Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad! I had no idea ha ha!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
I am always amazed at the number of people who don't get that movie reference, and then give the obvious correction. It should be required viewing.

I shook my head several times in disappointment reading the last few comments “correcting” who bombed Pearl Harbor.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
My bad! I had no idea ha ha!
I think it mostly just separates us old farts from the young'uns on here.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about to lose my shizzle... thank goodness some others chimed in with the correct responses...

The GMAN wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
I am always amazed at the number of people who don't get that movie reference, and then give the obvious correction. It should be required viewing.

I shook my head several times in disappointment reading the last few comments “correcting” who bombed Pearl Harbor.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

I still have no idea where the reference is from. Movie references are often regional or generational. Pick one from Life of Brian and I'm safe ;)

To be fair, there's enough stupidity and ignorance doing the rounds that nothing surprises me anymore, and it's often far from obvious whether you're reading sarcasm/cultural reference versus ignorance/stupidity.

Relieved this wasn't legit
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:
...I'm with you. Personally, I'd like like someone to beat the Germans in Kona.

Why? What have you got against "the Germans"?

Because they bombed Pearl Harbor?

It was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbour.

Now that Anne Haug is going to Kona there is a good chance Germany will have three or four athletes between the men's and women's podium this year. It will be good to get some different countries into the mix and spice things up. I hope that there will be break through performances from a few athletes and a changing of the guard.

Drax: "Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast!"
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
earthling wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
PJC wrote:
...I'm with you. Personally, I'd like like someone to beat the Germans in Kona.

Why? What have you got against "the Germans"?

Because they bombed Pearl Harbor?

It was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbour.

Now that Anne Haug is going to Kona there is a good chance Germany will have three or four athletes between the men's and women's podium this year. It will be good to get some different countries into the mix and spice things up. I hope that there will be break through performances from a few athletes and a changing of the guard.

Drax: "Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast!"

OMG! The Japanese bombed Pearl Habour!? President Trump is going to retaliate so hard. The biggest retaliation you've ever seen. It'll be YUGE!
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's from a Belushi speech in the movie Animal House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-xgd_eETE

(Not sure how to embed)
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I was about to lose my shizzle... thank goodness some others chimed in with the correct responses...

The GMAN wrote:
mbwallis wrote:

We would have laughed in the LR. Good reference!

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
It's from a Belushi speech in the movie Animal House.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-xgd_eETE

(Not sure how to embed)

Such a good rant......still makes me laugh every time I hear it.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [sharkd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just spit out my coffee reading the super serious corrections about who bombed pearl harbor
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
I just spit out my coffee reading the super serious corrections about who bombed pearl harbor
Agreed. This thread literally just made the first half of my day!!
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [GrisGris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrisGris wrote:
Definitely some Flounder candidates on this board, that's for sure.

Your name is... Pinto.

Why Pinto?

(Burp) Why not.

------------------------------------------------

By the way... here's my new conspiracy theory: Is it possible that Ironman is paying Brownlee to race this one with an appearance fee?
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Aug 30, 19 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It ain't over till WE say it is!!!

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chapeau!!! You win 10 internets today...

weakandpuny wrote:
It ain't over till WE say it is!!!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Sorry guys....don't make any references to any movies implied or otherwise. A, its rude to people from other cultures, B, even in the same place people may have not seen the movie. I am sure if the Germans around here or the Swedes around here made references to their movies that make fun of stupid <insert other nationality to make fun of> then you would not get it too.

There are plenty of people from all over the world here. No need to put others down. It just makes the place less interesting for people to partake in. Once we do that. we lose some of the value and perspective of the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Brownlee going for KONA! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Sorry guys....don't make any references to any movies implied or otherwise. A, its rude to people from other cultures, B, even in the same place people may have not seen the movie. I am sure if the Germans around here or the Swedes around here made references to their movies that make fun of stupid <insert other nationality to make fun of> then you would not get it too.

There are plenty of people from all over the world here. No need to put others down. It just makes the place less interesting for people to partake in. Once we do that. we lose some of the value and perspective of the forum.
Lighten up, Francis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Sorry, man, not lightening up. You and Eric should know better (Eric has lived all over the world and been an outside elsewhere, so he should definitely know better than to go down these these snarky paths in text). Some guy from another country for whom English is a second or third language but triathlon is our common knowledge won't get the reference. Better to spell it out and not put others down.

Unless someone calls you guys out, these behaviour just becomes commonly accepted. So someone has to say it and call you guys out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Sorry, man, not lightening up. You and Eric should know better (Eric has lived all over the world and been an outside elsewhere, so he should definitely know better than to go down these these snarky paths in text). Some guy from another country for whom English is a second or third language but triathlon is our common knowledge won't get the reference. Better to spell it out and not put others down.

Unless someone calls you guys out, these behaviour just becomes commonly accepted. So someone has to say it and call you guys out.
Even when someone calls us out these behaviors will be accepted...you want to know why?? Because it's all in good natured fun. You might not agree, and that's fine. But you can read by the tone of EVERYONE that there is no malicious intent. If reading comprehension is only taught in one language i'd be shocked, and since that's the case...at first some might think this is "an attack of their country" but after a few responses, they'll see it's all in jest.

No one is responsible for your emotions except you. How you react is 100% on you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Even when someone calls us out these behaviors will be accepted...you want to know why?? Because it's all in good natured fun. You might not agree, and that's fine. But you can read by the tone of EVERYONE that there is no malicious intent. If reading comprehension is only taught in one language i'd be shocked, and since that's the case...at first some might think this is "an attack of their country" but after a few responses, they'll see it's all in jest.

No one is responsible for your emotions except you. How you react is 100% on you.

I agree no one is responsible for a person's emotions other than themselves. But it is really easy for some people to engage in exclusionary behaviour online (which keeps others away) and justify it by pointing to all those who stay who "get" their exclusionary behaviour. Its self fulfilling because you don't see all the poeple that walk away from Eric (and you) trending to towards being rude online (I am friends with Eric in real life, I don't really love how he behaves online, as its quit different from how he behaves in person...its almost like I am friends with the real life Eric and could do without the online Eric).

In any case, its a free world and you guys can engage in non adult behaviour around here if you want to and I can choose to call you guys out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Another great movie quote!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
y_nigel wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.

Are you kidding? It’s a quote from animal house. It’s comedy. Sad you or anyone else doesn’t get it. If this bothers you I feel sorry for you. You must walk around made at everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I agree no one is responsible for a person's emotions other than themselves. But it is really easy for some people to engage in exclusionary behaviour online (which keeps others away) and justify it by pointing to all those who stay who "get" their exclusionary behaviour. Its self fulfilling because you don't see all the poeple that walk away from Eric (and you) trending to towards being rude online (I am friends with Eric in real life, I don't really love how he behaves online, as its quit different from how he behaves in person...its almost like I am friends with the real life Eric and could do without the online Eric).

In any case, its a free world and you guys can engage in non adult behaviour around here if you want to and I can choose to call you guys out.
So you agree your reaction is your responsibility. So how you react, is solely up to you. Good, got that cleared up.

Also, at no point was this “exclusionary”. No one omitted anyone on basis of their native tongue, nationality,....ANYTHING. Not understanding something doesn’t make it “exclusionary “. People often joke...and this particular “joking” wasn’t malicious in ANY way. So, if you have hurt feelings, okay. But no one “hurt your feelings” you decided to be hurt. That’s on you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid is as stupid does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

So you agree your reaction is your responsibility. So how you react, is solely up to you. Good, got that cleared up.

Also, at no point was this “exclusionary”. No one omitted anyone on basis of their native tongue, nationality,....ANYTHING. Not understanding something doesn’t make it “exclusionary “. People often joke...and this particular “joking” wasn’t malicious in ANY way. So, if you have hurt feelings, okay. But no one “hurt your feelings” you decided to be hurt. That’s on you.

I am not hurt at all. I am pointing out that unless you explicity state something is a joke online it may or may not come across as a joke to others. I know Eric is not THAT stupid that he does not know who bombed Pearl Harbour so its obviously a joke to ME. But clearly at least one person thought that Eric was another clueless American (joke in the the rest of the world that Americans don't know the difference between anyone outside their borders) not knowing his own history.

Seriously jokes don't work online unless you explicitly say its one. People from all over the world with different context. I believe Ai mentioned that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next