Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem syncing my pool swim sessions. How did you solve the issue?

http://www.verynooty.com
Last edited by: BigH: Nov 26, 14 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Been using a borrowed V800 for a while now. So far I think it's awesome. Been using it for in-door swimming, in-door trainer rides and outdoor running.

/Lars

NB. Please note I do have a degree in Computer Science.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive comment on behalf of all us, triathletes. I cannot agree with you guys more on the integration of support for 3rd party power meters. Whilst integration with Google Fit (from lastest update) is great for making this an activity tracker watch, failing to prioritize #1 is a major flaw.I accept that Polar has other software priorities and integration with Stages Powermeter aint high on their list, but the least they can do is LISTEN to the market. READ DC Rainmakers comments and his blog!! When ws the issue of integration with GoogleFit etc. mentioned? Solve the REAL problems first and prioritise according to the market and demand! U want market research? Read this forum and DC rainmakers blog. Enough said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do we get a little inside scoop of what's coming next for the V800?

Android support still on track for December?
Are you guys working together with Stages to get that up and running?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
Do we get a little inside scoop of what's coming next for the V800?

Android support still on track for December?
Are you guys working together with Stages to get that up and running?
Haven't tried to sync it w my new Stages yet - are you saying it won't sync w it? Chris - would appreciate your input on the power details.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeekrusk wrote:
Haven't tried to sync it w my new Stages yet - are you saying it won't sync w it? Chris - would appreciate your input on the power details.

I can get it paired (It shows up as "stages_power" in the list of paired sensors), but the data page with power, average power & cadence i created shows only dashes. There's also nothing about data to be seen in flow afterwards...
a plan to document any progress in this regard here: Link to stages thread on Polar V800 Forum .
This thread has also some info an the state of things with some speculation on who's fault it is... ;-)

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking everywhere but haven't been able to find a list of power meters you guys support. Do you support the Powertap bluetooth hub? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a technological standpoint: Yes they do. The V800 *should* be compatible with all BTLE power meters.

BUT: For these devices to actually work (reliably, accurately,...) together, it sometimes takes some fine-tuning. This fine-tuning for 3rd party power meters has not happened yet as I understand it. All that was done, was implementing the basic protocol and making sure the Polar/Look Keo BTLE Power pedals work with the V800.

Anybody have those?... I didn't think so...

We are waiting...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now we "officially" support Keo Power Bluetooth - though our Power implementation follows standard Bluetooth Smart specification for power data. The target is to improve compatibility for third party sensors and PM's in the upcoming releases.. Two parts to this.. 1) We have internal work to do - we'll absolutely try to bend and adapt to key power meters.. We want that compatibility.. 2) we're also having open dialog with other brands to improve their implementation of the profile to ensure things are close to being on spec. FWIW we actually co-chair the Sports & Fitness working group at Bluetooth SIG.
Last edited by: Chris@Polar: Dec 5, 14 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris I'm having a problem with my V800 charging. Then only way it will charge is when I manually push the charger together. I have the pre order version. I've been having problems with it syncing and also saying charge completed when its only half charged. Starting today it started the not wanting to charge or sync unless i manually press down on the charger. Please help this is a headache. Thanks man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris, I'm having an issue with my v800. I've had the watch for over a month now and this started happening just last week. When running I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist and lately whilst running the watch will beep and show the time of day (home screen) instead of my training metrics and then after a few seconds it will go back to my data screens. This happens completely randomly but at least 10 times a mile though. For kicks I turned the watch to the outside of my wrist and had no issues at all. Returned to the inside and it started again, I stopped and pressed all the buttons to make sure that I'm not accidentally pressing the watch with my wrist, but nothing makes the time of day pop up. So for some reason wearing the watch on the inside of my wrist is making the signal drop..I think?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [spire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spire wrote:
Hey Chris, I'm having an issue with my v800. I've had the watch for over a month now and this started happening just last week. When running I wear my watch on the inside of my wrist and lately whilst running the watch will beep and show the time of day (home screen) instead of my training metrics and then after a few seconds it will go back to my data screens. This happens completely randomly but at least 10 times a mile though. For kicks I turned the watch to the outside of my wrist and had no issues at all. Returned to the inside and it started again, I stopped and pressed all the buttons to make sure that I'm not accidentally pressing the watch with my wrist, but nothing makes the time of day pop up. So for some reason wearing the watch on the inside of my wrist is making the signal drop..I think?

You're activating the heart touch function involuntarily :) It probably means also that you're keeping your wrists to high and to much to the inside when running.
On the other hand (no pun intended) Polar recommends wearing the watch on the outside of a wrist for better gps reception.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [grzeg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grzeg1 wrote:
spire wrote:

You're activating the heart touch function involuntarily :) It probably means also that you're keeping your wrists to high and to much to the inside when running.
On the other hand (no pun intended) Polar recommends wearing the watch on the outside of a wrist for better gps reception.

You're hired! ;0)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [grzeg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just tested this and you're right. Guess I'll have to check my form, thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [spire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a week's training done now on my spanking new 920XT.
It's fantastic - out of the box new, it found GPS signal in 9 seconds!!!

I wish I had just bought a 910XT last June and saved myself all the V800 hassle.
My V800 is going onto ebay tomorrow - unfortunately, I fear I won't get much for it as there seems to be quite a few for sale.
The V800 is the last Polar device I will own, and I have had many!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [okenny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@okenny have you tried the swimming on the Garmin. Having issues with the V800 frustrating...tx Mo
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [moejoex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water and pool swimming are just fine with the 920XT. Not missed a length in the pool and tracks well in the open water.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply much appreciated. My gut says the Garmin is the way to go.. so much for marketing and procuring on faith
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [okenny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okenny wrote:
I have a week's training done now on my spanking new 920XT...
what exactly is the significance of all of this for this thread? You might want to re-read the title.
Don't get me wrong - I like a good V800 vs 920XT banter like the next guy. You might want to start your own thread for that though...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Read the Garmin Forum if you think the 920xt is perfect

https://forums.garmin.com/...480-Forerunner-920XT

Just as many complaints as you see here about the v800 including

Swim Metrics that are not accurate
GPS inaccuracy
etc, ect, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite simply not banter just curious as the swimming function on my V800 does not work properly tried it again today with kicking off the wall hard still does not register the length correctly so its quite frustrating that's. It configured correctly for 25 meters but after 400 meters registered 150 meters. Stopped and retried again swam 200 meters only registered 25 meters. One of the reasons I procured this device was for its future promise of swimming capability this is not working. I will take it up with my local supplier. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moejoex wrote:
Quite simply not banter...

Hi,
the "banter"-comment was directed at okenny.

As for the swimming:
If it misses more than the occasional odd technique/drill/leg-length, then something is either wrong with YOUR watch, or with your swimming (no offence). For me it works quite well, especially during regular freestyle sets. It totally love how I don't have to keep lap-count for longer sets anymore, because I can actually see the current lap distance under water if I tilt my arm just a little.

The other day I tried out swimming with heart rate (wore a tri-suit so that the strap stays in place). That's really nice information (I realized that my easy sets are too hard) and the training load is more accurate (imo without HR it is usually too low - always just a couple of hours even for killer swimsets).

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that's very much the case with any swim device. Invariably it comes down to the swimmer's technique not conforming with the parameters the device expects for that particular stroke. Despite not being a particularly good swimmer best is around 1:40/100 on a good day, i rarely lost a length with the Garmin 910 and am seeing the same with the 920.

I suspect the same will apply to the V800.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Dec 9, 14 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem re the "banter" was just drafting on his comment :-) . I am a good swimmer it my strength actually wish some of the other disciplines were.. I am prepared to try some options. I tried swimming without the HRM to see if it could have made any difference but not. I am set up left handed and wore the watch on my left hand just in case perhaps I should put in on my Right maybe the Southern Hemisphere is backwards.. When swimming with the HRM I wear a top to keep it in place and it works quite well. I am even prepared to have someone do a video of me to see if my style is strange if it could assist. I was not doing any drills just straight swimming all freestyle. take care
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have similar problems. I swam 700 yards last night, only counted 375 yards. It's sad I can't count on the watch to do the lap count....

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. If Polar would tell us what the watch is looking for in the turn. How hard to you have to push off etc.? What are the parameters?
Quote Reply

Prev Next