Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again, Ian!

Yep - not completely off the curve - just poor measurement - remeasured at a more realistic 78cm to the floor (especially as my standard trouser inseam is 30") makes more sense now.

And yes, I recall the measurement going to the center of the pad.

Assume the above doesn't change anything, seems like there's a little more give with the QRs. And would the changes require redoing the cables - I understand they might not always accommodate bigger changes.

Cheers, Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [BPdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat,

I know we've discussed this elsewhere but I wanted to get the prescription for both a PRfive and PRsix down here where you could find it anytime. We're still in this quandary where I'm thinkin' Pad Y could be 590 or as high as 665 and Pad X is 445-455 (to rear of pad).

QR PRfive - it's a 52 with a 90mm stem in the -17 position. You can then slam it to get down to 617 or "truss it up" with spacers under stem and pedestals under aerobars to get up to as high as 656. That almost covers our entire rage of Pad Ys but if you needed to go even higher you can flip the stem to the +17 position and go nuts (up to 710). As to the Pad X it hits our targets many shorter n longer (419 to 477)

QR PRsix - it's a 50 with a 90mm stem. Between the stem clamp (it's a clam shell and you can arrange it 3 different ways to position your base bar high, mid, or low) and the aerobar pedestal (ranging from slammed to 75mm) the range of Pad Y is 580 to 675. The Pad X has a big range too bracket can be flipped forward or backward and then the armrest itself has all the holes we'd expect so it's range (with 90mm stem) is 400-485.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
I would like your input on a new QR PR4 or PR5 bike. I am 5' 7 1/2â€. Inseam 31 1/2â€

Just had a Guru fitting - here are the numbers

SX - 135
SY - 671
HX - 506
HY - 609

Some additional measures
Saddle Height over bottom bracket - 738
Saddle setback -25
Drop from saddle to bars - 57
Reach from saddle to bars - 833
Pad stack - 669
Pad Reach - 456

Let me know if there is any other data you require

Thanks
Last edited by: rkalish: Sep 21, 21 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [rkalish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For your inseam measurement, stick a tape measure up in your taint and measure to the floor.

No shoes or socks on when you measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Appreciate any input you can provide. Can use your thoughts on what bike you think would be best fit and size.

Looking at QR PR5 or PR6 or would I be better off with the Canyon CF 8. I am 57 yrs old 5'11 with 34" inseam.

Pad Stack 740 (I think this is accurate although reading through this forum I have not seen anyone's Stack this high)
Pad Reach 440

Have not had a fit since 2017 after hip surgery (labral tear) and have tweaked based on feel of seat height and setback after switching to 165 cranks.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [rkalish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
I would like your input on a new QR PR4 or PR5 bike. I am 5' 7 1/2â€. Inseam 31 1/2â€

Just had a Guru fitting - here are the numbers
SX - 135
SY - 671
HX - 506
HY - 609
Some additional measures
Saddle Height over bottom bracket - 738
Saddle setback -25
Drop from saddle to bars - 57
Reach from saddle to bars - 833
Pad stack - 669
Pad Reach - 456

Let me know if there is any other data you require

rklash,
There are a couple of good options for you but this one is the best...
For the PRfour or PRfive you should get a 52 with a 90mm stem set up in the +17deg configuration, zero spacers under stem and 5mm pedestal under the aerobars, and then mount the pads 2 holes forward of center.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [trimanaxel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Appreciate any input you can provide. Can use your thoughts on what bike you think would be best fit and size.

Looking at QR PR5 or PR6 or would I be better off with the Canyon CF 8. I am 57 yrs old 5'11 with 34" inseam.

Pad Stack 740 (I think this is accurate although reading through this forum I have not seen anyone's Stack this high)
Pad Reach 440

Have not had a fit since 2017 after hip surgery (labral tear) and have tweaked based on feel of seat height and setback after switching to 165 cranks.

Thanks in advance.

trimanaxel,
Firstly... Pad Y of 740, Pad X of 440... it's a PRfive size 56 with a 110 stem in the +17config with 20mm of spacer under the stem and 5mm of aerobar pedestal, then pads back 1 hole shy of 100%.

Now, some reflection... you've got really long legs for your height. No worries many of us are built like that. The Pad X of 440 seems right but the Pad Y I would think 680 to 700 would seem more likely but you'll have room to play with lower this position if you so desire.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice- 2 additional questions.

- would a pr6 also be a 52 size?
- what length crank would you suggest?

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the advice- 2 additional questions.

- would a pr6 also be a 52 size?
- what length crank would you suggest?

rklash
I think the 54 would be better in the PRsix... set up with 110 stem, stem bracket mid, 40mm of pedestal, bracket rearward and front arm rest hole.

As to the cranks... I'm not sure what length was used during the fit but your drop is only 57mm. I would expect someone your height would love 155s and then I would think your could ride maybe a drop of 60-70mm and this prescription for the PRsix and the previous for the PRfive can make both those lower positions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

We meet again. I appreciate what you do for the community here and your previous help on the Canyon fit thread. Sadly, by the time I was ready to move, the prior model Speedmax CLX was no longer available and I'm not sure when I'll find one again. Right now, there is a 54 PRSix Disc available now and at such a great deal that I can't not consider it. It's a custom build with Aeria AL Evo bars and extensions. It currently has the 90mm stem installed. My fit numbers are:

Pad stack: 650
Pad reach: 520 (back of pad)
Saddle height: 810

Looking at the fit guide, I'm not sure I follow how to convert from the Aeria Ultimate fit range to the Aeria AL Evo. Based on the PD website, the Aeria AL Evo arm pads all the way forward give you +1.5mm arm pad offset vs. the Aeria Ultimate giving -10mm. However, the QR fit guide seems to imply that the Aeria Ultimate can get you +5mm arm pad offset at the furthest forward.

Do you know what the actual maximum pad reach would be for the 54 with 90mm stem and Aeria AL Evo aerobar?

I'm guessing with the 90mm stem I can get 515 reach, but would appreciate your help and to hear your recommendation on whether or not the 54 would work. Seems like the 110mm stem on a 54 would be the better choice and get me out to a max reach of 535 and more room to adjust stack up or down vs. a 56.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

We meet again. I appreciate what you do for the community here and your previous help on the Canyon fit thread. Sadly, by the time I was ready to move, the prior model Speedmax CLX was no longer available and I'm not sure when I'll find one again. Right now, there is a 54 PRSix Disc available now and at such a great deal that I can't not consider it. It's a custom build with Aeria AL Evo bars and extensions. It currently has the 90mm stem installed. My fit numbers are:

Pad stack: 650
Pad reach: 520 (back of pad)
Saddle height: 810

Looking at the fit guide, I'm not sure I follow how to convert from the Aeria Ultimate fit range to the Aeria AL Evo. Based on the PD website, the Aeria AL Evo arm pads all the way forward give you +1.5mm arm pad offset vs. the Aeria Ultimate giving -10mm. However, the QR fit guide seems to imply that the Aeria Ultimate can get you +5mm arm pad offset at the furthest forward.

Do you know what the actual maximum pad reach would be for the 54 with 90mm stem and Aeria AL Evo aerobar?

I'm guessing with the 90mm stem I can get 515 reach, but would appreciate your help and to hear your recommendation on whether or not the 54 would work. Seems like the 110mm stem on a 54 would be the better choice and get me out to a max reach of 535 and more room to adjust stack up or down vs. a 56.

Thank you!

mccormas,
I can tell you this... the 54cm PRsix with meet you at your Pad Y of 650 and Pad X of 520 with a 90mm stem. That's with the stock 90mm "QR stem" that comes stock on that bike and all the stock build fixens: QR 2.0 Aero Stem - and it'll get to 650 with the clam shell clamp high, mid, or low. And the stock bars on the QRsix is the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate Carbon base bar and 25C extensions. The 520 that we're worried about can be made with the stock bars so if you're sure that the 5mm more in Pad X then you're certain to get the length you need. With the 110 stem you can get out to a max of 540... but again, if you get 5 more mm then you can have 545.

Hope that helps, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
I sent you a PM as well. But I have a chance to pickup a QR PRsix size 50 for a good deal. I have it at the house and can make adjustments. I don't have my fit numbers handy but I am 5'7" - 5'8" with an inseam of 30", if I remember correctly my reach is a little longer than my legs. Let me know if the 50 would work for me. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [jpanicaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
I sent you a PM as well. But I have a chance to pickup a QR PRsix size 50 for a good deal. I have it at the house and can make adjustments. I don't have my fit numbers handy but I am 5'7" - 5'8" with an inseam of 30", if I remember correctly my reach is a little longer than my legs. Let me know if the 50 would work for me. Thank you.

Jason,
Please ignore my PM, I'm catching up on email from the wrong direction.

I think you're Pad Y is about 610 and normally I'd say that your Pad X is roughly 470 but if your reach is a bit longer than perhaps 480, 485.
Yes the size 50 QR PRsix will work with these configurations...and here's a primer on what I'm about to write: the base bar is held in the stem with some clam shell spacers. If both spacers are on top of the base bar that's the "low" position. One on top, one under that's "mid". Both on the bottom, that's "low". This is good as you can raise and lower the front end with either pedestal and or clam shell position. So to get Pad Y of 610 you can do it three ways: base bar low + 30mm pedestal... base bar mid + 20mm pedestal or base bar high with 10mm pedestal. Also, QR makes only three stems for this bike 75, 90, 110.

1) 50cm PRsix with a 75mm stem - you gotta push the pads forward 100% and that yields a Pad X of 470
2) 50cm PRsix with a 90mm stem - if you push the pads forward 100% you get 485
3) 50cm PRsix with a 110 stem - push the pads pads forward 100% and you get 505 - which is probably too long so you can just detail that by repositioning the mount location on the bracket.

Get back to me here with more questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Ian,

Jason,

I think you're Pad Y is about 610 and normally I'd say that your Pad X is roughly 470 but if your reach is a bit longer than perhaps 480, 485.
Yes the size 50 QR PRsix will work with these configurations...and here's a primer on what I'm about to write: the base bar is held in the stem with some clam shell spacers. If both spacers are on top of the base bar that's the "low" position. One on top, one under that's "mid". Both on the bottom, that's "low". This is good as you can raise and lower the front end with either pedestal and or clam shell position. So to get Pad Y of 610 you can do it three ways: base bar low + 30mm pedestal... base bar mid + 20mm pedestal or base bar high with 10mm pedestal. Also, QR makes only three stems for this bike 75, 90, 110.

1) 50cm PRsix with a 75mm stem - you gotta push the pads forward 100% and that yields a Pad X of 470
3) 50cm PRsix with a 110 stem - push the pads pads forward 100% and you get 505 - which is probably too long so you can just detail that by repositioning the mount location on the bracket.

Ian

Ian, thanks. Im not sure what spacers are on the bike as its used. Can you purchase those spacers and/or stems somewhere online or no? I will take some pictures tonight when I get home for better reference of the current setup. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [jpanicaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,

Jason,

Ian
Ian, thanks. Im not sure what spacers are on the bike as its used. Can you purchase those spacers and/or stems somewhere online or no? I will take some pictures tonight when I get home for better reference of the current setup. Thanks again.

Jason, this is best news... pretty much everything on the front end is made by Profile Design so if the seller doesn't have the bits that came with the bike they are very easy to find the spacers and bolts necessary to make it perfect.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Ian,

Jason,

Ian

Jason, this is best news... pretty much everything on the front end is made by Profile Design so if the seller doesn't have the bits that came with the bike they are very easy to find the spacers and bolts necessary to make it perfect.

Ian

Good to know! Thanks! Best place to buy those parts?

Also, when you give those dimensions, do you measure on plane or straight? i.e. if start is 4" above the finish of the measurement that will be slightly different measurement going from up to down than measuring on a straight plane
Last edited by: jpanicaro: Oct 25, 21 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

To do it right...
I'd start by identifying exactly what year/make/model the aerobars are on that bike now - there were some slight changes from 2018, 2019, to 2020, etc. as Profile updated their products. You can do that by comparing what's on the bike to what is pictured here: https://profile-design.com/ If there are any doubts I'd go to QR's website and chat 'em up, they are very good with their chat system. I'd also call Profile and discuss with them.
Once you ID the spacers needed (for example some allow tilt and some don't, they come in 5mm, 10mm, 20mm increments, if you go high you should have a bridge to stabilize) and bolt's needed I'd shop ebay, Craig'sList, and, this forum (and the classifieds of Slowtwtich) to buy pre-owned because: a) most folks get their QR with tons of Profile bits, set their position and never need/use the other spacers or bolts, b) those things are just taking up space in someone's garage and c) we have 8b people on this planet and it might be nice to grab what you need before it hits the landfill rather than source original and bring us all one moment sooner into the inevitable water wars that will make the oil wars look like a game of ring-around-the-rosie... but I digress.

If you get stuck let me know - I fit a ton of new QR PRsixes out of my studio and I can send an email to a few folks who might be willing to part with their parts.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

To do it right...
I'd start by identifying exactly what year/make/model the aerobars are on that bike now - there were some slight changes from 2018, 2019, to 2020, etc. as Profile updated their products. You can do that by comparing what's on the bike to what is pictured here: https://profile-design.com/ If there are any doubts I'd go to QR's website and chat 'em up, they are very good with their chat system. I'd also call Profile and discuss with them.
Once you ID the spacers needed (for example some allow tilt and some don't, they come in 5mm, 10mm, 20mm increments, if you go high you should have a bridge to stabilize) and bolt's needed I'd shop ebay, Craig'sList, and, this forum (and the classifieds of Slowtwtich) to buy pre-owned because: a) most folks get their QR with tons of Profile bits, set their position and never need/use the other spacers or bolts, b) those things are just taking up space in someone's garage and c) we have 8b people on this planet and it might be nice to grab what you need before it hits the landfill rather than source original and bring us all one moment sooner into the inevitable water wars that will make the oil wars look like a game of ring-around-the-rosie... but I digress.

If you get stuck let me know - I fit a ton of new QR PRsixes out of my studio and I can send an email to a few folks who might be willing to part with their parts.

Ian

Thanks, will do....I think I misunderstood on the measurements. Correct me if I am wrong but Y measurement is from the center of the crank to the top of the pad, and X measurement is from that spot above the crank to the front of the pad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to check last night as I thought the pads were a little close and they are moved all the way back which means I can move them forward to give myself more reach. I will try to take pictures/video tonight. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think I misunderstood on the measurements. Correct me if I am wrong but Y measurement is from the center of the crank to the top of the pad, and X measurement is from that spot above the crank to the front of the pad?

Here's a riff on Pad Y and Pad X...

Let's start with the thing that preceded Pad Y and X and that's "Stack" and "Reach". These are terms of art - the art being frame design/bike building (PS the father of Slowtwitch, Dan Empfield, invented these terms in ~2000 and they have helped the bike industry immensely). Both of these things, Stack and Reach, are located in the same place - the top of the middle of the head tube on a bike frame. The way you arrive there is... with the bike is level and an X and Y axis is emanating from the center of the bottom bracket (center of crank bolt): the X axis goes forward, level towards the front hub. The Y axis goes straight up towards the nose of the saddle. Then we measure out from the Y axis to the top of the head tube and in doing so we are counting the mm forward on the X axis and that gives us the "Reach". Then we measure up from the X axis to the top of the head tube and count the mm up on the Y axis and this gives us the "Stack".

"Stack" could also be called "Head Tube Y". "Reach" could also be called "Head Tube X".

Pad Y is measured up from the same X axis but now to the top of the pad. Pad X is measured out from the same Y axis and now to the back of the pad.

Based on all that let me know if you need me to re-prescribe.

Ian

For triathlon and TT bikes we use Pad Y and Pad X

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, I asked about bike size for a Canyon a few weeks ago and wanted to understand the same for Quintana Roo.

I'm 176.5 cm tall with an 80 cm inseam. My current measurements are (reach to the rear edge of the pad is):
pad x - 450 mm
pad y - 626 mm
seat height - 722 mm

Based on their site, I believe a 52cm with 90mm stem would work great but would love to confirm. (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0006/1649/7267/files/QR_PRsix_2.0_Stem_XY_Fit_Coordinates_-_Profile_Aeria_with_Ergo_armrests.pdf?3311666817806745570)

Thanks for the help
Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [oldrower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian, I wanted to understand the same for Quintana Roo.

I'm 176.5 cm tall with an 80 cm inseam. My current measurements are (reach to the rear edge of the pad is):
pad x - 450 mm
pad y - 626 mm
seat height - 722 mm

Based on their site, I believe a 52cm with 90mm stem would work great but would love to confirm.

Thanks for the help
Jimmy

Jimmy,
For the PRsix (same geometry/prescription for the PRsix2). You can fit on a 50, 52, and 54. I'm immediately tossing out the 54 because it's a pretty extreme corner of the bike's capabilities it's never great to be up against the wall. I'm going to pick the 52 over the 50 because I think it's just a better set up and the details of that are this...

Size 52, 90mm stem, mid clamp (the stem holds the base bar with a two piece, clam shell system. The "mid clamp" means one on top, one on bottom), 15mm of arm pad pedestal, bracket set rearward, and arm rest hole rearward.

So, in short, you are dead on with your pick, well done!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [oldrower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldrower,

Well.... QR has now released their new VPR. At this moment I have the prescriber for the just the size 54 so... maybe I can make some recommendations on that bike in a day or two as well.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Very exciting. It looks great. I found this fit coordinate data for the VPR w/ the PRO fit. - https://cdn.shopify.com/...PRO.pdf?v=1635972339

It looks like a 52 is still the best. Would love your thoughts after you get your data
Thanks!
Last edited by: oldrower: Nov 4, 21 11:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next