Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to software development, the relevant question is rarely "how hard can it be to fix this" but rather "how important is this compared to everything else that needs to be done?"
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good activity/sport/training watch, but it's not a triathlon watch as it's being marketed.

If it were to be marketed as a ski watch or a cardio watch - it would be more accurate than a triathlon watch. No swim metric (at least until Nov).
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems Chris is no longer with us :((
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [j--l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j--l wrote:
Chris@Polar wrote:

While the V800 is designed for triathlon / multisport - the application of some of the hardware is obviously much greater. Our core focus will be enhancing the device for use in triathlon for the immediate future though =) Beyond that we'll absolutely look at feedback like this for future enhancements.

Well, please at least add Climbing (preferably: Bouldering, Rock Climbing etc.) to the list of available Sport Profiles. There is extensive list of sports, but for some reason Climbing is missing! It would be great!
Chris,

there are more people waiting in vain for still missing Climbing sport profile - please do remember about us and add this to the Sport Profiles as soon as possible :)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [gavagai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 920xt is already ordered....

I have the original packaging of my V800 ready to go for the Ebay sale.
I have however noticed, that the V800 is quite heavily discounted at online retailers now....I won't get much for my V800, but my oh my....I'll be happy to see it gone & replaced with a far more capable device.

I've had Polar's top of the line HRM for 15 years, but I'm done now.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [okenny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okenny wrote:

I have however noticed, that the V800 is quite heavily discounted at online retailers now....I won't get much for my V800, but my oh my....I'll be happy to see it gone & replaced with a far more capable device.

I am disappointed in some of the delayed responses of Polar to customer concerns. I've really enjoyed my Garmin products in the past... I actually think polar needs to get their act together to survive, and soon. Garmin and Suunto are going to eat them for breakfast if this delayed plan of updates continues. Polar is not going to succeed in the American market with the delayed updates and responses. Makes me sad, as I've had polar for years, but the American market is very demanding with respect to customer service, and at the same time, quite lucrative;-)... Sure so get your act together polar

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred D: Nov 1, 14 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnthonyS wrote:
Seriously Polar.... My V800 sees and syncs with my Stages PM. How hard is it to display and record the two number the meter is reporting? I'm tired of wearing my V800 and using my 310XT to record power data. Maybe I should just give up on Polar all together and go back to my 310XT..... I really like the V800 but not being compatible with aftermarket bluetooth power meters is just retarded and lazy at this point.

I generally agree that it is unbearable to not have the Stages-V800 combo work. Maybe we shouldn't blame it entirely on Polar though. It is only speculation how closely the stages BTLE transmission adheres to the standard. Is there another 3rd party BTLE headunit that could be used to demonstrate that stages BTLE plays nice with others? Obviously there's their own app, but that doesn't really count.

Anyway: Please Polar & Stages: Get together and make it work for us!!!

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
AnthonyS wrote:

Seriously Polar.... My V800 sees and syncs with my Stages PM. How hard is it to display and record the two number the meter is reporting? I'm tired of wearing my V800 and using my 310XT to record power data. Maybe I should just give up on Polar all together and go back to my 310XT..... I really like the V800 but not being compatible with aftermarket bluetooth power meters is just retarded and lazy at this point.

I generally agree that it is unbearable to not have the Stages-V800 combo work. Maybe we shouldn't blame it entirely on Polar though. It is only speculation how closely the stages BTLE transmission adheres to the standard. Is there another 3rd party BTLE headunit that could be used to demonstrate that stages BTLE plays nice with others? Obviously there's their own app, but that doesn't really count.

Anyway: Please Polar & Stages: Get together and make it work for us!!!

Regardless of which unit deviated from the standard - both are BTLE certified. If the BTLE certification process does not mean interoperability then its worthless.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
okenny wrote:

I am disappointed in some of the delayed responses of Polar to customer concerns. I've really enjoyed my Garmin products in the past... I actually think polar needs to get their act together to survive, and soon. Garmin and Suunto are going to eat them for breakfast if this delayed plan of updates continues. Polar is not going to succeed in the American market with the delayed updates and responses. Makes me sad, as I've had polar for years, but the American market is very demanding with respect to customer service, and at the same time, quite lucrative;-)... Sure so get your act together polar

Have to agree with you Fred. I bought the V800 principally for the swim HR ability + metrics. When they launched the pre-sale version V800 the Polar website stated September as the release date for swim metrics. Then they bumped it to October. Now it's sometime in November (not holding my breath).
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I stopped doing OWS last week some swim metrics would be nice, I was hoping to wake up 11/1 and see an update available but no such luck. Where my PM is concerned the grossly exaggerated power numbers were frustrating so I switched back to my Edge 500 and I'm going to hold off for a bit on ordering the v650. Like everyone else I wish Polar was more proactive with keeping us in the know.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [DextrosePLZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DextrosePLZ wrote:
First let me say that I’ve had the V800 for 10 days now and am loving it.

I’m sure some of these will be addressed in the future updates, but figured I’d ask about them now. They are mostly related to the Polar Flow.
1) I have never seen sleep data. I have looked in the diary were supposedly it would be reported for the Loop but can’t find anything. Is this information not currently tracked by the V800? Also, if I get extra sleep will the training load adjust down proportionately and vic versa?

2) In the progress tab do you think Polar will make it so different sport are different colors in the bar graph? Also will it be possible to select multiple sports, but not all? (this is just the way I’m use to looking a cumulative training over time).

3) Do you think it will be possible to create your own training plan in Polar Flow by the end of this year. Currently the “Add Training Target” seems to be the only way to add a planned workout to the calendar and it’s just too inefficient/ineffective to outline upcoming months of training.

I have many more question but will stop there for now. Thanks again for being a part of this message board.

Sleep data is already there Dextroze. In flow, go to diary view. Then you need to make sure that you select the DAY option from the options (Day Week Month). Once you have done that, scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure you select "Activity Summary" and its right there, along with "Steps" "Calories" and "Inactivity Alerts".
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skullyrush wrote:
Where my PM is concerned the grossly exaggerated power numbers were frustrating so I switched back to my Edge 500 and I'm going to hold off for a bit on ordering the v650.

I've been emailing back and forth on a slightly different issue...

I have multiple power taps and don't plan on being another one like Look Keo. I have been using the Viiiiva HR strap as a bridge, and it reads the power numbers, but they are almost exactly double the numbers they should be. My uneducated guess is that the V800 is interpreting the Powertap (via the bridge) as one pedal and then DOUBLING the numbers.

What worries me is that Polar does not see this as "their issue" at all, but rather a 4iiii issue.

This is sort of ridiculous, as it is either one of 2 things IME:

1. Ineptitude?
  2. They are intentionally not playing well with others as they are hoping people will just buy the Look Keo pedals?

Probably more options here, but this is what I came up with ;-)

I have sent additional inquiries into Polar and 4iiii, but I am referencing the DC Rainmaker Review where he stated Polar planned to fully integrate with 4iiii as they felt that they were "Bluetooth compliant".

I have another way to read power (Garmin 800), but wanted all the data on the watch as well.

Maybe I should have just bought another watch?

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred D: Nov 10, 14 4:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
skullyrush wrote:
Where my PM is concerned the grossly exaggerated power numbers were frustrating so I switched back to my Edge 500 and I'm going to hold off for a bit on ordering the v650.

I've been emailing back and forth on a slightly different issue...

I have multiple power taps and don't plan on being another one like Look Keo. I have been using the Viiiiva HR strap as a bridge, and it reads the power numbers, but they are almost exactly double the numbers they should be. My uneducated guess is that the V800 is interpreting the Powertap (via the bridge) as one pedal and then DOUBLING the numbers.

What worries me is that Polar does not see this as "their issue" at all, but rather a 4iiii issue.

This is sort of ridiculous, as it is either one of 2 things IME:

1. Ineptitude?
  2. They are intentionally not playing well with others as they are hoping people will just buy the Look Keo pedals?

Probably more options here, but this is what I came up with ;-)

I have sent additional inquiries into Polar and 4iiii, but I am referencing the DC Rainmaker Review where he stated Polar planned to fully integrate with 4iiii as they felt that they were "Bluetooth compliant".

I have another way to read power (Garmin 800), but wanted all the data on the watch as well.

Maybe I should have just bought another watch?

I am also using a PowerTap, but I've got the BT cap and still get nearly double the wattage that I do on my Garmin. So this isn't something that's local to Viiiiva doing the bridging, it appears to be the way the v800 interprets the signal from the PM. In my mind this is a Polar issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skullyrush wrote:

I am also using a PowerTap, but I've got the BT cap and still get nearly double the wattage that I do on my Garmin. So this isn't something that's local to Viiiiva doing the bridging, it appears to be the way the v800 interprets the signal from the PM. In my mind this is a Polar issue.

Thanks for that. I had looked at the Polar Cap, but went with the Viiiiva based on DC Rainmaker's comments after his visit to Finland.

It is definitely a Polar issue.

Here was their response to me:

"Dear Fred,

Thank you for contacting Polar Customer Care!

It is hard to say why you would be seeing a doubled reading.

There is no setting in the V800 that a user needs to set to compensate for such a device.

I would recommend reaching out to Viiii to see if they have any insight why such a reading would occur."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah Chris, you guys make the V800 bashing just too easy.

Swim metrics for someone in a 20m pool.................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a long time Polar fan... I had pre-ordered the V800 and cancelled it at the last minute because my three key features were not available at release:

1/ Export data to Trainingpeaks
2/ Compatibility with suunto/adidas BTLE footpod.
3/ Power measurement

Now I'm glad I cancelled it because I see it will never be the product I want it to be and I now fear that they have lost the premium market forever.

The M400 should do very, very well. Perhaps they should stick to that segment of the market.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Methinks something's changed in their social media and consumer support strategy.....they just announced that they will be shutting down their product forums at polar.fi and instead directing people to their Facebook page. And Chris has been AWOL from this thread for a while now..........
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Methinks something's changed in their social media and consumer support strategy.....they just announced that they will be shutting down their product forums at polar.fi and instead directing people to their Facebook page. And Chris has been AWOL from this thread for a while now..........

Yeah, I noticed that as well:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...forum_view_collapsed;

Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last thing Polar want is a searchable archive of users posts on the products, possibly because they are, for the most part, very very bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:

I don't see the problem, you can set the pool length to anything between 20 and 250. Meters or yards, in .1 increments.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mind Ddave - it's a love/hate relationship thing that we're working on together. I keep suggesting couples counseling, he claims he doesn't love us anymore, yet his 2014 post history is 96%+ about the V800.

I addressed the forum closing in the other post linked above. Me being not active here isn't related, I had 3 back to back trade shows with the m400 launch parked in between.. It's just a crazy time for me..

I'd be happy to keep this thread active moving forward if it continues to add value to the community here. That was my intent from the start, and I hope we can keep that :)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris. Swimming metrics are out and I will test them tomorrow am. I'm just asking to clarify, but can you give any feedback on support for viiiiva HR strap acting as a bridge between my ant+ Powertap and Bluetooth? I aim to have my v800 read watts this way, but it seems to give values double what they should be. This has been confirmed by multiple users and also with the BT cap for powertap when read by the v800. Just looking for answers?

Last edited by: Fred D: Nov 13, 14 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should add, that I have appreciated your presence Chris on slowtwitch. I am quite aware that forums become "bitch fests" which is counter productive... I'm just looking for answers to the powertap issue and I can't get very far at this stage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
ddave wrote:

I don't see the problem, you can set the pool length to anything between 20 and 250. Meters or yards, in .1 increments.

Of course, you'd have to scroll down in the settings and -per proxy- to actually familiarize yourself with the product, but hey...everybody is free to go down the "open mouth, insert foot" road...

...compensating my lack of fitness with inadequate strength and endurance...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
ddave wrote:

I don't see the problem either. OP is just being a smart-a$$. If you travel - having this variability is extremely helpful. I know there are several different sizes pools in my town that i have access to - one that's only 20yds long. Good job, Polar, on putting flexibility into the build out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next