Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, I now have two levers, both right levers from Ultegra 6870, can I reprogram one of them to serve as a "left" shifter. Since I only be using the black-box from lever.

Is there anyone who has made thier own junctionboxes or just solder the wires togheter?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [dontpanic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure about soldering wires etc. but you can definitely programme the buttons whichever way you want, either with Bluetooth & app or PC-link
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. What do you mean by "black box?"
Every Di2 shifter has a network interface that identifies itself to the CAN bus network and interprets the button clicks and sends the click signals to the network. If every device has a totally unique identifier, it may be possible to configure two same devices to behave differently. Or, the e-tube project SW and CAN bus controller may only recognize one of each type of device and not allow individual configuration of like devices. The only way to know is to test it and see.

2. I would not try to solder cables into a hacked Junction B. A Junction B is only $20 USD; the hack is not worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the "black box" i mean that I will remove the electronics from the lever, the little box that has the ports and two buttons attached to it by a wire. I happen to have two crashed right lever over, I will try it and see :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your high-level objective behind the questions you are asking?

In general, you can use any of the various shift button options individually or with any others. The exception is the SW-R610 sprint shift button which does not contain Di2 electronics and must be connected to a special port on standard brake/shifters. Furthermore, you can individually program the function of each button on a shifter.

What I do not know is whether you can have two of the same components on the Di2 network. For example, you may not be able to have two left SW-R671 button modules in the system. You would have to test it to find out, but my hunch is probably not.

If you wanted to, you could break down SW-R671 and wire it to custom buttons on each bullhorn. Then, you could program those buttons to shift the RD up and down. That would require Synchro mode, but it would work. Similarly, you could break down a pair of SW-R671 buttons and wire them to custom buttons on the bullhorns and program the buttons to shift the FD and RD up and down as you like. Then, you could use a different button type on the extensions, like the new SW-R9160 buttons. Or, you could do the above tear-down with SW-R600 buttons for the bullhorns and then use unmodified SW-R671 buttons for the extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal is to use some buttons I already built for another bike, I connected these to the right levers sprint shifter ports. Since I do not use my front shifter that often I figure I just place the small box/buttons from the "left" lever (if I can reprogram it) on the handlebar somewhere.

I guess I can try it since I already have two right levers, but i guess it might not work.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carlton Bale wrote:
scharebear wrote:
Have joined the forum just to ask this question. Do you think/know if this will work? I have Cervelo S5 with Ultegra Di2 STI shifters and have clipped-on aero bars and want to get shift buttons on aero extensions. Am thinking about splicing the Cateye remote buttons to an extra Shimano e-wire (cutting off one plug end) and plugging other end into second "input" on STI shifters. Thanks.

What you're describing won't work because an encoded signal needs to be sent to the input on the STI shifter. The cateye buttons by themselves won't do this.

One option would be to splice into the wires leading from the contact switches inside your brake levers; the wires are how the internal switches connect to the circuit that sends the encoded shift commands. This would be the cheapest option, but you'll need to open up your existing levers. You would use standard wires, not "Shimano e-wire." Space within the lever and routing of the additional wires to the aero bars may be difficult.

The second option would be to buy an new set of Ultegra Di2 brake levers, remove the circuit board, connect the Cateye buttons to those leads, and then connect the circuit board to the second input on the existing brake levers using a Shimano e-wire. In this setup, the new circuit board would send the encoded shift commands for the aero bar buttons and the cateye buttons would be the inputs. The existing levers would continue to use their own circuit board to send shift commands.

Here's a picture of the circuit "black box" and 3 wires that you will need to either splice into (option 1 - existing levers) or add (option 2 - dismantle new levers)

Is that kind of stuff doable with etap? that would result in a no blipbox setup?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ThyTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThyTri wrote:
Carlton Bale wrote:
scharebear wrote:
Have joined the forum just to ask this question. Do you think/know if this will work? I have Cervelo S5 with Ultegra Di2 STI shifters and have clipped-on aero bars and want to get shift buttons on aero extensions. Am thinking about splicing the Cateye remote buttons to an extra Shimano e-wire (cutting off one plug end) and plugging other end into second "input" on STI shifters. Thanks.

What you're describing won't work because an encoded signal needs to be sent to the input on the STI shifter. The cateye buttons by themselves won't do this.

True, except for the 3rd (bottom) port on all Di2 rim brake levers. These will just take a simple button/switch.

Since you have 6870 shifters, you could give it a shot :).

Alternatively, yeah.. you'd cut up an existing Di2 satellite shifter and solder your new buttons onto that: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...php?f=3&t=151321

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next