Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [locutus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Locutus,
Thanks for this DIY.
I followed your schematics and used DA brake shifters with Cateye remotes on the aerobars.
Is there anything special I need to do with the wiring?
I soldered the Cateye wires directly o the STI and DA wires.
Everything works but the rear der is shifting erratically.
When I shift under load, it would shift then jump back a few cogs.
Is this because I didn't use the extra thick gage wires to connect the cateyes to the other wires?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [jamijam2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, I would try making sure there are no shorts anywhere in the connections. Try re-soldering your joints....use shrink wrap tubing if possible. Let me know if you are still having problems afterwards. Also, post pictures of your final project!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks!
I will re-solder and post some pics.
What's the best way to do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello
I found this great thread while googling for more info on ultegra di2 which I am planning purchase soon. Just need a couple clarifications.
1. What is the type of plugs I need to make my own EW-SD50 wires? I have seen several plugs on market - just need to be sure that I get the correct plugs.
2. How should I solder the wires if I am not using the SM-JC41 junction box? Can I solder all four negatives together and then do the same with all four positives?

Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [silverblack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen several Ultegra Di2 bar end shifters for sale recently. They are about the same price as a pair of road brake levers, so there is no need to do the conversion now. Still waiting for Ultegra TT brake levers...
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carlton, I to am in the process of getting the Ultegra Di2 system put together for my Trek SC and just wanted to confirm with you that with the new Ultegra TT bar end shifters there is no need for getting the electronics out of the STI levers. It sounds like you are saying that the electronics for the canbus are already in these new shifters, could you please confirm that. thank you, Glen
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gralden wrote:
Carlton, I to am in the process of getting the Ultegra Di2 system put together for my Trek SC and just wanted to confirm with you that with the new Ultegra TT bar end shifters there is no need for getting the electronics out of the STI levers. It sounds like you are saying that the electronics for the canbus are already in these new shifters, could you please confirm that. thank you, Glen

You are correct. Note, from the other thread, that you will have to use a junction box JC40 (or splice the wires) between the front junction box EW67 and the R671 shifters. EW67 and R671 both terminate into female ends and won't directly plug together.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
gralden wrote:

You are correct. Note, from the other thread, that you will have to use a junction box JC40 (or splice the wires) between the front junction box EW67 and the R671 shifters. EW67 and R671 both terminate into female ends and won't directly plug together.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I've been holding out for a complete TT kit, but haven't seen one. I'll probably buy a road kit and sell the levers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
locutus wrote:
the wiring for the internal battery to the external battery mount under the seat:

locutus, can you provide more detail on the seat post modification? It looks like you drilled a hole in the side, installed a Shimano grommet, and routed a wire out to under the seat? Is the battery inside the seat post or under the seat? Any additional details you can provide on how to do this and the battery used would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello every body.
First, sorry for my English, I'm French.
I hope someone can help me.

I try to connect Cateye remote on a Ultegra Di2...
I connect my remote to the blackbox. it doesn't work... But I try something else. I connect the black box directly to the remote, without using cat eye wire... It works...

Someone already had this problem? Are cateye's wire bad? any solution?
I can test with an other wire between the blackbox and the remote, but I'm afraid about the sealing of the button...

thanks for your help...

Maël
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [mamel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had similar issues with the cateye wires. i found them so thin that it key to get enough contact and wire together and solder carefully.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it required that the R671 bar-end shifters (or ST-6770 shifters) be routed through the SM-EW67 controller? Or can they be located on different "branches" and coupled together at the bottom bracket? As I understand the system, the EW67 does not intercept/interpret commands from the shifters and pass them to the front derailleur but rather the shift command can be sent directly from the shifters to the main controller in the front derailleur. But I'm not certain of this.

The reason I'm asking is because I would like to relocate the EW67 to under the seat and run as few wires as possible. So I would wire the shift buttons directly to a junction box (SM-JC41) near the bottom bracket area, locate the EW67 under the seat, and run a single cable from the EW67 down the seat post to the same junction box at the bottom bracket. The two "input wires" of the EW67 would not be used in this situation. (This would probably require 2 junction boxes near the BB.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought those following this thread might be interested to know Shimano is now shipping several new Ultegra Di2 compatible parts. They make internal installations a bit cleaner/easier.

Shimano Dura Ace Di2 SM-BTR2 Internal Battery Pack - this is a round battery with an integrated charging control board. It fits inside most round seat posts. Snap rings are included for securing it into compatible hardware.

Shimano SM-EW90-B Junction - This front (A) junction straps under the stem and has 5 ports: 2 for brake-mount shifters and 2 for TT shifters, and a 5th to go to the B Junction. There is also a charging port for the internal battery. It includes ANT+ capability to broadcast gear selection and battery status to a compatible device (only the Shimano FlightDeck computer at this point; hopefully Garmin will add support)

Shimano SM-EW90-A Junction - This is a smaller version of the front (A) junction that has only 3 ports and no ANT+. This would be used with only 1 set of shifters, or with TT shifters daisy-chained into the open port on the brake lever shifters. It also has the charging port.
http://imgur.com/Tg0nEiM

Shimano Dura Ace Di2 SM-BCR2 Charger for SM-BTR2 - this charger has a USB plug on the input side. The output plug connects to a port behind a flap on the front A junction. This only charges the new internal battery, not the older external battery as it doesn't include the charging control circuity.
http://imgur.com/soA25af
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also be interested to know how you extended the battery wire to the top of the seat post...is this a Shimano wire or did you use some other type of wire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlton Bale wrote:
locutus wrote:
the wiring for the internal battery to the external battery mount under the seat:

locutus, can you provide more detail on the seat post modification? It looks like you drilled a hole in the side, installed a Shimano grommet, and routed a wire out to under the seat? Is the battery inside the seat post or under the seat? Any additional details you can provide on how to do this and the battery used would be appreciated.

I found out that the battery was mounted inside the seatpost in the battery mount adapter was attached to the seat. This was done as opposed to cutting down the battery mount. So there are 2 wires, the standard Shimano wire from the junction to the battery mount, and a second custom wire running back from the mount to the third-party battery in the seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea where you can buy these?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the battery, charger, and 5-port junction from http://www.bike24.net/ in Germany and they have shipped. Prices were below MSRP. TwoHubs.com has the battery, charger, and 3-port junction in stock; prices weren't as favorable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great, thanks for the heads up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to get a partial set of Ultegra Di2 last summer and planned to put it on my road bike (but haven't done so yet). I pretty much have shifters (road), the derailleurs and the battery. My plan was to order the cables, the front junction, the rear junction and the battery mount. Now I am thinking about putting this on my tri bike instead. I know I need the new TT shifters (SW-R671). If I buy the SM-EW90 junction (either one), do I still need the 'road' front junction (SM-EW67-A-E)? Or does this new front TT junction replace the 'road' one?

Also, it seems like the TT shifters all say '11 speed' when I see them for sale online. I have a 10spd rear derailleur (and everything I own is 10spd, so I'm not planning on switching). It appears as if there is a way to switch between 11spd and 10spd via some kind of software adjustment....do I need to buy the 'computer' that Shimano has for sale in order to do this?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All 3 of the front junctions are interchangable. The 2 new ones are "Dura ace" but work with Ultegra.

Same for the shifters: they work with either. They just send up/down shift commands; the deraileur determines the number of available gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks that is helpful. I interpret to mean that you can harvess the little black boxes out of the Ultegra Di2 shifters (6770 STI) and do a Dura Ace 9070 setup. If you wanted to you could then use Dura Ace 7970 shifters with 9070. Not sure why you would want to.

Sure would be nice if Shimano would give us a cheaper solution to get from Momentary switches to CanBus.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bartturner wrote:
If you wanted to you could then use Dura Ace 7970 shifters with 9070.

The older 4-wire Dura-Ace 7970 is not cross-compabile. Ultegra 7970 and Dura-ace 9070 2-wire (e-wire) are interchangeable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realize they are not compatible off the shelve. But as this is a DIY thread if you harvest the little black boxes out of the 6770 STI you can make the 7000 series dura ace shifters work. Not sure if you would want to do that. Personally, for this go around I am using DA 7000 series versus the first time I used Ultegra. BTW, the DA 7000 Di2 is on pretty significant sale as they move to the new generation. I was able to purchase everything for a less than Ultegra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlton Bale wrote:
bartturner wrote:
If you wanted to you could then use Dura Ace 7970 shifters with 9070.

The older 4-wire Dura-Ace 7970 is not cross-compabile. Ultegra 7970 and Dura-ace 9070 2-wire (e-wire) are interchangeable.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new TT bike. I want Ultegra Di2 TT, but as I understand it, the pursuit shifting isn't available.

So, how challenging would it be to order the Ultegra Di2 setup and install the electronic pursuit shifters once they become available?

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder about using the remote climbing buttons, SW R600, on the base bar.
Quote Reply

Prev Next