Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I had initially posted a question about which bike to choose on a new thread last week. Thanks for your input there along which many others, I am ready to move forward with the XPR. I am debating buying the Tri Rig Alpha or 43 asc extension for the front end and building it up with my fitter. Would you recommend buying the full bike now or buying the frame and adding pieces afterwards.

Seat Height: 797
Pad X/Pad Reach: 510/555
Pad y/Pad Stack: 680
Height 6'2"
Inseam 33" or 84 cm (to the floor, not ankle)
Crank length 160 mm (I seemed to like this one most)

Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [multisportPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

I am looking to purchase at QR XPR and am wondering the correct size. I am riding a 54 cm Cannondale Slice (2005 Aluminum), but I am worried it is too small because of how low the bars seem to have to be compared to my seat height (and my recent Trek experience see my post below), and back fatigue/pain (I have no back problems otherwise) at even an Olympic race, so I would rather fit based on my personal measurements. I don't fully trust fit coordinates as they are on the smaller frame.

Using the formula method, I am 176cm tall, my inseam is 86cm, and my seat height is 78 cm.

What is the QR size for me?

Thank you!

Rob,
I get that you are weary and I can easily see how/why you've ended up on a bike where the whole frontend (base bar, arm pads, aero extensions) was too low. You've got long legs for your height and that demands that the set-up is "short and tall" (as opposed to long and low) so the pads need to come up and back to meet you. You can still be crazy fast in that position, and, as you've noted, comfort is critical.

I'd guess your Pad Y to be around 650 and your Pad X to be ~430. You should get an XPR size 54 - and get it with the Profile Design 1/Seventeen stem* (NOT the QR aerostem). Get the PD 1/17 stem in 90mm length, set in the -17 degree position, with 15mm of spacer under the stem and another 15mm of aerobar pedestal, and then pads should be set -7cm of off set (which is 2 holes forward of max back).

Let's stay for a sec that my assumptions are off - not likely, I'm an expert in this and I've had years of practice with thousands of atheltes - but if I'm off a bit you'll be able to move the pads all over the universe: up 80mm higher and back 30mm closer WITH THE SAME 90MM STEM. You can also go a long longer (50mm) and lower (30mm) but that's less of a worry in this case. The reason the ranges is so great is that *this stem we're talkin' about can be flipped to a +17deg position and gain a ton of height. Also, this stem is inexpensive, they make it in lots of lengths and you can give this bike a ton of range in the snap of your fingers. Also, the bike will come with a bag of profile design spacers and bolts of differing length - this is the pedestal system to lift and lower the aerobars so you can get the frontend exactly where you need it.

Get back to me here if you have quesitons but I'm confident in this so order before the sale ends.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [EyeTri08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

I had initially posted a question about which bike to choose on a new thread last week. Thanks for your input there along which many others, I am ready to move forward with the XPR. I am debating buying the Tri Rig Alpha or 43 asc extension for the front end and building it up with my fitter. Would you recommend buying the full bike now or buying the frame and adding pieces afterwards.

Seat Height: 797
Pad X/Pad Reach: 510/555
Pad y/Pad Stack: 680
Height 6'2"
Inseam 33" or 84 cm (to the floor, not ankle)
Crank length 160 mm (I seemed to like this one most)

EyeTri08,
Firstly the size prescription... XPR size 58.5, 110 Profile Design 1/Seventeen stem in the -17ded position with 10mm of spacer under stem and 5mm of aerobar pedestal with pads set -4 or -3.25 off set (either 5mm to short or 3mm too long, your call). You could also get the 58.5 with the QR Aero Stem in 110 length with 10mm of stem spacer & 10mm of aerobar pedestal with pads off set -4.

You will save a TON OF MONEY by purchasing the complete bike and just adding on a bit of new front-end when you're ready. There's just so much extra cost when you buy wheels, group set, saddle, etc. etc. piece meal.

If you're just doing the 43 ASC extensions you can simply plug those into the exsiting Profile Design aerobar brackets with the greatest of ease so that's your fastest/cheapest upgrade.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian! Much appreciated and looking forward to riding this bike soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

So in my case, I know you are recommending the 54, which sounds like I will have to have a very tall front end relative to the frame top tube. And I'm fine with this and am not doubting your background, experience by any means. But, most size charts/finders seem to place me on a 56 (Cervelo, Trek, etc.) and I also know each bike is different. But I couldn't imagine raising the bars on my C'dale as it would be so high on the front relative to the top of the frame and probably pretty tippy. If I were to go with the 56, would it even be possible to achieve the fit with a lower total front end relative to the seat height? (Shorter stem, less spacer height, etc.)?

Thank you for your time.

Rob

“It’s good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” - Ernest Hemingway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I have attached my fit on my Med Trek SC. We had to get a seatpost with set back, and raise the front end so high on this bike. This position was not super comfortable, and handling was not great as the front was so high. I did NOT get a pre-fit, which is what I should have done, and as I think I stated, I had to sell the bike. I do not have the fit coordinates of my Cannondale which is far more comfortable with handling and power, but just not great for longer/harder rides on my back (but it is much lower on the front), but I could measure if you think it's necessary for you to determine.

Yes, this is why I am weary, and just want to eventually be on the right bike...and this is why I am reaching out here to work on this process with experts.

Is QR even the best bike to achieve a good fit for me, or is there a better choice? (for instance the Cervelo Head Tube length is longer/taller at size 56).

One more thing if it matters/helps. I rode a 1990 QR Superform 55cm. This was my first bike, and all of my best times were on this and I remember it being much more comfortable for longer rides (i still have the frame). Based on my own measure, frame stack was approx. 50cm, and reach was 42, similar to my Cannondale, but the head tube length was 14cm and the Cannondale's is 11cm.

OK, I'll stop now :) Thank you again so much for all of the time on this.

Rob

“It’s good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” - Ernest Hemingway
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [multisportPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Ian,

I am looking to purchase at QR XPR and am wondering the correct size. I am riding a 54 cm Cannondale Slice (2005 Aluminum), but I am worried it is too small because of how low the bars seem to have to be compared to my seat height (and my recent Trek experience see my post below), and back fatigue/pain (I have no back problems otherwise) at even an Olympic race, so I would rather fit based on my personal measurements. I don't fully trust fit coordinates as they are on the smaller frame.

Using the formula method, I am 176cm tall, my inseam is 86cm, and my seat height is 78 cm.

What is the QR size for me?

Thank you!
Rob,
I get that you are weary and I can easily see how/why you've ended up on a bike where the whole frontend (base bar, arm pads, aero extensions) was too low. You've got long legs for your height and that demands that the set-up is "short and tall" (as opposed to long and low) so the pads need to come up and back to meet you. You can still be crazy fast in that position, and, as you've noted, comfort is critical.

I'd guess your Pad Y to be around 650 and your Pad X to be ~430. You should get an XPR size 54 - and get it with the Profile Design 1/Seventeen stem* (NOT the QR aerostem). Get the PD 1/17 stem in 90mm length, set in the -17 degree position, with 15mm of spacer under the stem and another 15mm of aerobar pedestal, and then pads should be set -7cm of off set (which is 2 holes forward of max back).

Let's stay for a sec that my assumptions are off - not likely, I'm an expert in this and I've had years of practice with thousands of atheltes - but if I'm off a bit you'll be able to move the pads all over the universe: up 80mm higher and back 30mm closer WITH THE SAME 90MM STEM. You can also go a long longer (50mm) and lower (30mm) but that's less of a worry in this case. The reason the ranges is so great is that *this stem we're talkin' about can be flipped to a +17deg position and gain a ton of height. Also, this stem is inexpensive, they make it in lots of lengths and you can give this bike a ton of range in the snap of your fingers. Also, the bike will come with a bag of profile design spacers and bolts of differing length - this is the pedestal system to lift and lower the aerobars so you can get the frontend exactly where you need it.

Get back to me here if you have quesitons but I'm confident in this so order before the sale ends.

Ian

Ian,

So in my case, I know you are recommending the 54, which sounds like I will have to have a very tall front end relative to the frame top tube. And I'm fine with this and am not doubting your background, experience by any means. But, most size charts/finders seem to place me on a 56 (Cervelo, Trek, etc.) and I also know each bike is different. But I couldn't imagine raising the bars on my C'dale as it would be so high on the front relative to the top of the frame and probably pretty tippy. If I were to go with the 56, would it even be possible to achieve the fit with a lower total front end relative to the seat height? (Shorter stem, less spacer height, etc.)?

Thank you for your time.

Rob

Ian,

I have attached my fit on my Med Trek SC. We had to get a seatpost with set back, and raise the front end so high on this bike. This position was not super comfortable, and handling was not great as the front was so high. I did NOT get a pre-fit, which is what I should have done, and as I think I stated, I had to sell the bike. I do not have the fit coordinates of my Cannondale which is far more comfortable with handling and power, but just not great for longer/harder rides on my back (but it is much lower on the front), but I could measure if you think it's necessary for you to determine.

Yes, this is why I am weary, and just want to eventually be on the right bike...and this is why I am reaching out here to work on this process with experts.

Is QR even the best bike to achieve a good fit for me, or is there a better choice? (for instance the Cervelo Head Tube length is longer/taller at size 56).

One more thing if it matters/helps. I rode a 1990 QR Superform 55cm. This was my first bike, and all of my best times were on this and I remember it being much more comfortable for longer rides (i still have the frame). Based on my own measure, frame stack was approx. 50cm, and reach was 42, similar to my Cannondale, but the head tube length was 14cm and the Cannondale's is 11cm.

OK, I'll stop now :) Thank you again so much for all of the time on this.

Rob

Rob,
I'm with you 100% here and I don't want you to "eventually" get on the right bike - I want you to immediately get on the right bike. It's funny but, as a fitter, and epspecially a fitter who works with atheltes on this forum and within this buying process - my #1 purpose, my raison d'etre is to get you on the proper size with the exact front end necessary for you to be comfortable first, powerful while comfortable, and aero if we can get it (and we can).

You're poking around the answers here so let's cut right to the HUGE difference betwen the ol' Slice and the new QR XPR: the Stack of the 2005 54cm Cannondale Slice is 509mm. The Stack of a 54cm QR XPR is 540mm. The frame of the QR is 31mm taller than the Slice. That's a big number and it's a big number headed in the direction you want to go. Also, "sounds like I'll have to have a very tall front end relative to the frame top tube" Nope. My prescription is a 54cm XPR with a 90mm stem in the -17 degree position with 15mm of spacer under the stem and 15mm of pedestal. A -17 stem (level to the ground) and +15, +15 is not a tall set up. A tall set up would be a (PLUS!) +17 degree stem with 30mm of spacer under the stem and 40mm of pedestal. By the way that prescription (90mm stem, -17deg, +15, +15) is 90mm LOWER than the example of the tall set up (90mm stem, +17deg, +40, +30).

You could also fit on a 56cm XPR and, by the way, the Stack of that bike is...logically...560mm. The front end on that bike would need to be a 70mm stem in the -17deg position w/ 10mm of spacer under the stem and no aerobar pedestal (slammed) and pads offset -6.25. I didn't spec this size for two reasons: first off as I like the idea of a 90mm stem adding to the stability of the steering but a 70mm on a 56 is fine too, and second I like the aesthetic of a wee bit more post exposed out of the frame - but I'm a bike snob, so we have to factor that into the equation.

And... don't stop now. If you have more questions, want more clearification get back to me here.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is perfect information. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! I look forward to making the purchase knowing that I will have chosen the proper size.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If anyone wants some guidance on how to measure the Pad Y & Pad X of your existing bike to help me prescribe your new bike....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G91tYWazBVk

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Looking at an XPR, sadly without a current bike fit. However, 5-11" male, 33.5" inseam. Wondering if a size 54 I've found with the 90mm stem with the upgrade carbon bars they offer is likely to be an appropriate size. Willing to take a chance and get fit after the purchase as it's a solid deal.

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian, and thanks in advance,

I'm looking at building a X-PR as my first TT bike, and I'm hoping to get some sizing guidance based on the fitting I did on my gravel bike a few weeks ago.
My fitter mentioned that a size 54 should work for me, and that the Profile Design component on the bike are easy to fine tune to the right position. The only thing I'd prefer to have is the QR aero stem, just for aesthetics, but I know it may not work and the profile design one would fit me better.

Height: 179 cm
Inseam: 83.7 cm
Saddle height: 72.2 cm
Crank length I felt most comfortable with: 160mm

See the screenshots below from the report I received.
I'm pretty flexible overall, and could have a saddle-handlebar drop much lower than 48mm, but that is the limitation of my gravel bike.

Hope that helps and thanks again,
Fabiano
Last edited by: fstrey: Jan 25, 24 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [fstrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian, and thanks in advance,

I'm looking at building a X-PR as my first TT bike, and I'm hoping to get some sizing guidance based on the fitting I did on my gravel bike a few weeks ago.
My fitter mentioned that a size 54 should work for me, and that the Profile Design component on the bike are easy to fine tune to the right position. The only thing I'd prefer to have is the QR aero stem, just for aesthetics, but I know it may not work and the profile design one would fit me better.

Height: 179 cm
Inseam: 83.7 cm
Saddle height: 72.2 cm
Crank length I felt most comfortable with: 160mm

See the screenshots below from the report I received.
I'm pretty flexible overall, and could have a saddle-handlebar drop much lower than 48mm, but that is the limitation of my gravel bike.

Fabiano,
Based on all you've given me... I think you're Pad Y is close to 635 and your Pad X is near 460. The right QR X-PR is a 54cm with at 90mm QR Aero Stem, 10mm of stem stack, and 10mm of aerobar pedestal. Pads would be offset -5.50.

It's a really good set up with lots of room to move fore/aft/up/down to find your perfect spot.

Also, thank you for believing in and consulting with bike fitters. Your recent gravel bike coordinates will have little do with your best tri position. Your seat height will be higher (even at the 160 cranks), the set-back will be far less, the arm pad elevation (drop) will be far greater, you'll have lots more weight on the front wheel, etc. etc.

Get back to me with questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [bigskyguy76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Looking at an XPR, sadly without a current bike fit. However, 5-11" male, 33.5" inseam. Wondering if a size 54 I've found with the 90mm stem with the upgrade carbon bars they offer is likely to be an appropriate size. Willing to take a chance and get fit after the purchase as it's a solid deal.

Thanks for any advice!

bigskyguy76,

Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling.

You've got super long legs for your height...I suspect your Pad Y is roughly 665 and your Pad Y is approximately 450mm.

Option one would be a size 52 with the Super Sonic aerobars using the Profile-Design one/seventeen 110mm stem in the +17 degree postion with 10mm of spacer under the stem and 5mm of aerobar pedestal, and arm pad offset at -4.

If you want to do the QR Aero Stem and the Aeria Ultimate bars then you'd need a size 52 with the 90 stem with 10mm stem spacer and 70mm aerobar pedestal and pads set -4.75.

Get back me here on the thread if you have more questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am looking at an X-PR. I am 178 CM and a self-measured 80.64 inseam. I am currently riding a bike I suspect is too big for me (2015 cervelo P2 58 cm). Previous fitter was sort of able to make it work, but i'm not in love with the fit and would like to find something more appropriately sized.
QR website is recommending a 52 or 54. Would I be able to make a 56 work?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [Catsup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello,

I am looking at an X-PR. I am 178 CM and a self-measured 80.64 inseam. I am currently riding a bike I suspect is too big for me (2015 cervelo P2 58 cm). Previous fitter was sort of able to make it work, but i'm not in love with the fit and would like to find something more appropriately sized.

Catsup,
Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is roughly 640 and your Pad X is in the nieghborhood of 465.

I think it's polite to answer directon questions... "Would I be able to make a 56 work?" Yes, but it's not optimal, in fact, you're be painted in a corner, it's probably too big. If you rode a size 56 XPR you'd need a 75mm stem in the -17 positon and slammed - that speaks to my assumption of 640 as a Pad Y and -17 slammed is code for "cannot go lower". This is rock bottom pad height and in the most extreme corner of the range on this size. The Pad X has some flexability in the 56 but the Y negates this as an option.

In preparation to deliver the optimal prescription it's important to note....the XPR can built with a "mortal" stem, and QR uses a Profile-Design 1/Seventeen that can be set in the +17 position or the -17 degree positon. QR smartly offers three sizes: 75, 90, or 110mm. OR QR's own design... "aero stem".

If you got the XPR with this mortal stem then the optimal size would be 54cm with a 90mm stem in the -17 position with 10mm of spacer under stem and 10mm of aerobar pedestal. The pads would be offset -4.75 which is nearly dead center in the fore/aft range. Lots of room to move up/down/fore/aft in the front end to find perfection.

if you wanted the XPR with QR's OEM aero stem.... Size 54, 90mm stem, 10mm of stem spacer* and 15mm fo aerobar pedestal, pads offset at -5.50 - all a great spot with room to move up/down/fore/aft. *QR's aero stem has two, clam shell type spacers where the base bar gets clamped in the stem you can one half atop the base bar and one half below the baser bar to arrive at your 10mm of stem spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Catsup,
Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is roughly 640 and your Pad X is in the nieghborhood of 465.

I think it's polite to answer directon questions... "Would I be able to make a 56 work?" Yes, but it's not optimal, in fact, you're be painted in a corner, it's probably too big. If you rode a size 56 XPR you'd need a 75mm stem in the -17 positon and slammed - that speaks to my assumption of 640 as a Pad Y and -17 slammed is code for "cannot go lower". This is rock bottom pad height and in the most extreme corner of the range on this size. The Pad X has some flexability in the 56 but the Y negates this as an option.

In preparation to deliver the optimal prescription it's important to note....the XPR can built with a "mortal" stem, and QR uses a Profile-Design 1/Seventeen that can be set in the +17 position or the -17 degree positon. QR smartly offers three sizes: 75, 90, or 110mm. OR QR's own design... "aero stem".

If you got the XPR with this mortal stem then the optimal size would be 54cm with a 90mm stem in the -17 position with 10mm of spacer under stem and 10mm of aerobar pedestal. The pads would be offset -4.75 which is nearly dead center in the fore/aft range. Lots of room to move up/down/fore/aft in the front end to find perfection.

if you wanted the XPR with QR's OEM aero stem.... Size 54, 90mm stem, 10mm of stem spacer* and 15mm fo aerobar pedestal, pads offset at -5.50 - all a great spot with room to move up/down/fore/aft. *QR's aero stem has two, clam shell type spacers where the base bar gets clamped in the stem you can one half atop the base bar and one half below the baser bar to arrive at your 10mm of stem spacer.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you very much for your insight! The reason i asked the question on about the 56 is because there is a great deal on a used one in my area. It sounds that would put me in the same problem I have with my current bike, where I am maxed out on my range to adjust. I will be going with the 54 with the aero stem. Wasn't too crazy about the color on the used bike anyway, and now I will be able to get the one I want haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, just wanted to report back and thank you for the guidance.
I ordered and received the X-PR with the details you provided me with. Today I did a fit and your numbers were quite close to what we ended up having.
I went for a 70 km ride today, and couldn't be happier with the bike. Legs were pretty good after the ride, and I just need to fine tune the aerobars to be more comfortable and hold the position for longer (together withe strengthening and getting used to it).
Thanks again for the valuable work and time you put helping us here. 🙏
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [fstrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, just wanted to report back and thank you for the guidance.
I ordered and received the X-PR with the details you provided me with. Today I did a fit and your numbers were quite close to what we ended up having.
I went for a 70 km ride today, and couldn't be happier with the bike. Legs were pretty good after the ride, and I just need to fine tune the aerobars to be more comfortable and hold the position for longer (together withe strengthening and getting used to it).
Thanks again for the valuable work and time you put helping us here. 🙏

Fabiano,
Fantastic news. Thanks for checking back and confirming that it all worked out.

All the best, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Fitters,

I’m 6’3” with a longer torso and currently have used a 60 cm Kestrel Talon with clip on aero bars. I wear 34 length pants. I measured my current pad placement at pad Y at 73cm and Pad X at 52 cm. I have never been bike fitted and never had any discomfort over a 70.3 riding in aero.

I’d like to pull the trigger on an X-PR and don’t know if I should go with a 56 or 58.5? Also, am I correct in thinking that a local bike fit would be better than QR’s online fit service?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [SwimBikeRunx7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Fitters,

I’m 6’3” with a longer torso and currently have used a 60 cm Kestrel Talon with clip on aero bars. I wear 34 length pants. I measured my current pad placement at pad Y at 73cm and Pad X at 52 cm. I have never been bike fitted and never had any discomfort over a 70.3 riding in aero.

I’d like to pull the trigger on an X-PR and don’t know if I should go with a 56 or 58.5? Also, am I correct in thinking that a local bike fit would be better than QR’s online fit service?

SwimBikeRunx7,
You're on a road bike with clip-ons. That 730/520 will not be your tri position. I'm betting you'll ride closer to 690/500.You can see what an outlier your current position 730/520 is HERE.

I'm certian you can ride the QR XPR at or near 690/500. The prescription is a size 58.5 with a 110mm Profile Design Stem in the -17 degree position with 15mm of spacer under the stem and 10mm of aerobar pedestal, and pads rougly center of their range. This is a good spot becasue - with the same frame size and hardware you can take the pads up & out to 730/520 (I'll eat my hat if that's your spot) and as low and short as 666/462. That's a huge range.

If you wanted to run the sexier QR Aerostem 690/500 would be a 90mm stem, 10mm in the "stem stack" (clam shell in base bar clamp equal atop and below the bar) + 15mm of aerobar pedestal, and again pads roughly centered in range. Lots of fore/aft/up/down in pad adjustment.

I want to throw out a couple of other things...
  • You'll ride in a different place on this tri bike: hips over the pedals rather than behind 'em, and more weight on the front wheel.
  • Drop to a 170mm crank and you'll be faster/happier
  • You'll ride on the forwad half of the saddle and not the back of where you very likley ride the Talon now
  • You'll you're comfy now with that current set up you'll be at risk of dozing off at 24mph on this new bike

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband and I are looking into purchasing new QR X-PR tri bikes. I’m currently riding a small BMC aluminum frame Time Machine. I had a professional fitting done a couple of years ago, but I feel like the reach is a bit long. He’s currently on a Fuji tri bike small frame. I don’t have any of our fitting specs. I’m 5’ 4.5” with a 30 inch inseam, and he’s 5’ 8” with a 31.5 inch inseam. We were thinking of doing the QR Fit-Ready service. Any suggestions on frame size and crank arm length? Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian. I am interested in purchasing a larger size for my QR bike. I am currently riding on a 54cm PrFive2. Here is my current fit.

Inseam: 85.9cm
Torso: 59.5cm
Arms: 63cm
Shoulders: 40cm
Sit bones: 105cm

Pad X Reach (rear of pad): 470
Pad X Reach (Center of pad): 530
Pad Y Stack (rear of pad): 670
Baseball Reach (X): 520
Baseball Stack (Y): 615

I am currently feeling a little squished. I had posted on this forum before I purchased this bike and you had recommended 56cm, however my fitter told me that the 54cm would be better. Now I kind of regret it. I want to know if my current PrFive2 can be adjusted so I do not feel squished, but if I do need to buy a new bike which size XPr with QR aero stem would be best.

Thank you.
Last edited by: DonutMan: Feb 28, 24 14:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for helping out!
I'm looking to buy the X-PR, but I'm in between 54 and 56. I contacted my bikefitter and he advised me to go for the 56 so that he could position me closer to the bottom bracket. I also contacted QR via the chat (gave them my height, inseam and the fact that my current roadbike is a Giant TCR Advanced 0 size ML) and they advised me to go for a 54.

I asked my bikefitter and he told me 54 is possible as well, it just means that my saddle would be a bit further back.

I'm not sure if it's more important to be positioned closer to the bottom bracket (56) or if it's going to be a tougher ride with the saddle a bit further back (54).

Any ideas? Personally I'm tempted to go for the 54 with 90mm positive rise stem.

I'm not a native English speaker and I don't know the right terminology of body/bike measurements, so give me some slack here please 😉

I'm a female:
Length: 179.5cm
Inseam: 87.6cm
Elbow-shoulder (upper arm): 30cm
Fist-Elbow (under arm): 30cm
Chest-crotch: 58cm
Shoulders (width): 44cm
Knee-Foot: 48cm

My current roadbike is a Giant TCR Advanced 0 size ML (corresponds to 56). I'm positioned rather comfortably than aggressive.
Saddle height: 76cm
Saddle setback: center bottom bracket>80mm-point: 19.3cm
Stem: 80mm 6 degrees
Difference in height between top of saddle > top of handlebars: 5.63cm
Cranks 172.5

I hope you can do something with this or give me some information on how I should decide between 54 and 56.

Thank you so much!
Last edited by: LucyLoes: Mar 4, 24 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [LucyLoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll probably go for the 56 with 90mm stem (profile positive rise) as the 56 was my bikefitter his first choice. After reading a lot of your fitting advice on this forum topic here, I think that maybe I might feel a bit too compressed on a 54.

It's just that a lot of internetpeople (I know, they're no professionals) keep telling me to go for the 54. As apparently you can make a smaller bike "bigger", but you can never make a bike that's too big "smaller". So that's just the one thing that scares me.

If you would also advise me a 56 with 90mm stem, then I'd feel 100% confident (as I've read here that your advice is always spot on!).

But there's a promotion going on right now for the X-PR and I'm too scared to miss it! So I might just order and if you would tell me to go for a different size, hopefully I can still change my order 🙈😁
Just so excited to buy a new bike and this promotion is almost killing me 😁
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Quintana Roo Tri Bikes [LucyLoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your fitter is a bit confused when they're saying that a smaller size would mean changing your position.
Your position should be fixed, the bike just fills in the space between your contact points.

There isn't that much difference in the fit range. You can see that the 20mm change in frame stack is the same as flipping over a Wing20C+ bar.
I used a rough estimate of someone your height in a conservative position, with either size there would be plenty of room to modify your pad location (the dots on the graph show possible positions and the estimated target is close to the middle of that range).
The fitting difference in tri frame sizes is quite small in comparison to the adjustment range of the aerobars

The reason to go with a 54 would be that you needed a low Pad Y, but that doesn't sound to be the case.
So the 56 having a bit more stability would probably be a stronger argument
Quote Reply

Prev Next