Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [MDD1997] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy crap things are quite here...was going to do my first outdoor ride tomorrow, but with 33 degrees at 6am....nope...computrainer course it is.
As far a the tshirt tag line, I was just looking at my 5 Amzof shirts...my first shirt was from the last fall time race in 2009. I love the line...Crushing dreams since 2005
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-shirt: American Zofingen. Helping you hurt yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [rodwilsonsr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great line.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [khauver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khauver wrote:
sometimes is better to not know. The bottom line is-you will not have enough gears and the red bull at the run aid station turned out to be the nectar of the gods. BEST RACE EVER- LC AMZOF 2013

I'm salivating now just thinking about it. I never drink Red Bull but holy shit that was fantastic at 6hrs into the race.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went up yesterday and did a couple of loops, wet roads in the morning with a little rain reminded me of last year but yesterday the weather held. There are some good pot holes and rough road and as others have mentioned the shoulder was sketchy in parts, gravel and cracked surface. The middle of the road for descents. A good size buck crossed the road about 30 meters in front of me on Lower Granite, he seemed to come out of nowhere. I can also confirm all the hills are still right where they were last year.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel or B&B near the race site? I visit the area frequently, but I've never spent the night.

John
http://familysportlife.net/
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [FamilySportLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this date, anything you can find should be "decent." There are several college graduations in the area that weekend, and it can be tough to find a place. No recommendations on places, I go as cheap as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the place that shares a parking lot with the strip club. Nothing like trying to sleep as tricks are being turned in the room next door.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um yeah, certainly not that one. Um which one so I can steer clear? You know, safety precaution and all.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
Um yeah, certainly not that one. Um which one so I can steer clear? You know, safety precaution and all.

Ahh, the infamous New Paltz Ballet. I believe the establishment that Boots is referring to is the Econo Lodge. Do what you will with that info.

For those still looking for lodging, keep in mind Kingston and Newburgh are not that far away. Fishkill is also an option ( there are several hotels around the intersection of interstate 84 / Route 9 ), but is a bit further out.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't remember for sure but I think econolodge.

The esteemed race director was nice enough to arrange the room for my wife and I. Let's just say he didn't earn any points with her that year.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was up that way Saturday and noticed what looked like a NEW Hilton Garden "type" hotel an exit or 2 south - right off the highway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check on Airbnb. Saw a few things listed in New Paltz, Gardiner and High Falls. Closer to the course and often cheaper than a good hotel. Our house in new Paltz is listed but not live for that weekend as I'm racing. The ten minute race morning commute is worth it I think. pm me if you don't find anything, no one wants you staying at the 87 motel or the econolodge of ill repute ;)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it the descent off Minnewaska where you found the rough road / potholes? I scouted the Mohonk end of the course a couple weeks ago and that part seemed pretty smooth.

Today officially is the start of the freakout period prior to the race. Haven't trained enough for Middle Distance, been drinking too much and eating crap food, carrying too many extra lb's, debating dropping down to CWD.. all of it. I think I'm only at Stage-2/3 of the 5 stages of Loss and Grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. The last two may have to wait for race day.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that was the road- pretty sketchy in stretches. Just fast forward to acceptance- a long day with some great views in a great setting peppered with trial and tribulation-see you there
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I was up that way Saturday and noticed what looked like a NEW Hilton Garden "type" hotel an exit or 2 south - right off the highway.

don't see it? which town would that be?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be Fishkill... there are plenty of moderately priced chain hotels there and its no more than a half-hour ride up to New Paltz. I stayed at one in Fishkill for last year's race.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks.
so fishkill is close enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it still too early to start training for this? I'm thinking I should give myself one more week of low volume off season work before ramping it up. I don't want to peak too early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishkill is close enough... its almost all expressway from the main drag where the hotels are located, so the drive isn't too bad. Prices seem moderately lower there as well compared to New Paltz / Poughkeepsie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all i know is that i'm hearing ML might be racing CDW this year...
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Not the place that shares a parking lot with the strip club. Nothing like trying to sleep as tricks are being turned in the room next door.

Where is that? I need to make plans for my post race "massage"
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
all i know is that i'm hearing ML might be racing CDW this year...

Heard the same thing.

Relegation (Cajun man voice)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also heard last years CWD champion put on the Freshman fifteen....

I guess I picked the wrong year to do long course, it looks like there might be some nice scalps available in the CWD this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry - not sure, I just noticed it while heading south on 87.
Quote Reply

Prev Next