Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, i'm not saying that this predicts failure. i'm a big brownlee fan and hope he blasts it.

i'm just saying that i think for elite OD athletes, the big shift to IM isn't really about fitness. the strength and depth in the ITU field is just crazy these days. instead, i think the big shift is the stuff i mentioned.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry but you will all have to stop speculating about his motivations for doing this race vs Leeds and Tokyo. Just read what he says about it himself, instead :-)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/...-triathlons-in-2020/

Warning: The Sun is a total shitrag and you might not like some of the other content on the web page.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
NUFCrichard wrote:
I'd expect him to be a front pack swimmer, maybe 2nd off the bike after Wurf, but he will blow up in the heat on the run.
Either DNF or 5th-10th.

I'm from northern England too, we don't like the heat and humidity!

A high of 60F, that's heat for you?

60F. ??? Scorchio !
We're in shorts and tee shirts at anything about 50F
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the off topic, but in Newcastle upon Tyne (where I'm from), it has never been recorded above 30°C/86°F ever. It has also been colder than -8°C/17.6°F.
It'll be similar for Leeds. Extreme temperatures aren't our thing!

As for Johnny being the real Ironman in the family, he struggles with the heat just as much. I guess everyone still remembers him being carried over the line by his brother in a hot race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lastly, for the people saying you can’t train for lc and sc at the same time, look at kejelcha running fast 1500 and HM within weeks, which arguably is a lot more different than sc and lc

——-
Give me examples in triathlon of athletes going back and forth between IM and ITU within the same year and it working out really really well.

Even Gomez is giving up LC training for next year and a half to focus on Tokyo prep. I’m guessing he goes back to LC post Tokyo.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macca might disagree - remember his "olympic dream"?//

You mean when he was at the end of his career, well past his sprinting prime?? Listen, you could throw out a whole bunch of names to support your point of view, but it is one person we are talking about here, the greatest sprint triathlete of all time, still within his prime age wise. Mark Allen was able to switch from top sprinter to ironman within the season. As I recall he would take about 4 or 5 months to focus on Kona after a sprint season. He did pretty well. Greg Welch was another that could almost flip a switch from sprint to ironman.

I'm not saying he is going to win Kona, not at all. I just think he can give it a good go, and no one really knows if you are going to be good at that particular venue, until you do it. And sometimes it takes a few starts to know that too. I think Frodo nailed it right away, he just had some bad luck in his first try. Gomez had something going on he needs to figure out, but he got to see what it is all about at least. Maybe it won't be for him, like Lessing, or Spencer, or a lot of world champions that moved up. It will be fun to see if just the distance will suit Ali, without all the Kona variables thrown in. That is kind of the first test, isn't it? Just do 8 hours of solid racing and fueling, with the proper pace, then we can talk about Kona..

I just dont think it is out of the ordinary for him to try this if he chooses, he will be following a long line of great athletes who raced before him. And in his mind, no reason to think that he is any less capable than any of the past champions, in fact, he can believe he can go even further...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really curious to see how his achilles will not blow up? Especially on long course / marathon.
His achilles have been a problem in the past and I'm wondering how he can maintain his toe running stride.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm you need to go back and look at Javiers results.

Oh yes - I considered all of that. Maybe he has not put in the time, and garnered the experience needed to consistently race well at the FULL IM distance.

My point is that, as someone else mentioned, there are WAY more variables involved in the FULL IM.

He is an extraordinary triathlete. What I find odd is that unless you win Kona, you don't get the GOAT moniker - at least here anyway!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
although he might have been poorly suited to Kona.

With the Kona obsessed, this needs to be addressed, and worth talking about. The Kona course all combined, is very selective. If you don't go well in the heat and humidity. If you can't hold BIG sustained watts on the bike. If you can't swim within x-minutes of the main front pack. You are going to be working behind the 8-ball in Kona!

Of course it's the same for everyone, and there's no secret here. EVERYONE knows what it's like. However, I've often asked this question. Take the top-20 from Kona each year and put them on a cooler weather course or one with some decent climbs on the bike and the run - what would the Top-20 look like in those latter scenarios? How different would it be?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
oscaro wrote:
Definitely not only triathlon, just look at Mo Farah, 3:28 1500 and then a 2:05 marathon which is 30x the distance. Same goes for Kipchoge, Choge, Bekele, Geb, Rupp to name a few.
In fact I would argue the contrary, especially seeing as Olympic tri is a long event in its own and largely aerobic. Sure the athletes coming from ITU likely will have an adaptation period learning pacing and nutrition, but in general the people who are great over 2h l, are gonna be great over 8h.

Lastly, for the people saying you can’t train for lc and sc at the same time, look at kejelcha running fast 1500 and HM within weeks, which arguably is a lot more different than sc and lc

yeah, the thing is you don't fail at ironman because you run out of breath. you fail at ironman because of nutrition, pacing, gear selection, strategy . . . those little things are really the biggest thing, in an 8-hour race.

I am aware of that, however that still doesn’t explain why he wouldn’t succeed? Obviously gear selection is not an issue, and for sure he will have to learn better nutrition strategies, but he has a good team to help him with that. He will learn pacing and strategy just as everyone else, but that still doesn’t explain why people think his ceiling is 70.3. Pointing to run form or biomechanics is also just wrong, since that is impossible to gauge from visuals alone.
Sure, he is injury prone, but his injury risk will go down as he goes long, since he won’t be doing fast quarters.

The only thing I can see getting in the way is his ability to deal with the heat. He's one of the best swimmers, bikers and runners. Not many top guys can tick all 3 boxes, plus he races with such motivation and aggression. Physically, mentally and strategically he's got it. Against the top LC guys in the world he would win in an Ironman, it just might not be Kona. I'd expect him to finish top 5 in his first Kona, most likely podium, but not sure about the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with you. Heat won't be much a problem for him in Ireland.

Maybe the IM WC needs to rotate out of Kona so Brownlee and others have a better shot? just kidding a little

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Even Gomez is giving up LC training for next year and a half to focus on Tokyo prep. I’m guessing he goes back to LC post Tokyo.

Gomez just loves to race. You can see it on his face at every event he takes part in.

Pmswanepoel wrote:
Personally, I won't be high fiving anyone just yet that AB is going to Kona. When he is on the start line I will believe it.

I'm with you. Personally, I'd like like someone to beat the Germans in Kona.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Yorkshire to Kona part 1

Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
...I'm with you. Personally, I'd like like someone to beat the Germans in Kona.
Why? What have you got against "the Germans"?
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Because they bombed Pearl Harbor?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

HA! Good one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

It was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbour.

Now that Anne Haug is going to Kona there is a good chance Germany will have three or four athletes between the men's and women's podium this year. It will be good to get some different countries into the mix and spice things up. I hope that there will be break through performances from a few athletes and a changing of the guard.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Pink?

That was the Japanese for one thing and regardless, I'm pretty sure none of those involved in WWII are currently doing triathlon at that level.
As regards holding a grudge against nationalities for past actions by their governments or their representatives, there are plenty other countries arguably as guilty as Germany and Japan, but for most people it all comes down to perspective and which side their country has been on. Britain, USA, Russia, France, Germany, China, Japan, Mongolia, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, and plenty others have all been murdering bastards on a massive scale at one time or another. Most, if not all, have also participated in state sponsored slavery, religious intolerance, racism, drug trading, and more.....
If you're going to hold anyone responsible for the historical crimes of their home country, consider where you stand yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Now that Anne Haug is going to Kona there is a good chance Germany will have three or four athletes between the men's and women's podium this year. It will be good to get some different countries into the mix and spice things up. I hope that there will be break through performances from a few athletes and a changing of the guard.

Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life son...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Pink?

That was the Japanese for one thing and regardless, I'm pretty sure none of those involved in WWII are currently doing triathlon at that level.
As regards holding a grudge against nationalities for past actions by their governments or their representatives, there are plenty other countries arguably as guilty as Germany and Japan, but for most people it all comes down to perspective and which side their country has been on. Britain, USA, Russia, France, Germany, China, Japan, Mongolia, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, and plenty others have all been murdering bastards on a massive scale at one time or another. Most, if not all, have also participated in state sponsored slavery, religious intolerance, racism, drug trading, and more.....
If you're going to hold anyone responsible for the historical crimes of their home country, consider where you stand yourself.

Don’t stop me, I’m on a roll...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Above poster obviously had a 0.0 GPA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
earthling wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:

Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life son...

Slowman is about to put you on double secret probation......

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely some Flounder candidates on this board, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am always amazed at the number of people who don't get that movie reference, and then give the obvious correction. It should be required viewing.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's anything wrong with having friendly rivalries with countries in Sport , in football England Vs Germany/Scotland/Argintina have always been historical rivalries (being English)

Having said that for me it doesn't really translate to individual sports as they're not really representing there countries, I can understand someone not wanting athletes from a perticular country to dominate and have a bit of a changing of the guard, they've won the last 5 Konas is it?

Nothing to get all hissy over I don't think.
Quote Reply

Prev Next