Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
I didn't really have any problems with my hands bumping the computer, at least not hard enough to knock it off the mount. I bumped the touch screen a couple times, but that's it.

Thanks for the pic my friend! I am going to pick up a mount after work today and set it up just like yours! I am also going to make an "aftermarket" bracket so I can better secure my Xlab cage onto the bike and eliminate zip ties. They don't make a barfly specific to the Node 2, so I'm going to get the Profile designs "universal" mount and use that. I also forgot to mention that green you were talking about was vinyl work I did for the bike. It took me 5.5 hours to make everything green on the bike. I think it looks good thought!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also forgot to mention that green you were talking about was vinyl work I did for the bike. It took me 5.5 hours to make everything green on the bike. I think it looks good thought!

It looks great. Nice work.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Carl-

Got a call from my LBS stating there was an 9 day delay on my frame order yesterday... It was just a generic 9 series frame, not P1. Any ideas what caused the delay? My original ship date was supposed to be June 11th...

Well that is interesting. After being informed that there was a 9 day delay on my frame (Original Ship Date was June 11th), and even showing that as of Monday it was supposed to ship on the 20th, I got a call from my shop that my bike will arrive tomorrow. The only thing that sucks now is I have to wait for my 9070 group to get here from Shimano/Amazon/Wiggle since a few things were out of stock from Shimano directly.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/10/photos/photos-dirk-bockels-trek-speed-concept_85967

Does Dirk Bockel have a special spacer for the bars or is that a proprietary part just for him? His bar set up looks especially low. also there looks to be some sort of angled shims between the pads and the pad mount to angle them towards the rider, rather than just angling the whole aerobar setup. Are these all special one off components?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [reefman77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
our race shop does make some parts to order for our sponsored athletes, yes .

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a barfly set up in the same way and it works great with my Garmin 800.

I tried the Profile Designs Universal Computer Mount, and it didn't work very well for me. It only attaches "softly" - lots of wiggle. I ended up putting two holes in the free end so that I could loop a zip tie through it to attach to the other side of the mono bar. Even then it was soft. If I couldn't use the barfly ( or a kedge equivalent) I'd make my own version of the Profile UCM out of PVC tube, cutting it to the right size then carving semi-circular grooves into each end to fit tightly over the extensions. Probably would still require zip ties though. I guess some bar tape could hide it.

Harry
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [xthulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xthulu wrote:
I have a barfly set up in the same way and it works great with my Garmin 800.

I tried the Profile Designs Universal Computer Mount, and it didn't work very well for me. It only attaches "softly" - lots of wiggle. I ended up putting two holes in the free end so that I could loop a zip tie through it to attach to the other side of the mono bar. Even then it was soft. If I couldn't use the barfly ( or a kedge equivalent) I'd make my own version of the Profile UCM out of PVC tube, cutting it to the right size then carving semi-circular grooves into each end to fit tightly over the extensions. Probably would still require zip ties though. I guess some bar tape could hide it.

Harry

Thanks for the info Harry. I read this just now after buying the UCM and I ran into the same issues. However I cam up with a solution that is solid and its not going anywhere. To eliminate the movement in the mount just take some 3m electrical tape and wrap it at the location you want the mount until its solid. Fortunately for me the area where the bar tape ends was the right diameter for this. The mount doesn't move. Then I had the issue of my node mount being WAY too big for the UCM. So again I resorted to using the 3m tape and wrapping it until the mount fit snugly. So in the end it's a very clean set up and it's not going anywhere. I'll post a pic later. I'm also in the process of making my own bracket for fitting a standard cage for a BTA solution.

Erik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the black and lime green!

I went for my fitting today and wound up getting a small. I am looking forward to this bike. Just got ordered today!!

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Tri_Geek_40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Geek_40-44 wrote:
Love the black and lime green!

I went for my fitting today and wound up getting a small. I am looking forward to this bike. Just got ordered today!!

Thanks tri_geek!! This bike is a rocket!!

Ok guys I finally finished my "custom" bracket in order to use my gorilla cage. I used the vinyl that I used on the rest of my bike to make it look pretty. And I got my computer mounted.

Last edited by: Speed Concept: Jun 13, 14 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great! Nice and clean.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [xthulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xthulu wrote:

Thank you! I think I have more bolts, washers, spacers, and nuts for the bracket/cage than the entire rest of the cockpit haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My TT bike just got built. Just need to have the shop bring the extensions closer one setting (need to cut housing to do that, so I don't want to jank it up) and then wrap the bars up with some grippy tape.

Is there an easy way to narrow the front brakes for a H3? Currently it doesn't even touch the brake track. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Carl,
a quick question: I recently changed the brake levers in my SC9.5 and replaced them with the RXXXL, now it seems that the cable inside the base bar vibrates a lot making lots of noise inside the the handlebar. Is this normal? What's the best way to correct this?
Best regards,

LFH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept wrote:
xthulu wrote:

Thank you! I think I have more bolts, washers, spacers, and nuts for the bracket/cage than the entire rest of the cockpit haha.
When you put a bottle in the cage is it higher than your forearms?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
Speed Concept wrote:
xthulu wrote:

When you put a bottle in the cage is it higher than your forearms?

I checked that in the mirror and I didn't notice that. I'll double check and confirm that for you later this evening!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [luife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the brake housing is just the right length to be near or resting lightly on the inside of the bar...add road vibration, and it's going to rattle. You can either try changing the length of the housing inside the bar (might be better to go for more vs less...the idea being to make sure the housing is pressed up against the inner walls of the bar without slack or room to move), or try insulating the housing you've got with zipties or small O-rings or lengths of wire insulation...all of which can be found at any hardware store.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good. What bar computer mount is that?

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you meant to ask Speed Concept, not me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, no worries. Just wanted to make sure you get your question answered. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl- my frame arrived today (kind of excited) but the bento box on the top tube and the BTA bottle didn't show up. When I ordered them in early May they said they were in stock but now there is no word on when they will come. Any ideas why they wouldn't have pulled it when I placed the order?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I can only see leadtimes for new orders in the US, P1 or stock...I have no direct visibility into existing orders, sorry...your LBS does, through their rep.
Is there someone inside Trek who looks at both, i.e. the initially projected leadtimes and the actual delivery dates, and revises them to make sure they match up for future orders? It's just that today is the day before my frameset was supposed to ship, just a few days ago I was still being told it would ship on the 19th June, but I received a phone call today saying the shop now won't have it till the 14th July. I'm paying £500 per TT to have the use of the bike this season, but the delay means I won't have it for 3 absolutely key events (so the cost is now up to £750 per TT for the TTs I'm currently expected to have it for), which is really frustrating as combined with the Sigma stem recall I'm having to race on my training bike at the moment which makes it barely worth competing at all. It just seems that EVERYONE gets told at the last minute that their bike/frameset has been delayed, so you'd think someone would be able to see this and feed it back into generating better initial projections. FWIW the two previous SC framesets I've bought both arrived on time, this problem only seems to have started in the last year or so based on people I know who have bought them and what has been posted on here.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. Several possibilities, but my best guess is that "in stock" may have been very limited quantities. That's a popular pair of accessories, and right around that time (early May) I started getting leadtime questions related to them being out of stock. When quantities are really limited (say, less than 10), they can run out in a matter of minutes depending on order volume at any given point in that day. Now imagine all the places where a few minutes of lag time might creep in between the dealer checking a box on your order, and that same order actually hitting the floor in the P1 shop.

For new domestic orders (i.e. placed today in the US) the cage is currently showing August availability, and the Speedbox2 is showing about this time next week. Backorders get filled first, and for all I know that's actually happening as I write this. Been known to happen.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that Steve.

Yes, leadtime projections are updated regularly and actual delivery dates of previous orders do play a part in that...but the factor which probably plays the largest part in on-time performance is actual on-the-shelf availability of each of the 100's of parts which go into any given order. Hypothetical situation: projected leadtime for your order was based on long-lead parts A, B and C...all of which were expected to arrive from their respective suppliers not long before your bike's ship date...all arrive on time, but C is part of a big bulk order (e.g. a bolt common to multiple platforms) which fails receiving inspection. Sad day for lots of folks everywhere.

As before, it's possible for your shop (via their rep) to find out what's going on with your specific order, via the order#. Depending on what's holding yours up, there may be a workaround of some sort...particularly if it's related to an accessory which you'd be willing to receive later. Just an idea.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
Looks good. What bar computer mount is that?

That is the profile designs universal computer mount. It's like $11 at your LBS. The one pictured above is the shorter UCM module. I purchased, but haven't put on, the longer UCM module so the computer is mounted more directly in the middle of the bars. I've found that my hand scuffs my computer a little more than I'd like (paranoid because I lost a Garmin on my old bike).

http://brandscycle.com/...HPg78CFY0DOgodiFIAHQ

Also I've received about 93475809873045345 PM's about the bracket I made. I made it from aluminum bar bought at home depot. It was about $3. You'll need drill bits capable of drilling into metal (however with aluminum being as soft as it is you may be able to get away with standard bits). IIRC the holes need to be 4" C2C. Then you have to drill the holes for the water cage. The bolts to secure the bracket are going to have to have a low profile head or else the head won't allow the cage to sit flush on the bracket. If you look close enough at my pictures you'll see I have tiny spacers under the cage, even with slow profile head bolts for securing the bracket.

http://www.homedepot.com/...minum%2520bar?NCNI-5
Quote Reply

Prev Next