Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
4) The 90$ (Canada) "between the arms" Bontrager bottle setup is not working: on rough roads, I've ejected bottles. It's not rigid enough. Sucks, I really wanted to like it. Now using a 6$ PF cage with zip ties on the front, and 1 screw + spacer in the back into the mono... Not sexy, but works perfect: I have yet to lose a bottle.

I lost two bottles with that cage at the Kansas 70.3 and the roads weren't that rough. Were you getting any noise from the cage on rough roads? I was on large cracks in the road so I took it off. I'm thinking of trying a different cage with the bracket to see if that works better.

I also have to tape my draft box lid.

I've also set a few fastest bike splits at races this year. One race I was at, I think 5 of the top 6 bike splits were 2014 Speed Concepts. It's a fast bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Have someone check your rear brake because I've had some 40+mph descents with quick stops at the bottom and no issues...

Also how is the bike that heavy? My XL with ENVE 8.9 clinchers, adamo road and behind the seat & seat tube bottle holders was 20lbs 7 oz. For a bike of that size. It is far from heavy.

Do you feel the rear brake being as powerful as the front one? Or just slightly less? Do you alse have the Di2 levers? Could it be related to pull ratio?

I'll end up weighting it in different configs when I have time. The lightest one will probably be on the RXL training wheels that came with the bike, and no draftbox/repair kit.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

PeteDin is right...sounds like your rear brake set-up should be checked out. Impossible to say for sure over the internet, but one of my first guesses would be that the pads are set too close to the rim. Try backing them out to about 2mm away on each side and see if that improves things.

Dan had some good thoughts on deep front wheels here. My personal experience with brand/depth dependence echoes his, for the most part...it's a combination of wheels and frames and time spent familiarizing yourself with how they interact. A Venge with a pair of 404FC's in the wind was the most nervous handling road bike I'd ever ridden...threw my Aeolus 9's on the same bike the same day on the same loop and it was smooth sailing. But then the majority of my road & tri mileage is on my deeps...70-80% in years past, over 90% this year so far.

Sorry to hear about the cage experience...mind if I ask what bottle(s) you were using in there? I've found a model or two with a shallow or very irregular "lip" shape can defeat the retention capability of almost any cage.

Good news on the draft box lid: got an improved version in stock, PN 512622.

Thanks for sharing, Thierry! I think that's my favorite color too...even makes the small ring look good:

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A heavy bike hasn't been my experience... my SC9 P1 medium w/ Draft Box, Speed Box, BTA WaterBottle Cage, SpeedPlay Zero Stainless Pedals, and Enve 6.7 Tubulars (w/ heavy Conti gatorskins for training 4 now), w/ the U5 Vapor Coat was just sub 18 lbs. That seems like an absolute feather given all the storage and integration, and knowing that I'm not even running the lightest set-up possible right now. I love the brakes... very confident. Mounting the Di2 junction box took some creativity, but I was able to put in on the stem cap w/ a little determination.

-k(id)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Good news on the draft box lid: got an improved version in stock, PN 512622.

What's different about the new lid?

Any idea when the speedbox 2 might be back in stock? It sounds like some came and went pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the retention features (some details around the periphery of the lid, the tabs front and rear) are improved.

as of this morning, ETA on speedbox2 for domestic warehouses is within the next week.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems you have a lot of experience with this bike. I am contemplating picking up a 9 series with Di2 and a SRM. I have read through 30+ pages in this thread and come up with some potential issues on this first gen new SC. Is there anything else I am missing from the list below?

*Rear Speedbox pops open during rides (though this may have been fixed with the new updated version)
*Tough to find reliable magnet location for powermeter
*No internal location to store junction box? Looks like you may have put it inside the bento which is good, but how much space does that tie up in there? As petty as this sounds, not having an internal place to store the junction box really bothers me.
*The BTA cage/mount available from Trek for this bike launches bottles
*Possible rear wheel fitment issues? Would be running Super 9 CC or Lightweight Disc

Not sure if this matters, but I would be on a Large with the low/far stem, no spacers, and s-bend extensions.

I have been on P5s for the last few years and they have worked perfectly for me. I am nervous about making the jump to a first gen new bike. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl-

I remember reading someone's comment on the brake cable rattling in the base bar and you had a suggestion on how to fix it. On my bike it is only the rear brake cable as it stops when my hands are on the base bar (tested by putting left arm on extension and right arm on base bar and vice versa). I'm dropping it off when the shop that built it tomorrow and I'd love to provide some suggestions on how to get it fixed. I don't think I could deal with 5+ hours of rattling if I'm not on glassy roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you were thinking of this post perhaps?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
*The BTA cage/mount available from Trek for this bike launches bottles

I've only launched the bottles WTC hands out, so not regular water bottles. What I would do is buy the bracket and then you can use a different cage if you want.

Quote:
*Rear Speedbox pops open during rides (though this may have been fixed with the new updated version)

Mine has only popped open once, and that was on a very rough road. I have two small strips of electrical tape on the sides and haven't had any problems with that and the tape isn't that noticeable. I think I'll buy the new lid and see if that works better.

Quote:
Not sure if this matters, but I would be on a Large with the low/far stem, no spacers, and s-bend extensions.

I'm on a large with a low/far stem and have my box mounted on the stem cover with no issues. I'm using the 45mm riser though, so that's probably giving me more clearance that your set up might.

I've had some complaints, but after getting things sorted out it turns out my issues have primarily been caused by the bike shop. Overall, I really like the bike. It's fast and fun to ride. And, Di2 seems to hold up well in the rain. Unfortunately, I've had a few changes to test that out already this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
I am buying sc7.5 not P1 real excited about it.
Few questions.
Regarding fitting done with retul.
Stack 533, reach 401, saddle height 743, seat angle 80, all taken from scott plasma 2007 model.
Recommended a medium frame, what else do I need to order with it as far stem length and other spacers?
Does it come with draft box? If not what is the cost?
I am traveling back home with it, any tips I should know when I packed into a trico bike box? I have never had an integrated stem.
Again thanks for being here and answering our questions.
Manuel
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [manu12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Manuel, happy to be here.

Those look like frame figures. Would be more useful to know where your armpads are...pad stack and reach...that way we can confirm not only frame size but also stem and monospacer needs. Note: stock stem on the 7.5 depends on frame size and the stock monospacer is the 25mm if memory serves.

Draftbox not included on 7-series bikes, only 9-series. Prices are set by dealers.

One of the neat features of the new integrated front end is that once the three bolts holding the bar and mono to the stem are removed, the bar and extension assemblies are separate units. This means you have a little more flexibility in how you place things in your Trico case. Personally, I like removing the rear derailleur and removable hanger as a unit (2 bolts at the hanger) to protect them. Definitely use the dropout spacers that came with your case, too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok got it on the packing for trico box.
Now arm pad stack is 646mm
Arm pad reach is 412mm
Arm pad drop is 81mm
Arm pad width is 204mm
Thanks again,
Manuel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leaning towards a medium with medium-near stem and 35mm monospacer...even though the fit chart tries to drive toward a small with high-near. With a pad drop of 81, I'm guessing your saddle height is around 740 and that's what's making me look towards the larger frame...and that's more consistent with the size Plasma you were on too.

ETA: you can hit your pad reach with the stock stem on a Medium 7.5 (medium-far)...it puts your basebar further away from you though. You could try riding it that way first before spending for the other stem. Out of the box you'll also be 10mm lower at the pads vs your fit coordinates unless you buy the 35mm monospacer. Just making sure you know where the differences will be.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Jul 7, 14 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
My scott plasma was medium with 743mm seat height. I was as forward as possible on it, somewhat "max out ".
I understand, I will have store fitter with these info. I will ride it first to see how it goes and adjust as you recommended it.
This gives me a bit of an understanding and blueprint prior to the fitting.
Very helpful . Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, have not read about this yet. I have a 2104 7.5 and love the bike, except that we cannot get the fit right. I have the tallest spacer on the bar, but need more height. I am 53 years old and don't have the greatest flexibility. My fitter has it dialed in pretty well, but I am having lots of issues with my neck on longer rides. Any ideas?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say you've got the tallest spacer on the bar...that would be the 45mm monospacer. Also using the tallest stem (high-near)? And the 5mm pad wing spacer? That's pretty much the maximum pad stack for the integrated cockpit hardware on any given frame if you've got all three of those going for you. After that, you're either looking at going back to the non-integrated cockpit (steer-stub and a high rise stem, lots of spacers, and a bar/extensions with lots of stack capability) or going up a frame size.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response, I'll check everything, I know I'm on the tallest spacer and I'm on an extra lager frame. I'll pass on the info to my fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl:

I've got a 2014 Speed Concept 9 series with Ultegra Di2. I'm having some serious issues with chain drop and chain suck. I've just replaced my chain and it seems to have gotten worse. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Jimmycool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always assume setup error first. Sometimes I can find the issue by reviewing the installation that way, sometimes I need someone more experienced than me to do the same.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Jimmycool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your low limit on your FD. This article is really good on how to adjust it and check for issues.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Front_Derailleur_How-To_3775.html

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got my duotrap installed but noticed a big huge issue... The speed magnet is no where near close enough to pick up the sensor on my ENVE 8.9s (G3 PT hub). I can imagine the dishing on this hub is that different then the Bont 9s. Anyone have any ideas?

Also I ran into a pretty big issue today with my seat post. For some reason it slipped pretty badly and tore odd a bunch of the paint on the post itself. The bolts were tightened to spec and carbon paste was used. The shop is contacting trek tomorrow about a warranty replacement but it seems crazy that it would slip that bad.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is Speed?
Speed (methamphetamine, C10H15N) is a potent and addictive central nervous system stimulant, chemically related to amphetamine, but with greater central nervous system side effects. It is a white, odorless, bitter-tasting powder that easily dissolves in water or alcohol.
Methamphetamine is classified as a Schedule II stimulant by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, which means it has a high potential for abuse and is available by prescription only. Medically it has been used for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and obesity, but these uses are limited in the U.S. due to the high potential for abuse and diversion. Prescription doses are typically much lower than those used illicitly. In the U.S., methamphetamine is available by prescription as the brand name product Desoxyn or generically

http://www.soran.edu.iq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try a different/stronger magnet?

the seatpost thing doesn't sound normal, I agree...sounds like the shop is on it though.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the Bont 9's have a similar issue? The good thing is there should be plenty of room for a disc cover and I can just use 2 rare earth magnets on the cover to hold the outter one in place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next