Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Long time TR user but planning to move to a smart trainer soon - I bought a CycleOps Hammer a bunch of months ago but just haven't got around to setting it up yet. So question on basic functionality - In order to have TR automatically adjust the resistance to match the workout I'm doing I assume I need to use the Hammer as my power source as opposed to my Quarq? Is it a simple toggle in the settings if I have multiple active power sources paired? Then I'd still record the data from Quarq to my Garmin? And can TR take the power data stream from the Hammer but cadence from the Quarq?

If you have multiple power sources paired, we automatically enable PowerMatch. This allows us to use your Quarq as the primary power source, and we use that power reading to inform the ERG mode of your Hammer. Basically, we use software to bypass the Hammer power meter and base everything on your Quarq power.

To make sure that everything is set up correctly in your settings, be sure that:
- The Hammer is set to ERG mode
- PowerMatch is enabled

By doing this, you have a consistent power source indoors and outdoors so that you can accurately compare your efforts.

TH3_FRB wrote:
Another question - I sometimes adjust the workout I'm doing on the fly depending on how I feel. So If I might have some long steady intervals I might actually ride them as a progression. How would that work with the Hammer since it is trying to match the workout in TR if I want to go "off script"? I guess I'm asking if I can use the Hammer in "dumb trainer" mode and dictate for myself how much power I push?

If you decide you want to go "off-script", you can just change your Hammer into Resistance mode by accessing your trainer settings mid-workout. When you switch to resistance mode, the Hammer will apply a steady resistance and you will switch gears to alter your efforts, just like a standard trainer.

If you have trouble setting things up, don't hesitate to reach out to our Support Team at support@trainerroad.com. They are the experts on getting your trainers and sensors paired up and they are always happy to help.

Good luck!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent - thanks! I really like that solution to use the Quarq power feed. Also nice to know that I can switch from ERG to resistance mode on the fly. Might be a few weeks before I'm motivated to get everything set up - it's still warm here in VA Beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planning on Sept/Oct IM race

SSB I (mid) currently in week 2
SSB II (mid)
Sustained base - mid, gets me to mid Feb. 20

During this time I am only swimming and biking. I will resume running after Feb 20 but I have 10-11 weeks until I start IM training in May (23 week 80/20 program). Not certain what I should do during this time. I would like to ease back into running at this time so I'd like to limit rides to 3x (at most 4x)/week. I doubt that my focus should be trying to gain much more FTP increase at this time and probably should focus on bike maintenance during this period. What are your thoughts? thx
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GCN did a segment on base training and whether the old approach of lots of mileage was beneficial. The conclusion was that it has benefits but doesn't need to be a base. Basically you can develop different parts of your engine in different training blocks throughout the year. Since your doing a lot of sweat spot work now, I'd use those 10-11 weeks to get some longer rides in. The ironman bike is a minimum of 4 hours but generally much more for us mere mortals. If you're biking 3-4 times a week just go out and ride without structure. Let the structure be put on the run and just get hours on the bike. If you're feeling great then do a few intervals on a ride, if your legs are shot from running then keep it steady on the bike. I'd do 1-2hrs 2 or 3 times during the week and then a 3-6 hr ride each weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts of having YouTube videos set up for trainerroad workouts? I feel like this is something that could be crowd sourced by trainerroad users. My general setup is to have TR on my phone, listen to music, and watch planet earch, some other scenic TV show, or a bike race YouTube video. It's a motivation killer though if the race has a long decent in the middle of an interval. I'd absolutely love it if there were videos of people riding that corresponded with the workout. Going uphill during the intervals and flat on the recovery. The video could cut any downhill since TR doesn't have a time where you truly aren't pedaling. It'd be even cooler if TR brought the videos onto your platform and the speed of the video would change your power.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMStillTrying wrote:
Planning on Sept/Oct IM race

SSB I (mid) currently in week 2
SSB II (mid)
Sustained base - mid, gets me to mid Feb. 20

During this time I am only swimming and biking. I will resume running after Feb 20 but I have 10-11 weeks until I start IM training in May (23 week 80/20 program). Not certain what I should do during this time. I would like to ease back into running at this time so I'd like to limit rides to 3x (at most 4x)/week. I doubt that my focus should be trying to gain much more FTP increase at this time and probably should focus on bike maintenance during this period. What are your thoughts? thx

This question is answered by an exerpt from one of our Help Center articles, so I've pasted the text below:
A great way to use your off-season is to focus on cycling-specific training to improve your bike-leg. This time spent with a singular focus will allow you to progress much faster than when your efforts are split three ways. When taking the time to focus on cycling in the off-season, we recommend choosing one of our cycling Build Phases.

Sustained Power Build is the plan that will offer the most direct improvements for your triathlon performance. It focuses solely on raising your threshold and your ability to maintain steady, consistent power.

General Build If you are looking to increase your general cycling fitness and keep up on spirited group rides or try your hand at local cycling races, this plan is a great choice. Also, if your events have climbs or undulating terrain, this plan will help broaden your range of capabilities, which may increase your comfort level on race day. But remember, even if the course profile is varied, a steadily paced effort is a faster and more sustainable approach.

Short-Power Build is not a great choice for improving your triathlon performance, however, if you like to participate in criteriums, or just want to improve your burst power for other reasons, then Short Power Build could be a good way to mix things up in the off-season.

You have time for a bit more than just one time through Build, so you could potentially go through the Build Phase 1.5 times, or you could transition back into Traditional Base for three weeks after you complete the Build Phase.

For more tips to improve your Ironman training, check out our full Help Center article here:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024992771-Full-Distance-Training

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce - I just signed up for TrainerRoad a few months ago. I started with the SSB Low Volume I plan, but unfortunately took 11 weeks to complete the 6 week block. I'm training for an Olympic tri in June 2020 and have more free time now. Would you suggest doing the Olympic Triathlon Base, re-doing SSB I or moving to SSB II? Obviously I will make sure to do the next set in the prescribed time, but also want to mix in some weight training and swims.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:
Hi Bryce - I just signed up for TrainerRoad a few months ago. I started with the SSB Low Volume I plan, but unfortunately took 11 weeks to complete the 6 week block. I'm training for an Olympic tri in June 2020 and have more free time now. Would you suggest doing the Olympic Triathlon Base, re-doing SSB I or moving to SSB II? Obviously I will make sure to do the next set in the prescribed time, but also want to mix in some weight training and swims.

Thanks!

Hey there!

So you have about 32 weeks until June 2020, which gives you a little extra time since the full Olympic Base/ Build/ Specialty progression only takes 20 weeks.

With 12 weeks to spare, that is perfect for you to start over with SSB I and do the full 12 week Sweet Spot Base Plan before jumping into the Olympic Tri plan progression. And you are more than welcome to modify the SSB plan however you see fit in order to accomidate the swimming and weight training you want to do. Maybe you select a volume lower than you normally would to allow for the swim/weight stress, or you could drop some workouts and replace them with swim/weight workouts. Whatever fits your schedule best, and keeps you at a productive level of stress.

Let me know if you have any further questions for me :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce-

Going into the offseason from my first tri season with an A race on April 19th and then my B race not until September 20 next year with a few sprints and olys mixed between the two 70.3's so about 24 weeks until the first event. Looking to raise my w/kg to 3.5. Should I just go Half distance base -> Build -> Specialty to round out the 24 weeks?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:
Hi Bryce-

Going into the offseason from my first tri season with an A race on April 19th and then my B race not until September 20 next year with a few sprints and olys mixed between the two 70.3's so about 24 weeks until the first event. Looking to raise my w/kg to 3.5. Should I just go Half distance base -> Build -> Specialty to round out the 24 weeks?

Thanks in advance.

Since your A race is a Half Distance event, that is a perfect way to prepare! It sounds like it fits your schedule perfectly :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
cassinonorth wrote:
Hi Bryce-

Thanks in advance.

Since your A race is a Half Distance event, that is a perfect way to prepare! It sounds like it fits your schedule perfectly :)

Sort of similar to this question. I plan on doing base-build-specialty for a 24 week build up starting mid November. I won't have ridden since 2015. Any problems doing this? I will start on the low mileage and then consider going up to medium mileage after each phase.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy12 wrote:
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:

Sort of similar to this question. I plan on doing base-build-specialty for a 24 week build up starting mid November. I won't have ridden since 2015. Any problems doing this? I will start on the low mileage and then consider going up to medium mileage after each phase.

Nope, no issues. That's a great approach :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently did a sweat test where they used Perf Pro. He asked my FTP from TR and I told him (a miserably low 112). He said he strongly doubted that is accurate on FTP. During the test, Perf Pro said my FTP was 148. Obviously, I like that a lot better. Any insight on why he thinks TR is always low....is it actually usually low compared to Perf Pro?....

I am running TR on a laptop with my 2014 Kick'r. I am 5'2" /130 pound / 52 year old female

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Afletcher6846] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did the Perf Pro test differ from the TrainerRoad Test?

Do you remember what TR test you did? Was it the 8 min test, the 20 min test, or the Ramp test? If I know what tests you did in each software I may be able to offer some insight into the calculated difference :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was likely the ramp test in TR and the IMLOU course in PerfPro (just 1 hour of it)
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Afletcher6846] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afletcher6846 wrote:
It was likely the ramp test in TR and the IMLOU course in PerfPro (just 1 hour of it)
Thanks!

It is unusual for the Ramp test to test that much lower than comparable tests, but if you are more of a steady state rider, you may have had difficulty with the supra-threshold efforts of the Ramp Test, leading to an underestimated FTP.

Did you complete workouts at the Ramp test calculated FTP? How did the workouts feel?

Have you completed a TrainerRoad workout with the higher FTP of ~140 watts? Were you able to complete all of the intervals?

Ultimately, the Ramp test is just one of the tools we have for estimating FTP, and for those that it doesn't work well for, we recommend using the 8 or 20 minute tests if you find that their estimate is more accurate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you will be adding separate FTP settings for running (Stryd) and swimming (Vasa)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,

1 week into SSB I medium. 33 weeks until my B race (a 70.3) and 42 weeks until my A race (140.6.)

Quick thoughts?

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Nov 13, 19 21:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcon wrote:
Any chance you will be adding separate FTP settings for running (Stryd) and swimming (Vasa)?

At the moment, we do not have plans to add separate FTP settings for running and swimming. That being said, I think this could be a good idea, and may garner some solid community support. The way we process and guage support for feature requests is over in the TR forum, so if you wanted to make a feature request thread over there, we can discuss the possibilities further :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Hey Bryce,

1 week into SSB I medium. 33 weeks until my B race (a 70.3) and 42 weeks until my A race (140.6.)

Quick thoughts?

Looks like you have time for the 28 week full-distance plan, plus 14 weeks.

I would spend 12 weeks on SSB, roll straight into the full distance plan, and have two "buffer" weeks in case of travel or illness :)

Since the 70.3 is a B race, you will not change your plans to fit its demands, but rather, you can taper for it a couple days leading up, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
Hey Bryce,

Quick thoughts?

Looks like you have time for the 28 week full-distance plan, plus 14 weeks.

I would spend 12 weeks on SSB, roll straight into the full distance plan, and have two "buffer" weeks in case of travel or illness :)

Since the 70.3 is a B race, you will not change your plans to fit its demands, but rather, you can taper for it a couple days leading up, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Excellent, thank you.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Going along with the FTP test questions above, is there one FTP test that is better than another for the training programs? Should you do whatever one fits your abilities best or is there one that represents your true FTP best and should always be used?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Going along with the FTP test questions above, is there one FTP test that is better than another for the training programs? Should you do whatever one fits your abilities best or is there one that represents your true FTP best and should always be used?

Thanks!

For all athletes, we recommend the Ramp test because it is shorter, and takes a much lower stress toll on your body, meaning that it will not disrupt your training. We find that a vast majority of cyclists prefer this test, and that they find the FTP estimate effective and useful for basing their training.

There are some athletes though, that find they are outliers and the Ramp test does not estimate their FTP accurately. For those individuals, they can choose the 8 or 20 minute test depending on their preference.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
dcon wrote:

At the moment, we do not have plans to add separate FTP settings for running and swimming. That being said, I think this could be a good idea, and may garner some solid community support. The way we process and guage support for feature requests is over in the TR forum, so if you wanted to make a feature request thread over there, we can discuss the possibilities further :)

Okay - will do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,
After about a year and a half of structured training including a build up to a half distance last July. I currently took six weeks off of any structured training for a minor injury.
When I start back up I will have 6 weeks before I begin the half distance base, build and speciality.
Any suggestions how I should fill that gap before I begin the half distance program?

Thanks
Mike
Quote Reply

Prev Next