Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce! VEry much appreciate the feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce ! !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bruce
Quick question . I'm currently doing the IM Build (low) plan. I seriously dislike the long, 2+ hr endurance sessions. They bore me to tears, no matter what entertainment I use. Would switching them out for 2hr sweet spot sessions, such as Hunter or Antelope +5 detrementally impact my training?
Thanks in advance

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Hi Bruce
Quick question . I'm currently doing the IM Build (low) plan. I seriously dislike the long, 2+ hr endurance sessions. They bore me to tears, no matter what entertainment I use. Would switching them out for 2hr sweet spot sessions, such as Hunter or Antelope +5 detrementally impact my training?
Thanks in advance

Hey there!

Switching out for a slightly shorter Sweet Spot Base workout is a great option for when your'e stuck inside due to the weather :) Eventually, you will want to log some 2+ hour rides on your Tri bike, but you can wait for the weather to improve a bit and do those outside.

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bryce- long days on the bike, outside, are great, not so much on the turbo!

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to schedule TT races in trainerroad from end March I have 1 or 2 races each month so 2-4 weeks between races.
Is there a plan for it? So last day before the race should be a easy ride and 2-3 days before some short heavy intervals (that did my coach did plan).

Thanks

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until Bryce comes back on here, try podcast 183 - it talks about stretching peaks.

https://soundcloud.com/...-a-cycling-coach-183
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any plans to integrate with TrainingPeak similar to the Daily Workout App that Garmin has? I know I can use my Garmin to ride those workouts, but I'd much rather use TrainerRoad for the visuals. I know I can export the workouts from TrainingPeaks and then import them through the workout creator, but that's a lot of work when I'm training for a full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
What is the best way to schedule TT races in trainerroad from end March I have 1 or 2 races each month so 2-4 weeks between races.

Is there a plan for it? So last day before the race should be a easy ride and 2-3 days before some short heavy intervals (that did my coach did plan).

Thanks

Hey Rbe,

When will your final TT of the year be?

The longest you can "stretch" your Peak is about 8 weeks by repeating the last two weeks of Specialty, but this is more for weekly races like cyclocross and criterium series. 2-4 week gaps between races would likely be better suited by a re-build phase, which means that you will finish your first Base/ Build/ Specialty phase and then jump back into Build/ Specialty. This will extend your season by 16 weeks, and while you will not be peaked for the entire time (you can't be), you will have two distinct peaks where the second peak is a bit higher than the first.

Your overall training progression would look like this:

Sweet Spot Base (12 Weeks)
Sustained Power Build (8 Weeks)
40K TT (8 Weeks)
40K TT (8 Weeks)

You can use the TrainerRoad Calednar to help you plan out your training with respect to your events to see which events you will be fully peaked for :)

For a bit of extra reading on this topic, check out this article in our Help Center:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005942586-Peaking-for-Multiple-A-Races

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

The final TT in 2019 will be 29 september and it will be by far the longest one (138 KM) (A race)

This ones i have planned (not 100% sure yet so maybe 1 or 2 will be skipped or added not all races have the date confirmed)
14 April 2019 17,2 km
20 april 2019 21 km (A race)
19 Mai 2019 34,4 km
9 Juni 2019 30,4 km
23 Juni 2019 17,2 km
7 Juli 2019 45,6 km (A race)
21 Juli 2019 17,2 km
4 August 2019 15,2 km
25 August 2019 34,4 km
1 September 2019 17,2 km
15 September 2019 15,2 km

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Last edited by: rbe: Jan 6, 19 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Hi

The final TT in 2019 will be 29 september and it will be by far the longest one (138 KM) (A race)

This ones i have planned (not 100% sure yet so maybe 1 or 2 will be skipped or added not all races have the date confirmed)
14 April 2019 17,2 km
20 april 2019 21 km (A race)
19 Mai 2019 34,4 km
9 Juni 2019 30,4 km
23 Juni 2019 17,2 km
7 Juli 2019 45,6 km (A race)
21 Juli 2019 17,2 km
4 August 2019 15,2 km
25 August 2019 34,4 km
1 September 2019 17,2 km
15 September 2019 15,2 km

Gotcha, so you have 38 weeks until your A Race for the season, so I would recommend the following progression:

Sweet Spot Base (12 Weeks)
40K TT (8 Weeks)
Sustained Power Build (Weeks 5-8)
40K TT (Weeks 1-4, 7-8)

This will take you all the way up to your A race, and all your other races will fall as they may. On weeks with races, you may tweak the plan a bit by making the Thursday ride a bit easier so that your legs are a bit fresher heading into your B level races.

I hope this helps!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

Apologies if the question has already been asked in a somewhat similar form - I've done my best to get through as many of the 192 pages as possible.

I'm currently training for the Zurich 70.3 taking place the first weekend of June, which leaves me with about 20 weeks starting next week.

I've recently joined TR having spent the last +-2 months on Zwift.

I am still debating between the low and mid volume plans but was considering the following:
- 4 weeks of base 70.3 plan
- full build 70.3 plan
- full specialty 70.3 plan

I could possibly slot in 4 rides during some of the weeks but would like to keep the option to have one long ride outside starting in the spring, which may make the low volume plan better for me.

Does this broadly make sense?

Many thanks
B
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bertrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bertrand wrote:
Hi Bryce,

Apologies if the question has already been asked in a somewhat similar form - I've done my best to get through as many of the 192 pages as possible.

I'm currently training for the Zurich 70.3 taking place the first weekend of June, which leaves me with about 20 weeks starting next week.

I've recently joined TR having spent the last +-2 months on Zwift.

I am still debating between the low and mid volume plans but was considering the following:
- 4 weeks of base 70.3 plan
- full build 70.3 plan
- full specialty 70.3 plan

I could possibly slot in 4 rides during some of the weeks but would like to keep the option to have one long ride outside starting in the spring, which may make the low volume plan better for me.

Does this broadly make sense?

Many thanks
B

Rather than selecting a Low Volume Plan, I would recommend choosing a Mid-Volume Plan and replacing the weekend workouts with outdoor workouts. This way, the plan more fully accounts for the stress you will be accruing :)

As for your plan progression, everything looks good to me!

Welcome to TrainerRoad and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

I was surprised you did not tell Bertrand to do the 8 weeks of Base and cut the Specialty back to weeks 1,2,7,8. Does it have something to do with his prior 2 months of Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcon wrote:
Hi Bryce,

I was surprised you did not tell Bertrand to do the 8 weeks of Base and cut the Specialty back to weeks 1,2,7,8. Does it have something to do with his prior 2 months of Zwift?

You're absolutely right, I should have verified that the past two months were spent with a level of consistency on Zwift. In cases where a rider has been riding at a moderate volume for 6+ weeks, skipping the first half of Base can be a viable option.

In Bertand's case, he would only be skipping three Base work-weeks, and due to how nicely that would set up the rest of his plan with respect to his target event, I figured that would be his best possible progression considering his level of fitness coming into the plan.

Hope that clears things up, sorry for the confusion!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Bryce and others,

When taking my last 20 min FTP test using TR when it dropped out of ERG mode I ran out of gears, meaning big ring and small gear out back and not enough resistance.

I am using a Kickr with PowerTap P1 using powermatch.

What I see when I select devices in TR and access my Kickr, I see that the “resistance” selection the slide bar is all the way to the left, like at 0.

I also see the “standard” selection is set at 3 out of 9.

So, I realize I will need to move one of these. But which one and how much?

I looked for an answer but couldn’t find one, and no, I didn’t read this entire thread.

Happy Sunday and appreciate any help that can be offered.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this great idea to get to my summer races, which was to do Sweet Spot Base Mid 1, then 2, then Olympic Triathlon Base, Build and Speciality.
I did SS Base I before Christmas and all went well with maybe 1 run and 1 swim per week.

Now though I need to start to run and swim a bit more.

On Saturday I ran 10miles, then was supposed to do Kawaeh+2. As I was feeling a bit tired, I did the Sunday workout (Geiger +2) instead, but found it really tough, even though it is only sweet spot.
On Sunday I was feeling a bit tired, so decided to chicken out of Kawaeh+2 and do Kawaeh-2 instead, that is 3x10mins at 95% instead of 5x10mins between 95-99%.

Is that a reasonable way to work around fitting in 3 runs and 2 swims into the Sweet Spot Base plan? I want to concentrate more on cycling right now, but I also can't completely stop running and swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there folks still training with the Legacy Air app? Is is reliable these days?

I have a Cycleops 400 Pro and was a dedicated TR user until the Legacy Air app got flakey. Maybe the Legacy Air app better now? My 400 Pro isn't supported by the new TR software, unfortunately, but it still seems to be supported by the legacy app:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201697304-CycleOps-Indoor-Cycle-300-400

I've been using Rouvy and it works great with my 400 Pro in erg mode, but I miss the TR training plans that Rouvy doesn't have. Alternatively, is there a place I can purchase an erg mode training plan that I can load into Rouvy? Something like "20 weeks to a Sprint Triathlon for a time crunched old guy who used to be sorta fast but was never really competitive?"
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tball wrote:
Are there folks still training with the Legacy Air app? Is is reliable these days?

I have a Cycleops 400 Pro and was a dedicated TR user until the Legacy Air app got flakey. Maybe the Legacy Air app better now? My 400 Pro isn't supported by the new TR software, unfortunately, but it still seems to be supported by the legacy app:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201697304-CycleOps-Indoor-Cycle-300-400

I've been using Rouvy and it works great with my 400 Pro in erg mode, but I miss the TR training plans that Rouvy doesn't have. Alternatively, is there a place I can purchase an erg mode training plan that I can load into Rouvy? Something like "20 weeks to a Sprint Triathlon for a time crunched old guy who used to be sorta fast but was never really competitive?"

Haha we should let you name the training plans ;)

The Cycleops 400 is a notoriously finicky trainer, however, I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team to see if they have made any developments since the last time you used the software. They are the wizards when it comes to the technical side of things.

You can always your CycleOps with resistance mode, but then of course that takes away the appeal of a smart trainer doesn't it?

As for exporting plans, sadly we don't have any way to export TrainerRoad plans :(

I'm really sorry I don't have better news for you today.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
I had this great idea to get to my summer races, which was to do Sweet Spot Base Mid 1, then 2, then Olympic Triathlon Base, Build and Speciality.
I did SS Base I before Christmas and all went well with maybe 1 run and 1 swim per week.

Now though I need to start to run and swim a bit more.

On Saturday I ran 10miles, then was supposed to do Kawaeh+2. As I was feeling a bit tired, I did the Sunday workout (Geiger +2) instead, but found it really tough, even though it is only sweet spot.
On Sunday I was feeling a bit tired, so decided to chicken out of Kawaeh+2 and do Kawaeh-2 instead, that is 3x10mins at 95% instead of 5x10mins between 95-99%.

Is that a reasonable way to work around fitting in 3 runs and 2 swims into the Sweet Spot Base plan? I want to concentrate more on cycling right now, but I also can't completely stop running and swimming.

I would recommend selecting the runs and swims from the Olympic Distance Plan and mixing that with the rides from Sweet Spot Base. The runs prescribed in Olympic Base range from 40 minutes and work up to about 65 minutes of Base Pace running. The 10 miles you did on Saturday after a period of not running was likely too much running stress to be sustainable with your cycling plan.

Keep in mind that you will have all of Olympic Base, Build and Specialty to work on your running, so taking some time to focus on your cycling is not a bad idea. If you need to trim down the runs and swims a bit to make sure that you can successfully complete the rides, that would be my recommendation.

In other words, if your focus is cycling in this phase of your training, don't drastically cut back your rides so that you can fit big runs in.

Happy training and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Hello Bryce and others,

When taking my last 20 min FTP test using TR when it dropped out of ERG mode I ran out of gears, meaning big ring and small gear out back and not enough resistance.

What I see when I select devices in TR and access my Kickr, I see that the “resistance” selection the slide bar is all the way to the left, like at 0.

I looked for an answer but couldn’t find one, and no, I didn’t read this entire thread.

Hey there!

Standard and Resistance are two different modes that you can use with a smart trainer.

Resistance mode mimics a Magnetic trainer, and has a linear power curve.

Standard mode mimics a fluid trainer, and has an exponential power curve. This mode is said to have a more "realistic road feel" since resistance experienced on the road is also exponential with respect to speed.

The numbers that you mentioned are just levels of resistance in each of these modes. A good place to start when using Resistance Mode is 30-40, while in Standard Mode, Level 3 is usually a good setting. When in one of these modes, your trainer acts like a "non-smart" trainer, and we just take the power readings from your P1s.

Does that answer your question?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryce Lewis TR wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:
Hello Bryce and others,

Hey there!

Standard and Resistance are two different modes that you can use with a smart trainer.

Resistance mode mimics a Magnetic trainer, and has a linear power curve.

Standard mode mimics a fluid trainer, and has an exponential power curve. This mode is said to have a more "realistic road feel" since resistance experienced on the road is also exponential with respect to speed.

The numbers that you mentioned are just levels of resistance in each of these modes. A good place to start when using Resistance Mode is 30-40, while in Standard Mode, Level 3 is usually a good setting. When in one of these modes, your trainer acts like a "non-smart" trainer, and we just take the power readings from your P1s.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks. Not really.

I guess the question now is, when I’m taking the 20 Minute FTP test on TR and the Kickr drops out of ERG mode automatically, what mode does it go into? Resistance or standard?

Next, what should I set whichever mode it goes into setting to?

Appreciate the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bryce,

No questions, just want to say thanks to you and the team for the program. I completed sweet spot base phase I and increased my FTP by 28 watts in seven weeks :)

Granted, I'm what you'd call an untrained rider and still experiencing the killer newbie gains. But the ease in which I just adjust my calendar and then do the plan is just so great. Looking forward to phase II and then onto build!
Last edited by: rossi46: Jan 14, 19 18:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rossi46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a question. I was thinking of starting a half distance mid volume plan, having successfully done the full distance mid volume plan last year, and done sweet spot base and build plans the last few months. Yesterday at lunch I checked the half distance mid volume plan at my laptop at work, logged in to my account and saw that the first ride was a 25 min ramp test. This was perfect as I didn't have much time after time, but I could fit that test in. Coming home I fired up the app on my ipad, selected the plan, but no ramp test. I went to search for the ramp test but couldn't find it. Ended up doing a 30 min Gilbert -2 workout. Both at work as in the app I was logged into the same account, not sure when I last updated the app on my ipad though. Could that be the cause of the missing ramp test?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should drop into Standard Mode during the 20 and 8 Minute tests if paired via Bluetooth. If paired via ANT+, it should drop into Resistance Mode.

The best way to determine the correct level of Resistance is to test them out yourself. Like I mentioned, 30 is a good place to start for Resistance Mode, and 3 is a good place to start for Standard Mode. Once you find a good level, exit the workout and ensure that that value is set in the TrainerRoad settings. Then, when the test interval starts, it will drop into that level when it's time to crank up the heat :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next