Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Birdsperch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdsperch wrote:
Hi Bryce
TR and an Elite Direto is the best thing since sliced bread ! Keep up the great work!

My A race is IMNZ March 2020. I’ll do the IM HV base/build/specialty starting 8/1/19

I’m finishing HIM HV base/build/specialty with Oceanside 70.3 on 4/6/19

What do I do with April thru July given that I have a time restriction from middle of April to middle of May - I’m the chairperson of our large church carnival which is a three day event in the middle of May and I’ll be really tired from that event - about 2 week recovery.

Thanks

It sounds like your event falls at a perfect time: it is after your Half Ironman, but before you need to start your preparation for your Full Ironman in August. I would recommend just taking a little time of the bike for a few weeks, and then jump back into some Base Training once you're able to.

Let me know if there is anything I'm missing, or anything that I can clarify for you!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Birdsperch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdsperch wrote:
Hi Bryce

Last question (for now)

I was able to import Oceanside 70.3 bike segment from bestbikesplit.com
I’m doing HIM HV specialty right now.
I’m planning on doing the Oceanside ride in TR instead of Polar Bear and Boarstone (in weeks 4, 5 & 7); your thoughts and comments?

Thank you !

Hey there!

As long as they end up at a similar length and TSS, that's a great substitution :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I'm 3 weeks into the HIM build, but due to an unexpected change of plans, my A race has moved up 3 weeks. Should I shorten the build phase or specialty, and when ?

Thanks !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Triingfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingfrog wrote:
Hey,

I'm 3 weeks into the HIM build, but due to an unexpected change of plans, my A race has moved up 3 weeks. Should I shorten the build phase or specialty, and when ?

Thanks !

Hey triingfrog!

In that case, you will just trim those 3 weeks off of your Specialty Phase :)

Rather than doing Weeks 1-8, you will do Weeks 1-3 followed by Weeks 7-8. Week 7-8 are your Taper weeks, and will serve to prepare you for your best race day performance.

Best of luck!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce

I've got an IM Tremblant 70.3 coming up on June 23rd.

So far this year I've completed Sweet Spot Base and Sustained Power Build. I've only got just over 3 months (12 weeks) left and I'm debating which of these 3 programs to do:
-Half Triathlon Base (8 wks)
-Half Triathlon Build (8 wks)
-Half Triathlon Specialty (8wks)

I've got enough time to complete 1.5 of these programs. I've done a few 70.3s before and endurance has never been an issue - I'm most interested in getting my avg speed up.

How would you recommend I allocate my last 12 weeks?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [blayze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce,
I have my first ever ironman coming up in 36 weeks and would appreciate some guides to cycling only plans from this point forwards.
As I have no real races coming up and a reasonable endurance base at present, I am really keen to bump up my FTP over a shorter period of time.
What would you recommend for this?
Going backwards from the race I have the:
8 weeks specialty plan
8 weeks high volume build plan
12 weeks full distance base
That gives me 8 weeks of training to bring in. I am working of pretty good fitness now but will really like to pump my FTP up so I can potentially ride faster and easier on the day.
What can I do in that 8 weeks to maximise FTP gains moving into the first 12 weeks full distance base plan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blayze wrote:
Hey Bryce

I've got an IM Tremblant 70.3 coming up on June 23rd.

So far this year I've completed Sweet Spot Base and Sustained Power Build. I've only got just over 3 months (12 weeks) left and I'm debating which of these 3 programs to do:
-Half Triathlon Base (8 wks)
-Half Triathlon Build (8 wks)
-Half Triathlon Specialty (8wks)

I've got enough time to complete 1.5 of these programs. I've done a few 70.3s before and endurance has never been an issue - I'm most interested in getting my avg speed up.

How would you recommend I allocate my last 12 weeks?

Thanks!

Hey there!

Have you been running and swimming throughout the Sweet Spot Base and Sustained Power Build Plans?

If you have, I would recommend starting at Week 5 of Half Distance Build, and then moving on to the full Specialty Phase.

If you have not been running or swimming, I recommend completing the Half Distance Build, followed by Weeks 1,2,7,8 of Specialty :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Hey Bryce,
I have my first ever ironman coming up in 36 weeks and would appreciate some guides to cycling only plans from this point forwards.
As I have no real races coming up and a reasonable endurance base at present, I am really keen to bump up my FTP over a shorter period of time.
What would you recommend for this?
Going backwards from the race I have the:
8 weeks specialty plan
8 weeks high volume build plan
12 weeks full distance base
That gives me 8 weeks of training to bring in. I am working of pretty good fitness now but will really like to pump my FTP up so I can potentially ride faster and easier on the day.
What can I do in that 8 weeks to maximise FTP gains moving into the first 12 weeks full distance base plan?

If your goal is to focus soley on cycling fitness before jumping into the Triathlon Base/Build/Specialty progression, we typically recommend the Sustained Power Build Plan. This plan is focused around, you guessed it, building your sustained power, which will have a very favorable effect on your triathlon specific cycling fitness :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I go into trainerroad on the app, why do I always have to log in to the website to see the details of the workout? And if I want to check the details of multiple workouts through the app I have to log in multiple times.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Onion bhaji wrote:
When I go into trainerroad on the app, why do I always have to log in to the website to see the details of the workout? And if I want to check the details of multiple workouts through the app I have to log in multiple times.

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you have to enter your login credentials every time, this is certainly not the flow that we intended and we should be able to get this working much more smoothly.

Our Support Team will be your best resource for this since they are the experts on the technical side of things. A few things you should include in your initial email:

1. What device you are using (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac)
2. How it is opening (in your browser or in its own window within the app)
3. If it opens in the broswer, what browser are you using

You can reach out to the team at support@trainerroad.com.

Sorry again for the complication, I'm sure Support will sort things out in no time :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I'll get in touch with them
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I’m currently doing the Full Ironman Distance high volume plan, just about to finish the base phase and will begin the Build Phase afterwards followed by specialty.

Im following the default bike days which are Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I was wondering if I were to add a bike on Wednesday’s as well, what type of workout should I add, would you also have some examples?

Would the added Wednesday workout differ for the base phase? For the build phase? For specialty?

Thanks, much appreciated!
Last edited by: 3forcarter: Mar 27, 19 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [3forcarter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3forcarter wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I’m currently doing the Full Ironman Distance high volume plan, just about to finish the base phase and will begin the Build Phase afterwards followed by specialty.

Im following the default bike days which are Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I was wondering if I were to add a bike on Wednesday’s as well, what type of workout should I add, would you also have some examples?

Would the added Wednesday workout differ for the base phase? For the build phase? For specialty?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Hey there!

Honestly, this is a bit out of the scope of my coaching knowledge unfortunately. Since you are already on the high volume plan, I would likely stay away from anything too intense and just add what we call "TSS filler". This is basically just additional riding at an endurance pace that helps to boost your TSS without adding much serious strain to your body. Basically just additional, east and unstructured riding.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more specific :(

If you'd like a more detailed answer, I would recommend submitting your question for the chance to get it answered on our Ask a Cycling Coach podcast. You can submit your question on our website:
https://www.trainerroad.com/podcast

Happy training!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response, Bryce!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bryce
Any tips for a gpx or tcx into trainerroad?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [MrBags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We recommend using another third-party application called BestBikeSplit. You can check out our Help Center article on how to use their tool with TrainerRoad here:
https://support.trainerroad.com/...t-from-BestBikeSplit

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce --

I am training for a 70.3 in May, and will have strung together Sweet Spot Base Lower Volume II and Half Distance Mid Base/Build/Specialty leading into the race. I'm looking at doing a November full Ironman, and would have 24 weeks between. Since the Trainer Road Ironman plans are 28 weeks (12+8+8), how should I structure that? Just skip the first four weeks of Base or something else?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Onion bhaji wrote:

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you have to enter your login credentials every time, this is certainly not the flow that we intended and we should be able to get this working much more smoothly.

Our Support Team will be your best resource for this since they are the experts on the technical side of things. A few things you should include in your initial email:

1. What device you are using (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac)
2. How it is opening (in your browser or in its own window within the app)
3. If it opens in the broswer, what browser are you using

You can reach out to the team at support@trainerroad.com.

Sorry again for the complication, I'm sure Support will sort things out in no time :)

I've got the same thing... feels like they have all the workout data stored in the website.

They need to redesign it so that it pulls the data in the background straight into the app without making you log-in through a browser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if you could give me your opinion in this training plan "sequence", I started at the beginning of the year with the Base Olympic plan followed by the Build Oly, HIM Base (which I am currently in the last week), HIM build and HIM Specialty leading to my event on August. My "B" race (an Olympic triathlon) is at the end of the HIM build plan, my question is: how detrimental to my HIM race would be substituting the HIM build for the Olympic Specialty plan? Is there a better way to prepare for both races, Oly and HIM, while being 8 weeks apart?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on a similar progression. Week 8 of the HIM build plan has the option for an Oly race so envisages preparing for a B-Oly and an A-70.3. Personally I'd be reluctant to swap a Build block for a specialty block, specially for a B-race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Just did Oceanside which fell right at the end of the IM build. I have Santa Rosa in 4 weeks...should I go to week 4 or specialty of start from week 1 and use week 8 for the taper? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaniD wrote:
I was wondering if you could give me your opinion in this training plan "sequence", I started at the beginning of the year with the Base Olympic plan followed by the Build Oly, HIM Base (which I am currently in the last week), HIM build and HIM Specialty leading to my event on August. My "B" race (an Olympic triathlon) is at the end of the HIM build plan, my question is: how detrimental to my HIM race would be substituting the HIM build for the Olympic Specialty plan? Is there a better way to prepare for both races, Oly and HIM, while being 8 weeks apart?

Hey Dani!

The HIM Build actually expects you to do an Olympic distance race at the end of Week 8, so that works perfectly :)

If you read the weekly tips for Week 8 of Base, it goes over the instructions and preparations to take leading into your Olympic Distance Race.

In other words, your schedule lines up pretty much optimally for ideal perormance in both your Olympic Distance Race and your Half Ironman Race.

Good luck with your season!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Just did Oceanside which fell right at the end of the IM build. I have Santa Rosa in 4 weeks...should I go to week 4 or specialty of start from week 1 and use week 8 for the taper? Thanks!

Start with Week 1 and then do a one week taper (Week 8) if you are feeling pretty fresh and ready. If you feel like you need a bit more time to taper, do a two week taper (Weeks 7 and 8).

Good luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Start with Week 1 and then do a one week taper (Week 8) if you are feeling pretty fresh and ready. If you feel like you need a bit more time to taper, do a two week taper (Weeks 7 and 8).

Good luck!

thank you Bryce!
Quote Reply

Prev Next