Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What are your fit numbers?

“3. FORMULA….If all you have to offer is your overall height, your inseam, and your saddle height – great, I’ll take it! With that I can get pretty darn close to your Pad Y and Pad X and prescribe the details from there.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [metaprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm finally ready to buy a Triathlon Bike and i'm hoping you can help me out.

I have no idea where to start as i'm kinda pinched for time between work and raising two little kids. The QR website chat person told me i'd fit a 52cm X-PR, my local bike shop said i'd probably fit a 54cm Felt IA or B. Is this close enough to make a purchase?

I'm 45yo, pretty fit, 5 foot 9 inch 148 pounds living in north/central NJ. 79cm inseam. 95cm saddle height from floor.

My current bike is a 54cm 2009 Trek Madone with clipon aero bars which i had to buy a longer seat tube for because the original one it came with was just over the maximum safe height. I ride this bike about 4-6hrs per week and did IMMD and IMLP on it in 6hrs and then ran a 4hr marathon so i'd say my current fit is pretty good for a road bike.

Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

metaprinter,
Here's what's cool about a guy like you switching from a road bike clip-ons to a pure tri bike position.... that 6 hour Placid split followed by a 4 hour run will probalby drop down to a 5:40 bike split and a 3:50 run - and voila! You'll be gifted 30 min just from the position.

Based on the info you've give me: morphology (longish legs), past position, healthy, and fit.... I'd say your Pad Y is roughly 630 and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 445.

The QR X-PR comes with some different options for the front end and I'm going to describe & prescribe those so you can move forward with your purchase decision fully informed... and, here are a few notes and give you faith in my recomendations: I'm a bike fitter -sure, anyone leading a thread like this better be. I'm also a USAT Level 3 Certified Coach and have been coaching triathlon, full time for over two decades. That's the history, those are the qualifcations that guide my advise to you below.

Option 1) QR X-PR size 52 with what I'm going to call the "mortal" front end. It's the Profile-Design 1-Seventeen stem, and Profile-Design 35a aerobar extensions. You'd want to choose the 90mm stem (QR offers a 110 and a 75mm as well), have it positioned in the -17 degree position (this stem can be flopped to be +17 as well), under the stem you'd need 10mm of spacer and under the aerobars you'd need 20mm of pedestal. The arm pads would be mounted dead center in the range. This is my favorite front-end option for you because of ease of adjustability. If Pad Y of 630 feels to low you can go 40mm higher - if the 630 feels too high you can down 30mm. If the pad distance feels to long you can shrink your cockpit 27mm or extend it 32mm. There's lots of room to move to find perfection with all the same hardware. There will be a tiny bit of cable exposed but not much.

Option 2) QR X-PR size 54 with what I'm going to call the "super" front end. It's QR's own, OEM "Aero Stem" paired with a Profile-Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar system. The stem would be the 90mm (there's a 110 and 75 here as well), the stem can only be positioned one way, you'd need 10mm of "stem stack" (the bar clamp has clam-shell spacers in it, you'll have one below and one above the base bar to get the height right) and under the aerobar you'd need 15mm of pedestal. The arm pads would be positioned 4 holes foward of all the way back. You'll have room to move here too: 40mm up, 25mm down...22m shorter cockpit, 50mm longer cockpit.

Option 3) QR X-PR size 52 with the "super" stem but the basic, P-D base bar and 35a aerobars. 10mm in stem clamp (one half of the shell below, one half above the base bar) and 25mm of aerobar pedestal. Arm pads 3 holes forward of all the way back. Movement range is 15mm higher, 25mm lower, 15mm shorter, 50mm longer.

Considerations...
Cranks: get the shortest cranks (160mm) on the bike. 52x36 rings are fine paired with the 11x30 12 speed cassette
Money: the Aeria Ultimate bar is ~$1,000. I'd rather you spend more to move to Ultegra Di2 over the 105 (ultegra is lighter).
Aesthetics: how your bike looks is important - get a paint color and that will love for a decade into the future.
Hydration: we're talking BTA here (Between The Aerobars) - if you want the super sexy Aeria Ultimate hydration system you have to get the Aeria Ultimate front end. I think the Profile HC-800 BTA is VERY good and can be attached to the mortal front end.
Wheels: (maybe this should be under money too) if buget is tight get Ultegra Di2 groupset and stay with the basic wheels - and upgrade the wheel set in a few years time. If can swing it now get the Hed 60mm deep.

Get back to me here if you have any questions

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,
Thank you so much for thoughtful and detailed response. This is exactly the type of information i was looking for!!!!
Robert
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [metaprinter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,
Thank you so much for thoughtful and detailed response. This is exactly the type of information i was looking for!!!!

You bet Robert. Get back to me here if you have any more questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok looking at a used 2019 PRSix. I have a 56 and a 58.5 option. Which should I get? These measurements are a bit dated but should apply. I intend to use a 165 or 170 crank though, not a 162.5 like that sheet says. All my other bikes have 175.
Last edited by: kdizzle: Mar 19, 23 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [kdizzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ok looking at a used 2019 PRSix. I have a 56 and a 58.5 option. Which should I get? These measurements are a bit dated but should apply. I intend to use a 165 or 170 crank though, not a 162.5 like that sheet says. All my other bikes have 175.

kdizzle,
while you could fit on either I think the 58.5 gives your more wiggle room to tweak your position in the future.

PRsix, Size 58.5 with a 110 stem, mid clamp (where the stem grabs the base bar - one half on top, one half under)+ 25mm of pedestal, arm rest braket forward and arm rest hole middle.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,
I am looking at the new generation of QR bike, particularly X-PR for my self and my father in law. He has a CD 0.1 and I have a PRFive rim brake. He is 66 and has been doing Ironman for decade and half and has set his QR where he is very comfortable. I measured his PAD X, Y (back of the armrest) based on your guide and they are as follows:

Paul's Measurements on CD0.1
Pad X: 432
Pad Y: 711
Seat : 736

This is my third year of triathlons and my fitter set me on a used PRfive in a position I am comfortable with and can sustain for the duration of an IM. I do believe I can get into more aggressive position as seasons progress.

Shubh'd measurements on PRfive (54)
Pad X: 424
Pad Y: 661
Seat: 780
My PRfive size 54 is set with 30 mm spacers and -17 stem 90 mm with pads on the rearmost position. I use the Aeria faceplate and the Aeria hydration and have tilted the aerobars. I would prefer to keep a similar hydration setup on xpr.

Kindly suggest the bikes with setup that would best serve in our cases.
Thank you,
Shubh
Last edited by: thedarkprince: Apr 10, 23 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi STers,

I recently switched out my stem on my QR PRFour. It came with a 75mm stem and I now have a 120mm stem. However, there is now a gap between the headtube and the Profile Design Aeria hydration system (previously, the rubber flaps attached to the Aeria overlapped with the headtube).

Should I be concerned for any reason? I think at most there could be an aero penalty because the Aeria is no longer flush with the headtube. But I thought I'd check with the community.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [thedarkprince] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am looking at the new generation of QR bike, particularly X-PR for my self and my father in law. He has a CD 0.1 and I have a PRFive rim brake. He is 66 and has been doing Ironman for decade and half and has set his QR where he is very comfortable. I measured his PAD X, Y (back of the armrest) based on your guide and they are as follows:
Paul's Measurements on CD0.1
Pad X: 432
Pad Y: 711
Seat : 736

This is my third year of triathlons and my fitter set me on a used PRfive in a position I am comfortable with and can sustain for the duration of an IM. I do believe I can get into more aggressive position as seasons progress.
Shubh'd measurements on PRfive (54)
Pad X: 424
Pad Y: 661
Seat: 780
My PRfive size 54 is set with 30 mm spacers and -17 stem 90 mm with pads on the rearmost position. I use the Aeria faceplate and the Aeria hydration and have tilted the aerobars. I would prefer to keep a similar hydration setup on xpr.

Kindly suggest the bikes with setup that would best serve in our cases.
Thank you

Shubh,

Let me start by saying this: the X-PR comes with a couple of front end options:
1) QR Aero Stem with PD (Profile-Design) Aeria Ultimate bars
2) QR Aero Stem with PD Sonic 35a front end
3) PR 1-Seventeen Stem with Sonic 35a
4) PR 1-Seventeen Stem with Supersonic Ergo 35 SLC

In short the QR Aero stem is an OEM/Proprietary design stem and the 1-Seventeen is a "mortal" stem. They result in different fit posibilities.

For Paul at 711/432... the best X-PR set up is a size 56 with a Profile-Design 90mm 1-Seventeen stem set in the +17deg position with 10mm of spacer under the stem and 20mm of aerobar pedestal and pads back 2 holes shy of 100% back.

For you at 661/424 you have some options...
1) 56cm X-PR w/ QR Aero Stem and Aeria Ultimate bars - stem stack +10 with 25mm of aerobar pedestal, pads offset at -8.50.
or
2) 54cm X-PR w/ 70mm PD 1-Seventeen stem set in the -17deg position with 1.5mm of spacer under stem and 25mm of aerobar pedestal and pad offset -6.25

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin,

Yeah, you could ride that - no worries. Also, you go here and buy the original rubber flaps that aren't cut...

https://profile-design.com/...=30c8cd0ab&_ss=r

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch, Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I'd like to see them selling is the V-PR head tube gasket for the Aeria with the lower tapered portion.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PD don't make any of the bits that customise the HSF Aeria for the V-PR. That's all QR
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea if they’ll sell that gasket separately?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best bet is to contact QR customer service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, to close the loop, here is my initial fit on the V-PR with the earlier posted coordinates. Used a 130 stem, subsonic brackets and have the arm pads fully forward. 2 spacers still under the stem. Post-aero testing if the spacers are still there I’ll swap the stock PD 10A for a 20C basebar, remove the spacers and raise the arm pads to gain some separation from the bar.
Last edited by: LOW2000: Apr 16, 23 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your crank length?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are the factory 172.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to try 155mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following aero testing, if it is recommended I’d have no problem going shorter. I’m also 6’4” and the impact isn’t likely going to be incredibly significant, it didn’t make much change on the fit bike during the pre-purchase session. It’s also not a cheap experiment as there aren’t a plethora of 12-sp used cranks floating around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

David,

I'm going to make some assumptions here, the first being that she'll want to ride electronic shifting and QR's only making the X-PR and V-PR with Di2 moving forward so....

QR makes the X-PR with 4 different front ends:
  1. PD (Profile-Design) 1/17 stem w/ PD Sonic 35A aerobars
  2. PD 1/17 stem w/ PD Supersonic Ergo + 35 SLC aerobars
  3. QR Aero Stem w/ PD Sonic 35A aerobars
  4. QR Aero Stem w/ Aeria Ultimate front end
PY 607/ PX 427...
  1. QR X-PR size 50 with a 110stem in the -17deg position with 17mm of spacer under the stem and 15mm of aerobar pedestal ,and armrest off set -6.25 (AKA pads set 4 holes fwd of 100% back)
  2. Same config for the Supersonic Erog w/ SLC bars
  3. QR-XPR size 50 with 75mm QR stem, Zero stem spacer with 30mm of aerobar pedestal, armrest offset -4 (AKA center hole)
  4. QR-XPR size 50 with 110mm QR Stem (this is the Aeria mind you), +10 stem spacer with 35mm of pedestal, armrest offset -7

The V-PR comes with a Vision Pro cockpit or Vision TFA

For the Vision Pro... V-PR size 50 with 35mm of spacer, armrest bracket rearward, armrest bolted into row 4 (counting from the back) of the bridge and row 2 (AKA the middle) of the armrest.

For the Visiion TFA... V-PR size 52 with 25mm of spacer, armrest bracket rearward, armrest bulted into row 5 (count from back) of the bridge and row 2 (there are 4 holes in this armrest, counting from the back again) of the armrest.

That's a lot... if you have questions get back to me here.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm David's daughter Annecy. Thank you so much for your help.

Here is what I'm looking at getting. I would appreciate any suggestions if you recommend any changes.
Quintana Roo X-PR size 50
Ultegra Di2 components
QR aero stem
20C+ race/ergo+ 35SLC aerobars
Aeria hydration system
HED Vanquish RC6 performance disc wheels

I don't have much technical knowledge about bikes, so I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thank you so much again!
Annecy
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for the Quintana Roo PR Tri Bikes [annecydaggett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm David's daughter Annecy. Thank you so much for your help.
Here is what I'm looking at getting. I would appreciate any suggestions if you recommend any changes.
Quintana Roo X-PR size 50
Ultegra Di2 components
QR aero stem
20C+ race/ergo+ 35SLC aerobars
Aeria hydration system
HED Vanquish RC6 performance disc wheels
I don't have much technical knowledge about bikes, so I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Thank you so much again!

Annecy,
Hope you're healing rapidly!

Well, you're all set.
QR X-PR 50cm with the 110mm QR Aero Stem, +10mm of stem spacer, +35mm of aerobar pedestal, and arm rest offset of -7.

This frontend will allow you to plug the Aeria Ultimate hydration system right into it.

QR has a really cool service called "race ready" (I'm pretty sure that's its name) where youc can get a white glove delivery of your bike to your home and it'll be in your coordinates, perfect tire pressure, the works - just put on pedals and ride.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks Ian! We appreciate your help!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I wanted get your opinion on sizing for a PRFour. In short, I saw a bike fitter and was recommended to purchase a size 50 PRFour + 75mm stem. However, the bike felt very small to me. I exchanged the bike for a size 54 and eventually added a 120mm stem. I've pushed the seat as far back as possible and the extensions as far forward as possible. I think I have achieved a sustainable position for a 70.3 but two questions linger in my mind:
  1. Is a size 54 + 120mm right for me? I've maximized the reach possible with this combination, so I'm wondering if I should have ordered a size 56
  2. Is the PRFour's geometry appropriate for my body proportions? If I had a size 56, I would have more adjustability for the reach but the seat height would be quite low.
Measurements from my fitter, most likely inaccurate given that I returned the bike recommended to me:
  • Pad Y - 602mm
  • Pad X (Center) - 452mm
  • Pad X (Rear) - 410mm
My body measurements:
  • Height - 5'10" (178cm)
  • Inseam - 31" (78cm)
  • Weight - 150lbs (68kg)

Video of my current setup and position via My Velo Fit:

https://www.myvelofit.com/...07-b65a-19ff5d729366

Youtube link:

Output from My Velo Fit:

Seat and extensions positions: