Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ziggys101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggys101 wrote:
Yes its as simple as that and the cable will be long enough unless your extensions are huge :-)
Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by: kornfake: Jun 24, 14 2:55
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [kornfake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just about done retrofitting my S5.

Having a hell of a time getting the cateye buttons to behave. 2 out of 3 sets don't respond consistently. Going to try cutting the wires closer to the button itself and using something a little more stout, but I may have to resort to something different.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [steve.strong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to install the di2 internal battery in the aerobar extensions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [20speedyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for the bump guys, I've read almost all of this thread and numerous other threads and before I bite the bullet and start ordering in parts I wanted to clarify some stuff.
Plan on getting ultegra di2 for my P5 with maguras. I want to be able to rear shift from the brakes as well as from the extensions.
So am I right in saying for the front end I need

2 R671s for the extensions (obviously)
5 port hub
di2 climbing shifter
cateye switches to help get the climbing shifters down in size
I have read about getting an extra junction in order to extend the reach of the climbing switch from the stem based hub to reach to the brake, is this the case?

Any up to date advice on this would be much appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Ultegra Di2 Hack with Extension Mounted Rockers [Prospero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
could you send me the pics too rcyachtie@hotmail.com
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [Telemachus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi will it work is if I solder the r-671 straight to the ew-67-e junction?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ziggys101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally found time to solder wires to the PCB of a SW-R600. Could have used better eyesight and steadier hands, but what can you do. Once I figured out how to connect these to the Cateye switches I got off Ebay everything was fine. The red and black wire goes to the middle wire in each of the switches. The blue goes to the combined outer wires from both switches. Smooth shifting and still recognized as a R600 in the E-Tube software. Next up is protection and final wiring.

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few layers of PRF 202 plastic spray on the PCB for protection. Waiting for some self vulcanizing tape to cover it. Otherwise just a lot of wire splicing, not so waterproof, I suppose, but should be splash proof. Hopefully good enough. Retested today, works like a charm. Will put switches under base bar brake levers, I think, PCB inside aerobar.

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [aidan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aidan77 wrote:
Hi will it work is if I solder the r-671 straight to the ew-67-e junction?

you could, but really, there's an easier solution: connect the two pieces using a JC-41. That's what i previous did.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. ok so ive connected the r671 to the ew-67-e using the jc-41 and I have 6770 deraileurs and an external battery but the shifters wont shift the derailleurs, when i connect sti 6770 shifters to the srt up it all works but the r671 dont seem to work, Ive read that people have just plugged and played with the r671 but not for me, if it matters the r671 came from japan via ebay..

any advice? how do I connect to pci unit when using the ew-67-e and the r671??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aidan77 wrote:
Hi. ok so ive connected the r671 to the ew-67-e using the jc-41 and I have 6770 deraileurs and an external battery but the shifters wont shift the derailleurs, when i connect sti 6770 shifters to the srt up it all works but the r671 dont seem to work, Ive read that people have just plugged and played with the r671 but not for me, if it matters the r671 came from japan via ebay..

any advice? how do I connect to pci unit when using the ew-67-e and the r671??

what your current set up again and what was the previous setup? in particular, how many shifter units in each? how are they connected to a controlling junction (be it EW67 or EW90), and how is it connected to the rear JC-41 (to battery, FD, and RD)?

there could be a firmware compatibility issue btwn all the various pieces

also, by PCI, do you mean PCI-E, the PC interface that sets up the the firmware? if so, i think the interface plugs into an open port/wire; usually people disconnect the wire to the RD and connect that to the PCI-E (don't quote me on it). here may be something informative re: my old set up. also, one doesn't necessarily need the PCI-E if you have the internal battery charger

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_engine#4928130
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, it is my tri bike and i have r671 for shifters (no brake lever shifters, connected to ew-67-e via a jc-41, then I have 6770 FD and RD and external battery connected to the ew-67-e by connecting and solder wires together inside the frame, and seal. everything up to the ew-67-e works fine as ew-67-e lights up green when battery is connected and when I connect the ew-67-e to the 6770 sti shifters on my road bike it all shifts perfect... r671 are new and all other parts are 2nd hand .. My understanding is a firmware problem but Im not familiar with preforming the firmware update and the process
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could very possibly be firmware compatibility issue. if you are in the DC area, i'd be happy to help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have an internal battery then I believe you need to change your a-junction out for a ew-90 3 or 5 port in order to work. here is an excellent resource for everything di2:

http://carltonbale.com/...ng-you-need-to-know/

edit: just noticed you said you have external battery. probably firmware update issue then
Last edited by: ChrisT: Nov 8, 15 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stuffed everything inside base bar in the end, switches behind brake levers, covered and held in place with ODI rubber grips over the oval base Cateye switch protector. One on each side and used for rear switching only. Regular Shimano TT-switches on aerobars.

Feels solid and works a charm. I really like these, 3-finger brake, 1-finger switching is possible and I can keep 1 finger in front of the switch, if needed.

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One person on this thread a year or two ago talked about building a micro or Arduino board to do fancier shifting. Does anyone know of any examples of any non-Shimano micros attached to 6870/9070 di2? Or software hacks to the Shimano di2? Or discovery of the di2 hardware protocol? My initial tests show a 1Mhz signal about 0.75 volts, varying amplitude and duration. Not sure yet if it is amplitude modulated, time modulated, or much tighter frequency control than I would initially expect and different frequency per sender.

My plan is to build a pseudo-sequential shift where shifting the front also shifts the rear a programmable number of times. I can do this with just a hack micro and a soldering iron (and a bit more ...), but it would be easier to attach if I had a decode of the protocol.

Or I could just switch to EPS and use shiftAssist ...

Michael Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [carhillclimb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,
Read through all 13 pages and there’s a lot of great info from you guys.
I’m years behind the trend, but I am finally taking my 1x10 (maybe 11) bike to Di2, I was just about to buy an EW90-A to plug a climbing switch into, but I came across a EW-RS910 bar end junction and wondered if this was going to work as an ‘A’ junction?
As I only have the one shifter (SW-R600) to connect to the junction then wire back to the B.B. junction.

You shouldn't let a girlfriend have any say on a bike build for her. If she loves you she'll love the bike. If it's all about the bike, then you're just a supplier. The same is true of engagement rings.
- Retro Grouch -
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [alex jb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex jb wrote:
Hi folks,
Read through all 13 pages and there’s a lot of great info from you guys.
I’m years behind the trend, but I am finally taking my 1x10 (maybe 11) bike to Di2, I was just about to buy an EW90-A to plug a climbing switch into, but I came across a EW-RS910 bar end junction and wondered if this was going to work as an ‘A’ junction?
As I only have the one shifter (SW-R600) to connect to the junction then wire back to the B.B. junction.

Yes, the 910 works as an Ajunction box, but it only has 2 ports.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks.

As I am 1x10, 2 ports will be fine. I only have one signal line in and one wire out to the bottom bracket junction

You shouldn't let a girlfriend have any say on a bike build for her. If she loves you she'll love the bike. If it's all about the bike, then you're just a supplier. The same is true of engagement rings.
- Retro Grouch -
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Iam looking to set up my Cervelo P2 with di2. So far I have a rear derailleur Ultegra 6870. I am looking at the cheapest build possible and have some solder and electronic knowledge. Is there any other way to connect all together than buying the di2 levers and use the "black box"?

I might get hold of this shifters pretty cheap (Di2 Sw-R671) https://www.bike24.com/p235016.html, but as I understand they are just "dumb" shifters also, you can't use this to replace the black box in the levers?

If not is this setup going to work, anything I missing?

Ultegra 6870 rear derailleur
Ultegra 6870 front derailleur
Ultegra 6870 levers right/left
Battery Di2 BT-Dn110
5-port junction box Di2 SM-Ew90-B
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Ultegra Di2 TT [dontpanic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use the SW-R671 extension buttons by themselves. You will need a bunch of long wires if you are not planning to use a Junction B in the bottom bracket area. If it were me, I would use a 3 port A up front and then a Junction B with shorter wires at the back end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plus 1 to what @exviii said. I have almost the same set-up, except on 10-speed 6770 stuff.

btw, you can get away with running just a EW90 3 port.

Personally, i don't think bullhorn shifter for the front is necessary, and I tried running plugging in a climbing switch (RW600); however, that this is really bulky, and I quickly got rid of it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't plan on getting a Bluetooth wireless unit (EW-WU111 or EW-WU101) or want to use syncroshift then get a BTR2 battery instead of a DN110 battery. Plenty of used ones out there for half the price of a new DN110.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jul 25, 18 18:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, really helpful! Is there any hack i can use if I want bullhorn shifters when using just DI2 SW-R671?

If not, can you combine DI2 SW-R671 and the black box from a just right shifter and make my own bullhorn-shifters with DIY buttons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, make you're own shifter.

I bought a 'broken' sti shifter off ebay for £10, it was in fine working order, just needed a software update. I then removed the actual switch element from the lever and the junction box from the lever body. As there are two ports on this it works like an in-line switch meaning that you don't need an extra port on your junction box - keep using your 3-port JA.

I filed down the junction to fit in the base bar by the lever with sufficient space to run the brake housing past it, fed the switch through the holed in the base bar then used some Sugru (puttly-like glue) to mount the switch next to the brake. I used some more Sugru and rubber from the brake hoods to make a smoother transition around the switch body and create some more prominent buttons. Finally I used some heat shrink grip over the top to weather-proof/hide it.

It works just fine and is programmed just to shift the rear mech. It requires a firm press of the buttons, in hindsight I could have don't a better job creating the actual buttons. But, it works fine, is pretty sleek and only cost about £15 in total.
Quote Reply

Prev Next