Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I agree no one is responsible for a person's emotions other than themselves. But it is really easy for some people to engage in exclusionary behaviour online (which keeps others away) and justify it by pointing to all those who stay who "get" their exclusionary behaviour. Its self fulfilling because you don't see all the poeple that walk away from Eric (and you) trending to towards being rude online (I am friends with Eric in real life, I don't really love how he behaves online, as its quit different from how he behaves in person...its almost like I am friends with the real life Eric and could do without the online Eric).

In any case, its a free world and you guys can engage in non adult behaviour around here if you want to and I can choose to call you guys out.

So you agree your reaction is your responsibility. So how you react, is solely up to you. Good, got that cleared up.

Also, at no point was this “exclusionary”. No one omitted anyone on basis of their native tongue, nationality,....ANYTHING. Not understanding something doesn’t make it “exclusionary “. People often joke...and this particular “joking” wasn’t malicious in ANY way. So, if you have hurt feelings, okay. But no one “hurt your feelings” you decided to be hurt. That’s on you.

I am not hurt at all. I am pointing out that unless you explicity state something is a joke online it may or may not come across as a joke to others. I know Eric is not THAT stupid that he does not know who bombed Pearl Harbour so its obviously a joke to ME. But clearly at least one person thought that Eric was another clueless American (joke in the the rest of the world that Americans don't know the difference between anyone outside their borders) not knowing his own history.

Seriously jokes don't work online unless you explicitly say its one. People from all over the world with different context. I believe Ai mentioned that.

Holy hell. You're actually serious? One person didn't get the joke, and you've extrapolated 8 million things from that that are simply not there.

You're policing jokes on a forum. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey its a free world. Just calling those guys out for not explicitly saying it was a joke and then putting down those who did not get it. I got it...I really did....I know Eric is not one of "those stupid guys who does not no the diff between a German and Japanese person"....just defending those who did not get the ref to the movie and don't actually know him....they may think he's just another of those ignorant guys with no international context.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:
I just spit out my coffee reading the super serious corrections about who bombed pearl harbor

Agreed. This thread literally just made the first half of my day!!

Sorry guys....don't make any references to any movies implied or otherwise. A, its rude to people from other cultures, B, even in the same place people may have not seen the movie. I am sure if the Germans around here or the Swedes around here made references to their movies that make fun of stupid <insert other nationality to make fun of> then you would not get it too.

There are plenty of people from all over the world here. No need to put others down. It just makes the place less interesting for people to partake in. Once we do that. we lose some of the value and perspective of the forum.

Lighten up, Francis.

Sorry, man, not lightening up. You and Eric should know better (Eric has lived all over the world and been an outside elsewhere, so he should definitely know better than to go down these these snarky paths in text). Some guy from another country for whom English is a second or third language but triathlon is our common knowledge won't get the reference. Better to spell it out and not put others down.

Unless someone calls you guys out, these behaviour just becomes commonly accepted. So someone has to say it and call you guys out.

Even when someone calls us out these behaviors will be accepted...you want to know why?? Because it's all in good natured fun. You might not agree, and that's fine. But you can read by the tone of EVERYONE that there is no malicious intent. If reading comprehension is only taught in one language i'd be shocked, and since that's the case...at first some might think this is "an attack of their country" but after a few responses, they'll see it's all in jest.

No one is responsible for your emotions except you. How you react is 100% on you.

I agree no one is responsible for a person's emotions other than themselves. But it is really easy for some people to engage in exclusionary behaviour online (which keeps others away) and justify it by pointing to all those who stay who "get" their exclusionary behaviour. Its self fulfilling because you don't see all the poeple that walk away from Eric (and you) trending to towards being rude online (I am friends with Eric in real life, I don't really love how he behaves online, as its quit different from how he behaves in person...its almost like I am friends with the real life Eric and could do without the online Eric).

In any case, its a free world and you guys can engage in non adult behaviour around here if you want to and I can choose to call you guys out.

You choose to call Eric out for his comments in THIS thread. đŸ€Ł
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

So you agree your reaction is your responsibility. So how you react, is solely up to you. Good, got that cleared up.

Also, at no point was this “exclusionary”. No one omitted anyone on basis of their native tongue, nationality,....ANYTHING. Not understanding something doesn’t make it “exclusionary “. People often joke...and this particular “joking” wasn’t malicious in ANY way. So, if you have hurt feelings, okay. But no one “hurt your feelings” you decided to be hurt. That’s on you.

I am not hurt at all. I am pointing out that unless you explicity state something is a joke online it may or may not come across as a joke to others. I know Eric is not THAT stupid that he does not know who bombed Pearl Harbour so its obviously a joke to ME. But clearly at least one person thought that Eric was another clueless American (joke in the the rest of the world that Americans don't know the difference between anyone outside their borders) not knowing his own history.

Seriously jokes don't work online unless you explicitly say its one. People from all over the world with different context. I believe Ai mentioned that.
So you’re saying there is a chance!?!?!?! Smh
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yeah, just say you're joking (or use pink font), or make the reference to the movie....something like "In the famed words of Belushi when he said the Germans bombed Pearl harbour...."....then its all explicit. No one has to read into it. its really that simple
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yeah, just say you're joking (or use pink font), or make the reference to the movie....something like "In the famed words of Belushi when he said the Germans bombed Pearl harbour...."....then its all explicit. No one has to read into it. its really that simple
Nothing ruins a joke faster then having to explain it. I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey its a free world. Just calling those guys out for not explicitly saying it was a joke and then putting down those who did not get it. I got it...I really did....I know Eric is not one of "those stupid guys who does not no the diff between a German and Japanese person"....just defending those who did not get the ref to the movie and don't actually know him....they may think he's just another of those ignorant guys with no international context.
“Calling out those guys...and then putting down those who did not get it.”

Uh, so why IN THE FLYING MONKEY FUCK are you replying to me? Please point out (be specific) where I put anyone down who didn’t get it. Let me see your Hero Homework. If (and let’s me clear, there is NO “if”) you find it, please produce it. If you don’t, please go away then. Now I am specifically attacking you as you have tried to paint me with lies. So you can fuck right off somewhere else!

I love how you have also tried to spin it as you’re saving Eric because YOU KNOW that he isn’t “just another of those ignorant guys with no international context.”

Seriously,You have found a small pile of crumbs and have declared the next Everest. Smfh
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because they bombed Pearl Harbor?
Pink?

That was the Japanese for one thing and regardless,

You need to watch more movies...
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Because they bombed Pearl Harbor?
Pink?

That was the Japanese for one thing and regardless,

You need to watch more movies...
How dare you attack him. You exclusionist!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can the OP change the title of this thread, i came here to read about Ali in Kona, but the last 2 pages are about some movie quote.

I did go and re watch the clip though, Quite Funny.

Scott in Whistler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread stinks. It reminds me of Dumb and Dumber where Jim Carrey blew up the bathroom and came out and dramatically said “Do NOT go in there!”

There , now everyone is included in the poop joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Nothing ruins a joke faster then having to explain it. I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

The whole point is if you don’t get the joke the joke’s on you.

Many people on here are much more obtuse than the joke made in this instance. If you want to talk about exclusionary language why aren’t the highly technical sciency posts being policed?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
This thread stinks. It reminds me of Dumb and Dumber where Jim Carrey blew up the bathroom and came out and dramatically said “Do NOT go in there!”

Ace Ventura
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

Uhh...you don’t really believe that is true for all jokes do you? Because, sometimes a person doesn’t get it...and so what. It doesn’t mean you all of a sudden are laughing at them. Please tell me this is a movie quote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
JYoung wrote:

Ace Ventura

Dang you’re right, I even thought that might be the case after posting , lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
JYoung wrote:

Ace Ventura

I had to think about it...but then I remembered Jeff Daniels blowing his guts out in Dumb and Dumber...and then it clicked. Lol. Still, both visuals from both movies made me chuckle just thinking of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kinda love that a Brownlee thread has devolved into an argument about two of my favorite comedy movies of all time. But let’s not kid ourselves, this argument is complete and utter idiocy.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing.

[DISCLAIMER: this is a note to everyone who not get movie references, but the above sentence is not from a movie for purposes of this post. I don’t want you to feel excluded, even though I didn’t use exclusionary movie quotes as to not exclude you from knowing, IF it had been for exclusionary purposes. I hope your feelings were not hurt in any way, by any thing, or by nothing, or for any reason....ever.]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
fulla wrote:

Uhh...you don’t really believe that is true for all jokes do you? Because, sometimes a person doesn’t get it...and so what. It doesn’t mean you all of a sudden are laughing at them. Please tell me this is a movie quote.

Jokes on you man. 😜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
JYoung wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
JYoung wrote:

Ace Ventura

I had to think about it...but then I remembered Jeff Daniels blowing his guts out in Dumb and Dumber...and then it clicked. Lol. Still, both visuals from both movies made me chuckle just thinking of them.

I think it’s the patĂ©

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but seriously , how will Brownlee’s British teeth affect his aero in the humidity of Kona?

Do they wind tunnel test that sort of thing ?

#konaishumid
#britishhavebadteeth
#justexplainthejokeinhashtag
Last edited by: JYoung: Aug 30, 19 22:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:,,,what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Aug 30, 19 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can’t handle the truth!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for one didnt know it was a movie quote so I just laughed thinking it was a funny joke
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. Did not get the reference but definitely understood that it was a reference I didn't pick up on.

Dont assume we're stupid just because we aren't native English speakers ;)
Last edited by: Schnellinger: Aug 31, 19 22:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next