Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
I had a question. I was thinking of starting a half distance mid volume plan, having successfully done the full distance mid volume plan last year, and done sweet spot base and build plans the last few months. Yesterday at lunch I checked the half distance mid volume plan at my laptop at work, logged in to my account and saw that the first ride was a 25 min ramp test. This was perfect as I didn't have much time after time, but I could fit that test in. Coming home I fired up the app on my ipad, selected the plan, but no ramp test. I went to search for the ramp test but couldn't find it. Ended up doing a 30 min Gilbert -2 workout. Both at work as in the app I was logged into the same account, not sure when I last updated the app on my ipad though. Could that be the cause of the missing ramp test?

It sounds like you're on an older version of TrainerRoad. An update of the app should resolve your issue :)

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rossi46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rossi46 wrote:
Hi Bryce,

No questions, just want to say thanks to you and the team for the program. I completed sweet spot base phase I and increased my FTP by 28 watts in seven weeks :)

Granted, I'm what you'd call an untrained rider and still experiencing the killer newbie gains. But the ease in which I just adjust my calendar and then do the plan is just so great. Looking forward to phase II and then onto build!

So stoked to hear you're liking the training so far! Congrats on the gains and keep up the great work :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
It should drop into Standard Mode during the 20 and 8 Minute tests if paired via Bluetooth. If paired via ANT+, it should drop into Resistance Mode.

The best way to determine the correct level of Resistance is to test them out yourself. Like I mentioned, 30 is a good place to start for Resistance Mode, and 3 is a good place to start for Standard Mode. Once you find a good level, exit the workout and ensure that that value is set in the TrainerRoad settings. Then, when the test interval starts, it will drop into that level when it's time to crank up the heat :)

PERFECT, exactly what I was looking for!! Iā€™m paired ANT+ so I get both side pedal readings so in my case Iā€™m dropping into ā€œresistanceā€ mode. And that currently is all the way to the left, meaning none. I will move the slider to 30 as suggested and give it a go.

I can leave ā€œstandardā€ at 3 since it doesnā€™t go in that mode.

Thanks again, awesome program, even better support!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
TriStart wrote:
I had a question. I was thinking of starting a half distance mid volume plan, having successfully done the full distance mid volume plan last year, and done sweet spot base and build plans the last few months. Yesterday at lunch I checked the half distance mid volume plan at my laptop at work, logged in to my account and saw that the first ride was a 25 min ramp test. This was perfect as I didn't have much time after time, but I could fit that test in. Coming home I fired up the app on my ipad, selected the plan, but no ramp test. I went to search for the ramp test but couldn't find it. Ended up doing a 30 min Gilbert -2 workout. Both at work as in the app I was logged into the same account, not sure when I last updated the app on my ipad though. Could that be the cause of the missing ramp test?

It sounds like you're on an older version of TrainerRoad. An update of the app should resolve your issue :)

Thanks! Love TR, really improved my cycling last year, hoping to add a little again this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce, sorry have been away a bit lately and never got to thank you for this advice!
Hope 2019 has started well for you.
Cheers and all the best!

Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
pbnz wrote:
Hi Bryce, thanks again for all your advice on this forum and for the great software and integration. TR has revolutionised by riding over this last 18 months.
Question for you: I am in season planning mode now. Almost 11 months out from my main A race for the season which will be my first IM. Goals are not overly lofty but aiming for a bike split of 5 or so hours (PB in a 70.3 is 2:22). I will obviously have some B and C races between now and then, but I really want to give this IM my best shot.
Given the time to the race, what would you recommend from a plan point of view between now and starting the build and specialty portions of the mid volume full distance plan? My thoughts were to do the mid volume base (12 weeks), build (8 weeks), base (12 weeks) and then into the build and specialty phases leading into the event. Base fitness for the bike is very reasonable at the moment.

Hey pbnz!

First of all, props for planning ahead ;) You have plenty of time to prepare.

Your suggestion is a great option, and would serve you very well, however, in order to get a bit more variety I would recommend a slightly different variation. I would recommend:

Traditional or Sweet Spot Base (with the runs and swims from Full Distance Base) (12 Weeks)
Sustained Power Build (again, with the runs and swims from Full Distance Build) (8 Weeks)

Then jump inito the standard IM progression:
IM Base (12 Weeks)
IM Build (8 Weeks)
IM Specailty (8 Weeks)

If my calculations are correct, this should deliver you right on the doorstep of your A race for the year :)

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce,

See if you can help me.
I'm finishing Traditional Base Mid Volume next week. Then I'll take a 10-11 day break to do a trekking trip.
When I got back home, I'll have two weeks before I start the Half Distance High Volume Base, Build and Spec.

What should I do in this two weeks prior in order to get the engine running again and get ready for what is coming?

Thxx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

IĀ“m looking at planning my upcoming season in Trainerroad and thought IĀ“d ask your expert advice to be sure IĀ“m doing thing right. Up to now not much planned yet, but my two main events are scheduled.

OD on June 2nd, week 22 (B-Race)
OD on June 16th, week 24 (A-Race)
70.3 on September 14th, week 37 (A-Race)

My thougths were to focus on the 70.3 with the following, ending in week 37.
- Low volume base 70.3 (8wk)
- Low volume build 70.3 (8wk)
- Low volume specialty 70.3 (8wk)

In this case I'll be doing both OD's in the beginning of the 70.3 Build plan, week 1 and week 3. So I'm thinking there might be a better way to get there besides the 70.3 Base?
And, what are the best plans to fill up the time from now on?

Thanks for the help!

Blog | Instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:
Bryce,

See if you can help me.
I'm finishing Traditional Base Mid Volume next week. Then I'll take a 10-11 day break to do a trekking trip.
When I got back home, I'll have two weeks before I start the Half Distance High Volume Base, Build and Spec.

What should I do in this two weeks prior in order to get the engine running again and get ready for what is coming?

Thxx

Hey there!

With a two week gap, it can be a little tough since you don't want to be carrying too much fatigue into the start of your Base/Build/Specialty progression. For that reason, I would recommend taking it easy on the weekend before jumping into the Tri Plans. Here is what I would do.

Week 1: SSB II Week 1
Week 2: SSB II Week 2 Tuesday-Thursday , SSB II Week 6 Saturday-Sunday

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mlagerwerf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlagerwerf wrote:
Hi Bryce,

IĀ“m looking at planning my upcoming season in Trainerroad and thought IĀ“d ask your expert advice to be sure IĀ“m doing thing right. Up to now not much planned yet, but my two main events are scheduled.

OD on June 2nd, week 22 (B-Race)
OD on June 16th, week 24 (A-Race)
70.3 on September 14th, week 37 (A-Race)

My thougths were to focus on the 70.3 with the following, ending in week 37.
- Low volume base 70.3 (8wk)
- Low volume build 70.3 (8wk)
- Low volume specialty 70.3 (8wk)

In this case I'll be doing both OD's in the beginning of the 70.3 Build plan, week 1 and week 3. So I'm thinking there might be a better way to get there besides the 70.3 Base?
And, what are the best plans to fill up the time from now on?

Thanks for the help!

Hey there!

With your A races spaced out like that, it definitely makes things a bit trickier to plan. This is what I would do if I were in your position:

Half Distance Base (8 Weeks)
Olympic Build (6 Weeks)
Olympic Specialty (Weeks 1-5,7,8)
Olympic A Race
Half Distance Build (8 Weeks)
Half Distance Specialty (Weeks 1-3,7,8)
Half Distance A Race

This would allow you to be in very good form for both of your A races :)

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce
Do you recommend going from Mid Volume Sustained Power Build to Mid Volume Half Tri Base,Build and Specialty?
It seems like the the bike workouts are all shorter in general. Was wondering if I might lose some bike fitness?
I have been running Barry P and swimming 3 times a week during the Traditional Base and also during my Sustained Power Build.
By the way I love the plans, my FTP has risen each time I test!

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Hey there!

With your A races spaced out like that, it definitely makes things a bit trickier to plan. This is what I would do if I were in your position:

Olympic Build (6 Weeks)
Olympic A Race
Half Distance A Race

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! That's definitely a good setup. My main struggle was how to fit in the plans but shortening them is a genius idea ;-)

Is there any guidance on how to shorten the plans? It seems to be that week 7+8 are a must-do. Then just start from week 1 until the available period till week 7 is filled?

Blog | Instagram | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mniels wrote:
Hi Bryce
Do you recommend going from Mid Volume Sustained Power Build to Mid Volume Half Tri Base,Build and Specialty?
It seems like the the bike workouts are all shorter in general. Was wondering if I might lose some bike fitness?
I have been running Barry P and swimming 3 times a week during the Traditional Base and also during my Sustained Power Build.
By the way I love the plans, my FTP has risen each time I test!

Thanks
Mike

So happy to hear about your gains!

And yes, transitioning into the Half-Distance Triathlon Base will be your best option.

One thing I would could consider is using choosing the High-Volume plan if you can handle it. It sounds like you have been handling your current training load pretty well, and looking only at the cycling portions, the High Volume Tri plan more closely aligns with the cycling training stress you have seen in the Sustained Power Build plan.

If you switch to the Mid-Volume plan, your cycling volume will reduce. This can be a good thing if you are currently overworked and need a break, but it's a bad thing if your body is able to handle the higher volume.

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mlagerwerf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlagerwerf wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Hey there!

Olympic Build (6 Weeks)
Olympic A Race
Half Distance A Race

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! That's definitely a good setup. My main struggle was how to fit in the plans but shortening them is a genius idea ;-)

Is there any guidance on how to shorten the plans? It seems to be that week 7+8 are a must-do. Then just start from week 1 until the available period till week 7 is filled?

Typically, you will just start at the beginning of the plan and finish as much as you can. Then switch to the taper weeks when you are 1-2 weeks out.

For A races, I typically do a 2 week taper, and for B races, I'll do a one week taper, or sometimes just a few day's worth of a taper :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce - I just completed the IM Low Volume Base plan and am just starting some Sweet Spot training before going to IM Build (thanks for the earlier advice on this again!). Sweet spot starts with a ramp test and I was curious how I would fare after the Base training and was quite pleased to see my FTP went up by 6%. I wanted to get a sense for what you generally would expect FTP improvements to look like across the Base/Build/Speciality phases for IM Low Volume plans. I do appreciate that every rider is different and so it might not be easy/possible to say. If a rider were to gain 25% across all three (to pick a number), would most of that come through the Build phase for instance? Is it fair to expect an increase in FTP after completing Base or was my experience unusual?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Great !!
Thanks again Bryce ! !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rcsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcsa wrote:
Hi Bryce - I just completed the IM Low Volume Base plan and am just starting some Sweet Spot training before going to IM Build (thanks for the earlier advice on this again!). Sweet spot starts with a ramp test and I was curious how I would fare after the Base training and was quite pleased to see my FTP went up by 6%. I wanted to get a sense for what you generally would expect FTP improvements to look like across the Base/Build/Speciality phases for IM Low Volume plans. I do appreciate that every rider is different and so it might not be easy/possible to say. If a rider were to gain 25% across all three (to pick a number), would most of that come through the Build phase for instance? Is it fair to expect an increase in FTP after completing Base or was my experience unusual?

It's really impossible to say unfortunately :(

Your gains will depend on so many variables like:
Current FTP
Training History
Genetics
Training Plan
Training Volume
Life factors like stress, work, sleep, family
Consistency
Nutrition
Etc.

I'm sorry I can't get you a solid number, but as long as you continue to optimize as many variables as you can, and you will continue to maximize your performance increases.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce, Nate and all...is there a way to import a Tri plan into the Calendar but exclude the run/swim workouts? Or is the only way to import the whole plan and delete the run/swim workouts one-by-one? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

I am an ios app user of the soft on iphone 6, and since the switch to the calendar there is one thing that I find slightly annoying. First off, I work shift work, so I don't have a regular ride day for the workouts I do, every week they vary and after the work/wife/family schedule is sorted for the week, I will then pencil in workouts. And as any good training plan goes, its never written in stone and usually changes based on family factors that pop up.
Before the Calendar was introduced, If I did a ride on Monday, it would auto populate as complete within the training plan.
With the Calendar algorithm, If I do the Saturday ride on Monday, it will add that ride to the calendar, but it will still show the same workout pending for Saturday.
The part I find annoying is, when I get to my 3rd or 4th ride of the week, I am scrolling through to figure out which rides I have actually done, and which ones i still need to do.
Any chance it would be possible to make an update to auto populate rides as complete even if they are not done on the designated day as outlined?

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Hey Bryce, Nate and all...is there a way to import a Tri plan into the Calendar but exclude the run/swim workouts? Or is the only way to import the whole plan and delete the run/swim workouts one-by-one? Thanks!

Hey Kentucky Mac!

At this time, we are not able to add specific portions of the Tri Plan to the TrainerRoad Calendar. For now, you'll have to add the whole plan and then manually delete the parts that you don't want :(

That being said, in the future, we intend to further develop the Calendar functionality and implement the ability to add only the Tri Disciplines that you are interested in. No ETA yet, but this feature is definitely on our Roadmap.

Cheers,
Bryce

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Hey Bryce,

I am an ios app user of the soft on iphone 6, and since the switch to the calendar there is one thing that I find slightly annoying. First off, I work shift work, so I don't have a regular ride day for the workouts I do, every week they vary and after the work/wife/family schedule is sorted for the week, I will then pencil in workouts. And as any good training plan goes, its never written in stone and usually changes based on family factors that pop up.
Before the Calendar was introduced, If I did a ride on Monday, it would auto populate as complete within the training plan.
With the Calendar algorithm, If I do the Saturday ride on Monday, it will add that ride to the calendar, but it will still show the same workout pending for Saturday.
The part I find annoying is, when I get to my 3rd or 4th ride of the week, I am scrolling through to figure out which rides I have actually done, and which ones i still need to do.
Any chance it would be possible to make an update to auto populate rides as complete even if they are not done on the designated day as outlined?

Hey Leavitt,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. First I just wanted to let you know that we hear you loud and clear. There have been quite a few messages sent in by our users who have expressed very similar sentiments regarding the newly designed calendar feature. I want you to know that your feedback is not going unheard.

Though we have been trying our best to continually improve the app and web experience for all of our users, we see now that the Calendar update has actually worsened the TrainerRoad experience for a portion of our users, and for that we're really sorry.

The good news is that we have plans to develop a Calendar function that will act similar to the pre-Calendar version of TrainerRoad. Weā€™ll be re-implementing this workflow in a similar, but improved, capacity. Additionally, weā€™re building out the entire Calendar functionality within the apps. Soon youā€™ll have complete control of moving sessions around and managing your Calendar within the app.

You can stay up to date on any Beta releases or testing opportunities in the "Announcements" section of the TrainerRoad Forum to get the earliest possible access to new features.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce, just wanted to reach out to say thanks to everyone at TrainerRoad.

Last Sunday I raced IM70.3 East London and was able to execute my race almost exactly how I'd planned thanks in large part to the TR product.

I used the Sweetspot base / HIM build / HIM speciality plans as preparation for the race. I only really used TR for the bike workouts, putting the swim and run stuff together myself. Although I only used TR for the bike the structure the plans provide, together with the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast, definitely helped to keep me motivated throughout my buildup to the race. (and got me to around 4.09w/kg....a PB for me)

I slightly underbiked on race day aiming for an IF of just under 0.8, I ended up on 0.76 in some extremely windy conditions. All worked out though as I was able to run better than I'd hoped off the bike and ended off feeling strong.

For anyone who is interested in my nutrition plan - I took in 1,000cal (liquid only) on the bike and two gels on the run (one at the start and another after 30min).

Next up (besides some marathons) is a 167km gravel race in 3 weeks time. Planning on throwing in some rides from the Enthusiast plan in those weeks to keep my fitness going.

Thanks for keeping the focus on making us faster cyclists....its working!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Hey Bryce, just wanted to reach out to say thanks to everyone at TrainerRoad.

Thanks so much for the shoutout! Keep up the great work!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 16 weeks to get ready for a 70.3. What route should I take? Obviously I donā€™t have enough time for Base, Build, and Specialty. Iā€™ve been active the last couple months with plenty of running. Just nothing structured.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just synced TrainerRoar to my iOS Calendar.. awesome. I'm so glad for this added functionality. My life is dictated by our shared calendar and not having to manually transfer my entire workout schedule is a godsend.

It doesn't exist/doesn't happen if it isn't in my calendar.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:
I have 16 weeks to get ready for a 70.3. What route should I take? Obviously I donā€™t have enough time for Base, Build, and Specialty. Iā€™ve been active the last couple months with plenty of running. Just nothing structured.

Hey there!

With 16 weeks, I would recommend going through the Base and Build Phases :) Replace Week 8 of the Build phase with Week 8 of the Specialty phase as your taper week, and you have a perfect 16 week training plan :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next