Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Yes, it is happening!
He will try to qualify 23. June at IM Ireland.

Qualifying should be "easy" (bar injuries), but how will he deal with the Kona heat?

What a race Kona could be this year, vengence for Kienle/Frodeno, Lange still running fast! Too bad Lionel is not going to be in peak condition, only need Javier then (who will not attend due to Olympics).

Am I the only one who wants to see the Brownlees stay with Olympic and Sprint distance racing? It's their choice, and I don't know the backstory, but I don't get the fascination with IM-distance, nor why the focus of the entire sport has become about a single day. I love watching those boys crush shorter races.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cause they are not getting any younger, and shorter distances suit younger bodies. šŸ˜¬
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Cause they are not getting any younger, and shorter distances suit younger bodies. šŸ˜¬

They're 29 and 31, which is still fairly young in my book. I also look at it from a financial standpoint - you can race so much more frequently with short distance (this is why, for example, Sarah Haskins hasn't done IM). But perhaps the Brownlees have banked enough or have found a way to make long distance feasible with sponsorships and such. It's their life and not mine - I just find the shorter racing a lot more entertaining and impressive from an athleticism standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alastair has won 2 gold medals at the Olympics. Its simple to him - if he does not feel like he can win a third why go back. He has been watching Kona since he was 8 years old and wants to win that race. Its a situation nobody else will be able to relate to because nobody else already has 2 olympic gold medals for triathlon. Whatever floats his boat I guess.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread makes me feel old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AB has been an big proponent against the ā€œglobalizationā€ of the WTS series travel demands. Along with the world championship losing its ā€œworld championshipā€ feel to more of a ā€œseries championā€ (id be curious how many times wts champion didnā€™t win grand final). I also think he was bored of it in addition to the # of races it put on the series.

I think he simply got bored of it (heā€™s such a 1 day stud; 2 x Olympic champion) + broken down from his intensity training style.

I donā€™t think heā€™ll be Kona successful but I donā€™t think itā€™ll matter. I also donā€™t give too much credence in the ā€œgreatestā€, as I think itā€™s just fodder so even if he ā€œfails to live up to expectationsā€ heā€™s going to be fine no matter what he does.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://simonward.podbean.com

As AB heads to Arizona for training prior to Hawaii, he gives a good review of his Nice 70.3 performance with lessons learned and expectations for Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who wants to see the Brownlees stay with Olympic and Sprint distance racing? //

Apparently so. I just listened to his podcast, and it is pretty clear that 20 years of doing nothing but sprints, has pretty much satisfied his itch there. Like he said, he has been hearing and watching Kona since he was 8. He feels it would be a big disservice to his career if he didnt at least give it a good go. To me, it has been a lot more exciting to see him in 70.3's, raising the bar there like he did in ITU. To watch him just win another ITU race to go with all the rest, not so exciting anymore. Fun to watch for sure, but it is even more fun when he comes and does well at long distance, then goes back once in awhile to sprint again, kind of a surprise each time.

As for Kona, it will also be fun to have him in the race. No doubt he will figure in the podium spots for 7 hours, then we will see. He may need this one race as a lesson before he gives it a real go. Or it will demoralize him to the point of just punting on this race. It happened to Simon Lessing, Spencer Smith, and a lot of others who dominated all distances, except for this one, in this place..

One thing for sure, he will change the dynamic of the swim. Whoever and whatever pace there is, he will swim it. IF history is any lesson, Josh should take it out hard, then put the pedal to the metal in the 2nd half. Instead of just him out there dangling like a carrot, he will have at least Ali and Frodo, and probably one or two more this time. Its not that those guys couldn't swim his pace on his feet, just there wasnt much point in it. Now there is something to be gained, popping the lead group, which in turn pops the 2nd and on down groups too. And you gain a couple guys that can now ride on the front, either making others ride harder to catch, or even staying out there waiting for the lone one or two riders to come through at about 80/90 miles.. Great stuff, cant wait!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

As for Kona, it will also be fun to have him in the race. No doubt he will figure in the podium spots for 7 hours, then we will see. He may need this one race as a lesson before he gives it a real go. Or it will demoralize him to the point of just punting on this race. It happened to Simon Lessing, Spencer Smith, and a lot of others who dominated all distances, except for this one, in this place..

One thing for sure, he will change the dynamic of the swim. Whoever and whatever pace there is, he will swim it. IF history is any lesson, Josh should take it out hard, then put the pedal to the metal in the 2nd half. Instead of just him out there dangling like a carrot, he will have at least Ali and Frodo, and probably one or two more this time. Its not that those guys couldn't swim his pace on his feet, just there wasnt much point in it. Now there is something to be gained, popping the lead group, which in turn pops the 2nd and on down groups too. And you gain a couple guys that can now ride on the front, either making others ride harder to catch, or even staying out there waiting for the lone one or two riders to come through at about 80/90 miles.. Great stuff, cant wait!!!

Yeah spot on Monty. The race dynamics are going to be completely different with him there and of course Frodo. What is going through Patrick Lange's mind? What are his race tactics going to be? Last year he knew the guys in front of him were going to be 10 - 15mins slower than him on the run, now he has Brownlee and Frodo who are as quick as him. Potentially they could exit T2 as much as 10 12 mins ahead of him. Which would be pretty much game over. Personally I can't see Lange featuring. This a very different race to 2017 and 2018, one that doesn't suit him at all. Also with a little bit of a target on his back with his drafting and domestique escapades, you would think that would further affect his race? If he has to ride legally, a top 10 finish would be all he could hope for.

Similarly for Lionel Sanders. I hope he races well in Kona and comes away from the race with a positive mindset, irrespective of his result. And I hope he goes in with realistic goals. Obviously he wants to win, but surely he must be aware of how much more difficult his job is going to be with Frodo and Brownlee there now. Again top 10 would be a good achievement for him and although I'd love him to win Kona one day, it's not going to happen whilst there are athletes like Frodo and Brownlee that can swim, bike and run. He'll be giving up 6, 7 min on the swim and 10 - 12mins on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also I think we need to knock this notion on the head that Brownlee is going to blow up like some middle aged age grouper. People have mentioned he "blew up" in Nice. He rode a tough bike section on a bike 3kg heavier than Idens, leading most of the way and then ran one of the quickest run splits... He may not win Kona, he may not podium in Kona, but he's not going to be walking unless he breaks a leg. His competitive streak may be his undoing, however. Lets say he gets off the bike with Frodo with a handsome lead on the chasing pack, which is what i think will happen, and Frodo drops the hammer, does Brownlee go with him or run his own race and settle for a podium finish? If he does the former there is a chance he will suffer, slow down a bit (not blow up) and get caught, ending up 5th or whatever, but really, if for him, a podium is his main goal, (winning a "nicetohave") then he should get there with a conservative(ish) approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's funny about this is that every team director that runs a squad that's on the WTS wants everyone that is old to graduate so they can bring through younger talent. Gomez-Noya being one of the bigger names that has needed to move on from their national program for awhile. Yes he wins, but you can bet the team director wants to move a 22 yr old into his slot. The Brownlees are in the age sweet spot where they need to begin their easing out of the WTS and focus on 70.3s and Iron 140.6. It's possible he could contend for the golden double of Kona and a Gold Medal.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got $100 says Lange beats Brownlee. Take that action?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I got $100 says Lange beats Brownlee. Take that action?

Like taking candy from a baby :)

Anything can happen, it's a long race. But for Lange to beat Brownlee, he's going to have to draft his arse off on the bike and/or have a domestique again. And I would hazard a guess the officials will be keeping a close eye on him. And even if he does get round the bike course whilst drafting his arse off, he most likely would still have 10mins to make up on the run, so Brownlee would have to really fuck up on the run...

Nice 70.3 is very different to Kona. So perhaps I'm comparing apples and oranges, but that 14 minute bike split discrepancy between Brownlee and Lange could be considered significant? 14mins is a fair whack over a 70.3. Hilly course, Lange can't draft or use a domestique effectively. His bike split was bettered by age groupers in their 50s. He can beat Brownlee, but he will have to break the rules to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My money is on the guy who has repeatedly shown he can run 2:39 in the Kona heat and is the Kona overall course record holder. Call me crazy.

Time will tell. I root for Brownlee, but will happily take your money when Lange goes flying past with a 2 liter bottle of coke stuffed in his kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's funny about this is that every team director that runs a squad that's on the WTS wants everyone that is old to graduate so they can bring through younger talent. Gomez-Noya being one of the bigger names that has needed to move on from their national program for awhile. Yes he wins, but you can bet the team director wants to move a 22 yr old into his slot.

------

No, team directors are all about high performance results at the WTS and Olympic Games level. They get massive amounts of money on results. So what they want is the young guns to kick the ass of the "old guys" and put them to pasture. That's the natural progression that means your doing things right.

So it's not about wanting the young guns their time. They want the young guns who can win, that's who they want to have the slots and the time.

ETA: And no an "old guy" who's still trucking all the young guns, that's on the younger athletes to step their game up. This isn't participation this is about performance. If the young guys cant do it, then they'll filter out and someone else will.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 18, 19 19:45
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
My money is on the guy who has repeatedly shown he can run 2:39 in the Kona heat and is the Kona overall course record holder. Call me crazy.

Time will tell. I root for Brownlee, but will happily take your money when Lange goes flying past with a 2 liter bottle of coke stuffed in his kit.

I do love watching the guy run and loved his aid station technique, but lets not forget that he rode quite a bit easier than a few of the other guys and that this year he most likely will have to ride harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not related but I remember (last year?) when there was a distinct lateral split in the field in the first 1km, ie two different groups about 50m away but beside each other.

I kept wondering as I was watching ā€œwhoā€™s got this right to the boatā€

Could have been 2017, Iā€™ll try to find the video.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Not related but I remember (last year?) when there was a distinct lateral split in the field in the first 1km, ie two different groups about 50m away but beside each other.

I kept wondering as I was watching ā€œwhoā€™s got this right to the boatā€

Could have been 2017, Iā€™ll try to find the video.

Maurice

Yeah could have been 2017. That was when Lange was done for blocking.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Tokyo could be a turning point for a lot of Pro's simply because the current Olympic distance is switching to a Sprint distance afterwards.

Not sure I understand the mentality of that really - if they want a shorter event (supposedly to be more viewer friendly) then they might as well ditch the Marathon and Road Cycling as well. (Never happen though will it!).

As for AB's chances in Kona? I think he'll do OK, but a big part of me thinks that McNamee will still be the highest place Brit. He's probably enjoying being completely off everyone's radar due to AB's presence. According to his social media stuff he's saved a good few watts with his bike positioning and recently swapped to Hoka Carbon X and likes them a lot.

And while on the subject of social media - If you believe what Holly Lawrence posts (she's a bit of a mischief-maker), she's stepping up to full for 2020...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree also with Monty and you

Race dynamics could be surprising, with a packed and different field ... and also depending on weather/wind ?

A lot of candidates for the podium :

Lange
Frodeno
Aernouts
McNamee
Beals
Brownlee
Sanders ?
Wurf ?
Boecherer ?
Kienle ?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just donā€™t see AB having that top end run speed that you need in ITU to contend. Yes, heā€™s been mixing up distances and going longer, but that short speed goes away as you get older, and age ainā€™t on his side.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Agree also with Monty and you

Race dynamics could be surprising, with a packed and different field ... and also depending on weather/wind ?

A lot of candidates for the podium :

Lange
Frodeno
Aernouts
McNamee
Beals
Brownlee
Sanders ?
Wurf ?
Boecherer ?
Kienle ?
Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
We're sorry about that. Please try again or contact support if you continue to have issues.
CancelRetry
[/url]

You left Daniela Ryf off the men's podium contenders!!! How many of these guys does she beat AGAIN!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason why they'll never remove the marathon or road race is because those sport's governing bodies don't want to change it because it's now tradition and well established. Even though it's the IOC who controls the Olympics; it's actually the individual sports governing bodies that dictate what is to be included in the olympics. The marathon is the marathon, you'll never see it get changed to the 13.1 for it's own history. Triathlon on the other hand I dont think has the history/clout/prestige to make "standard" distance the end all be all, etc. ITU has pretty much become a sprint distance format except for basically the championship races. But majority of WTS is now sprint distance + adding in the MTR and you get that sport specificity genre. Which when it goes full time to sprint distances, the line in the sand of sport specificity will be even more pronounced. You'll hardly ever see a ITU guy mix it up at the 70.3 distance in the same year because of just the specificity differences. Or shall I say you wont see guys who are highly successful able to race them both well in a short time period.

ITU guys can race a 70 right now really well because basically the training demands are more similiar than different. But you move to ITU guys having to focus more on pure speed than any real "aerobic" stuff and you'll see them with incredibly fast 1600m/5k splits and then start to fall off quicker than what we see now with ITU guys going from 10k to 13.1, etc. Add in the fact that the bike is going to then turn into a 26 min balls to the wall effort and you'll see guys very quickly either hack it in ITU or turn to non-draft earlier and earlier in their careers. I also think the move to the sprint distances will create shorter ITU careers just because of the speed demands.

But back to AB. I hope he has simply puts the hurt on Lange and we really see what Lange can do under more pressure than he's faced in a few years. I want to see what he has to do now in the chase group with the front group having better firepower. And AB doesn't have to even podium or top 5 to have a major impact on others who actually do/dont podium.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Crumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crumpy wrote:
https://simonward.podbean.com

As AB heads to Arizona for training prior to Hawaii, he gives a good review of his Nice 70.3 performance with lessons learned and expectations for Kona.

Thank you.

He says he'll try to hold back in Kona at the start of the bike.

We will see if he does :)

It was interesting hearing his review of Nice - maybe not as bad as it seemed from the outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The reason why they'll never remove the marathon or road race is because those sport's governing bodies don't want to change it because it's now tradition and well established. Even though it's the IOC who controls the Olympics; it's actually the individual sports governing bodies that dictate what is to be included in the olympics. The marathon is the marathon, you'll never see it get changed to the 13.1 for it's own history. Triathlon on the other hand I dont think has the history/clout/prestige to make "standard" distance the end all be all, etc. ITU has pretty much become a sprint distance format except for basically the championship races. But majority of WTS is now sprint distance + adding in the MTR and you get that sport specificity genre. Which when it goes full time to sprint distances, the line in the sand of sport specificity will be even more pronounced. You'll hardly ever see a ITU guy mix it up at the 70.3 distance in the same year because of just the specificity differences. Or shall I say you wont see guys who are highly successful able to race them both well in a short time period.

ITU guys can race a 70 right now really well because basically the training demands are more similiar than different. But you move to ITU guys having to focus more on pure speed than any real "aerobic" stuff and you'll see them with incredibly fast 1600m/5k splits and then start to fall off quicker than what we see now with ITU guys going from 10k to 13.1, etc. Add in the fact that the bike is going to then turn into a 26 min balls to the wall effort and you'll see guys very quickly either hack it in ITU or turn to non-draft earlier and earlier in their careers. I also think the move to the sprint distances will create shorter ITU careers just because of the speed demands.

But back to AB. I hope he has simply puts the hurt on Lange and we really see what Lange can do under more pressure than he's faced in a few years. I want to see what he has to do now in the chase group with the front group having better firepower. And AB doesn't have to even podium or top 5 to have a major impact on others who actually do/dont podium.

Has the ITU move to sprint distance been confirmed? I thought this was nothing beyond rumours up until this point.

I think the move to the majority of races in the calendar being sprint distance has been done to allow the athletes to race regularly at a high level. I've heard many ITU pros talk about the difference in recovery between sprint and Olympic distance.

In terms of training there may be more focus on red line efforts, but this will always be underpinned by large aerobic volume and lots of threshold work. I think this seems to be the philosophy of many of the top coaches (Fillip, Arild etc). So you may still get some overlap between ITU and 70.3.
Quote Reply

Prev Next