Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [kaclassen] [ In reply to ]

kaclassen wrote:
As an athlete who was coached by one of the greatest triathletes of all time Scott Molina, I have huge respect for coaches. By the way Scott charges $375 a month for very good coaching. When the payments are WAY above the industry norm there is something fishy. Have you been able to show me proof that a lot of cycling coaches make 100k per year per athlete? Also for 2-3 years of those 10 that Lance paid Dr. Ferrari he was retired so it's really more than $100k a year.

Kerry Classen
You obviously weren't making $10m/yr and to be fair there aren't many cyclists making that amount either. According to the affidavits, Ferrari took on other clients for much less than 100k. The fees he charges were commensurate with the results. It may not sound fair but it happens all the time in real life. Does a real estate salesperson earning 3% on the sale of a $10m house work that much harder than someone selling $100k condos? Not really.

I go back to my original example, many think it's unfair that a person could make $1m/yr for carrying someone's golf clubs around a course. That's life!

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [Prie0065] [ In reply to ]

Prie0065 wrote:

Just spent the moring reading this...Very interesting, and quite damning...However, in 200+ pages, there are no numbers other than financials and bank documents. Is it possible there are two definitions of "guilty"? No possitive tests, no...
physical proof...so not guility? However, pages upon pages of quotations, association, etc...Guilt by association or probability? The evidence skews toward the probability, yet in my scientific mind...I must go with physical tangible evidence...and there is none in this report, only probabilty and association. So the verdict reads: Not guilty based on "never" failing a test, no physical evidence....Guilty based on Medical, managment, and rider association.....

You spent the morning reading the thread but not the actual report.

There are positive tests (cortisone and the TdS positives), as well as syringes and medical waste found.

No numbers? Look again. Blood passport data from 2009 and 2010 are analyzed on page 140.

You also don't know what guilt by association means. Guilt by association is charging Taylor Phinney and Tejay van Garderen of doping simply because they rode with Hincapie and under Jim Ochowiczh. Here we have riders swearing under oath that they saw him dope, or that they were asked to take care of EPO or blood bags by keeping them cool, or that they obtained EPO from Lance.

Some shoddy scientist you are
Prie0065 wrote:

Hell...I've used cortisone, supplements...etc....Should I return my Age-group medals and awards?

so many fallacies in a single sentence, but let's break it down.
Did you use it to enhance recovery or for other purposes?
Were you tested, and if so, did you provide a legitimate TUE (amateurs are allowed to have back-dated TUEs, unlike professionals)
Many supplements aren't banned

all that said, you know the answer to your own rhetorical question

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]

klehner wrote:
A security camera catches a guy walking into the Quickie Mart carrying a gun. It shows him walking out five minutes later with smoke coming out of the barrel of the gun in his hand. The police find Apu inside, dead of a gunshot from the same model of gun.

ha! we all know that mere bullets won't kill Apu Nahasapeemapetilon. he's been shot so many times that the bullets bounce off the fragments of earlier shootings.

Apu: Pardon me, but I would like to see this money spent on more police officers. I have been shot eight times this year, and as a result, I almost missed work.

Apu: Ah. The searing kiss of hot lead; how I missed you. I mean, I think I'm dying.

kaclassen wrote:
Tell me one cycling coach who makes $100k a year off of 1 athlete. Tiger's net worth is $500million after his divorce. I'm arguing because what Lance paid to Dr. Ferrari is obscene for coaching.

Kerry Classen

So...admittedly it's not "one athlete", but how do you feel about college (not pro) football coaches that are making 4 million a year (Urban Meyer, Ohio State) or that there are several college coaches that received RAISES of over 1 million? (And that doesn't include the assistant coaches/trainers/etc salaries)

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [gregf83] [ In reply to ]

The caddy isn't a great comparison. But it has been reported Hank Haney (Tiger's ex-coach) was paid $50K per year and Tiger is notoriously cheap.
Last edited by: saltman: Oct 11, 12 10:43

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [MKirk] [ In reply to ]

MKirk wrote:
Ahillock wrote:
denali2001 wrote:
GH is giving up results from May 31, 2004 through July 31, 2006.

He admits to doping with EPO back in 1996. So why not all the way back?

....and why all the focus on Armstrong and the limited punishments on these confessing riders. Looks like most were already doping prior to Armstrong anyway AND most according to their affidavits were involved in doping programs either before Armstrong or separate from his.......from my quick reading most of these guys only knew about Armstrongs doping in relationship to their own and their needs. 6 months is a joke!!

Dealers and smugglers always get longer sentences than users. You squeeze a user to get the goods on the dealer by offering them a lighter sentence. Nothing new here.

http://www.bobswims.com/

"If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing"

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]

xtremrun wrote:
pick6 wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
xtremrun wrote:
Francois wrote:
I love how pathetic fanboys try to steer the conversation away from the biggest cheat of all time in cycling...

Who's is talking about Eddie Merckx? I thought this was about LA.

I remember a few years ago Tom Demberly (sp?) posted something about how Eddie Merckx was caught doping back in the day.
There was not one reply to his post. Nobody wanted to see it.

I wasn't a member then, but it's public knowledge he got popped 3 times. Twice he fought the 3rd time, he said "yep, I was doping". Merckx is Lance's idol, and he did the one thing Lance doesn't seem to be capable of doing, tell the truth about his cheating. To me, that puts merckx above Lance, even if he said he was forced to cheat because it was the only way to win.

Well that's nice, that you think Merckx is above Lance. Merckx won more professional bike races than anyone in history, got caught doping 3 times. I would say that makes him the biggest cheater of all time. Sorry but just because he came clean finally doesn't change a thing. Why didn't they take all his victories and give him a lifetime ban from the sport? Here is a little list of the biggest cheater ever in cycling accomplishments.

• Most career victories by a professional cyclist: 525.
  • Most victories in one season: 54.
  • Most stage victories in the Tour de France: 34.
  • Most stage victories in one Tour de France: 8, in 1970 and 1974 (shared with Charles Pélissier in 1930 and Freddy Maertens in 1976).
  • Most days with the yellow jersey in the Tour de France: 96.
  • The only cyclist to have won the general classification, points classification and mountains classification in the same Tour de France (1969).
  • Most victories in classics: 28.
  • Most victories in one single classic: 7 (in Milan – San Remo).
  • Most victories in Grand Tours: 11

• Well for one, he's not American. But I don't disagree.

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [saltman] [ In reply to ]

saltman wrote:
    The caddy isn't a great comparison. But it has been reported Hank Haney (Tiger's ex-coach) was paid $50K per year and Tiger is notoriously cheap.

I don't know why we are chasing this bad analogy into the ground, but Haney wasn't exclusive to TW.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [53x12] [ In reply to ]

53x12 wrote:
    chainpin wrote:

The problem with that is that if Lance admits to doping he will also have to admit to trafficking, which puts him in legal jeopardy.

Then Big George is also in trouble:

35- "In 1996 Customs seized EPO that I had with me when entering the U.S. I told them it was medicine, and I was allowed to retain it."

statute of limitations would be my question here.

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

apples and oranges, you can't compare. Show my a cycling coach that charges rates like Dr. Ferrari.

Kerry Classen

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]

nhunter344 wrote:
    chainpin wrote:

Where in that document is there proof that the money was for EPO/drugs etc?

It is proof that money was trasnfered from Lance to the Dr., but unless I'm missing something there is no smoking gun in those statements.

I thought the same. Also seems a little fishy to me that given the great lengths that LA supposedly went to in order to conceal his doping, that he would pay the doctor advising him on best doping practices by personnal checks and accts.

Sure you would, as the transfer of cash proves nothing, therefore there is no risk in paying your doctor bill via swiss bank account.

I haven't looked at the entire report, but legally speaking I see no smoking gun here that is the be all end all definitive irrefutable proof that Lance doped.

Again, legally speaking.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [chainpin] [ In reply to ]

Lets stop the hypocrisy: all this Armstrong witch hunt for years is not "Anti-Doping, but Anti-Armstrong". Only. Thus, little objectivity and lots of partiality. What is at stake is its legacy in the sport of cycling. Thus, the same standards of "scrutiny" and/or "prosecution" should be applied to all TdF winners. Then, Armstrong would be on equal footing and the "Trial" would be fair. UCI strips him of his 7 TdF? OK, but then also all the TdF of the past winners who tested positive before or after their win ( Merckx, Fignon, Pantani, Ullrich, Pereiro, Contador) or who admitted doping ( Coppi, Anquetil, Thévenet, Rijs). If not, NO.

Re: Daniel Coyle tweet [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

I didn't say he was, if he was I am sure he would be paid more. I am just saying that there are premiums that top athletes will pay for coaching. $100K from Lance to an exclusive coach or $50K from Tiger to a non-exclusive coach doesn't in and of itself raise much suspicion from me.

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [pick6] [ In reply to ]

pick6 wrote:
    53x12 wrote:
    chainpin wrote:

The problem with that is that if Lance admits to doping he will also have to admit to trafficking, which puts him in legal jeopardy.

Then Big George is also in trouble:

35- "In 1996 Customs seized EPO that I had with me when entering the U.S. I told them it was medicine, and I was allowed to retain it."

Federal - 5 years, except in a few circumstances, then it can go up to 7 or 10 years depending. Unless it was related to a DoJ contract while at war, in which case it doesn't start counting until the war is declared over.

John

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]

Another thing everyone skips over is that he failed the bio-passport in '09. Part of the decision includes testimony from a doctor (that we've previously heard from Ashenden and others) that his blood values around the time of the Giro were manipulated. A failed biopassport is a failed drug test. You are banned for 2 years if you fail.

kaclassen wrote:
    apples and oranges, you can't compare. Show my a cycling coach that charges rates like Dr. Ferrari.

Kerry Classen

I don't know why you don't just read the testimony to defend your position on Ferrari. Show me another place where a bag of nuts costs $14. That doesn't mean the ones in the minbar at the Ritz are laced with EPO.

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [chainpin] [ In reply to ]

chainpin wrote:

I haven't looked at the entire report, but legally speaking I see no smoking gun here that is the be all end all definitive irrefutable proof that Lance doped.

Again, legally speaking.

I have read the entire report carefully and about 30% of the supporting documents, and I wish I had cases this strong when I was a trial attorney. To some the only irrefutable proof that exists would be if Lance confesses (actually under US law that in itself is insufficient for a criminal conviction) or if they were physically present when he doped and had absolute proof (and what would that be?) that what was in the syringe was a banned substance.

Last edited by: E=H2O: Oct 11, 12 10:58

saltman wrote:
    Golf coaches aren't a great comparison either as they gain tremendous value just by being a top player's coach. There's no shortage of rich kids with daddies willing to pay $500/hr for Tiger Wood's golf coach. In cycling, not so much.

From NYTimes article (http://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/...able-but-expendable/)

"In fact, creating a brand that raises the coach’s profile and brings average students to the lesson tee — for as much as $500 an hour — is by far the greatest financial benefit of a relationship with a top pro player."

When and for how long was Dr. Ferrari, Lances exclusive coach? This question is really for anybody. Dr. Ferrari coached a lot of athletes over the years Lance was involved with home. I am not sure if there was ever a year that he only coached Lance.

Kerry Classen

Re: 757 [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]

Tri or Die wrote:
    Come on SLOWTWITCH?!?!?!?

1. I am only 757 and I don't have much to say. ST should be able to hit 1000 reply's in 24 hours.

2. I will admit: after reading through some of the report, I felt sick.

3. I burned my first USPS jersey last night in a bonfire. I have more LA stuff, but I am releasing my gear slowly.

4. I wonder what NIKE, TREK, BERRY, SPEEDPLAY, HONEYSTINGER, etc have to say. What does Mellow Johnny & Juan Pelota have to say?

5. Can someone track down and find out if any of LA's sponsors have responded?

better question, WTF are we to do with our SRAM components (and by extension, quarq powermeters)? Isn't Lance an early investor of SRAM?

i won't mind switching to Shitmano or Campy (though it'd be expensive and i won't have a 11-28 cassette), but the quarq PM, well, someone have to pry that thing from my dead, cold hands...

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [E=H2O] [ In reply to ]

E=H2O wrote:
    Dealers and smugglers always get longer sentences than users. You squeeze a user to get the goods on the dealer by offering them a lighter sentence. Nothing new here.

Reading through some of the documents seems like many of these riders got their own EPO even before LA was in the picture. Not sure if you are equating LA as being a dealer vs. Hincapie, CVV, DZ, LL being just users?

pick6 wrote:

Didn't stop USADA from going back into 1990s to strip LA.

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [tranzformer] [ In reply to ]

tranzformer wrote:
    E=H2O wrote:

Reading through some of the documents seems like many of these riders got their own EPO even before LA was in the picture. Not sure if you are equating LA as being a dealer vs. Hincapie, CVV, DZ, LL being just users?

pick6 wrote:

the anti-doping rule states that if you try to cover up your tracks, then there's no statute of limitations
    Last edited by: echappist: Oct 11, 12 11:02

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [Prie0065] [ In reply to ]

What does his guilt or innocence have to do with you enjoying your competition against him? He's famous and a top world class athlete. You don't have to enjoy that moment less because he has been guilty of doping. If Barry Bonds hit a home run off of me, or I struck him out, my moment is no less because he doped. It would still be pretty cool.

Beyond the LA debacle, I'm contantly saddened that we now live in an NCIS/CSI, television reality world where only hi-tech space age forensic proof will ever convict anyone of anything. A jury is told by a judge at the start of a trial very clearly that they are the judges of fact. Juries are to assess among other things the credibility of witnessess and their testimony. To read the accounts of 26 witness, 15 riders, as well as the emails, financial transactions, etc., and then still cling to the need for more high tech proof is crazy in my opinion. But beyone LA its what is seen in countless courtrooms of criminal trials and rapes and such all the time now. Its a shame.

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [tranzformer] [ In reply to ]

tranzformer wrote:
    E=H2O wrote:

pick6 wrote:

Anyone who provided drugs, provided an opportunity or support for their use goes beyond being just a user themselves. The more difficult question is the involvement of many people working in concert to collectively cover up their use. This moves it into the area of a conspiracy, and in the use of illegal drugs, a criminal conspiracy.

Re: USADA/Lance Armstrong File Official Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]

dsmallwood wrote:
    klehner wrote:

A security camera catches a guy walking into the Quickie Mart carrying a gun. It shows him walking out five minutes later with smoke coming out of the barrel of the gun in his hand. The police find Apu inside, dead of a gunshot from the same model of gun.

ha! we all know that mere bullets won't kill Apu Nahasapeemapetilon. he's been shot so many times that the bullets bounce off the fragments of earlier shootings.

Apu: Pardon me, but I would like to see this money spent on more police officers. I have been shot eight times this year, and as a result, I almost missed work.

Apu: Ah. The searing kiss of hot lead; how I missed you. I mean, I think I'm dying.

i think that was the episode in which James Woods was a guest star?

Prev Next