Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I am currently in week five of Sweet Spot Base - Mid Volume I, and have followed the plan with pretty good accuracy. I know I have gotten stronger and I am excited to test my fitness, and the weather is still decent, so during the final week of endurance riding, I want to pick a day and go after a timed climb. Couple questions:

1. How much does this mess up how I go into Mid Volume II the following week?
2. What would be the BEST day to do this?

Thank you!
Brando
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce and the TR team, and thanks for your willingness to come here and answer questions. I've been using the TR low volume Ironman training plans for over two years now, and am starting to think about planning out my training for the 2019 season. I'm planning to do 2 HIM races in May and then 2 late season IMs (probably September and November) so am wondering how you would recommend structuring my training? Would it make sense for me to start with the Full Distance Triathlon Base for 12 weeks and then switch to Half Distance Triathlon Build and Half Distance Triathlon specialty going into the May HIMs and then after a week or two of recovery jump back to the Full Distance Triathlon Build? I have been focused almost exclusively on IM racing for over 15 years though am starting to want to move towards more of a HIM focus so would like to aim for HIM specific fitness for my May races but make sure I still have time to get ready for the late-season IM races. I likely will be sticking with the low volume plans.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrissie1993 wrote:
First a big thank you to the entire TR team. My HIM went from 2:45 to 2:28 in only 13 weeks.

Now I begin to plan my next season and during the winter I will focus more on the running part and I wont have too much time for the bike.

My plan is 10 weeks with 2 session per week. Afterwards I still have 24 weeks to my first HIM and I will follow the Base+Build+Specialty HIM plan (with the complete 3-4x/week).

My question is: Is there a plan where I can extract my 2 sessions per week?

Hey Chrissie!

If running is your focus during this 10 week span, a good way to maintain your fitness on the bike and pile on aerobic base is by using the Traditional Base Plan. This plan will be pretty low in intensity but will help you keep your legs spinning and allow you to have enough energy for your runs.

If you're looking for a plan with some tougher, higher intensity work, sampling two rides from Sweet Spot Base could work well for you. These workouts will be higher in TSS and will exact a higher physiological toll due to their intensity.

I hope this gives you some ideas moving forward! Let me know if you have any more questions for me.

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Good Morning,

I've been using TR for 2 1/2 as part of my duathlon/triathlon training. Multisport season is now effectively over in New England and I have taken up cyclocross. I have to admit, this type of riding is diametrically opposite to what I'm used to in du/tri. Are there any specific workouts that would help with the sudden accelerations we tend to have? If you have workouts that help riding through mud and sand or weaving through trees all while trying to stay upright, even better.

Thanks

Hey there!

For CX Racers, we recommend jumping into the Short Power Build Phase. This plan incorporates shorter burst, high intensity intervals that will help you to build the supra-threshold fitness you need to be successful in CX.

With respect to riding through mud, sand or trees, this is not something that can be learned on the trainer. You will find more watts on the trainer, which helps make everything a bit easier, however, the technical skills will be need to be learned through practice. I recommend heading our to your local park and practice riding through a variety of meandering features. Practice dismounts, off-camber riding, charging into sandy corners, running etc. The more you practice these activities, the more natural it will become. Eventually, the motions will become second nature, but only after consistent and intentional practice.

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming season! Let me know if you have any more questions for me!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does the companion app still exist? i cant find it to download again.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
chrissie1993 wrote:
First a big thank you to the entire TR team. My HIM went from 2:45 to 2:28 in only 13 weeks.

Now I begin to plan my next season and during the winter I will focus more on the running part and I wont have too much time for the bike.

My plan is 10 weeks with 2 session per week. Afterwards I still have 24 weeks to my first HIM and I will follow the Base+Build+Specialty HIM plan (with the complete 3-4x/week).

My question is: Is there a plan where I can extract my 2 sessions per week?

I have a question in a similar vein. Doing a heavier run focus over next few months, but want to maintain some bike sessions. I was thinking of just doing SS Base Low Volume I+II, but stretching the 3 sessions / week to be over 10 days instead (so like one bike session every 3rd day or so). But maybe there's a better approach?

This works well too! As far as scheduling is concerned, this can be a bit complicated though, and it may be easier to just select two of the three workouts per week in the Low Volume Plan to complete. The weekday rides are both a bit shorter and may be a good choice if you are trying to limit your bike TSS.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
Bryce,

I used TR this season for a full distance and am very happy with my results!

I am planning to do more 70.3's next year and not any fulls so I have a few questions for you.

I am going to attempt to participate in 3 x 70.3's and all are roughly 1 month apart from each other (the first being in May 31st and then June 30th and July 28th). I technically would like to do best at the July 28th (but I am not too concerned - this is more for fun) so would I set the plan up to be finished at that race or would I set the plan up to finish for the May 31st race and treat those races as a B and C race and maintenance in-between the months?

The rest of the year will just be trickled in xterras and other fun bike races.

The other question I have is do you have a general FTP pacing chart that is recommended to follow during the race? I am not sure if I missed this or not but during my Full I just took a stab at it and went with a 75% FTP effort.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hey there!

Congrats on completing your rIronman this year! I'm glad we could play a role in your success :)

A good way to go about racing three half-distance races spaced a month apart would be as follows:

Base Phase
Build Phase
Specialty Phase (Weeks 1-4)
May 31st Race
Specialty Phase (Weeks 5-8)
June 30th Race
Specialty Phase (Weeks 5-8)
July 28th Race

Best of luck with your upcoming season!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brando wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I am currently in week five of Sweet Spot Base - Mid Volume I, and have followed the plan with pretty good accuracy. I know I have gotten stronger and I am excited to test my fitness, and the weather is still decent, so during the final week of endurance riding, I want to pick a day and go after a timed climb. Couple questions:

1. How much does this mess up how I go into Mid Volume II the following week?
2. What would be the BEST day to do this?

Thank you!
Brando

Hey Brando!

The impact of this timed climb on your overall training will depend on the length of the climb and the TSS generated from the workout. If you are doing a 2 hour all out hill climb effort, then this could seriously derail your training for the plan to come. If it is a 20-30 minute effort, then you will still need to recover appropriately, but it will not effect your training long-term.

What you do need to consider is that the first workout of SSB II is another FTP test that will be used to determine your new FTP. This new score will be used to generate all of your workouts going forward, and it is a benchmark for your progress, so you do not wnt to go into this workout excessively fatigued. So as far as timing goes, I would actually recommend against doing your timed climb during your recovery week, and instead complete that workout at the end of SSB II Week 1. That way, you can have a good FTP test at the start of the week, and then at the end of the week you can complete your timed climb in place of your Saturday workout.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
Hi Bryce and the TR team, and thanks for your willingness to come here and answer questions. I've been using the TR low volume Ironman training plans for over two years now, and am starting to think about planning out my training for the 2019 season. I'm planning to do 2 HIM races in May and then 2 late season IMs (probably September and November) so am wondering how you would recommend structuring my training? Would it make sense for me to start with the Full Distance Triathlon Base for 12 weeks and then switch to Half Distance Triathlon Build and Half Distance Triathlon specialty going into the May HIMs and then after a week or two of recovery jump back to the Full Distance Triathlon Build? I have been focused almost exclusively on IM racing for over 15 years though am starting to want to move towards more of a HIM focus so would like to aim for HIM specific fitness for my May races but make sure I still have time to get ready for the late-season IM races. I likely will be sticking with the low volume plans.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Hey there!

What you are describing is a re-build where you specialize using one plan, and then re-start Build Phase in a different plan. This is exactly the course we would recommend here, and this is what that would look like over the course of your season:

(Mid October)
Full Distance Base (12 Weeks)
(Early January)
Half Distance Build (8 Weeks)
(Late February)
Half Distance Specialty (8 Weeks)
(Early May)
(First HIM Race)
Half Distance Specialty (Weeks 5-8) (just enough time to fill the gap until your next HIM race in May)
(Late May)
(Second HIM Race)
Full Distance Build (8 Weeks)
(Mid July)
Full Distance Specialty (8 Weeks)
(Early September)
(IM Race)
Full Distance Specialty Weeks (5-8) (enough time to take you to your next IM race in Spetember/November)

There's a lot there, but if you want to make planning your season a bit easier, head over to our Beta Group on Facebook. IN that group, you can get access to our new Calendar feature that will make planning out a long season like this a breeze :)

Cheers and good luck with your season!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

Thank you for the help and insight!

That makes perfect sense to me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Bryce. I appreciate your help and all of the detail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, firstly thank you. I'm a triathlete that is working on turning myself into a road racer after a career ending running injury. This past season I focused on some local time trials. I had a baby in February, and was biking 10-12 hours a week up until the day of. So when I jumped back in a week later I counted that as base training, and went right into the general build, and followed that with the 40k TT plan (both high volume). I PRed in our local 40k and 10 mile time trial so thank you for those plans.

My last TT was over two weeks ago, but I have a 40k rolling road race at the end of October. What I did was I counted back 5 weeks from the rolling road race high volume plan and plugged that in to try to extend my training until that point. In the 40k TT training plans, the harder workouts were hard but manageable. I was able to hold the 95-100% FTP for the longer intervals. Switching to the road race plan, I am struggling to hit the really high anaerobic efforts. For example, I did Guard +1 yesterday, and I could maintain the 107% FTP for the 4 min repeats no issue, but the sprints I couldn't hit the power it wanted me to at all. My latest FTP test shows my FTP didn't drop, and I've been chronically sleep deprived the whole time so it shouldn't be a stress or fatigue thing. I did learn pretty quickly that I have to do the more traditional 20 minute FTP test, the ramp test underestimates my power by about 20 watts. So could it be that I'm just not used to training the more fast twitch muscles? I have 15 years experience in tri's and longer endurance races so I haven't worked on my anaerobic power as much as I probably should have.
Last edited by: elrasc06: Sep 27, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [elrasc06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce I was going to contact support but thought others would benefit. Regarding the new Calendar feature, when I opened it, it did not prompt me to add my current training plan. If I manually add it do I have to delete all the workouts Ive already done and move the dates for those remaining?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you put the start date of the plan as when you actually started it rather than today, it shouldn't be a problem (that's what I did). There's a lot of discussion happening re specific features on the TR forum so you may find that helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply and suggestions on how to do this, I may give this a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Hi Bryce I was going to contact support but thought others would benefit. Regarding the new Calendar feature, when I opened it, it did not prompt me to add my current training plan. If I manually add it do I have to delete all the workouts Ive already done and move the dates for those remaining?

This was an issue upon the initial launch, but we came out with a hot fix to resolve this common problem.

You should now be able to open the Calendar in your browser and see a banner that allows you to add your Current Plan :)

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [elrasc06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elrasc06 wrote:
Hi Bryce, firstly thank you. I'm a triathlete that is working on turning myself into a road racer after a career ending running injury. This past season I focused on some local time trials. I had a baby in February, and was biking 10-12 hours a week up until the day of. So when I jumped back in a week later I counted that as base training, and went right into the general build, and followed that with the 40k TT plan (both high volume). I PRed in our local 40k and 10 mile time trial so thank you for those plans.

My last TT was over two weeks ago, but I have a 40k rolling road race at the end of October. What I did was I counted back 5 weeks from the rolling road race high volume plan and plugged that in to try to extend my training until that point. In the 40k TT training plans, the harder workouts were hard but manageable. I was able to hold the 95-100% FTP for the longer intervals. Switching to the road race plan, I am struggling to hit the really high anaerobic efforts. For example, I did Guard +1 yesterday, and I could maintain the 107% FTP for the 4 min repeats no issue, but the sprints I couldn't hit the power it wanted me to at all. My latest FTP test shows my FTP didn't drop, and I've been chronically sleep deprived the whole time so it shouldn't be a stress or fatigue thing. I did learn pretty quickly that I have to do the more traditional 20 minute FTP test, the ramp test underestimates my power by about 20 watts. So could it be that I'm just not used to training the more fast twitch muscles? I have 15 years experience in tri's and longer endurance races so I haven't worked on my anaerobic power as much as I probably should have.

Hey there!

First of all, congrats on your PRs! That's so great to hear!

Regarding your difficulty with anaerobic efforts in the Rolling Road Race Plan, there is one main reason for this: the Specialty Phase is designed to be completed after an appropriate Build Phase. Since you have presumably been on a Sustained Power Track when preparing for your TT's, you likely have minimal experience with these anaerobic efforts. At the midway point of the Specialty Road Race Plan, we assume that you have done all of the anaerobic work from General Build and we adjust the difficulty accodingly.

A better approach to prepare you for your upcoming road race would actually be starting at the beginning of General Build. You have 5 total weeks, so ideally your training would look like this:

General Build (Weeks 1-4)
Rolling Road Race (Week 8) (This will be your taper week)

I hope that clears things up, let me know if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:

This was an issue upon the initial launch, but we came out with a hot fix to resolve this common problem.

You should now be able to open the Calendar in your browser and see a banner that allows you to add your Current Plan :)

Cheers!

Confirmed! I did this today, was a bit peeved my current plan disappeared. Took a bit to figure it out, but it works.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:

Cheers!

Yup all set, a bit of a false start but you guys recovered quickly. All good :)

While I "have you" I did my first 10s strength Sprints. Obviously there's no way to get from a standstill to 180% FTP immediately so is the "goal" to get over the 180% target by the end of the interval averages out? In other words if it takes 3 seconds or so you need to be at like says 230% of whatever by the end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, I’m hoping you can clarify the calendar function and intent. I don’t understand the tri aspect of this calendar. What’s the point of listing swim or run workouts with approximate tss values if you don’t import the workouts? Also what good is an approximate tss value if it’s not based on anything? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, I am starting to plan next season and am thinking about the ITU Long Distance WC in Spain at the beginning of May. The distances are 4K/120K/30K so do you think I should base my training on an Ironman plan or a Half Ironman plan? And based on your answer, any advice on how to adjust that plan? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:

Cheers!

Confirmed! I did this today, was a bit peeved my current plan disappeared. Took a bit to figure it out, but it works.

How did u do this? I just logged in and my plan has disappeared and I have nfi where I was up to. Not very happy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

is there a way to remove the swim/run workouts from the calendar without going through and deleting them individually? before the calendar, it never bothered me as they never showed up. I find it a bit annoying now that when i look at the workout plan it seems littered with workouts/info i don't want to see. First world problems i know, but i am using TR strictly for the bike. I am sure there are lots of people who follow the triathlon plans fully, but id also guess there is a pretty large percentage that are using them for bike only!

thanks

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:

Cheers!

How did u do this? I just logged in and my plan has disappeared and I have nfi where I was up to. Not very happy!!!

I use the TrinerRoad app for Windows, from there I selected the same training plan I was already using, The app opened the TrainerRoad website calendars, in the upper right hand corner was a green button "+Add Plan", I hit that and the plan populated into the calendar including the workouts I've already done. It took some time (5 minutes maybe?) for everything to sync between the Windows App and website calendar.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DimaP wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
DimaP wrote:

Cheers!

Yup all set, a bit of a false start but you guys recovered quickly. All good :)

While I "have you" I did my first 10s strength Sprints. Obviously there's no way to get from a standstill to 180% FTP immediately so is the "goal" to get over the 180% target by the end of the interval averages out? In other words if it takes 3 seconds or so you need to be at like says 230% of whatever by the end?

Hey there!

The goal of thesestrength sprints is to be as close to 180% as you can for the entire duration of the interval. Despite the fact that there is a bit of lag in the power meter reading, you should aim for a conssitent power output. This will become easier and easier with experience.

In other words, you don't want to go hard at the beginning to bring your power up faster. You also want to avoid riding above target towards the end to "drag" up your overall average. Instead, aim for a constant and steady pace, even if your average for the interval appears low. In the end, you know that you put in the work :)

Another thing that can help in this situation is disabling power smoothing for sprint interval days to allow your power to be more responsive to input.

Cheers!

Quote Reply

Prev Next