where your FTP should be.

I hope that makes sense :) Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Are there any plans to expand the training plans available to multi-sport users?

You may be aware of the chatter on this forum that the intensity of the existing Trainer Road plans is too much for some multi-sport users seeking a more balanced training load. Just wondering whether we can expect any evolution of the platform in response to that feedback.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Are there any plans to expand the training plans available to multi-sport users?

You may be aware of the chatter on this forum that the intensity of the existing Trainer Road plans is too much for some multi-sport users seeking a more balanced training load. Just wondering whether we can expect any evolution of the platform in response to that feedback.

Scott

We've definitely been reading the chatter on the forums and we really appreciate the great feedback we get from our users. Currently, we are working to re-build the mobile applications, and perfect the cycling portion of of our offering before we durect some of our energy to triathlon. The reason behind this is that these foundational improvements that we are making will translate very well to triathlon when the time comes, and the proper infrastructure will be there.

In the future, we do hope to make some specific improvements for multi-sport athletes such as the ability to import your run and swim data. It is possible that we take a look at our training plans as well, and make revisions according to our completion data and success rate, but that is not directly on the roadmap at this time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense; thanks for all you do to produce such a great service!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:

Scott

how did you get anything positive out of his response?

he basically said "we're not looking at it, we're too busy trying to be TrainingPeaks or Strava Summit. to keep you from bugging us though I'll tell you that maybe one day in the future we'll look at those plans even though we sent out an email months ago about how machine learning was going to really help us improve our training plans. but please don't hold your breath, it's not on our todo list."
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Responsiveness and transparency.

The platform isn’t perfect, but there is a lot that works for me.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
GreatScott wrote:

Scott

how did you get anything positive out of his response?

he basically said "we're not looking at it, we're too busy trying to be TrainingPeaks or Strava Summit. to keep you from bugging us though I'll tell you that maybe one day in the future we'll look at those plans even though we sent out an email months ago about how machine learning was going to really help us improve our training plans. but please don't hold your breath, it's not on our todo list."

It's true that machine learning is the direction we are moving, and we are, and have been, collecting and analyzing back-end data from our plans. We have already used this data to update a few of our other plans in an attempt to improve completion rates. While machine learning is the end goal, there are steps that we can take along the way that will improve the experience in the meantime.

We have not applied this process to the triathlon plans quite yet, however, revamping and improving things on the triathlon end is something that we would like to do in the future.

We have been focused on
  • New Desktop Apps with Calendar Functionality
  • New Mobile Apps with Calendar Functionality
  • Outside workouts with the ability to push workouts to your head units

These may seem simple but from an engineering standpoint, but they are highly intensive and require a lot of concentrated development energy.

These features will be a huge asset for all of our multisport athletes when the time comes, and perfecting our core offering is essential before we begin development on the multi-sport side. If we push into other realms too fast, we end up with a mediocre offering for all of our users, and it will require much more work in the long run.

I truly am sorry that we can't deliver all of the multi-sport features as fast as we'd like to. To imporve in this area, we are in the process of hiring another Product Manager, as well as multiple software engineers, which will allow us to reach our goals and build features more quickly.

We appreciate your patience.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand you're trying to improve the overall platform, but it's becoming more and more obvious to the community that your multisport plans are simply untenable. Besides hiring more software folks, have you considered adding triathlon, running, and swimming coaches to help you develop the plans? No offense to Chad, but most of the non-cycling workouts look like they were written by a cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
I understand you're trying to improve the overall platform, but it's becoming more and more obvious to the community that your multisport plans are simply untenable. Besides hiring more software folks, have you considered adding triathlon, running, and swimming coaches to help you develop the plans? No offense to Chad, but most of the non-cycling workouts look like they were written by a cyclist.

I'd expand on this to say I wish TR embraced running within the platform. Between the handful of controllable treadmills and the fact that we can now send guided workouts to wearable devices, it seems like a natural extension.

On top of that, I'd personally like to see a little more energy put into Workout Creator to make it a tad easier and faster to use. It's clunky at best, and for those of us who are coached or who were coached long enough that we'd rather do our own thing rather than TR's plans, it's a very nice feature. It's just in need of improvement.

--Donnie
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [djb_rh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djb_rh wrote:
I'd expand on this to say I wish TR embraced running within the platform. Between the handful of controllable treadmills and the fact that we can now send guided workouts to wearable devices, it seems like a natural extension.

On top of that, I'd personally like to see a little more energy put into Workout Creator to make it a tad easier and faster to use. It's clunky at best, and for those of us who are coached or who were coached long enough that we'd rather do our own thing rather than TR's plans, it's a very nice feature. It's just in need of improvement.

--Donnie

An improved Workout Creator is something that's on our radar, and is squarely on our Development Roadmap :)

As for enhanced running support, this is very interesting to us as well, however, it is not something that we can dedicate resources to anytime soon.

Last edited by: Bryce Lewis TR: Sep 8, 19 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
djb_rh wrote:

--Donnie

An improved Workout Creator is something that's on our radar, and is squarely on our Development Roadmap :)

Probably way too many workouts as it is on TR.

So many duplicate workouts that will make no difference to the adaptations.

Would be nice for it to be simplified TBH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have respect for companies that clearly outline their roadmap and place their big rocks first.

I’ll wait for the multisport improvements I’m sure they’ll be great when the time comes.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this question has been asked or not. How do I sync my TR training plan with my trainingpeaks calendar? My rides sync up, I'm just not sure how to send the TR training plan calendar to Trainingpeaks. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
Not sure if this question has been asked or not. How do I sync my TR training plan with my trainingpeaks calendar? My rides sync up, I'm just not sure how to send the TR training plan calendar to Trainingpeaks. Thanks!

We do not support the abilty to export your training plan to TrainingPeaks unforuntately.

At the moment, we support Calendar export to iCal, Google Calendar, and Outlook. You can learn about the process here in this Help Center article: https://support.trainerroad.com/...9251-Calendar-Export

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time TR user but planning to move to a smart trainer soon - I bought a CycleOps Hammer a bunch of months ago but just haven't got around to setting it up yet. So question on basic functionality - In order to have TR automatically adjust the resistance to match the workout I'm doing I assume I need to use the Hammer as my power source as opposed to my Quarq? Is it a simple toggle in the settings if I have multiple active power sources paired? Then I'd still record the data from Quarq to my Garmin? And can TR take the power data stream from the Hammer but cadence from the Quarq?

Another question - I sometimes adjust the workout I'm doing on the fly depending on how I feel. So If I might have some long steady intervals I might actually ride them as a progression. How would that work with the Hammer since it is trying to match the workout in TR if I want to go "off script"? I guess I'm asking if I can use the Hammer in "dumb trainer" mode and dictate for myself how much power I push?
Quote Reply

Prev Next