Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lost a shoe within the first mile when I was down there two weeks ago in the bog/field before you get into the first climb...could still be swampy in two more weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't be too too bad - it's been warmer and breezy the past few days. I'll know better by later this afternoon.

Also - they are doing a controlled burn at the Gunks today, in the Undercliff/Overcliff section (the rock climbing cliff area, above the hairpin turn) The Gunks trails in that section are closed, but I'm 99% sure the ones are Spring Farm will be open. Whew!
Hoping it's not too smoky riding thru there.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please allow myself, to bump myself.

Successful mini-recon today - did 1 lap bike, 1 lap run. I'd normally do 2 & 1, but then I channeled my inner Canadian Womens, and decided enough was enough.
I didn't want my vagina writing checks, my labia couldn't cash. Eh? ;-)
About 1:30 ride time from the lower lot - Joule gave me 52 max speed on the Mohonk descent, Garmin only a little over 50.
Stupid smart recording.

Bike course is in good to very good shape. Most of the roads are quite good, not a ton of new winter damage, for the most part.
The descent from Minne is a bit rough in spots, and there's no one good line you can take to avoid it all. It's not awful, and the worst of it is easily avoided, but be aware that at times, you'll want to take the lane, or be all the way out by the double-yellow, and other times hugging the shoulder.

Run course is *mostly* dry. Except where it isn't.
The 2 most swampy bits were the first grass section after the start, but not so much before the wooden footbridge, that was just damp. Beyond it was pretty mucky for a ways.
Not the 'suck your shoes right off your feet' swamp thang from '11, but something to be aware of.
The other part was just after that little creek crossing at the low point - before it was suprisingly not too wet, but beyond it was mud, and the very first part of the first hill you hit there was very muddy too.
Almost everything else was quite dry, and actually a bit dusty in parts. Carriage roads in perfect condition. Foliage not even in yet.

PS - the Pavillion is getting a lovely new roof!

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: May 7, 14 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
The descent from Minne is a bit rough in spots, and there's no one good line you can take to avoid it all. It's not awful, and the worst of it is easily avoided, but be aware that at times, you'll want to take the lane, or be all the way out by the double-yellow, and other times hugging the shoulder.

Is the above the 1'st decent?

All else sounds good - 10 1/2 days to go............
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rookie.

Uh, no. That'd be Mohonk.
That's still the chamois-soiling E-ticket ride you're so fond of.

(Did I mention? 52 mph w zero aero goodies today.)

Minnewaska is the high point of the second, long, stair-stepped climb.
The backside of that has always been a bit rough in spots.
Nothing's changed.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news.

As for 52 MPH - weight does over-ride aero on decents :)

And more importantly - what was your speed going UP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 3rd best time, according to Strava.
Wasn't hitting it all that hard.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Huh... perhaps you should take the maple leaf skort off...

10 days out... it is taper time. Looking back over the spring, I ended up doing about 2x the biking, and about 1/3rd the running vs previous years due to a wonky Achilles. I am real curious to see how this works out. Earlier in the spring I had hopes of boying up to the the mid distance, but my run is just not there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JensonUSA just e-mailed me an ad for a 10-42 cassette. How did they know that this is exactly what I need this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Thanks for the recon. Sounds like the same old same old.

For you newbies out there I suggest a little extra air in the tires. It seems like there's always one or two people at the side of the road on this stretch fixing pinch flats. The early morning shadows or thick fog can make it hard to see some of the pot holes in time to react - I know I've hit my fair share.

I'm also going to be in the CWD this year. Is there an award for finishing with the least amount of training?

My forecast for race day is for rain, and lots of it, mixed with a little bit of sleet after Noon. Hey, I can dream!

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blwmhv wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Huh... perhaps you should take the maple leaf skort off...

10 days out... it is taper time. Looking back over the spring, I ended up doing about 2x the biking, and about 1/3rd the running vs previous years due to a wonky Achilles. I am real curious to see how this works out. Earlier in the spring I had hopes of boying up to the the mid distance, but my run is just not there.

F1 is very tough w subpar run fitness. That was me, last year.
I did OK in '10 on solid run/ok bike fitness.
But the reverse last year was brutal.

Is it time already to start freaking out about the weather?
Good times.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Rookie.

Uh, no. That'd be Mohonk.
That's still the chamois-soiling E-ticket ride you're so fond of.

(Did I mention? 52 mph w zero aero goodies today.)

Minnewaska is the high point of the second, long, stair-stepped climb.
The backside of that has always been a bit rough in spots.
Nothing's changed.

Behind Tiorati, my second favorite race descent! Unfortunately going to miss it and all the festivities this year.

Enjoy my friend! And, Good Luck!

Hope that new roof doesn't come into play, guess last year took its toll ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Is it time already to start freaking out about the weather?

I don't know. Given my experience over the past three years, I think that am going to throw everything I own into a garbage bag and figure out what I am going to wear about 20 mins before Tetsuoni strangles a cat.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer yer not gonna be there!

I agree, Mohonk and Tiorati are both silly-fun descents.
Savageman had some good stuff like that too. Should add it to your bucket list.

I keep getting popup ads for fog machines and roofing nails.
How do the interwebs know what I'm thinking???!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Savageman get rid of the swim - or is your fog machine that portable?
I actually swim less than you.
Which is zero, cuz jumping off my boat to pee don't count!
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If *I* can doggie-paddle my way thru a HIM swim on virtually zero swim training (and I have), you most certainly could also.

But yes - I pretty much avoid doing so like the plague these days, so I hear ya.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I just spent the last hour re-reading last year's AmZof thread. It was glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEYb_6lgmk

I'm only 2lbs away from race weight now, and am doing a recon mission of the course tomorrow afternoon.
Game on. Bitches.

Your race weight post got me worried, so I'm following this really cool guy's advice for the next few days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgeYhCjOwI

Just like he said, no eating after six. Just booze.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bltri wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I just spent the last hour re-reading last year's AmZof thread. It was glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEYb_6lgmk

I'm only 2lbs away from race weight now, and am doing a recon mission of the course tomorrow afternoon.
Game on. Bitches.

Your race weight post got me worried, so I'm following this really cool guy's advice for the next few days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgeYhCjOwI

Just like he said, no eating after six. Just booze.

Hey! That bastard, he stole my diet plan!!!
3 for a PB (tm) isn't just for the night before the race - it's a way of life.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a hero. I better see low 2:30s with that killer W/O. I hope you didn't enjoy any refreshments at the otter either..... you didn't earn it.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [KMILES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one bike, one run, and one beer. (and one root beer too).

I guess if I'd had 3 tubs of ice cream, you'd approve?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you planning to defend? Btw - Great race in St Croix. We were rooting for you guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, we had awesome weather and no major storms so I feel like I kinda got scammed but I'm planning to be back there next year.

As ML so graciously pointed out I'm currently suffering a sugar and junk food addiction. Me and all my mass don't have any cofidence in the ability to do anything other than show up and kick Baker's ass but I promised not to return as a consecutive canadian women, so I will miss out on the Chili and chance to defend. Good luck to everyone racing. I'm sure you won't let the old pig on the p5 finish as fastest female Canuck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KMILES wrote:
Thanks, we had awesome weather and no major storms so I feel like I kinda got scammed but I'm planning to be back there next year.

As ML so graciously pointed out I'm currently suffering a sugar and junk food addiction. Me and all my mass don't have any cofidence in the ability to do anything other than show up and kick Baker's ass but I promised not to return as a consecutive canadian women, so I will miss out on the Chili and chance to defend. Good luck to everyone racing. I'm sure you won't let the old pig on the p5 finish as fastest female Canuck.

As our dear friend Chris would have said, "weak"

A real man, like KAlber did St. Croix and AmZof LC last year. Of course now he is too hobbled to even do CWD.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: May 8, 14 23:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"LIKE" button

I think I'm going to need to rent a mini uHaul trailer to bring all of the gear in case it rains, snows, blows, whatever...
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that the weather guys know shit this far out...

ThuMay 15

69°
51°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:40% WIND:SSW at 6 mph
Details
FriMay 16

67°
50°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:10% WIND:W at 5 mph
Details