Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crowie podiumed in Kona on his first full ironman I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:

Yes but it wasn't in Kona. His first Ironman was in Australia.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Sep 19, 19 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
jpay wrote:

Yes but it wasn't in Kona.....

Where was it then?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
jpay wrote:

Where was it then?

Ironman Australia 2007 where he came 3rd..
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Crumpy wrote:
https://simonward.podbean.com

As AB heads to Arizona for training prior to Hawaii, he gives a good review of his Nice 70.3 performance with lessons learned and expectations for Kona.

Thank you.

He says he'll try to hold back in Kona at the start of the bike.

We will see if he does :)

It was interesting hearing his review of Nice - maybe not as bad as it seemed from the outside.

AB is a smart guy. If he does not hold back it will be for a racing reason that, based on his experience, will pay dividend for the entire race. His tactics for Nice were good. He was beaten by a worthy champ who was better than him on the day. Iden did great to come out in the front swim pack which put him in a strong position from the start.

Nice was a long climb and likely AB did not fuel enough for the considerable effort. RvB also changed the dynamics that day with his intimate knowledge of the descent which, as shown, negated this effort.

If you have not caught up with the podcast below, it is worth listening to (and actually better than the one with Simon). Mark, the host, has a pub style type chat that relaxes AB to get some decent insights. It was recorded post Ireland and pre-Nice and demonstrates AB's passion for long distance from an early age.

https://www.spreaker.com/...athlon-brick-session
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
I don't know about sprints, but definitely you could get kona slots at Mrs T's back in the 90s. that was oly distance if memory serves. . .

You could get a Kona spot in Smithers BC (Olympic) up until early 90’s.

Also wildflower was a perennial early season favourite Q among pros.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Crumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crumpy wrote:
bluefever wrote:
Crumpy wrote:

As AB heads to Arizona for training prior to Hawaii, he gives a good review of his Nice 70.3 performance with lessons learned and expectations for Kona.

Thank you.

It was interesting hearing his review of Nice - maybe not as bad as it seemed from the outside.

AB is a smart guy. If he does not hold back it will be for a racing reason that, based on his experience, will pay dividend for the entire race. His tactics for Nice were good. He was beaten by a worthy champ who was better than him on the day. Iden did great to come out in the front swim pack which put him in a strong position from the start.

Nice was a long climb and likely AB did not fuel enough for the considerable effort. RvB also changed the dynamics that day with his intimate knowledge of the descent which, as shown, negated this effort.

If you have not caught up with the podcast below, it is worth listening to (and actually better than the one with Simon). Mark, the host, has a pub style type chat that relaxes AB to get some decent insights. It was recorded post Ireland and pre-Nice and demonstrates AB's passion for long distance from an early age.

Note: the interview with AB starts after 18 mins
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
jpay wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
jpay wrote:

Where was it then?

Ironman Australia 2007 where he came 3rd..

Ahh!! For some reason I had it in my head he qualified by winning 70.3 world champs and then didn't do an ironman before Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Crumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crumpy wrote:
bluefever wrote:
Crumpy wrote:

Thank you.

I'll have a listen, thanks.

Good point about RvB. Perhaps a very different result if it had been a flat course. I wonder if having a TT bike over road made any difference? My BMC road bike is 6.8kg, almost 3kg lighter than my BMC TT bike, it would certainly be quicker climbing and descending.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Crumpy wrote:

I wonder what he means by that? Surely how hard and aggressive he rides is dictated by how the likes of Frodo and Wurf ride. There's some, albeit small, gains from being 12m behind a rider, surely he would jump on the Wurf's tail as he goes past? And letting Frodo go would be giving up any chance of victory.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I.

Mega exciting. I'm gonna be watching, drinking and eventually singing "Come on Ali" to the Dexys Midnight Runners melody.

Haha. It's going to be a good race! Is this the strongest field for male Pros in a long time(ever)?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Ali will master Kona (at least for a long while) and I could see him doing a Simon Lessing type race and not even finishing

Part of my rationale is thinking

1. heat is not his friend especially for his first year where even a trained machine like he is, won't be use to the length of the day in conditions that are manageable for sub 4hr races but quite a different thing for 8hr races. I know some will say he races fine in heat but Ive seen evidence it takes a lot out of him given how he tends to race. He gets it done in heat at olympic distance but he's cleary had some epic torture fests when its hot.

2.I also think he is an emotional racer. Which for shorter events works just fine (as he has well proven). Again, I fear the patience needed for Kona is just not for him. I think he could start out patient and make the mistake of either getting bored sitting in and start mixing it up or simply thinking he'll hammer away off front early. I could see him being a major factor until later in the bike and then he falters and does not deliver the run weapon so many think he will do.

3. I have not seen proof he knows how to fuel for the distance. Ireland was not convincing he had that working and it was not the best practice with it being cold. And maybe he slowed it down on purpose but it did not look like he was going to rip off a sub 2:45 in heat based on that run. Saying that I suspect he'll be fitter and leaner by Kona

My 2 cents is Kona will simply not suit how he is wired and races. Feel free to bring this post back if he wins !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a damn heavy bike! My P5D weighs 8.1kg v my road bike at 6.7kg and in BBS it had my TT bike faster by several minutes (and it was spot on for actual day/bike I chose). One thing about Nice, it had about 35km of TT heaven flat that was a huge negative for a road bike. Also, the descent was not very technical, for a competent rider, so the bike choice there made little if any difference.

I enjoyed listening to AB in the podcast, and it was reassuring that he respects the race and has more rational thought than many here give him credit for. Also, spending a month in the heat of AZ and Kona will allow him to acclimate and test his fueling under those difficult conditions. I give him a shot at doing the unthinkable, but also see Kona as course that suits only a very few (those that magically don't lose any salt in their sweat) and it is a very tough race environment that regularly chews up the best and most well prepared.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
I don't think Ali will master Kona (at least for a long while) and I could see him doing a Simon Lessing type race and not even finishing

Part of my rationale is thinking

1. heat is not his friend

This gets mentioned a lot, but whenever anyone queries it, no-one can point out an instance where he has actually struggled in the heat. In fact a lot of his big wins have come in Kona like conditions, Rio, Beijng, Gold Coast etc There was one race in the heat where he ran a 35min 10km, but that was his first race back after a long injury lay off and the only reason is his brother has struggled a few times and so he gets tarred with the same brush.

Edit - just saw that he's currently training in the Arizona desert, 100F heat.
Last edited by: zedzded: Sep 19, 19 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
That is a damn heavy bike! My P5D weighs 8.1kg v my road bike at 6.7kg and in BBS it had my TT bike faster by several minutes (and it was spot on for actual day/bike I chose). One thing about Nice, it had about 35km of TT heaven flat that was a huge negative for a road bike. Also, the descent was not very technical, for a competent rider, so the bike choice there made little if any difference.

I enjoyed listening to AB in the podcast, and it was reassuring that he respects the race and has more rational thought than many here give him credit for. Also, spending a month in the heat of AZ and Kona will allow him to acclimate and test his fueling under those difficult conditions. I give him a shot at doing the unthinkable, but also see Kona as course that suits only a very few (those that magically don't lose any salt in their sweat) and it is a very tough race environment that regularly chews up the best and most well prepared.

Sorry 2 kg. 6.8 vs 8.8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear! I thought the BMC was lighter!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot see him in the Podium. This why
- Not enough training for IM
- First time in Kona has a toll
- He suffers in heat. One thing is an 1.50h effort, a very different one is an 8hs'.
- Too many contenders to beat: Frodo, Lange, Kienle, Aernouts, Currie, Beals, Mc Namee, ...even Wurf or Sanders, and my dark horse, Eneko Llanos...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I cannot see him in the Podium. This why

- He suffers in heat. .

For the love of God...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol I think heat has maybe even a bigger effect in shorter more intense races that can still go close to 2 hours as your body temperature is going be much hotter given the intensity. Witness some of the carnage at hot itu races.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts are he'll be fine until about 6 miles into the run. This is based on both IM Ireland and Nice. The drop off in his run in both races was quite a lot in both races and he didn't look great in either. What he eventually runs will still keep him inside the top10 but it won't be low 2:4X.

He has quoted he still thinks he could have run 1:07 for the run in Nice, but I honestly can't see where he is getting this from. That is over 3 mins quicker. So the only explanation for this belief is there was an element of under nutrition which for me is more worrying going into Kona. He has done this in a couple of 70.3s now.

Longer term I think once he gets things figured out and fully commits then I don't see anyone beating him in races outside Kona. Not even Frodo (age will catch up with him). 400W FTP? He can potentially ride 300-320W while having a sub 48 swim and if he gets things right a sub 2:40 run.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only he had access to to world class coaches like Malcolm Brown or Jack Maitland or a heat chamber at a university or a great nutrition company backing him with custom products if so needed or even my email... 🤣🤣

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
If only he had access to to world class coaches like Malcolm Brown or Jack Maitland or a heat chamber at a university or a great nutrition company backing him with custom products if so needed or even my email... 🤣🤣

Ha ha. I actually think old Malcolm has retired but was a great influence on the brothers. Great coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently AB is training with quite a lot intensity.

On the other hand Iden is training (thanks Arild for the insight in Norwegian training routine) with much more low and medium intensity, with his teammates Blu and Stornes.

IMO, from this simple observation, I would guess (not a very educated guess, however) that at 70.3 race pace, AB is relying more than Iden on glycogen, while Iden is relying more than AB on fat consumption.

FTP is obtained 100% from glycogen consumption. Great for an hour record, but does this have an impact on IM distance ?
No. Not directly.
A 70kg guy with a FTP of 380w can be much better in IM than a 70kg guy with 400w FTP, if its fat consumption is better trained. Because IM is more relying on fat consumption.

Don't get me wrong, AB is great.

But my view is that he is relying too much on sugar consumption, creating problems at 70.3 distance and even more at IM distance :
70.3 Nice WC : slowing at the end, and apparently getting gastric issues
IM Ireland : seriously slowing at the end, not capable of feeding the body.

My view for Kona :
AT not on the podium. Possibly top 10. Possibly not finishing with gastric issues.
If Iden was in Kona, he would blow AT away :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Apparently AB is training with quite a lot intensity.

Where do you get this from?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
I think Luc van Lierde ran his first ever marathon at kona to win in record time

Ahem...

I think we'll leave Luc out of any conversations
Quote Reply

Prev Next