Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnthonyS wrote:
spinothalamic wrote:
Polar V800 is detecting Stages PM!! Has anyone tried pairing the V800 to the Stages PM recently? Months ago when i tried, nothing happened! Tried it at random today and it detects and will output power data from Stages PM! Only problem is that it DOUBLES the number. So if your Stages outputs 60Watts, the Polar V800 will show it as 120Watts. Perhaps we are one step closer to getting compatibility with Stages Power! :)

Nothing at all for me. They sync and pair, but no data shows up. I still have to use my Garmin 310XT for power...... I'm sadly starting to see the Polar as a waste of money and finding I may need a Garmin 920XT for my upcoming push to do my first IM. A watch for triathletes.... that doesn't measure triathlon specific things like outdoor swims or power output of most power meters on the market. I bought in on the preorder thinking Polar would be quick to add features and address software issues. It's pretty clear they got my money and don't care about much else after that. They are quick to make lots of commercials showing pro triathletes touting their device though. Kudos for that.

I have the same impression about what Polar's doing.

About Stages: is it possible that you don't have the latest firmware on Polar or on Stages?

Also I think Stages said something about new relase of firmware with BT fixes planned, I think it was to be end of January.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [grzeg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grzeg1 wrote:
AnthonyS wrote:
spinothalamic wrote:
Polar V800 is detecting Stages PM!! Has anyone tried pairing the V800 to the Stages PM recently? Months ago when i tried, nothing happened! Tried it at random today and it detects and will output power data from Stages PM! Only problem is that it DOUBLES the number. So if your Stages outputs 60Watts, the Polar V800 will show it as 120Watts. Perhaps we are one step closer to getting compatibility with Stages Power! :)

Nothing at all for me. They sync and pair, but no data shows up. I still have to use my Garmin 310XT for power...... I'm sadly starting to see the Polar as a waste of money and finding I may need a Garmin 920XT for my upcoming push to do my first IM. A watch for triathletes.... that doesn't measure triathlon specific things like outdoor swims or power output of most power meters on the market. I bought in on the preorder thinking Polar would be quick to add features and address software issues. It's pretty clear they got my money and don't care about much else after that. They are quick to make lots of commercials showing pro triathletes touting their device though. Kudos for that.

I have the same impression about what Polar's doing.

About Stages: is it possible that you don't have the latest firmware on Polar or on Stages?

Also I think Stages said something about new relase of firmware with BT fixes planned, I think it was to be end of January.

It is very possible I don't have the latest stages update. My V800 is up to date. I checked it this weekend before my bike ride on Saturday. I will see if I can update my PM and report back whatever I find.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [maikkeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris,

Just wanted to see if there was an update re compatibility with Wahoo Kickr. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by AlexBud [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: AlexBud: Jan 29, 15 0:11
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [chompnashville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also interested in Wahoo Kickr compatibility. I'm planning to buy it next month.

Regards
Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [radius_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appears Chris has called time on this thread.
Much like the tri community should on the V800 perhaps.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Appears Chris has called time on this thread.
Much like the tri community should on the V800 perhaps.
Yeah it is interesting to see the lack of response, put it in contrast to the Power2max topic, for example.

Quote | Reply
Yes, because Garmin products are a panacea of quality and function

or

Because this thread just continues to regurgitate the same complaints that have been replied to numerous times and/or they mimic many of the same complaints over on the 920xt thread.

by the way

Why doesn't my 920xt support my BT Stages Powermeter, totally ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
Yes, because Garmin products are a panacea of quality and function

or

Because this thread just continues to regurgitate the same complaints that have been replied to numerous times and/or they mimic many of the same complaints over on the 920xt thread.

by the way

Why doesn't my 920xt support my BT Stages Powermeter, totally ridiculous.
First, their is no Garmin representative opening a topic that says 'ask me anything' to not respond after a while.

Second - ANT+ is still the best method for communicating data between sensors and receivers, bluetooth is not capable of handling communication with the same levels of complexity. It is much more limited and definitely not as robust. My experience (which may differ from yours) has always been excellent with ANT+ products, showing very reliable communication, easy connection between sensors and receivers, etc whether they are Garmin or not. That reliability sure isn't there. Look at the activity monitor space, the BLE communication between the sensors and phones / computers is often a problem (coincidence or not but the polar loop was my worst experience here).

Your stages however should be broadcasting in both ANT+ as well as BLE, no? I didn't know there was a BLE only version.

Quote | Reply
chompnashville wrote:
Chris,

Just wanted to see if there was an update re compatibility with Wahoo Kickr. Thanks!

This is progressing for sure. I just don't have a time table yet - but I will shortly and it'll be posted at: http://updates.polar.com/

Nothing has changed with my reply though from a month back. We're "on spec" for Bluetooth Smart power - some other brands are not. We're working with some brands on improvements they can make to the implementation, but we also realize that it's super important and making programming considerations for the big needs (like the KICKR, Stages..etc..) I personally use a KICKR btw.

We launched a few updates today, we've been very regular with firmware upgrades and this will not stop.. Release notes are always available here: http://www.polar.com/en/support/V800
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
chompnashville wrote:
Chris,

This is progressing for sure. I just don't have a time table yet - but I will shortly and it'll be posted at: http://updates.polar.com/

Nothing has changed with my reply though from a month back. We're "on spec" for Bluetooth Smart power - some other brands are not. We're working with some brands on improvements they can make to the implementation, but we also realize that it's super important and making programming considerations for the big needs (like the KICKR, Stages..etc..) I personally use a KICKR btw.

We launched a few updates today, we've been very regular with firmware upgrades and this will not stop.. Release notes are always available here: http://www.polar.com/en/support/V800

One question then. As Wahoo KICKR is listed as a Bluetooth SIG certified product it sould be compatilble too. How come it's not then?
http://www.bluetooth.com/...rt-Devices-List.aspx

edit: of course the question is: why does V800 not support a certified BT product?
Last edited by: grzeg1: Jan 29, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I don't think it is an ANT+ is better than BTLE. I think the BTLE protocol in still new enough where there are some issues with cross communication - this occurred at the onset of ANT+ as well.

Well it is funny that my 920xt doesn't pick up my Stages - but I do realize it could be a firmware issue on either end so you don't see me throwing a tantrum on the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried to use the sensor in combination with the v800 watch and a gym bike?
I used the 'other indoor sports profile' and the cadence (rpm) is exactly the same like on the bike.
I taped the sensor on the bar of a indoor rowing machine (the letters 'polar' facing me) an it works, the actual and average strokes (cadence) are the same like on the machine (concept 2)
Used while rope skipping the cadence wokes also.

@chris from polar:
It would be great, if the stride sensor would be activated during the indoor profiles.
If polar dosn't want to do that (i coudn't understand why), more flexebility in the 'other indoor sport profile' would also work, so i could edit the data by myself, but actually there is not much to edit.
For example: strokes/min, average speed, edit or delete pace and so on.

It would even be possible to combine the gps data and the cadence while cycling outside (there is no technical reason why not. I don't want to buy another sensor like the wahoo rpm)
With those little modifications everyone will want to buy the stride sensor in combination with the v800, no other system on the market has that potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:

Unfortunately this update seems to have killed my V800. Woke up the day after the update to a dead watch, connected to charger, nothing. Pressing all 4 buttons whilst connected to charger, watch flashes with black Polar screen for half a second then goes blank again. Press and hold 4 buttons for much longer, eventually screen flashes with "Charging complete - 100%" or whatever that message is, then the normal display comes on, everything looks ok. Disconnect charger, poof - dead again.

Ah well, I think I've been one of the lucky ones, bought the watch right after release and have had very few problems, certainly no battery problems. It's gone in for service, I hope it comes back quickly, I feel really naked without it and I've got a big annual cross country ski trip coming up early next week :(
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [hugobene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugobene wrote:
@chris from polar:
It would be great, if the stride sensor would be activated during the indoor profiles.
If polar dosn't want to do that (i coudn't understand why), more flexebility in the 'other indoor sport profile' would also work, so i could edit the data by myself, but actually there is not much to edit.
For example: strokes/min, average speed, edit or delete pace and so on.

It would even be possible to combine the gps data and the cadence while cycling outside (there is no technical reason why not. I don't want to buy another sensor like the wahoo rpm)
With those little modifications everyone will want to buy the stride sensor in combination with the v800, no other system on the market has that potential.

That's good feedback. We're certainly considering things like this but entirely focused right now on publishing promised updates first!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [rooster_russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rooster_russ wrote:
Unfortunately this update seems to have killed my V800. Woke up the day after the update to a dead watch, connected to charger, nothing. Pressing all 4 buttons whilst connected to charger, watch flashes with black Polar screen for half a second then goes blank again. Press and hold 4 buttons for much longer, eventually screen flashes with "Charging complete - 100%" or whatever that message is, then the normal display comes on, everything looks ok. Disconnect charger, poof - dead again.
(

I think it could have just been a coincidence. First I've heard of it bricking the unit! Regardless we stand behind everything 100%.. Service will work it out for you quick and easy, and if you need me to help or jump in anytime just drop me a note.Sorry for the inconvenience though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
rooster_russ wrote:

(

I think it could have just been a coincidence. First I've heard of it bricking the unit! Regardless we stand behind everything 100%.. Service will work it out for you quick and easy, and if you need me to help or jump in anytime just drop me a note.Sorry for the inconvenience though!

Yeah I haven't seen any other cases of people having issues specifically because of this update so it might be a coincidence indeed. Either way, I'm giving service a chance - most feedback regarding service centres I've seen has been positive (although I haven't seen any Norway-specific) so I'm hopeful for a speedy return. I've been pretty happy with the watch so far, so I can survive a week or so without getting my knickers in a twist.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
I thought their battery life was not long enough to carry a V800 through an IM anyways.

Battery life is a non-issue. I used my V800 for IMChattanooga in September and had plenty of battery left. I didn't run it out to 17 hours, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

some Flow specific updates today (and more coming soon).

• Enhancements/Fixes:
  • Export of multisport training sessions enabled in GPX and TCX file formats
  • Export downloads now GPX and TCX files automatically to ZIP file enabling faster download time
  • Export of training session in CSV file format added
  • Speed and pace zone limits improved. The minimum speed difference between the upper and lower zone limits is now 0.01 km/h
  • Speed and pace zone limits in imperial units changes automatically in saving, fixed
  • Progress - Speed zones enabled for All Sports report
  • Email and password automatic fill does not work in Firefox browser, fixed
  • Training target - if target is added via Favorites editing pace of Race Pace target is not possible, fixed
  • Training analysis - Pool swimming phases, maximum pace shown incorrectly, fixed
  • User interface improvements
  • Localization fixes
  • Other bug fixes improving quality

Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [mecrtp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mecrtp wrote:
Chris, Thank you for the advice. I tried the same thing this afternoon. I started by impairing existing devices then I set up the Viiiiva by pairing it to my ANT+ speed/cadence sensor and also to my iBike power meeter. Then I paired my V800 to the Viiiiva. It asked me for my wheel size and completed the pairing. At this point there was no indication that the hrm had paired. I then paired the ANT+ output to my Garmin 510 and I bike. I put the V800 in Bike mode and was concerned because it did not show my heart rate on the initial screen like it does with the H7. It just said GPS OK and bike OK. I decided to try riding anyway and pressed start.... And everything worked. HR, speed and cadence all registered on the V800.

Thanks for the tip for the Viiiiva, I'd always been put off by that strange "wheel size" message when pairing my Viiiiva but it does indeed work. Before the latest V800 update (or the one before last) I could actually use it for the fitness test and get a running index number but that's no longer the case so it seems the V800 has stopped getting HRV data from the Viiiiva. Annoying...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris

2 Suggestions to add to Polar Flow:

• Possibility to display training on Facebook, "exporting" from Polar Flow
  • Possibility to add short comments on the "laps"/"automatic laps" tab

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
Hi All,

some Flow specific updates today (and more coming soon).

• Export of multisport training sessions enabled in GPX and TCX file formats
  • Export downloads now GPX and TCX files automatically to ZIP file enabling faster download time
  • Export of training session in CSV file format added

Thanks for all the updates, Chris. This one in particular, though, is not functionally friendly - as you cannot import a zip file. You have to enable additional steps just to get the same file to import to your training software (trainingpeaks, etc). Please, why not make it an option to download as a zip or just to download? Rather, eliminate the zip all together.

Ed
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, it's not possible to import a zip file to Strava. Winzip is a paid option. Pleaseee make it an option just to download as GPX/TCX file, like the way it was before.
Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Faye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.7-zip.org/

just replace WinZip?

...compensating my lack of fitness with inadequate strength and endurance...
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ReTrieD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ReTrieD wrote:
http://www.7-zip.org/

just replace WinZip?
While there are plenty of options out there for free versions of unzipping programs, that's not the point: having to unzip the file just to import it to TrainingPeaks or any other program is an extra step that in my opinion is functionally unfriendly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next