Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Third Party Power Meter Support? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris, perhaps you can confirm, but I think we have to take Polar's word literally when the release notes say "Support for Kéo Power Bluetooth® Smart"; in particular, I don't think the 1.1.70 firmware (or possibly the current Flow web site) truly supports third-party power meters. For this morning's commute, I tried a PowerTap PowerCal: https://flow.polar.com/...ng/analysis/29346478

The watch did ask me if I wanted to update training pages, and when I agreed, it added power data to one of the pages. However, the Flow web site doesn't show any power data on the graphs. It does, however, list an average and max power in the summary. (The average is at least 100 W too high, FWIW, and I'm certainly not generating a maximum power of 2 kW. I'm not that hardcore when commuting, but this could be mostly an issue with the PowerCal which is notoriously spiky.) Other than those two numbers, nothing. I didn't look at the watch during the ride, but I'll try and glance at it on the way home this afternoon to see what real time data is there.

Bottom line, I think that power support, at least for third-party meters, isn't fully baked yet. Not a huge deal for me since I'm really waiting for Viiiva support (both my road and tri bikes have Quarqs) which wasn't advertised until a later release anyway (but is coming soon I hope).
Quote Reply
Re: Third Party Power Meter Support? [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, the downloaded TCX file for this session doesn't include any power data whatsoever.
Last edited by: sathomasga: Oct 1, 14 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [epsomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
epsomd wrote:
one other question.
what is the roadmap for export of all exercises from polar-protrainer (windows fat client) to flow?

http://updates.polar.com/...trainer-5-to-flow-2/
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess those that can read... are the boss.. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [epsomd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been known to come in handy, at times. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [frozenchosen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would probably tell you to stay away from the beach lest you get sand kicked in your face.

Ba-zing!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
Hey, Chris. Been following this thread for a while and appreciate all of the progress you've been making. So, let me just ask it bluntly: why should I buy a v800 over the new 920xt? People who have invested in BLE sensors (or who plan to) will obviously be more interested in the v800. But what else? You must be ready for this question . . .Thanks.

Id be very interested in an answer to this too. As it stands, my Blue V800 will be on Ebay by the weekend. The release info for the 920xt is quite simply another level. I have been patient with Polar but Slipping dates for firmware covering functions that quite frankly should already be there and being used as a beta tester for the software, have worn me down and forced me away. I returned after an age of using Garmin and so wanted the V800 to live up to the hype, but it just doesnt. Apologies to the polar brigade but im just saying it as I see it. I can do because I paid £400 for the privilege.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [bagggers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kind of agree. I should have held off a few more weeks, but bit the bullet on the V800. Then the 920XT came out (Wow, it is feature packed, from the release date) :(

I wish Polar would release the "new" features faster than they do.

I would like to sign up as a Polar beta tester for the firmware though :)
Last edited by: hinke: Oct 1, 14 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I share my workout to Facebook? Is it possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [hinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hinke wrote:
I kind of agree. I should have held off a few more weeks, but bit the bullet on the V800. Then the 920XT came out (Wow, it is feature packed, from the release date) :(

I wish Polar would release the "new" features faster than they do.

I would like to sign up as a Polar beta tester for the firmware though :)

While I do wish the same, they don't have the experience that garmin has with these features. Polar is catching up though. The 920xt does come out with an extensive array of features, but I think I'm still going to be happy with the V800. Garmin 810 is fulfilling the power meter role, the V800 is fulfilling the holistic view with activity tracker and recovery that works together. While the 920xt might have a recovery timer and an activity tracker - I don't believe they will influence one another to be really useful in terms of quantifying training/activity load and recovery..
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else thing it overestimates distance? It gave me 3.32 miles this morning while Runkeeper tracked 3.02 and MapMyRun said it was about 3.2. It seems it overestimates and sometimes by a lot as I know some of the routes' distance, and hence pace and average is all messed up and I think I'm more awesome than I really am :\

I think I'm done, though. Time to eBay.... 920XT it is.
Last edited by: GatorDeb: Oct 2, 14 0:02
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in 920xt
Android support out of the box
swimming metrics
running cadence etc. without footpod
custom route creation

i'm thinking about ditching v800 too.....

I bought a triathlon watch that is in reality a running watch. Android support was "coming", now it's end of the year if at all. HR underwater is not reliable and you need to wear a bra (so better to go mio link way).
Need to buy a footpod to get cadence. No time zone support. Flow export still not done properly.
No proper communication from Polar (although latest changes might mean it's changing).

And now I feel cheated because it seems to me it all takes so long cause they're busy working on something else like M400 and who knows what else.

First DCRainmaker's review appeared on January 6th. 9 months of development passed. I can't see much more than power meter support added. A few promised deadlines were already postponed. It does not look very promising for new features to appear soon.
Last edited by: grzeg1: Oct 2, 14 0:28
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [grzeg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I have automatic laps set up and they go off every mile I run and I just exported my first activity to training peaks and .... no laps. Just one lap, the entire workout. Really? I just got the Magellan Echo Fit so I'm gonna sell the 910XT and the V800 now and be with just the phone and Echo until the 920XT comes out.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
And I have automatic laps set up and they go off every mile I run and I just exported my first activity to training peaks and .... no laps. Just one lap, the entire workout. Really? I just got the Magellan Echo Fit so I'm gonna sell the 910XT and the V800 now and be with just the phone and Echo until the 920XT comes out.

Looking a tab obslete now eh?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think if people had sarcastic comments or dramatic statements about ebaying their V800 that they Might start their own thread. Chris has started this one so we could ask questions about the Device (or apparently boxers or briefs as well lol)

While there are some definite disappointments in the V800, I think this thread ends up dying off if it continues to diverge away from its original intent.

Flame retardant suit applied...

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
While there are some definite disappointments in the V800, I think this thread ends up dying off

Like the v800 then? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Fred D wrote:

While there are some definite disappointments in the V800, I think this thread ends up dying off

Like the v800 then? :)

Actually, I have multiple Garmin products and love them. I am also sponsored by Garmin. Great company with fantastic customer support!
My Garmin 800 is simply the best training electronic I have ever owned.

I was simply trying to make the point that Chris started this thread for Questions about the Polar V800.

I could be wrong, but I doubt the majority of V800 owners here are enjoying your contributions to deriding the thread.

All the best.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
I could be wrong, but I doubt the majority of V800 owners here are enjoying your contributions to deriding the thread. .

spot on Fred D. I've tried 910xt and while the technology worked fine, there were things i didn't like about it. I'm really enjoying my v800 and will support the company to try and make it better, while being patient with their development. for HR monitoring, they are the best in the market, always have been. I used mine for IMCHOO this sunday and it worked flawlessly - tracked my HR in the swim, my route on the swim, accurate bike splits, run splits, reminders when to drink and eat during bike/run, transitions, etc. PERFECT!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

• Will the V800 change my heart rate zones based on my fitness tests and exercising etc.?
  • Is there a way for the watch to warn me if I enter zone 5?

Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeekrusk wrote:
Fred D wrote:

I could be wrong, but I doubt the majority of V800 owners here are enjoying your contributions to deriding the thread. .

spot on Fred D. I've tried 910xt and while the technology worked fine, there were things i didn't like about it. I'm really enjoying my v800 and will support the company to try and make it better, while being patient with their development. for HR monitoring, they are the best in the market, always have been. I used mine for IMCHOO this sunday and it worked flawlessly - tracked my HR in the swim, my route on the swim, accurate bike splits, run splits, reminders when to drink and eat during bike/run, transitions, etc. PERFECT!

Thanks for the support, Fred D & trigeekrusk! I simply ignore Ddave at this point, although his obsession with the brand and V800 is quite fascinating - just looking at his post history in 2014, north of 90% are dedicated to the V800.. I sent him a t-shirt and visor, but for some reason the package came back undeliverable.

On the new product side - nothing has changed. Competition brings out the best in developers & forces innovation.. Which is great, especially in our sport. We're extremely confident in the platform and ecosystem we're developing & invested in consistent updates on all platforms..
Last edited by: Chris@Polar: Oct 2, 14 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just my 2 cents
i have used polar for a long time, and think that they are hands down the best at the heart rate monitoring. They are catching up fast, and never made a secret at the beginning when the V800 came out that there would be a bit of a transition period. It does bother me a bit that some of the deadlines have not been met, but i think this forum is a good step to start communicating this, and to give us users a good lowdown/good information about these things.
keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ambit 3, 920xt, etc... I'm sure they're fine platforms but after owning the previous versions of both, I was never as happy with any of them as I am with my v800. I knew going into it that power and swim metrics wouldn't be available for quite some time and honestly, it hasn't been that big of a deal. I absolutely love the ability to track my HR while swimming and also appreciate the holistic view that my v800 gives me of my fitness. With the upcoming updates the power issue I described yesterday will get resolved. I have full intentions in supporting Polar and their ecosystem (can't wait for the v650).

Hey Chris, if you want to send that returned visor and shirt to me, go ahead!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skullyrush wrote:
Ambit 3, 920xt, etc... I'm sure they're fine platforms but after owning the previous versions of both, I was never as happy with any of them as I am with my v800. I knew going into it that power and swim metrics wouldn't be available for quite some time and honestly, it hasn't been that big of a deal. I absolutely love the ability to track my HR while swimming and also appreciate the holistic view that my v800 gives me of my fitness. With the upcoming updates the power issue I described yesterday will get resolved. I have full intentions in supporting Polar and their ecosystem (can't wait for the v650).

Hey Chris, if you want to send that returned visor and shirt to me, go ahead!

For sure! ;0)

On the power side: We've found that some of the existing BT Smart power meters are not on spec with the Bluetooth Smart power profile. We've tested a few, & we will try to improve compatibility on our end the best we can, but also work with everyone to make sure the standardized profiles are being used entirely. Hope this makes sense!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by hinke [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim with the V800, I have not used the heart rate strap yet. I have a question about the number of calories burnt. I swim for at least 45 minutes, the V800 says I burnt 196 calories, is this number high or low? Will the watch better determine calories burnt with the heart rate strap. Also, is says Fat burn % of calories is 56%, but when I run that percent is in the range of 19%. Can someone elaborate on this number how the V800 determines it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next