Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get the 5 hole junction box, I think it's just a matter of plugging in the second set of shifters once they become more readily available. If you get the three holer, I think you'd have to swap out the junction box as well....but I think it will be pretty simple to do either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not Dura Ace 7970 di2 instead of Ultegra?

IMHO, it looks better, performs as well if not better, more easily use a different battery, shifters, etc. Depending on components the cost is close depending on where you buy from. You can actually do 7970 for less than Ultegra if using only FD, RD, front harness. Only negative to DA is the thickness of the wires and possibly the level of waterproofing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
So, how challenging would it be to order the Ultegra Di2 setup and install the electronic pursuit shifters once they become available?

You could either get 2 of the lower junctions to mate cables for the areo shifters, brake shifters, and upper controller... or replace the upper controller with the new 5-port version.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread.

I'm a hobbyist electronics guy and been installing car audio systems since. So basically, the only needed parts are the RD, FD, Mount and Battery, right? Then use hook-up wires and push-button switches. Sounds like a great project!
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [koykoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
koykoy wrote:
Great thread.

I'm a hobbyist electronics guy and been installing car audio systems since. So basically, the only needed parts are the RD, FD, Mount and Battery, right? Then use hook-up wires and push-button switches. Sounds like a great project!

You need a "brain" at each end point of the system. You can not wire push button switches into the system without using donor electronics from a set of shifters or shimano button set. There isn't much of a way to do it homestyle cheap unless you are a electrosavant.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, got it. I noticed after reading the posts here and the other threads. I thought it was as simple as giving some voltage to the derailleurs and they instantly move.

Will search for the 7970. I think they are "simpler" in schematics than the Ultegra di2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus if shop around 7970 can be purchased at a competitive price as Ultegra if not cheaper.

I have done one bike Ultegra around 6 months ago and doing a 7970 bike now.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First post here, and first dabble with Di2, so please excuse any ignorance on my part.

I bought a complete Ultegra Di2 upgrade groupset, with the intention of hacking the shifters as per the original post and adding additional Cateye switches onto my base bars. I bought the SW-R671 aero switches to piggy-back onto the internals of the hacked-up levers, but then when I looked carefully at a photo of the complete TT groupset, it appeared as though maybe I didn't need to hack up my shifters at all.

I have subsequently ordered a SM-EW90-A as seen in the top right of the photo above as the gender of the cables was wrong for connecting to the SM-EW67A-E which is for the normal shifters. I am still waiting for a couple of connectors, so haven't tested anything yet, but wanted to pick the collective brains here.

I did a quick dis-assemble of my aero levers, which I am planning to piggy-back some extra wires onto for remote switches, but the internals are pretty tiny!

complete unit

with the cover removed

the micro-switches

Haribo for scale

I am assuming that there must be a CANBUS controller in that tiny little unit or is the controller actually in the SM-EW90-A? Has anyone else taken one apart and been faced with tiny surface-mount components, or accidentally destroyed the unit while opening it up?

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [turboferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you just want to add shift switches to your base bars, my guess is that, based on the diagram posted, you only have to splice the wire between the R671 and the front junction box: grey (common), yellow (up), purple (down). As an alternative, you could also get that beautiful TT brake lever with shift switches.

I might go this route as somebody here is selling a TT Di2 upgrade kit for about $1000 which already includes the R-671 aero switches, maybe $900 without the mechanical brake lever included. But since the included front junction box is the 3-port, might as well do the splice and install some switches near the brake lever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cable between the aero switches and the junction box is only 2 wire, so much already have an encoded signal, so cannot be spliced with a momentary action switch, only something else which already has a CANBUS signal.

The junction box is also available in a 5 port version: SM-EW90-B

3 port version: SM-EW90-A

I'm not particularly keen on the Shimano base levers with switches built in, they're rather bulky, not particularly light, €350, and I already have some very nice carbon levers which I want to use.

Just wondering if anyone had already opened up the aero switches to hack.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh okey, my bad. How about the SW-R600 (or cannibalize this so you can use your cateye basebar switches), though I guess you have to use the 5-port switch and I dont know if the connectors would mate. :-)

[img]http://www.excelsports.com/...imbing%20Shifter.jpg[/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those bar-top switches are the old 4-wire Dura Ace system which was much easier to hack, not the new CANBUS system, so that wouldn't move me any further forward.

Just wondered what I will face inside my aero switches, as if I can avoid cannibalising my drop-bar shifters so that they can go on another bike intact I would like to do so.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some very detailed instructions for soldering remote switches onto the Ultegra Di2 shifter circuit boards:
http://rundtramp.blogspot.se/...egra-di2-remote.html

Given the complexity of the modification, my personal opinion is that you'd be better off mounting a climbing shifter or disassembled TT shifter near the right brake lever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, that's spot on, just what I was looking for!

Many thanks, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I just finished to receive all my ultegra di2 components (including the 5 ports junction box).

Unfortunately, when I connect everything, it won't powered up. Is there any battery inside the SM-EW90-B that I need to charge? What would be the charger ref then?

thanks for the help, you all have been very helpful already :)
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same setup. I connect the bar-end shifters to the 5-port junction, to an internal B junction, and on to the internal SM-BTR2 Battery, front derailleur, and real derailleur. The battery had a low charge, but everything shifted. I fully charged the battery by attaching the i2 SM-BCR2 Charger to the side of the 5-port junction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's my setup right now.

For now, I'm still missing the ST-9071. All I know is all is properly connected but it's not powering up. My first guess would be the issue is coming from the SM-EW90-B but I don't know what and how to confirm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to charge the battery to test if it works. Also check all of the connections and make sure they are completely snapped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlton Bale wrote:
You should be able to charge the battery to test if it works. Also check all of the connections and make sure they are completely snapped.

The battery? SM-BTR1 ? yes, fully charger and verified with a voltmeter.
Is there a battery in the SM-EW90-B? If so, how can I charge it?

All the connections have been verified and inserted until the "click" sound.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you've verified everything properly. There is no battery in the upper junction. Your best bet would be to ise the PC software and adapter to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive. Maybe calling Shimano would help? I'm out of ideas...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI ST 9071 TT is now available in the aftermarket.
Mine are waiting for me at the post office.
Finally....
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question to anyone listening....When fishing harness wires through are you doing so with connectors attached or are you cutting them off and re-splicing?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
footwerx,

Can you tell us where the TT brakes/shifters are available? The on line shops I visit still show as Mid March arrival.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [martins00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Japan at least: http://www.alexscycle.com/...ontrol-shifters.html

I'll wait until they are available in EU so I don't have to pay 100 euros extra for customs.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [bonafide505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonafide505 wrote:
When fishing harness wires through are you doing so with connectors attached or are you cutting them off and re-splicing?

I did all of mine with the connectors attached. The connectors (and internal wires) are so small that I can't imagine a situation where it would make sense to splice.
  • drill a 15/64-inch (6mm) hole
  • tape the cable to a piece of brake cable and run it through
  • use the SM GM01 6mm round grommet

Quote Reply

Prev Next