Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before you do anything...Are you using Dura Ace Di2 or Ultegra Ui2? They function differently.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I thought maybe I would be sending input to STI "black box" to be encoded by the circuit board there.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [locutus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest source of confusion for me is the battery charger. I'm building a 1x10 dura ace system and am using a hyperion battery.

What charger are you using?

Scott
Quote Reply
Scott Plasma 3 Ultegra Di2 Hack with Extension Mounted Rockers [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have finished building up my Scott Plasma 3 TT bike with Ultegra Di2 and I'm really pleased with the results. Many thanks to Locutus, YahamaFX1 and others for their support and advice. I managed to get a great deal on a new 2011 Plasma 3 and went with the Ultegra upgrade requiring only shifters and derailleurs. I'm still running my old Shimano 6601 crank with Q rings and works great. For the "find" of the project, I managed to locate some really sweet rocker momentary (mom on -off- mom on) switches that fit perfectly into the ends of my HED extensions. With this setup I needed only two switches, instead of four, to mount in the extensions and I don't need to press, but rather just rock the switches forward or back to switch gears. Also, the Plasma 3 has a neat little opening above the bottom bracket covered by a metal plate. I drilled out the plate and ran my FD wires and Control box through the modified hole and mounted the control box on top of the bottom bracket. I have an internal battery and full internal cable routing, with only minimal cables and wires exposed in the back of my HED corsair bars. I bought Cateye switches to give me shifting control on the horns, but have not yet installed them. For now I like the clean look of this setup and for the events I ride I think they will have little real benefit. I'll see how it goes and if I decide on them it may be my winter project.

I'll post some pics below.

Last edited by: Dkblume: Jul 4, 12 4:56
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Ultegra Di2 Hack with Extension Mounted Rockers [Dkblume] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some more pics of my Scott Plasma 3 TT Project:

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Ultegra Di2 Hack with Extension Mounted Rockers [Dkblume] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dkblume: Your bike looks amazing, especially with the near invisible Di2 install. Those toggle switches look better than anything Shimano might come out with. Do you have any details on them (brand, part #, where to buy)?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Ultegra Di2 Hack with Extension Mounted Rockers [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carlton, Thanks. Yes, I feel like I got pretty lucky with these switches. In my opinion they make the build. I did a lot of searching and think these are a great choice for this application. They are fully sealed and high quality. Not cheap ($50/ea), but ideal for the application. I bought them at Digikey.com. I did not use the mounting hardware, but simply rolled electrical tape around the threads, reversed the tape halfway so the "sticky" side was exposed and wedged them into the bar ends like bar end plugs. They come with the rubber "seal" rings shown below, but the fit is so good, I just put a little silicone on the bar ends to form a seal. The Switches are rated waterproof/dustproof and I soldered the wires and sealed the connections, so I am not concerned about exposure to the elements.

http://www.digikey.com/...t-detail/en/MTG72AD2

http://www.apem.com/pdf/MT.pdf
Last edited by: Dkblume: Jul 4, 12 5:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Dkblume,
That is a beautiful assembly ;) I also own this bike and I'd like to make the same.
I have a question :
I would like to know how you do to pass the cable di 2 through the fork?
I know the scott plasma TT (only for Di2) have a hole in the fork to pass the cable but the Premium don't have it...
an other question :
have you removed the cable guide?
Please help me ;)
best regards
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Ultegra Di2 Hack with Extension Mounted Rockers [hussard29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'd be happy to try to help you. I ran both the rear brake cable and the shifter wires through the fork. In my build, I used Ultegra shifter modules, which I mounted in the frame near the BB. As such, I ran six wires through the frame and fork. The key here is that you must drill two holes in the fork. One is in the rear of the fork and the other is just below, or even an extension of the existing front hole for the metal post that is used for the stem preload screw. For the hole at the rear of the fork, there is a white sticker/label which is where the hole should be drilled. You'll need to be careful in drilling these out, but the steerer tube is a much thicker steerer tube, so these holes can be made.If you send me your email, I can send you some photos taken by another slowtwitch member showing these hole drillings.

As others on this thread have described, I used a hobby knife to cut slits in the cable guides to run the rear brake cable and to run the Di2 cable to the rear derailleur.
Last edited by: Dkblume: Jul 28, 12 14:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for your quickly answer...
I'd like to have some pictures showing this hole drilling.
You can send at hussard29@yahoo.fr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi locutus
Why is it required with the connection box from the sti 6770?
Can't i just solder the wires from the Sm-ew67?
Or is there any components which is needed for the can bus to indicate left and right shifters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All!

Here's how I did my setup.
http://rundtramp.blogspot.se/...egra-di2-remote.html
It is inspired by all previous posts, but slight variant.

Have a nice day!
/Richard, from Sweden
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Rikko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a very technical and beautiful build - enjoyed reading your blog.
Don't think I quite have the sodering skills, fortunately a true 'Ultegra TT Di2' is coming out after the show :)

Want to try and convert my Foil to Di2 so I'm soaking in all the tips I can find.

Trying to find that old 60 min / 40k tt split!
http://www.supergosam.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That may be the most "complete" bike I have ever seen on here!

Beautiful.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
locutus,
thanks for sharing this diy.
i built my bike with cateyes and da brake lever/shifters based off your schematics.
my question is:
have you had any rear der shifting issues?
mine would shift back a few gears after i press the shift button and would sometimes not shift all the way to the largest cog.
i have a compact crank and 11-28 ultegra 6700.
any comments/suggestions?
has anyone else had this happen?
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now with the new 9070 DA setup, can we just plug in the sw-r671 into the-ew67?

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2012_08_Shimano_Ultegra_Di2_TT&mp=all
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [timmins02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the latest news regarding Ultegra Di2 TT shifters to come out of interbike? Can we at least use the DA shifters on the newest Ultegra derailers?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [zacarter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest news is linked in the post previous to yours. Ultegra TT bar-end shifters available soon. Next year for brake levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Major thanks to loctus and the other contributors in this thread. This is fantastic stuff.

I am going to go ahead and add electronic shifting to my P2.

It would seem that the best approach for hiding the battery and other electronics is in the seat post, under the saddle and bike frame under the seat post.

My plan is to put regular, off the shelve, switches on aero bars and on pursuit bars and wire them all the way back to the seat post inside the frame. Then put the electronics, STI box, in the bike frame under the seat post. Purchase a replacement battery and put it in the seat post. Drill a hole in the seat post and put the battery mount box under the seat so that I can connect here to recharge the battery.

I really need to do this because I don't have any place in my aero bars to conceal electronics. I don't see any reason why this approach would not work but curious if you see any reason why I could not take this approach.

In more detail:

Purchase momentary switch and mount on aero bars and on vision brake levers. Wire inside aero bars and then into P2 frame in the top tube all switch wires (this would be my own wire). This would be longer runs then what you have to the STI box as my electronics will be under the seat post. Splice here into the STI box. Then wire from the STI box up to the battery mount SM-BMR1 which is under the saddle. Then wire from the SM-BMR1 to the battery that is in seat post. Then wire straight down from the saddle to the FD and to the RD.

This would seem to be very clean. First concern is the momentary switches being so far from the STI box. Second concern is I am not exactly sure of the wiring from battery mount, battery and FD and RD so not sure if that is too many wires through the seat post. Alternative would be to not have anything under the saddle but instead have everything in the seat post and bike frame. It would then require me to remove the seat to charge the battery. Which might not be that big of an issue.

Appreciate any input.
Last edited by: bartturner: Sep 29, 12 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. A lot of 2013 tt bike features Ultegra Di2 derailleurs with both DA Di2 brake levers and shifters. So, does it mean that a cable makes that possible ????

http://www.culturevelo.com/...loha_Ultegra_Di2.jpg
Last edited by: tripot: Oct 6, 12 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [tripot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripot wrote:
I don't get it. A lot of 2013 tt bike features Ultegra Di2 derailleurs with both DA Di2 brake levers and shifters. So, does it mean that a cable makes that possible ????

http://www.culturevelo.com/...loha_Ultegra_Di2.jpg

Yah, they call it the eTube system. The new DA Di2 is totally compatible with the Ultegra DI2.

So you could have a Ultegra rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur and DA TT shifters/brakes. They all plug into a junction box through their eTube wires.

Later on you could switch out your Ultegra rear derailleur with a DA one and the system would be just fine.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are all the new TT bikes with DA di2 and Ultegra Di2 TT buttons from shimano new versions of the tt buttons or is it the old ones?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything that works with integrate Di2 components is the new stuff. Ultegra is only available in the eTube system (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next