Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Bryce, is there a way of extending warmups and cooldowns on the windows app? Recently started using it (coming from Android app) and can't find the same feature which I almost always used.

Hey Thorax,

The ability to extend warmup/cooldown is not availiable in the Mac or Windows app quite yet, but it is planned feature for our Development Team to begin working on in the future.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Is there any way for the smartphone app to act as a remote for the desktop app? Specifically, I want to be able to start a spin down calibration on my phone while having the desktop on my bigscreen. I don't want to have to get off my bike, go to my computer, click on the calibration button then run back to my bike and start pedalling.

Unfortunately, we do not have the ability for TrainerRoad applications inter-communicate in that way. Due to the way our Software is structured, this would be extremely difficult to execute and it would add considerable complexity to the program, so sadly, this is not a feature that we plan to add in the future.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok if thats the case, its it possible to put a calibrate button right on the workout screen, rather than having to navigate to the devices page, selecting my trainer, then clicking calibrate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Hey Thorax,

The ability to extend warmup/cooldown is not availiable in the Mac or Windows app quite yet, but it is planned feature for our Development Team to begin working on in the future.

Cheers!
Thanks, hope it happens soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Ok if thats the case, its it possible to put a calibrate button right on the workout screen, rather than having to navigate to the devices page, selecting my trainer, then clicking calibrate?

That is something that we are definitely looking into :) Adding easier calibration is on our Development Roadmap, but we have no ETA for this feature quite yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce

I'm about halfway through the Full Distance triathlon base, with my first 140.6 on 28th July next year. Given how much time I have got, I am thinking of this order of programmes:

1. Full distance base
2. Sustained power build - mid
3. Full distance build - mid
3. Full distance specialty - mid

This brings me to about 8 weeks before race day (possibly more like 6 accounting for xmas and holidays). Is there anything else you would suggest adding in, or repeating?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [robbieBDP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robbieBDP wrote:
Hi Bryce

I'm about halfway through the Full Distance triathlon base, with my first 140.6 on 28th July next year. Given how much time I have got, I am thinking of this order of programmes:

1. Full distance base
2. Sustained power build - mid
3. Full distance build - mid
3. Full distance specialty - mid

This brings me to about 8 weeks before race day (possibly more like 6 accounting for xmas and holidays). Is there anything else you would suggest adding in, or repeating?
Thanks

Hey Robbie!

Typically, we recommend the Build and Specialty Phases reaching completion on the "doorstep" of your A race. When adding additional training, we typically recommend adding additional Base to the front end of your training since it never hurts to have a super solid base.

One way that you do this is as follows:

Full Distance Base (Weeks 1-6)
Traditional Base (Weeks 1-4)------ Supplement your other two disciplines with the workouts from the Full Distance Base
Full Distance Base (Weeks 1-12)
Sustained Power Build(8 Weeks)
Full Distance Build
Full Distance Specialty
Race Day

I hope that helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I'm targeting a 70.3 on August 4th.

I took a 6 week break in may/june this year, then prepared for a 70.3 2 weeks ago, which went good. I'm returning to trainining this week, but I'll take a week off in just 14 days to travel with my wife. Then I will have 9 weeks until I take another break for 11 days to do a trekking trip with friends. After that, my plan is to go half distance high volume all the way. It will match perfectly with my schedulle.

My question is: during these 9 weeks I was planning to do the traditional base. I'm thinking doing weeks 1-2 starting tomorrow, then I'll take a week off (I'll be running and open water swimming). When I got back, I'll do a mix of weeks 2 and 3 (in a week) then start Traditional Base Mid Volume II followed by III (weeks 5 to 12). This matches with my schedule.

What's your thought on this? Traditional base is the way to go before the half distance high volume? How I fit the plan with my available time?

Thx in advance
Last edited by: binhopires: Nov 4, 18 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am starting to use TrainerRoad again. I did the ramp test for the first time and got my FTP.

I've done my first few Sweet Spot Base Mid I sessions and they are fine, but not really tough, I wonder if I should increase to 102% or so to make it tougher, or should I just wait until my 6 weeks are up and test again?

I am planning to do Sweet Spot Mid I, then II followed by Sprint Tri High Volume Base, Build then Speciality which will get me to the first race of 4 in 6 weeks next May/June. The high volume sprint triathlon plan doesn't seem very high volume to me at 4.5 hours a week. I want to be competitive in the league here, so want to be pretty close to 1h for a flat sprint tri, is the plan meant for that kind of level, or should I add in more outdoor rides to get the volume up?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

loving the new calendar features!

Question in regards of proper season approach, goal being my first 70.3 in June. Second season ever after first season doing whatever was fun and raising ftp by ~25% in the process.

Going low volume on all plans but usually able to squeeze in an additional workout on the weekends (3-4h endurance ride or whatever appeals me on the day)

- started Oct. 29 half distance base low volume 8w
- start Dec. 24 half distance base low volume 8w again <= not 100% sure on this, going double build maybe better? Or some other switchup?
- start Feb 18. half distance build low volume 8w with first B race/form check on the last day
- start Apr. 15 half distance spec low volume shortened to 7w with A race on the last day
- do whatever is fun afterwards until Sep/Oct :)

Some quick feedback to my planning would be great

Have a good start into the week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mis-spoke - yes, Y-axis. I guess I just don't see the point in all of that dead space for the majority of workouts that don't include sprints. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'll make a feature request in the forum and see if it picks up any momentum.

Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

I think I understand what you mean, you want to change the vertical Y axis range from 0-200 to 0-120 for certain workouts. The horizontal X axis is related to time and would remain the same.

The sad reality is that there are a lot of things we could do, and we need to focus our relatively small design and development team on projects that will have a major impact on the way users interact with and utilize our software.

I hope that makes sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I'm targeting a 70.3 on August 4th.

I took a 6 week break in may/june this year, then prepared for a 70.3 2 weeks ago, which went good. I'm returning to trainining this week, but I'll take a week off in just 14 days to travel with my wife. Then I will have 9 weeks until I take another break for 11 days to do a trekking trip with friends. After that, my plan is to go half distance high volume all the way. It will match perfectly with my schedulle.

My question is: during these 9 weeks I was planning to do the traditional base. I'm thinking doing weeks 1-2 starting tomorrow, then I'll take a week off (I'll be running and open water swimming). When I got back, I'll do a mix of weeks 2 and 3 (in a week) then start Traditional Base Mid Volume II followed by III (weeks 5 to 12). This matches with my schedule.

What's your thought on this? Traditional base is the way to go before the half distance high volume? How I fit the plan with my available time?

Thx in advance

This sounds like a great plan and is exactly what I would recommend! Traditional Base is a great plan to complete before jumping into the full Triathlon Training Progression. As for how you are breaking it up, it seems perfectly reasonable considering your somewhat abnormal and interrupted schedule.

Happy training!!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
I am starting to use TrainerRoad again. I did the ramp test for the first time and got my FTP.

I've done my first few Sweet Spot Base Mid I sessions and they are fine, but not really tough, I wonder if I should increase to 102% or so to make it tougher, or should I just wait until my 6 weeks are up and test again?

I am planning to do Sweet Spot Mid I, then II followed by Sprint Tri High Volume Base, Build then Speciality which will get me to the first race of 4 in 6 weeks next May/June. The high volume sprint triathlon plan doesn't seem very high volume to me at 4.5 hours a week. I want to be competitive in the league here, so want to be pretty close to 1h for a flat sprint tri, is the plan meant for that kind of level, or should I add in more outdoor rides to get the volume up?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Richard,

The first thing to keep in mind is that the workouts during Sweet Spot Base I should not be hard. They may challenge you, but you should not be feeling like you were just barely able to finish them.

That being said, if you aren't feeling challenged at all, then bumping up your FTP by 2% at a time is a perfect way to fine-tune your ideal training FTP.

As for your concerns about overall volume, due to the short duration of your event, you don't really need to log a ton of volume to get you properly fit. The workouts will be high intensity, and relatively short in duration which will be very effective in preparing you for your event. All of our High Volume Plans are designed for the elite level athlete in mind, so you should not need to add supplemental workouts. That being said, if you find the overall training load to be too easy, you are more than welcome to add additional riding to boost your total TSS.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BummTschack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BummTschack wrote:
Hey Bryce,

loving the new calendar features!

Question in regards of proper season approach, goal being my first 70.3 in June. Second season ever after first season doing whatever was fun and raising ftp by ~25% in the process.

Going low volume on all plans but usually able to squeeze in an additional workout on the weekends (3-4h endurance ride or whatever appeals me on the day)

- started Oct. 29 half distance base low volume 8w
- start Dec. 24 half distance base low volume 8w again <= not 100% sure on this, going double build maybe better? Or some other switchup?
- start Feb 18. half distance build low volume 8w with first B race/form check on the last day
- start Apr. 15 half distance spec low volume shortened to 7w with A race on the last day
- do whatever is fun afterwards until Sep/Oct :)

Some quick feedback to my planning would be great

Have a good start into the week!

Your plan looks great! We always recommend doubling up on Base if you're going to do a plan twice, since having a powerful, solid base makes all the rest so much easier. The only change I might apply would be trimming a week out of the second base phase (Week 7) to allow you to complete the full 8 weeks of Specialty. This will ensure that you get a complete taper and that you're primed and ready to race.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

Due to some chronic health issues, coupled with fit issues, followed by a new fit and some pedaling mechanical fixes, my power (per two separate ramp tests) plummeted to the lowest is has ever been - sub off the couch levels. While working out the fit and getting healthy (fingers crossed), I have been completing SSB 1 Mid Volume and am currently on the last week. I would assume I will have a somewhat substantial jump in FTP in large part due to health and fit and in small part due to the riding.

My thought as of now is to actually jump back and start SSB 1 over again since I would assume my FTP is at a more reasonable level now. I just don't know that the adaptation anticipated by SSB 1 will have occurred since I was at a ridiculously low FTP throughout (even though for the first few weeks it felt very hard). Riding the last two weeks my HR has stayed in zone 2 for most, if not all, of the intervals. Anything wrong with this idea?

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Nov 5, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Bryce,

Due to some chronic health issues, coupled with fit issues, followed by a new fit and some pedaling mechanical fixes, my power (per two separate ramp tests) plummeted to the lowest is has ever been - sub off the couch levels. While working out the fit and getting healthy (fingers crossed), I have been completing SSB 1 Mid Volume and am currently on the last week. I would assume I will have a somewhat substantial jump in FTP in large part due to health and fit and in small part due to the riding.

My thought as of now is to actually jump back and start SSB 1 over again since I would assume my FTP is at a more reasonable level now. I just don't know that the adaptation anticipated by SSB 1 will have occurred since I was at a ridiculously low FTP throughout (even though for the first few weeks it felt very hard). Riding the last two weeks my HR has stayed in zone 2 for most, if not all, of the intervals. Anything wrong with this idea?

If you don't have any time restraints, then this is a totally reasonable approach! A Ramp Test will quickly sort out how much you have progressed, and then you can return to SSB 1 at an effort level that will push you a little harder than the first time around.

Good luck and get well soon!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm starting my winter training and was wondering which plans you suggest me to use to become a better cyclist overall.

My main goal will be an iron distance but I will be racing quite a few other shorter races I wish to be competitive in.

Last year I did the ironman distance low volume plans which worked out pretty fine
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Triingfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingfrog wrote:
Hi,

I'm starting my winter training and was wondering which plans you suggest me to use to become a better cyclist overall.

My main goal will be an iron distance but I will be racing quite a few other shorter races I wish to be competitive in.

Last year I did the ironman distance low volume plans which worked out pretty fine

Hey there!

If your primary goal is an Ironman distance, I would recommend sticking with the Full Distance Triathlon Plans. You will still be plenty strong for the shorter races (high FTP), you just won't be "optimized." You can still be very competitive in these "B" races, while still keeping your eye on the prize.

If you have the time in your schedule, you also could squeeze in a General Build Plan before embarking on the Full Distance Triathlon Plan to give yourself a little more variety and "punch" for shorter races.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

New to Trainerroad and training with power in general. Recently purchased a PM (thanks ST classifieds) and signed up for TR.

Decided to start with the sweet spot base and was stuck between choosing low and mid volume but ultimately went with low and figured I could add an extra ride during the week instead of choosing mid and skipping one ride per week. My main question is what type/length of workout would you suggest to add to the low volume plan each week? Or should I have picked the mid volume instead?

Due to my schedule I’m only able to ride on select days, but on those days I can usually ride as long as I want so I wasn’t sure if the low volume plan was sufficient. I’m not really training for anything specific at the moment, maybe a couple of OD races next year. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ballisticpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ballisticpb wrote:
Hi Bryce,

New to Trainerroad and training with power in general. Recently purchased a PM (thanks ST classifieds) and signed up for TR.

Decided to start with the sweet spot base and was stuck between choosing low and mid volume but ultimately went with low and figured I could add an extra ride during the week instead of choosing mid and skipping one ride per week. My main question is what type/length of workout would you suggest to add to the low volume plan each week? Or should I have picked the mid volume instead?

Due to my schedule I’m only able to ride on select days, but on those days I can usually ride as long as I want so I wasn’t sure if the low volume plan was sufficient. I’m not really training for anything specific at the moment, maybe a couple of OD races next year. Thanks in advance!

If you have the time and desire to add more structured workouts to your weekly routine, I would recommend looking over the Mid-Volume plan for inspiration. By grabbing workouts from that plan, you can ensure that you're doing workouts that fit well with your current plan. If you think you can manage the Mid-Volume Plan from both a training and recovery standpoint, then you could also consider switching to the Mid-Volume Plan if you wish.

Another option is to add some endurance paced riding to the Low Volume Plan. This works really well if you have good weather in your area and can go for a long, leisurely outdoor ride to boost your TSS for the week and also let you enjoy the outdoors. We call this TSS filler since you can add a lot of it before having to worry about overtraining due to its low intensity profile. In other words, it adds volume without adding too much stress.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

As for time constraints and planning, the A race for next year is likely not until a half on Sept 21. In the interim I will be racing random sprints/oly's/gravel races, etc. but not really building or even planning for them at this juncture. I really want to get my FTP up. If I run a full program through 40KTT that leaves me with an odd amount of time to start back and build for the race. On the flip side, I could always start something now and at 7 months out from race day start back over at the beginning to build for the half.

Any tips or ideas on how to best approach such a far away target? I understand all that can and will go wrong between now and then, but it's nice to have general path/plan laid out.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is a good plan for a mix of time trial races next year some short ones between 17k en 40k and one long one 135k the 135 is at the end of summer next year.

i can ride 3-4 times a week

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
what is a good plan for a mix of time trial races next year some short ones between 17k en 40k and one long one 135k the 135 is at the end of summer next year.

i can ride 3-4 times a week

Hey there!

For most all TT distances, we recommend the following progression:

Sweet Spot Base
Sustained Power Build
40K TT

You will then vary your Target Power for the different durations to maximize your performance in each race.

As for volume, take a look a the Mid-Volume and Low-Volume plans and see which one works best for your schedule :)

I hope this helps!

Last edited by: Bryce Lewis TR: Nov 11, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Thanks.

As for time constraints and planning, the A race for next year is likely not until a half on Sept 21. In the interim I will be racing random sprints/oly's/gravel races, etc. but not really building or even planning for them at this juncture. I really want to get my FTP up. If I run a full program through 40KTT that leaves me with an odd amount of time to start back and build for the race. On the flip side, I could always start something now and at 7 months out from race day start back over at the beginning to build for the half.

Any tips or ideas on how to best approach such a far away target? I understand all that can and will go wrong between now and then, but it's nice to have general path/plan laid out.

Hey Flynnzu!

You have 44 weeks until your Proposed Half Ironman, so this is the route that I would recommend:

Sweet Spot Base (12 Weeks)
Sustained Power Build (8 Weeks)

Half Distance Base (8 Weeks)
Half Distance Build (8 Weeks)
Half Distance Specialty (8 Weeks)

Ultimately, your schedule works out very, very nicely :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce!

Just subscribed to TR to use for my lead up to IM Texas April 27th. Wondering if you could provide me some direction on where to start. Also, are there workouts to cover the dreaded 5 hour trainer rides? Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next